Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Kingpin (Blu-ray)
$14.39
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$55.95
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Willow (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Planet of the Vampires (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Rosemary's Baby (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Devil's Backbone (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Eyes Without a Face (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.95
Videodrome (Blu-ray)
$19.49
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Repulsion (Blu-ray)
$19.49
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 01-24-2007, 06:17 PM   #1

Nov 2006
USA We Were Soldiers Blu-ray Discussion

The naplam strikes are !!!!!! I thought for a second my TV may catch fire. If you like Blackhawk Down this one is as good in the video quality and storyline!

We Were Soldiers Blu-ray

We Were Soldiers Blu-ray Review

Merged Threads of Interest:
We Were Soldiers region locked? Answer: NO, Region Free
UK We Were Soldiers... will it play on US Blu-ray players? Answer: YES
We Were Soldiers sound?
Wal-Mart revised front cover artwork to "We Were Soldiers"...
We were Soldiers Freeze?

Last edited by jw; 01-06-2010 at 04:18 AM.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:54 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2007

Having been home from work sick these last two days, I really wish my copy would have arrived. Though my ears are "plugged up" from my cold so I wouldn't be able to hear very well, I'm sure the video would have looked nice.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:55 AM   #3

Nov 2006

Just Bought "We were Soldiers". Awsome Movie. But so far this is one of the worst looking movies yet. The Jungle scenes look nice but the Rest just doesnt look good to me.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:59 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2006
Oceanside, CA.
Send a message via ICQ to BTBuck1 Send a message via AIM to BTBuck1 Send a message via MSN to BTBuck1 Send a message via Yahoo to BTBuck1
Thumbs up "We were soldiers...and young men"

Wow...I haven't posted a mini review in a while, but felt compelled after finishing "We were soldiers" Never seeing a trailer or anything, I wasn't sure what to expect going into this. First off, the story is spread out really well, you never really get bored or tune out and if there is a hint of it, the story takes a twist to recapture your interest immediately.

The characters are easy to relate to and you become emotionally attached early on with them. This helps in you rooting for them, and also sympathizing with them when they are hurt/killed/ in trouble etc. If you are even a little bit patriotic, this is bound to jerk a few tears. I caught myself wiping my eyes about 5 or 6 times toward the end.

The 1.5mbps DTS sound track is truly one to remember, rivaling that of many LPCM tracks I've heard including Tears of the Sun. It really left me feeling like Uncompressed audio isn't that "serious" when lossy can be done this well.

The PQ is a little grainy, but it's evident that it is source related as it is this way through the entire film and doesn't change from shot to shot.
Overall I'd give this one an A- only taking away the + because of the grain, but in retrospect, I can understand given the time frame of the movie (mid-late 60's) that it is fitting. I'm pretty sure the director wanted to create a story book atmosphere being that the movie is based on a book, and based on the stories of those involved. Grain IMO adds this type of effect, a Dreamy Feel if you will.

If you haven't bought this movie already, BUY IT...If you don't buy these types of movies, RENT IT....it's a good one...a very good one! I bought this on a whim, and it's one of my favorites out of 60+ BD's I own.
Blu-ray Disc Supporter: PS3 60gb/Oppo BDP-93 3D, dual HDMI
HD DVD: Toshiba HD-A30,A2/Xbox360 add on (boxed HD-A1)
Samsung LN46B750 LCD 1080p/240hz
Sony kdl55hx729 1080p/240hz local dimming 3DLED
:myspace.com/bluraydisc: :blurayoasis:

Last edited by BTBuck1; 01-26-2007 at 10:02 PM.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:27 PM   #5

Jan 2007
Default bad pictures quality

I love "We were Soldier", the action from start to end, sound effect are awesome. But the pictures quality are the same as an old DVD I had. Now I own both regular DVD and BD disc. If I can try before buy, I won't pay $29.95 for it. I just a waste of $$$.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:28 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007
CT, US

Yeah, I remember liking it in the movie theater. I havent seen it since though. I think I wiped away tears at least 3 (maybe 4 times) watching. A bunch of scenes I had to turn away too, which I rarely do in movies.

Definitely one I would recommend to anyone though. Worth watching for sure.

As for the BRD, good to hear that it turned out ok.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:40 PM   #7

Nov 2006
Omaha, NE

Just took a break from watching it to check the forum and behold this thread. Exceptional movie. Sam Elliott, one of my favorites is really cool in this. I'm only 30 minutes in, but it's getting good. Seems very sensitive.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:41 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2006
Oceanside, CA.
Send a message via ICQ to BTBuck1 Send a message via AIM to BTBuck1 Send a message via MSN to BTBuck1 Send a message via Yahoo to BTBuck1

Quote:
Originally Posted by respilot View Post
I love "We were Soldier", the action from start to end, sound effect are awesome. But the pictures quality are the same as an old DVD I had. Now I own both regular DVD and BD disc. If I can try before buy, I won't pay $29.95 for it. I just a waste of $$$.
in alot of the closeups, i seriously...seriously doubt that the Standard Def DVD could possibly have the definition this had.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:24 PM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2006
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by respilot View Post
It's being sold for $23.99 CDN at Best Buy. That's if you're Canadian.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:49 PM   #10

Nov 2006
Omaha, NE

I'm watching the SD right now and it has a lot of scenes that seem soft. If you're seeing softness in the BD, it's possible the original film is that way. I did not see the theatrical release, so don't know for sure.

By the way, the sub action is incredible. I'm using a Velodyne 18" servo, and it literally shakes the house.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:14 AM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2006
Oceanside, CA.

I had grain...but nothing soft what-so-ever. Hope he's got that firmware updated if he's using a sammy..
Old 02-12-2007, 04:14 PM   #12
Special Member

Aug 2006
Rhode Island, USA

I was wondering about this movie. I remember watching the napalm on DVD and it was amazing. Anyone else see this and have thoughts on the PQ?
Old 02-14-2007, 02:58 PM   #13

Feb 2007

I was a little disappointed with the PQ. I'm sure if you compared the BD version with the DVD, you'd see differences, but I thought it looked a bit 'flat' or 'dead' overall. It's not even that old a film.

As BD aren't cheap I think I'll read all reviews on PQ/SQ before buying in future.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:12 PM   #14
Blu-ray Guru

May 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrouchingDonkey View Post
I was a little disappointed with the PQ. I'm sure if you compared the BD version with the DVD, you'd see differences, but I thought it looked a bit 'flat' or 'dead' overall. It's not even that old a film.

As BD aren't cheap I think I'll read all reviews on PQ/SQ before buying in future.
the problem is, everyone here liked it. you may see a review trashing something you like and you may see a review glowing about trash. a lot of the time, it is personal taste. thus why a lot of people rent.
:)

Sony KDF-50E2000, Yamaha RX-V1700, Samsung BD-P1000, PS3 60GB, B&W 602 S2 fronts, B&W CC6 center, B&W 601 S2 rears, M&K-125 sub

-Girls hang out, apply make-up, and have long talks in the bathroom. Men do not.

-...blacking out is, as Hemingway pointed out, a way of experiencing the great mystery of death, without dying.

-december BD's- 5/ warner 3... warner total ~15
Old 02-14-2007, 09:38 PM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2006
New Brighton, MN

Comparing this with the DVD, HD-DVD and Blu-Ray is kind of interesting. The Blu-Ray oddly enough looks slightly sharper and colorful. I think there's problems with the actual film quality though since all 3 formats show the film is horribly grainy. But the biggest improvement Blu-Ray made over DVD and HD-DVD was the sound. It has much deeper bass and sounds more discrete.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:52 AM   #16

Sep 2006

FYI all - the man played by Kinnear in the film (Bruce Crandall) just received the Medal of Honor.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/84067

Former Mesan to get Medal of Honor

Art Martori, Tribune

Bruce Crandall said the small-arms fire whipping out of the Vietnamese jungle toward his Huey helicopter sounded like bursting popcorn kernels.

“When you’re in the air, it had more of a popcorn-popping sound,” said Crandall, a 73-year-old former Mesa resident. “If it’s a deeper sound, you’re in deep (expletive), because then it’s anti-aircraft.”

The scene was grim in the Ia Drang Valley on the morning of Nov. 14, 1965. Soldiers from the 7th Cavalry Regiment were locked in battle with a force of North Vietnamese soldiers who outnumbered the American troops 7-1.

It was one of the first major battles of the Vietnam conflict, and it set the stage for another decade of fighting between ground troops.

It was during this fierce, four-day battle that Crandall — then a 32-yearold Army major — flew his Huey re- peatedly into landing zones overrun by enemy soldiers, delivering ammunition to his outnumbered American comrades and rescuing wounded soldiers.

“It was all dust, a fantastic amount of dust,” Crandall said. “An artillery smell in air. There was very dense smoke.”

Three of his crew members were killed and three more wounded during 14 hours of hellish fighting, Crandall said.

“They needed the ammunition, so we went in,” he said. “Didn’t necessarily expect to get out. But I knew if we got in, the ammo would at least be on ground.”

The battle of the Ia Drang Valley was immortalized in a 1992 book called “We Were Soldiers Once ... And Young” by Lt. Gen. Harold G. Moore, and again in a major motion picture in 2002 that starred Mel Gibson playing the part of Moore. Actor Greg Kinnear played Crandall.

More than four decades after the battle, the U.S. Department of Defense announced President Bush will present Crandall with the Congressional Medal of Honor Feb. 26 at the White House.

He will join a group of 111 living recipients of the award, according to the Congressional Medal of Honor Society. More than half of them fought in the Vietnam war.

Crandall is the second member of his unit to receive the medal due to heroism at Ia Drang. Capt. Ed W. Freeman, also a 7th Cavalry pilot, received the honor in 2001.

Fewer than 3,500 Americans have received the medal since it was first awarded on March 25, 1863, during the Civil War.

The decoration will finally reach Crandall after more than 40 years, due to a bill enacted by Congress in 1996. Before that, the medal could only be awarded in the two years after a soldier demonstrated “exceptional gallantry beyond the call of duty,” according to a document created by the U.S. Senate.

Crandall said there were barely enough soldiers in 1965 to man the helicopters, and that it’s possible there were too few military personnel to send award recommendations up the chain of command.

“In the cavalry, when we went over, we were very short of personnel,” he said. “We didn’t have gunners. Clerks, cooks, anyone we could find in the unit went along on the mission.

“We weren’t there for awards.”

Crandall retired from the Army as a lieutenant-colonel in 1977, after a series of strokes left him unable to fly.

In 1980, Crandall moved to Mesa, where he served as director of public works until his retirement in 1994. He now lives in Manchester, Wash.

Former Mesa City Manager Mike Hutchinson said he became close friends with Crandall and that he plans to attend the Washington ceremony.

Hutchinson said Crandall never boasted of his exploits in Vietnam. It wasn’t until publication of “We Were Soldiers Once... and Young” that the extent of Crandall’s bravery came to light.

“When you read that book, what Bruce did sends chills down your spine,” he said. “The sense that he should be recognized was felt by many people.”

Hutchinson added that his relationship with Crandall was marked by a competitive element, as the two men wagered on their games at Mesa golf courses.

“We exchanged dollar bills. In his heyday, he was playing a lot,” Hutchinson said. “He’s a lefty, though, so people hold that against him.”

Crandall’s heroics were further publicized when the book about the battle for the Ia Drang Valley was adapted into a movie bearing the shortened title, “We Were Soldiers.” Crandall said he acted as a consultant during its shooting, which he found accurate in every detail.

Crandall praised Kinnear for his portrayal in the movie.

“He’s a kick in the teeth,” Crandall said. “They picked people just exactly like us.”

Mesa Mayor Keno Hawker worked with Crandall during his tenure on the City Council from 1986 to 1994. He said Crandall was known as a diligent worker who talked very little about his wartime heroics.

“Actually, his reputation as a military hero wasn’t really known by a lot of city employees,” Hawker said. “He didn’t act like what you’d assume a military hero would act like.”
Old 03-25-2007, 02:13 AM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2007
UK
Send a message via MSN to Blu_Ray_UK2007
Default We Were Soldiers

Is this disc region free?

Looking to play it on region b ps3.

Cheers
PS3 Online ID: Blu_Ray_UK2007

Always looking for UK Disney Slips!! Message me if you have any spare!
Old 03-25-2007, 02:58 PM   #18
Power Member

Jan 2007
Northern, NJ

Accoriding to the mods josh's site

http://joshd2012.googlepages.com/regionafree

It says no paramount dis is resgion coded, so i gues it is region free

This is what the back of the disc looks like
Old 03-25-2007, 06:48 PM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2007
UK
Send a message via MSN to Blu_Ray_UK2007

Cheers mate, will have to order it
PS3 Online ID: Blu_Ray_UK2007

Always looking for UK Disney Slips!! Message me if you have any spare!
Old 04-11-2007, 01:05 PM   #20

Mar 2007
OHIO
Default We were soldiers Blu-Ray!?

I had rented "We were soldiers" last night, while a very good movie , was very disappointed in the quailty of the picture, it was standard DVD res?! maybe i got a bad copy? or maybe i was expecting to see much more than delivered. Anyway nothing can be done about it just wanted to vent.

Bravia 46" BX2 TV 1080P
BSP 1 Player
Bose AC 10 speakers
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America