Best Blu-ray Deals

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Avengers (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Deadwood: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$58.99
Entourage: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$96.99
Treme: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$64.99
Guardians of the Galaxy 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$89.99
Rise of the Guardians 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
X-Men Collection (Blu-ray)
$60.58
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3D (Blu-ray)
$69.99
Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 8 (Blu-ray)
$25.89
Big Hero 6 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Dark Knight Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$39.00
The Maze Runner (Blu-ray)
$19.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 05-16-2008, 01:00 AM   #1

Aug 2007
Default Aladdin Blu-ray Coming Soon?

Not to start another one of these but this was found on what is the UK's MPAA. Instead of not having to be rated bonus features must be rated in the the UK. Well this popped up...

This work was passed with no cuts made.

The BBFC has placed this work in the ADDITIONAL PRODUCTION MATERIAL genre(s).
The main spoken language in this work is English.

Directed by John Musker; Ron Clements
The cast for this work includes: Robin Williams (voice), Scott Weinger (voice), Linda Larkin (voice), Jonathan Freeman (voice), Frank Welker (voice), Gilbert Gottfried (voice).

When submitted to the BBFC the work had a running time of 86m 38s.

This work was submitted to the BBFC by Buena Vista Home Entertainment .
Buena Vista Home Entertainment identified this work as Additional material: MUSICAL MASTERPIECE - ALADDIN

apparently it is a bonus feature with the EXACT run time as the film. it was just listed yesterday. Also it seems Aladdin was removed from the Platinum Line due to it's poor sales which could warrant Disney to release it without pulling it out of the vault.

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/website/Classi...d?OpenDocument

Last edited by nomad2010; 05-16-2008 at 02:15 AM.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:38 AM   #2

Apr 2007

i'd prefer this or beauty and the beast.
I'm one of those who isn't too happy with Sleeping Beauty. While I respect the history of animation, Sleeping Beauty is probably my least favorite Disney Animated feature.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:42 AM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2007
Long Island, N.Y.; 3D blu-rays look stunning; Favorite food: Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart_Larkin View Post
I'm one of those who isn't too happy with Sleeping Beauty. While I respect the history of animation, Sleeping Beauty is probably my least favorite Disney Animated feature.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:16 AM   #4

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart_Larkin View Post
Well Beauty & the Beast is like the cream of the crop Platinum title compared to Snow White. But that's just it, it's a Platinum title which means only two a year. Now that Aladdin is no longer Platinum it can be released anytime at all.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:21 AM   #5
Special Member

Mar 2008
Somewhere you aren't.

I love Aladdin. Does this mean they're restoring the cut scenes? Including the opening theme lyrics which were changed?
Old 05-16-2008, 02:37 AM   #6
Blu-ray Champion

May 2007

They will never restore those lyrics, just like they'll never put the "racist" shots back in Fantasia
Old 05-16-2008, 02:57 AM   #7
Power Member

Jan 2008
Illinois

would buy this day one for sure... i loved this movie and watched the VHS to death when i was a kid
It's on random.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:05 AM   #8

Jan 2008

My girl wants this really bad.....so i will be buying it !!!
Mitsubishi 57" DLP HDTV - 1080p
Onkyo 805
Yamaha - Fronts, Bose - center, and rears
Boston Acoustics 10'' Sub
80GB PS3 - Murff81
Harmony One w/ PS3 support

http://www.dvdspot.com/list.php?memb...i81&list=owned
Old 05-16-2008, 03:16 AM   #9
Suspended

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad2010 View Post
Well Beauty & the Beast is like the cream of the crop Platinum title compared to Snow White. But that's just it, it's a Platinum title which means only two a year. Now that Aladdin is no longer Platinum it can be released anytime at all.
...Uh, we're assuming the OP is still referring to the UK release, right?
Old 05-16-2008, 03:16 AM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Seal Beach, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickyWoo View Post
They will never restore those lyrics, just like they'll never put the "racist" shots back in Fantasia
????What was the problem with the Music at the beginning of Aladdin?
Old 05-16-2008, 03:20 AM   #11
Banned

Oct 2007
Los Angeles

If Aladdin is coming.... I am one happy man. But my lady is 10x happier! Love this movie. I bet it will sparkle in blu... but I haven't heard anything about this before. Definitely will be coming out next year earliest...
Old 05-16-2008, 04:22 AM   #12
Special Member

Mar 2008
Somewhere you aren't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith View Post
????What was the problem with the Music at the beginning of Aladdin?
From Wikipedia:

"One of the verses of the opening song "Arabian Nights" was altered following protests from the American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee. The lyrics were changed in July 1993 from "Where they cut off your ear if they don't like your face/It's barbaric, but, hey, it's home," in the original release to "Where it's flat and immense and the heat is intense/It's barbaric, but, hey, it's home." The change first appeared on the 1993 video release.[21] The original lyric was intact on the initial CD soundtrack release, but the re-release uses the edited lyric. Entertainment Weekly ranked Aladdin in a list of the most controversial films in history, due to this incident.[22]

Aladdin is a really controversial film:

Similarities to The Thief and the Cobbler
Animation enthusiasts have noticed similarities between Aladdin and Richard Williams's unfinished film The Thief and the Cobbler (also known as Arabian Knight under Miramax Films and The Princess and the Cobbler under Majestic Films International). These similarities include a similar plot, similar characters, scenes and background designs, and the antagonist Zig-Zag's resemblance in character design and mannerisms to Genie and Jafar.[24][25] Though Aladdin was released prior to The Thief and the Cobbler, The Thief and the Cobbler was started much earlier in the 1960s, its production being mired in difficulties including financial problems, copyright issues (when it was about Mulla Nasruddin in the 1970s), and late production times caused by separate studios trying to finish the film after Richard Williams was fired from the project for lack of finished work.[26] The late release, coupled with Miramax (a Disney-owned studio) purchasing and re-editing the film, has sometimes resulted in The Thief and the Cobbler being labeled a "copy" of Aladdin.[25]

[edit] Robin Williams and the Disney studio
In gratitude for his success with the Disney/Touchstone film Good Morning, Vietnam, Robin Williams voiced the Genie for SAG scale pay ($75,000), on condition that his name or image not be used for marketing, and his (supporting) character not take more than 25% of space on advertising artwork, since "Toys" was scheduled for release one month after Aladdins debut. The studio failed on both counts, especially in poster art by having the Genie in 25% of the image, but having other major and supporting characters portrayed considerably smaller. Disney's Hyperion book, "Aladdin: The Making Of An Animated Film", listed both of Williams' characters "The Peddler" and "The Genie" ahead of main characters, but was forced to refer to him only as "the actor signed to play the Genie".[10]

Williams and Disney had a bitter falling-out, and as a result Dan Castellaneta voiced the Genie in The Return of Jafar, the Aladdin animated television series, and had recorded his voice for Aladdin and the King of Thieves. When Jeffrey Katzenberg was fired from Disney and replaced by former 20th Century Fox production head Joe Roth (whose last act for Fox was greenlighting Williams' film Mrs. Doubtfire), Roth arranged for a public apology to Williams by Disney. Williams agreed to perform in Hollywood Pictures' Jack, directed by Francis Ford Coppola, and even agreed to voice the Genie again for the King Of Thieves sequel (for considerably more than scale), replacing all of Castellaneta's dialogue.[27]

When Williams re-teamed with Doubtfire director Chris Columbus for 1999's Bicentennial Man, Disney asked that the budget be cut by approximately $20 million, and when the film was released on Christmas Day, it flopped at the box office. Williams blamed Disney's marketing and the loss of content the film had suffered due to the budget cuts. As a result, Williams was again on bad terms with Disney, and Castellaneta was once again recruited to replace him as Genie in the Kingdom Hearts video game series and the House of Mouse TV series. The DVD release for Aladdin has no involvement whatsoever from Williams in the bonus materials, although some of his original recording sessions can be seen.

He is currently working on the film Old Dogs with close friend John Travolta, which is being co-produced and distributed by Walt Disney Studios.

[edit] Alleged hidden message
In the scene where Aladdin is attacked by the tiger Rajah on the palace balcony, Aladdin quietly says "Come on... good kitty. Take off and go." Some people reported hearing "All good girls take off their clothes," or "Good teenagers, take off your clothes," which they considered a subliminal reference to promiscuity, similar to "Paul is dead". Because of the controversy, Disney replaced the phrase with "Down, kitty" on the DVD release.[28]
Old 05-16-2008, 04:24 AM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Seal Beach, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lion King View Post
From Wikipedia:

"One of the verses of the opening song "Arabian Nights" was altered following protests from the American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee. The lyrics were changed in July 1993 from "Where they cut off your ear if they don't like your face/It's barbaric, but, hey, it's home," in the original release to "Where it's flat and immense and the heat is intense/It's barbaric, but, hey, it's home." The change first appeared on the 1993 video release.[21] The original lyric was intact on the initial CD soundtrack release, but the re-release uses the edited lyric. Entertainment Weekly ranked Aladdin in a list of the most controversial films in history, due to this incident.[22]

The ADC also complained on how lead characters Aladdin and Jasmine were light-skinned, had Anglicized features and Anglo-American accents, in contrast to the other characters in the film, who are dark-skinned, have Arab accents and grotesque facial features, and appear villainous or greedy."

You can hear the original lyrics on the Arabian Knights song on the Aladdin soundtrack. They might have changed it for the newest CD, though.

I wonder sometimes what's up with people....That does not seem to offensive, but that's just me.....
Old 05-16-2008, 04:35 AM   #14
Special Member

Mar 2008
Somewhere you aren't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith View Post
I wonder sometimes what's up with people....That does not seem to offensive, but that's just me.....
Disney annoy the hell out of me (putting their DVDs into moratorium a month after they've been released), but I don't believe they would purposely do anything like that. I suspect it's just a religious group or concerned mothers trying to boycott their films by making up rubbish like that.

Although some of their earlier films (Dumbo, Fantastia) were quite racist and some other films were quite disturbing and distressing (Pinocchio, Bambi).
Old 05-16-2008, 02:43 PM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008
Tampa Bay Area PSN Id: ferris23 (aka Mr. Mute)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lion King View Post
Although some of their earlier films (Dumbo, Fantastia) were quite racist and some other films were quite disturbing and distressing (Pinocchio, Bambi).
There is a difference between overt racism and unintended racism. It all depends on the time period, general audience perspective, etc. When these 4 films came out, Mass Media basically didn't exist. Certainly not like it does today. Given that, it was difficult to gauge how different regions of the country (and world) would react to things. There are a lot of films out there which were labeled racist, without that being the intent of the writer/producer/director.
Sony Bravia 40" 1080p
Yamaha RX-V565BL 630-Watt 7-Channel Receiver
Sony PS3 60 GB (Launch)RIP
Sony PS3 120 GB Slim
Panasonic DMP-BDT210 Integrated-Wi-Fi 3D Blu-ray DVD Player
Polk Audio RM6750 5.1 Speaker System
Sennheiser RS 120 Wireless Headphones
Old 05-16-2008, 03:05 PM   #16
Special Member

Mar 2007
Washington, DC
Send a message via AIM to Xerious

aladdin was great... i want the lion king and beauty and beast though
Why So XERIOUS?
Old 05-16-2008, 03:25 PM   #17

Sep 2007

i can't believe aladdin wa sremoved as a platinum title. it was an amazing movie... one of disneys best ever!
Epson 8350-Jamestown Matte White 110'' Screen
Onkyo TX-SR705
Front: Polk Audio Monitor 70's
Center: Polk Audio CS2 Series 2
Rear: Polk Audio OWM3's

Samsung 3D Blu-Ray BD-C6800

PS3 60 GB PSN: Richterbon, Nintendo Wii, Sega Dreamcast, Nintendo 64, Sega Genesis, PSP, Nintendo DS
Old 05-16-2008, 03:29 PM   #18
Banned

Oct 2007
Philadelphia
Send a message via AIM to Caligula Send a message via Yahoo to Caligula

Yea that would be lovely, i liked alladin and i want my kids to watch it on HD
Old 05-16-2008, 05:53 PM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007
Kent

odd that aladdin would be removed.... its like their only real blockbuster imo

but hey as long as it gets on blu-ray i dont care
Old 05-16-2008, 08:11 PM   #20
Suspended

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by X400 View Post
odd that aladdin would be removed.... its like their only real blockbuster imo
Um, it was...IN THIS COUNTRY!!
LIKE, NOT IN THE UK, WHERE THEY HAVE THEIR OWN DVD SALES DIVISIONS!!!

(Second thread reminder: I don't know what we'll do at the third, but we'll probably think of something)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists