COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Dark Knight Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$38.99
Noah (Blu-ray)
$17.99
House of Bodies (Blu-ray)
$13.48
Man of Steel Limited Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Man of Steel Exclusive Action Figure Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Les MisÚrables (Blu-ray)
$6.99
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Endeavour: Series 2 (Blu-ray)
$26.69
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (Blu-ray)
$11.99
The Full Monty (Blu-ray)
$16.18
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Revolution: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$17.96
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Marvel Bundle (Blu-ray)
$64.99
The Last Unicorn (Blu-ray)
$5.00
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Snow White and the Huntsman (Blu-ray)
$6.96
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Hercules (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion

Old 06-23-2008, 03:20 AM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2008
Savannah GA
Default Why is background music loud and speech so quiet?

I've had this problem for ever. Maybe someone here can help me fix this problem. I always have to turn the volume up when theres speech going on and then when theres action or music going on. I have to turn the volume down. Does anyone know whats going on? I have friends that have the same problem.
Movies that need to go Blu. The Ref, Open Range, Life As A House, Great Outdoors, True Lies, Joe Dirt, Maximum Overdrive, Pool Hall Junkies, Brain Candy.

T.V. shows that need to go Blu Man Vs. Wild, Survivor Man, Dirty Jobs, NHL Winter Classic 2009.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:37 AM   #2

Feb 2008

Same here! I find it stupid that the sound engineers think that turning the volume way up loud at times( music,action ) adds to the film. Like you , I have to have the volume control always in my hand. There is just no need for this while watching a movie. It really ticks my wife off as well.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:48 AM   #3
Blu-ray Champion

May 2007

do you have 5.1 systems? Do you have a good center channel?
Old 06-23-2008, 03:52 AM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2008
Savannah GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickyWoo View Post
do you have 5.1 systems? Do you have a good center channel?
6.1 surround and my center matches all my other speakers.
Movies that need to go Blu. The Ref, Open Range, Life As A House, Great Outdoors, True Lies, Joe Dirt, Maximum Overdrive, Pool Hall Junkies, Brain Candy.

T.V. shows that need to go Blu Man Vs. Wild, Survivor Man, Dirty Jobs, NHL Winter Classic 2009.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:30 AM   #5
Banned

Oct 2007
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by frettless5 View Post
I've had this problem for ever. Maybe someone here can help me fix this problem. I always have to turn the volume up when theres speech going on and then when theres action or music going on. I have to turn the volume down. Does anyone know whats going on? I have friends that have the same problem.
I had this issue a while ago when I had my HTiB, before my Onkyo.
I actually fixed the problem, but can't really remember what I did.
Here are a few Idea's I kinda remember doing.

1. Make sure the speakers are plugged into the receiver correctly i.e center is plugged in the center on the receiver
2. Settings in the receiver for distance from each speaker to your ear i.e 4ft, 5ft, 8ft, all depends on your speakers distance.
3. Also you can preset the volume from each speaker, you may want to turn the volume up on your center a little highier then the rest of your speakers
Old 06-23-2008, 04:39 AM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2008
Savannah GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMP View Post
I had this issue a while ago when I had my HTiB, before my Onkyo.
I actually fixed the problem, but can't really remember what I did.
Here are a few Idea's I kinda remember doing.

1. Make sure the speakers are plugged into the receiver correctly i.e center is plugged in the center on the receiver
2. Settings in the receiver for distance from each speaker to your ear i.e 4ft, 5ft, 8ft, all depends on your speakers distance.
3. Also you can preset the volume from each speaker, you may want to turn the volume up on your center a little highier then the rest of your speakers
How do you do the volume for each speaker?

Old 06-23-2008, 04:49 AM   #7
Banned

Oct 2007
Michigan

Quote:
That would depend on your receiver. Which one do you have?
Old 06-23-2008, 05:53 AM   #8
Blu-ray Champion

May 2007

Quote:
6.1 surround and my center matches all my other speakers.
By "matches", do you mean "the same as" or "bought as a home theater in a box"

Any title that has PCM tracks you should be selecting the DD 5.1 track on the disc BTW, sounds to me like you have a HTIB and have it hooked up via optical or coax, which would cause a downmix to 2.0 PCM and often the center channel gets lost in that

Or the speaker they provided you with simply doesn't have the horses to do the job.

What is the make and model of your system?
Old 06-23-2008, 06:14 AM   #9
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2006
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Send a message via Yahoo to WriteSimply Send a message via Skype™ to WriteSimply

Quote:
Does anyone know whats going on? I have friends that have the same problem.
What's going on is the sound mixing standards in play. If you've watched a modern movie in a theater, it's the same thing happening there. It's called dynamic range. The idea is to mix the vocals loud enough but also to give music and sound effects some headroom to envelope/shock you.

You can choose to enable the Nightime mode on your receiver which will flatten the dynamic range of the movie but that's not what what sound mixers what you to hear.

What Mr. Wicky is pointing out is that sometimes you probably have not calibrated your sound system.

fuad
Old 06-23-2008, 06:34 AM   #10
Contributor

Jun 2007
California

even with Playstation 2 games i always keep the volume really low because of the music being so loud and im just using tv speakers on my tv
IGN and RPGamer- Ar tonelico II Best PS2 Game Award for 2009
Ar tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel out now

Old 06-23-2008, 11:24 AM   #11

Jan 2008
Melbourne, Australia

The centre speaker is pretty much the most important channel (some may argue that the subwoofer is...), and the 'speaker' that comes in most HTiB systems are utter, utter rubbish.

My centre speaker is so large that I've been asked dozens of times if it's the subwoofer... and I never have trouble with the dialogue.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:20 PM   #12

Jan 2008
Juuuuuuuust A Bit Outside....

Your settings are off. What make/model is all of the equipment? I'm sure we can tell you how to calibrate it.
Excessive Compulsive Ellipses Abuser
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffetfroid View Post
The chip on your shoulder is bigger than Godard's ego.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post
oh dear its a crazy person
Old 06-23-2008, 03:06 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2008
Savannah GA

OK my reciever is sony str-dg500 and my speakers are JBL out of the box

Old 06-23-2008, 03:22 PM   #14

Nov 2007
Eastern, USA

I love all the hi-tech answers posted here about the problem. I find that it doesn't matter what your sound-system is. You can watch a movie with a mono TV and still have the problem: the sound is mixed with the speech too low, and everything else too loud!
Old 06-23-2008, 03:27 PM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2008
Savannah GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymech View Post
I love all the hi-tech answers posted here about the problem. I find that it doesn't matter what your sound-system is. You can watch a movie with a mono TV and still have the problem: the sound is mixed with the speech too low, and everything else too loud!
So you say it's the disc?

Old 06-23-2008, 03:49 PM   #16
Banned

Oct 2007
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymech View Post
@ johnnymech I am just wondering, if you have ever watched a movie and just un-plugged your center channel? If so can you tell us what happens?

Hey frettless, I don't know that receiver at all. until someone gets on here and tell you how to do it, you may want to look in your advanced settings. Were you able to find how to set the distance for each speakers? if so, it should be in that area of your receiver
Old 06-23-2008, 03:52 PM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2008
Savannah GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMP View Post
I am just wondering, if you have ever watched a movie and just un-plugged your center channel? If so can you tell us what happens?

Hey frettless, I don't know that receiver at all. until someone gets on here and tell you how to do it, you may want to look in your advanced settings. Were you able to find how to set the distance for each speakers? if so, it should be in that area of your receiver
I've done the advanced settings and set the speaker distances. I'm not sure how unplugging the center would help anything, but I will give that a try tonight.

In the advanced setting how should I have each speakers decibles set? I have then set the same all the way around..

Old 06-23-2008, 03:58 PM   #18
Banned

Oct 2007
Michigan

Quote:
DOWNLOAD THIS PDF

Goto page 38 of the PDF

HUMMM, By reading your user info, I shouldn't be helping you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GO REDWINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I live in Detroit.....
Just kiddin, I hope this helps

Last edited by HAMP; 06-23-2008 at 04:04 PM.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:01 PM   #19
Banned

Oct 2007
Michigan

Quote:
I'm not sure how unplugging the center would help anything, but I will give that a try tonight.
That wasn't meant for you! sorry about that. I wasn't asking you to unplug the center channel.

but, if you wanna try it and see what happens you can, it won't hurt.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:21 PM   #20
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2008
Milwaukee, WI

Quote:
I've done the advanced settings and set the speaker distances. I'm not sure how unplugging the center would help anything, but I will give that a try tonight.

In the advanced setting how should I have each speakers decibles set? I have then set the same all the way around..
Set the db higher on your center channel until you find a balance between being able to hear dialog properly and still getting a good surround sound mix.

Try it at say +2db above your other channels and then tweak it from there. Another option would be to lower your surrounds, but the end result is that you want your center channel louder (+ db) than the other speakers to address the problem you're talking about.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion