Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Kingpin (Blu-ray)
$14.39
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$55.95
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Willow (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Planet of the Vampires (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Rosemary's Baby (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Devil's Backbone (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Eyes Without a Face (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.95
Videodrome (Blu-ray)
$19.49
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Repulsion (Blu-ray)
$19.49
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 06-18-2008, 01:00 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2004
New Jersey
Lightbulb blu-ray needs Super Up Conversion (SUC)...

... if only to shut Toshiba up and beat them at their own game. They lost the war and now are playing politics in an effort to hurt blu-ray sales.

Sure, our BD players offer up conversion now, but with exception of the PS3, most of it is pretty lack luster.

So, improve the up conversion ability of blu-ray players. Consumers will be happier, have a better product, and Toshiba will finally have to shut up.

Better yet, license the Toshiba technology since it is so good. Maybe being part of blu-ray indirectly will help them warm up to it.

One thing is certain, Toshiba's wounds will take a LONG time to heal. Especially if they keep picking at them.
Proud founder of the blu-bloods.
Use "blu-blood" in your signature and become an elite user.

To be blu-blooded is commitment to the blu-ray technology. We believe other forms of HD media are inferior. Our goal is educate, support and propagate blu-ray.

Creatures of Hard Media
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=43882
Old 06-18-2008, 03:38 PM   #2

Aug 2006

Trying to improve up-converting will only serve to confuse the market and delay blu-ray adoption though. The idea right now is to entice people to buy their new movies solely on blu-ray, but if J6P gets the idea that his regular DVDs look just as good as blu-ray when super up-converted, what incentive would they have to purchase blu-ray movies at a higher price point? More effort should be put into increasing the quality and interactivity of blu-ray instead.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:48 PM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007
Sworn super-hero now services Atlanta (and suburbs).
Send a message via AIM to CptGreedle

If the PS3 can add a super up-converter in a future update, it would only make people watching DVDs happier. Since it would be an update, it would not be something that would confuse people. Plus it would be a good weapon against toshiba, not that we really need it

I think SUC tech will be too pricey to start out, in that Blu-ray will be able to match it. Plus, toshiba is again only one company, there are a slew of companies making blu-ray. Toshiba is just trying to keep DVD alive longer.
If they do this, they are only going to make themselves look even worse to retailers and consumers.
Sony KDL-46XBR3 46" Bravia
PlayStation 3 500 GB / Wii
Yamaha HTR-6090 / JBL CONTROL1XTREME / Definitive ProCenter 2000
My BD Collection / PSN ID: CptGreedle
/ WeaklyAnimated.com / TangentArtists
"Film Grain = Good Film"
Old 06-18-2008, 04:08 PM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2007
Houston, TX

I don't want Toshiba to have anything to do with the PS3 or Blu-Ray (other than the cell processor).
Chet

BD 3D: This ain't yo momma's 3D!!! ;)
Old 06-18-2008, 04:16 PM   #5
Special Member

Aug 2007
North Potomac, MD

I found a picture of the new Toshiba spokesman.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:18 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2004
New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by shido View Post
Trying to improve up-converting will only serve to confuse the market and delay blu-ray adoption though. The idea right now is to entice people to buy their new movies solely on blu-ray, but if J6P gets the idea that his regular DVDs look just as good as blu-ray when super up-converted, what incentive would they have to purchase blu-ray movies at a higher price point? More effort should be put into increasing the quality and interactivity of blu-ray instead.
Not saying it should be a STRONG selling point, but it should be one. Many consumers assume that all upconversion is the same. I know I did at first and I am no idiot. I see your point. But let's not omit it either as that WOULD suc(k)!

It all becomes moot as little Johny will ask these questions in the future.

"Daddy, what is VHS?"
"Daddy, what is DVD?"
"Daddy, what is HD DVD?" "Oh it was nothing. It mostly suc(ks) now."
Proud founder of the blu-bloods.
Use "blu-blood" in your signature and become an elite user.

To be blu-blooded is commitment to the blu-ray technology. We believe other forms of HD media are inferior. Our goal is educate, support and propagate blu-ray.

Creatures of Hard Media
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=43882
Old 06-18-2008, 04:19 PM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2007
Houston, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post
I think you missed it in the other post:

Chet

Old 06-18-2008, 04:20 PM   #8
Banned

Apr 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post

you give them too much credit.

toshibas spokesperson is actually in the third picture down on this site.

and this is for serious, it is not a joke, that is their spokesperson, a true space cadet.

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/hd...rek-1217.shtml
Old 06-18-2008, 04:23 PM   #9
The Busey

Apr 2008
Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockstar1138 View Post
you give them too much credit.

toshibas spokesperson is actually in the third picture down on this site.

and this is for serious, it is not a joke, that is their spokesperson, a true space cadet.

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/hd...rek-1217.shtml
Thats so sad. I really do feel sorry for any supporter of Toshiba as they clearly do not realize they have lost.

Quote:
Jodi Sally, VP of Marketing, Digital AV Group, and honorary Star Fleet officer outlines HD-DVD's Q4 plan of attack.
"The word fan is an obsolete word to me. It means two thing: fantastic or fanatic. Or something that hangs on a ceiling or sits on a table and blows wind in your face." - Gary Busey
Old 06-18-2008, 11:32 PM   #10
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Metropolis

What many people don't realize is that any image upscaling technology that Toshiba invents can be applied to Blu-ray itself. Just wait till you see upscaled Blu-ray at 2160P!
Old 06-18-2008, 11:48 PM   #11
Power Member

Sep 2007
Twin Cities
Send a message via Yahoo to mr.hidef

Quote:
I absolutely agree! Why would you buy a dvd, and put it in a blu-ray player in the first place? The whole point is to "move up" to the next generation of media.With prices coming down slightly (comparable to a collectors dvd edition) It doesn't make any sense to waste your money on dvd's.(most people given the choice would spend 5 bucks more for the collectors dvd any ways).Once the world is ALL 2.0, and uncompressed, you would be insane to not try it out for yourself!
MY HDNA.....IS BLU.....BLU-BLOOD
SONY KDL-52W5100 120Hz / SONY Google TV NSX-40GT
ONKYO TX-SR805 - cooling by Antec
SONY 2 x BDP-S580
MONSTER HDP-2500
KLIPSCH Reference IV series
Dual eD A2-300's
Old 06-18-2008, 11:56 PM   #12
Power Member

Sep 2007
Twin Cities
Send a message via Yahoo to mr.hidef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptGreedle View Post
If the PS3 can add a super up-converter in a future update, it would only make people watching DVDs happier. Since it would be an update, it would not be something that would confuse people. Plus it would be a good weapon against toshiba, not that we really need it

I think SUC tech will be too pricey to start out, in that Blu-ray will be able to match it. Plus, toshiba is again only one company, there are a slew of companies making blu-ray. Toshiba is just trying to keep DVD alive longer.
If they do this, they are only going to make themselves look even worse to retailers and consumers.
Why does everyone think that a firmware upgrade is the answer to every problem..........There are just some(many) things that can't be fixed with a FW upgrade. Yeeeeeeesh!
MY HDNA.....IS BLU.....BLU-BLOOD
SONY KDL-52W5100 120Hz / SONY Google TV NSX-40GT
ONKYO TX-SR805 - cooling by Antec
SONY 2 x BDP-S580
MONSTER HDP-2500
KLIPSCH Reference IV series
Dual eD A2-300's
Old 06-19-2008, 12:02 AM   #13

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.hidef View Post
Why does everyone think that a firmware upgrade is the answer to every problem..........There are just some(many) things that can't be fixed with a FW upgrade. Yeeeeeeesh!
I would suspect these are mostly young people that have only lived in a Windows world.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:38 AM   #14
Special Member

May 2007
Lawton, Ok
Cool Samsung 1200 has a Very Good Upconversion Chip!

No all stand-alone Blu-ray players have so-so Upconversion. My Samsung 1200 may be a tad slow in getting firmware upgrades (However, they have issued 4 updates this year alone, with the latest update was on June 9th), but the 1200 have a VERY GOOD Upconversion chip (HQV). Even when folks were slamming the Sammy, they would give it rave reviews on that feature.

As to why people would stick a standard DVD in their Blu-ray player:

1. A very good reason is not all old DVDs have been issued in Blu yet. Take Lord of the Rings or the Matrix for example.

2. A good selling point to potential Blu buyers is the fact that they DON'T have to get rid of their OLD DVDs. Of course we know that sooner or later they will, but they do not have to.
BD Player: LG LHB953
HP Pavilion dv7-1267cl Laptop w/Blu-ray
TV: Mitsubishi WD-Y57 (1080P)
Centurion III (375+ Blu-ray titles)
Old 06-19-2008, 02:28 AM   #15
Special Member

Oct 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.hidef View Post
Sony has spoiled us with the PS3. They've added a heck of a lot of great stuff... with more coming. A great model of a living product.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:32 AM   #16
Power Member

Oct 2006

SUC is for those that want to stay in the past. Why would I want SUC on an HDTV when I can have true HD? The entire point of an HD format is to resell movies in HD. Are studios supposed to sit on their ass and not make money selling catalog titles in HD?

SUC serves no purpose for any true HT enthusiast who is looking to obtain the best PQ in their home. SUC Sucks.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:57 AM   #17
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2007
Houston, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
What many people don't realize is that any image upscaling technology that Toshiba invents can be applied to Blu-ray itself. Just wait till you see upscaled Blu-ray at 2160P!
No. I think we all know what SUC is. We just choose not to want it.
Chet

Old 06-19-2008, 04:03 AM   #18
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2008
Moore, Oklahoma
Send a message via Yahoo to brett_day

Quote:
if J6P gets the idea that his regular DVDs look just as good as blu-ray when super up-converted, what incentive would they have to purchase blu-ray movies at a higher price point?.
Audio quality for one thing. Things being in HD now is not only about picture quality it is about audio quality as well. This whole super upconverting thing might sell well at first but people will soon realize that they are missing half the picture so to speak with non hd audio! there is no way a regular dual layer dvd could hold a true hd sound track.

i do agree though that the ps3 and stand alone players do not need SUC, the time is coming for dvd to be laid to rest so it can be with it's vhs siblings in the big movie store in the sky!

the only reason toshiba is pursuing this whole suc thing is because of dvd royalties. Toshiba makes millions from royalties from the sale of regular dvd'd and if blu ray conquers the market they will lose a substantial amount of income
Old 06-19-2008, 04:14 AM   #19
Power Member

Apr 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by tron3 View Post
... if only to shut Toshiba up and beat them at their own game. They lost the war and now are playing politics in an effort to hurt blu-ray sales.
The game is already won, and on our terms (TRUE HD media). What's the point in licensing technology from Toshiba to include in a format that said company fought against (and continues to do so).

Quote:
Sure, our BD players offer up conversion now, but with exception of the PS3, most of it is pretty lack luster.
Personally, I would place the Samsung BD-P1200 and Denon DVD-3800BDCI way above the PS3... both of which use Silicon Optix chipsets for scaling. Toshiba has yet to put SRT up against Silicon Optix or similar quality scaling chips from Anchor Bay, Sigma Designs, etc. They also have not shown it alongside a TRUE HD source. Wonder why?

Quote:
So, improve the up conversion ability of blu-ray players. Consumers will be happier, have a better product, and Toshiba will finally have to shut up. Better yet, license the Toshiba technology since it is so good. Maybe being part of blu-ray indirectly will help them warm up to it.
I'm all for including better upconversion of DVD sources within BD players, but why on earth would anyone in the BDA want to put even more money in Toshiba's pocket? (They already are paying for DVD playback functionality.) As for the "since it's so good" bit, just because something is being marketed as the "second coming" doesn't mean it actually is. SuperResolution technology and algoirthms have been around for a long time now... it's definitely not anything Toshiba created. They just rewrote the algorithms to take advantage of the Cell processor.

At any rate, SuperResolution technology is great at certain things... but it requires each successive shot to be taken from a very slightly different position than the last in order to potentially get a slightly different image than was captured in the previous frame. That's why it is used by NASA to take higher resolution still photos of deep space objects. By moving the camera position very slightly between each frame they can capture additional data that can be used to approximate a higher resolution single image.

Obviosuly, on DVD (or SDTV) that's not normally the case. You can analyze the surrounding frames for additional information, but if the camera is stationary, there's really not going to be much additional information to get. At BEST, SuperResolution applied to video like this can be marginally better than other forms of upscaling that analyze only the current frame. Toshiba's implementation might be that good, but since they have only showed it up against an SD image, I'm betting that they are going to be lucky to achieve Silicon Optix/Anchor Bay/Signma Designs quality results under the best of circumstances.

Regardless of the final product they deliver, they'll never be anywhere close to actual Blu-ray quality and their development efforts on this front are just an attempt to delay the inevitable transition to the technology they have no IP interest in.
HT setup: Sony 55" SXRD 1080p display, 60 GB PS3, Sony ES 7.1 Receiver, JBL Surround System

Notebook setup: Apple 15" MacBook Pro (late 2008 unibody), Intel T9400, 4GB RAM, 320GB HD; FastMac APP-6907 portable BD-ROM drive, Dell 2408WFP S-PVA 24" display, Windows Vista Business x64 (via BootCamp), PowerDVD 9 Ultra.

Last edited by JadedRaverLA; 06-19-2008 at 04:36 AM.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:40 PM   #20
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2007
PDX

Blu-ray is fine as is. Adding another level of "super upscaling" will just slow down the adoption rate for Blu-ray, and I don't think any of us want to see that happen. There's already too many people out there who think DVD upscaling is "good enough."

Why give those consumers or any manufacturers (especially Toshiba) any additional reason to not continue progressing toward full Blu-ray standardization for home media? It would be a bit of a misstep that the BDA can't afford to take.

Let Toshiba wallow in their own game of smoke and mirrors. Don't lend any credence to it.
Sony Grand Wega SXRD KDS 50-A2000 1080p
Yamaha HTR-6080 7.1 Ch Natural Sound Receiver
Sony PS3 120 GB (Now 320 GB) / Yamaha DVD-S2500 SACD Player
Monster Reference Power Conditioner 3500 Mk II
Aurasound LSM-828M Standmounters, LSC-537M Centers F & R, LSB-527M SL & SR, all w/Line Source ribbon tweeters / Realistic Super Tweeters
XLO Electric Reference Speaker Cables
Miller & Kriesel MX-125 Mk. II & MX-70B Subwoofers
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology