Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Congo (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$92.19
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Manhunter (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Ace Ventura: Pet Detective / Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls (Blu-ray)
$9.99
How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Blu-ray)
$19.98
Ghost in the Shell: Arise: Borders 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$25.87
Gamera HD Bundle Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99
A Certain Magical Index II: Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$43.99
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 07-16-2008, 03:52 AM   #1

Jul 2008
Red face Blu-ray player 5.1 audio output

Hello all,
I'm new here because I was trying to find a solution to my question and ended up on this site full of useful info!

I just got started on the HD and blu ray side of life, got the Samsung 52" LCD + HTiB + P1400 Blu Ray player as a bundle.

I hooked up my Blu Ray player via HDMI to the TV and TOSLINK from Blu Ray to the HTiB Receiver. Also tried a BR movie; the picture looks stunning but I was unable to get the 5.1 Sound going.

The receiver can output sound thru all 6 speakers without a problem when DVDs are played thru that receiver (or DVD player). But when TOSLINK is connected to BR and receiver, it only has sound for front speakers playing BR movie. I played around with the PCM and bitstream outputs and it only sounds like bitstream has a bolder sound but still only coming out of front speakers. I also adjusted the Audio on the BR player to output DD MultiChannel when the movie is playing.

Any ideas why my rear speakers won't output sound? Any Setup tweeks I should do or try? It is a wireless rear speakers and I double checked that the wireless receiver is receiving OK.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:56 AM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2007
::1

Good PS3 audio summary sticky in the audio discussions forum here. Lots of help there.

Edit: Oh, welcome to blu-ray.com! In short with toslink, you'll be stuck with doing DD or DTS Core for audio. When you selecting lossless will forces two channel because lossless isn't supported over mediums that don't protect HD audio content.
-Chris

Last edited by CAB; 07-16-2008 at 04:03 AM.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:44 PM   #3

Jun 2008
Vienna
Send a message via Skype™ to Stephan.klose

Quote:
Originally Posted by steam03 View Post
Hello all,
I'm new here because I was trying to find a solution to my question and ended up on this site full of useful info!

I just got started on the HD and blu ray side of life, got the Samsung 52" LCD + HTiB + P1400 Blu Ray player as a bundle.

I hooked up my Blu Ray player via HDMI to the TV and TOSLINK from Blu Ray to the HTiB Receiver. Also tried a BR movie; the picture looks stunning but I was unable to get the 5.1 Sound going.

The receiver can output sound thru all 6 speakers without a problem when DVDs are played thru that receiver (or DVD player). But when TOSLINK is connected to BR and receiver, it only has sound for front speakers playing BR movie. I played around with the PCM and bitstream outputs and it only sounds like bitstream has a bolder sound but still only coming out of front speakers. I also adjusted the Audio on the BR player to output DD MultiChannel when the movie is playing.

Any ideas why my rear speakers won't output sound? Any Setup tweeks I should do or try? It is a wireless rear speakers and I double checked that the wireless receiver is receiving OK.
What HTIB System have you got?
1578 Blu Ray's
Link to my Movie List
Old 07-16-2008, 03:46 PM   #4

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan.klose View Post
What HTIB System have you got?
Mine is the Samsung TZ515T
Old 07-16-2008, 03:53 PM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Framingham, MA

Since you're connected by optical, you will need to select bitstream in order to get surround sound. LPCM will only be 2.0. Check your other menu options to see how the audio is being sent to the receiver and in what format.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:42 AM   #6

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpkelley View Post
Since you're connected by optical, you will need to select bitstream in order to get surround sound. LPCM will only be 2.0. Check your other menu options to see how the audio is being sent to the receiver and in what format.
Hm, the receiver says that I'm in LPCM mode but I'm having a hard time trying to convert the digital input (TOSLINK) to bitstream. Does anyone own this HTiB and know how to do that? I can't find this in the manual either.

Thanks.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:02 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Feb 2007
Lynchburg,VA

its the bd player that has to be set to bitstream...

Dolby = Dolby
Dts = Dts
Old 07-17-2008, 03:15 AM   #8

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by steam03 View Post
Hm, the receiver says that I'm in LPCM mode but I'm having a hard time trying to convert the digital input (TOSLINK) to bitstream. Does anyone own this HTiB and know how to do that? I can't find this in the manual either.

Thanks.
Oh, I figured it out. I had to adjust the settings on the P1400 to output bitstream and then the receiver would auto. change it to surround sound. Thanks for the advices all!
Old 07-17-2008, 03:16 AM   #9

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackinhedz View Post
its the bd player that has to be set to bitstream...

Dolby = Dolby
Dts = Dts
Right, Thanks!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion