COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Dexter: The Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Poirot: The Complete Cases Collection (Blu-ray)
$198.49
Orange Is the New Black: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Ray Donovan: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.49
The Wind Will Carry Us (Blu-ray)
$19.49
Sleepaway Camp (Blu-ray)
$15.99
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$17.99
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Afflicted (Blu-ray)
$12.49
The Slumber Party Massacre (Blu-ray)
$13.99
Queen Margot (Blu-ray)
$23.49
Titanic 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Poirot: The Final Cases Collection (Blu-ray)
$125.99
Cat People (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
South Park: The Complete Fifteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Dexter: The Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$15.49

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 05-27-2008, 10:08 AM   #1

May 2008
Default any music video bd that is not concert/live?

i cannot find any music videos in blu ray? they are all live/concert recordings which i really dislike... (applause applause applause)

any idea where i can buy HD music videos?
Old 05-27-2008, 10:14 AM   #2
Banned

Feb 2008
Astoria, NY
Send a message via AIM to DigitalfreakNYC

I've seen "older" music videos on MHD but I think the biggest problem is that music videos aren't kept (or haven't been) kept in the best condition.
I've been waiting for a decent complete collection of videos for Madonna and it seems like it's never coming. Who the hell knows where some of the masters are for these things.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:14 PM   #3
Blu-ray Champion

May 2007

It's highly unlikely a Madonna collection will ever come, because they're all edited on analog video. They would have to find all the film and put it back together from scratch

Buy it on DVD

They only started shooting most MVs in HD within the last 3-5 years. A few have been upgraded to HD like Thriller.

Seriously, you should give concert videos another chance, most of the time, they provide a superior rendition of any songs on the albums.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:36 PM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2006
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Send a message via Yahoo to WriteSimply Send a message via Skype™ to WriteSimply

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickyWoo View Post
They only started shooting most MVs in HD within the last 3-5 years. A few have been upgraded to HD like Thriller.
Most MVs are shot on film. The MVs from the last century were likely to be EDITED on SD only however. EDIT: In the beginning, it was shot using SD cams. But then as the labels supported it, most were shot using film, either 16 mm or 35mm.

fuad

Last edited by WriteSimply; 05-27-2008 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:40 PM   #5
Blu-ray Champion

May 2007

Quote:
Most MVs are shot on film. The MVs from the last century were likely to be EDITED on SD only however. EDIT: In the beginning, it was shot using SD cams. But then as the labels supported it, most were shot using film, either 16 mm or 35mm.
That's correct, but with older videos (like most of Madonna's catalog) would require them to locate all those assetts and re-assemble them. Same goes for the majority of music videos out there
Old 05-27-2008, 04:57 PM   #6

Mar 2008
Los Angeles, CA

If your favorite musician or music group come out with their live concert on blu, are you telling me you wouldn't buy it? They could be a lot better than the original music video. I think the best way to watch music videos now is via the Internet or MHD.
46" Samsung 1080p LCD LNT4661FX
5.1 Sony Surround Sound
60GB PS3
76 BLU'S
Old 05-27-2008, 06:14 PM   #7
Suspended

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Um, how about "That's Entertainment"?--Most of them are dead.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:07 PM   #8
Banned

Feb 2008
Astoria, NY

Quote:
It's highly unlikely a Madonna collection will ever come, because they're all edited on analog video. They would have to find all the film and put it back together from scratch

Buy it on DVD

Seriously, you should give concert videos another chance, most of the time, they provide a superior rendition of any songs on the albums.
Thanks for clearing that up. So you're saying the older videos they showed on MHD were just upconverted?

Some of them aren't that old (she still has a career, you know!), from the last decade.

I have the DVD's already but they're both incomplete. That's what I'm getting at.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:12 PM   #9
Blu-ray Champion

May 2007

Almost certainly they're just upconverts. The only old MV I've heard of being redone in HD is Thriller and some of Michael Jackson's other catalog. I'm sure they won't be the last.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:18 PM   #10
Banned

Feb 2008
Astoria, NY

Quote:
Almost certainly they're just upconverts. The only old MV I've heard of being redone in HD is Thriller and some of Michael Jackson's other catalog. I'm sure they won't be the last.
I know this may be a long shot but since you seem to be "in the know" a bit about these things...any idea why the Confessions tour didn't come to Blu-ray when it was filmed in HD? The DVD was horrific (with a PCM track AND DTS).
Old 05-27-2008, 10:25 PM   #11
Blu-ray Champion

May 2007

No idea, except that I don't think Warner music has much in the way of ties with WB anymore ,which could explain it. Sony seems to be the only ones really going hardcore for it

The last disc I saw with PCM AND DTS was Queen at Wembley, I think the nastiness was at least mostly source based though
Old 05-27-2008, 10:33 PM   #12
Banned

Feb 2008
Astoria, NY

Well...that's a queen disc from quite a while ago. Confessions was 2006 and filmed with HD cameras. It looks horrid. Unfortunately, Madonna fans seem to be content trading 128kbps mp3's so they would be the last to notice.

Since it aired on UHD and NBCHD, I thought it would be guaranteed to be on BD. Plus, she seemed to be at the forefront for pushing all the home video mediums with her concerts (VHS, laser, DVD). Oh well...
Old 05-28-2008, 02:02 AM   #13

May 2008

actually, i think i can still accept the applause and the distracting noises but... i can't stand the camera filming the audience! if the camera is always on the stage, it will not be so bad.

they should bring back michael jacksons...
Old 05-28-2008, 04:09 AM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2006
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Send a message via Yahoo to WriteSimply Send a message via Skype™ to WriteSimply

Quote:
That's correct, but with older videos (like most of Madonna's catalog) would require them to locate all those assetts and re-assemble them. Same goes for the majority of music videos out there
I know. But if the footage is found, at least the video can be reassembled in HD. It's a long shot for most of the videos but it's not as impossible as for videos shot on SD video.

As far as why not all concert videos released on DVD did not get released on BD, you need to talk to the label and artist's management. I think they are waiting for BD to pick up steam. I would love to get Christina Aguilera's Australia tour and Phil Collin's Paris concert on BD.

fuad
Old 05-28-2008, 04:18 AM   #15
Blu-ray Champion

May 2007

It's unlikely any shows shot analog video will get released in Blu. Maybe MAYBE some amazing classics like Queen at Wembley will get it for the audio upgrade, but I wouldn't count on it

When people see Blu, they think HD, and if it's not HD they feel ripped off
Old 05-28-2008, 04:35 AM   #16

Nov 2007

I've always thought that old videos won't stand a good chance with Blu Ray. Not only there's the problem of how you find the material in good shape to make the upgrade, but also the fact that the majority of classic videos are full frame. I for one wouldn't mind that, but the fact that they wouldn't fit the size of modern TV's will be (companies may think) discouraging.

If there's a posibility, it will be with the new artists and new video collection releases.

There are obvious choices for profitable re-releases (Madonna, Michael Jackson, U2) but I don't see many Classic Video Packages getting the blu treatment (that's shown by the fact that up til now there are none).

I feel that right now it's simply not a priority for labels and companies.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:51 AM   #17
Banned

Feb 2008
Astoria, NY

Considering there aren't even decent releases on DVD for Madonna (concert OR music video), I doubt we'll get them on BD.

The woman absolutely hates looking back, thus, won't release all that stuff from the archives.

I can only hope when she moves over to Live Nation that WB will open the floodgates.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America