Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Fairy Tail: Part 12 (Blu-ray)
$31.69
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
A.I. Artificial Intelligence (Blu-ray)
$7.88
The Flintstones (Blu-ray)
$8.99
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Planes, Trains & Automobiles (Blu-ray)
$4.88
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
The Bubble 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Magic in the Moonlight (Blu-ray)
$22.79
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 07-30-2008, 08:49 PM   #1

Jun 2008
Default Is it worth getting the Rolling Stones- Shine A Light

How is this bluray if anyone has purchased it?
Old 07-30-2008, 08:54 PM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Framingham, MA

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1537/shinealight.html
Quote:
Final Thoughts

'Shine a Light' is a surprisingly conventional documentary on the Rolling Stones, one that for me didn't quite hit most of the marks it aimed for. As a retrospective on the band's history it's too slight to dig in deep, and as a backstage concert film, there is little revelation to be had. Only the blistering concert sequences really deliver. This Blu-ray is a fine presentation of the source, however, with nice video and audio. The supplements are slim, but for Stones fans who just want a big-screen glimpse at their favorite band, 'Shine a Light' barely makes the grade.
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies...ow=userreviews

Quote:
Nate Jul 29, 2008 10:48 PM

Movie: 4.5
Video: 4.5
Audio: 5
Extras: 3
Overall: 4.5

Wow.
FILM:
I never got a chance to see this when it rolled into the IMAX theatres, but I'm glad I picked it up on Blu-ray because it is definitely one of the best concerts I have seen thus far on the format and very captivating thanks to Scorsese. Yes, the Stones are old and yes, they show it, but if you can get over the fact that they should have retired a while back, the music is still amazing. There are a few times Keith misses a string (one time he gives the crowd an expression that shows he knows he missed it) and Mick loses breath, but other than the occasional mishaps of a live performance, this is solid. Watts is still amazing on percussion and Wood may be better than Richards. The introduction to the film shows Scorsese preparing and frantically running around like a madman/perfectionist and the Stones oblivious to everything. The concert is interrupted every 3-4 songs by a short montage of older footage through the years. Jack White, Buddy Guy and Christina Aguilera all provide duets as well.

Setlist:

"Jumping Jack Flash"
"Shattered"
"She Was Hot"
"All Down the Line"
"Loving Cup" [with Jack White]
"As Tears Go By"
"Some Girls"
"Just My Imagination"
"Faraway Eyes"
"Champagne & Reefer" [with Buddy Guy]
"Tumbling Dice"
Band Introductions
"You Got the Silver" [Richards on lead vocals]
"Connection" [Richards on lead vocals]
"Sympathy for the Devil"
"Live With Me" [with Christina Aguilera]
"Start Me Up"
"Brown Sugar"
"(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction"

VIDEO:
It's pretty good given the fact that it's a concert and the lights tend to flicker on and off frequently. There is heavy grain, but in context, it really suits the film. Shot in 1.78:1. There are a few crane shots, but Scorsese tends to keep the focus on Jagger a bit too much. Codec is AVC MPEG-4. There are english subtitles.

AUDIO:
Superb. Presented in DTS-HD Master and TrueHD 5.1 as well as PCM 2.0 (2.3 mbps). There is a full range, not too heavy, not too light with the LFE. There are english subtitles available.

EXTRAS:
Not much. 4 "bonus tracks" [HD] not included in the film, but from the same show:
"Paint it Black"
"Little T&A"
"I'm Free"
"Shine a Light"
and there is a featurette [HD] which is about 16 minutes in length.

*It's a BD-50.

Buy it. High recommendation.

Film Review:
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...804030303/1023

Last edited by kpkelley; 07-30-2008 at 08:58 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:16 PM   #3

Jun 2008

thank you. well i guess i better go to the store to pick it up.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:21 PM   #4

Dec 2007

Picked it up yesterday, haven't looked at it yet.

This and THE DARK KNIGHT are so far the best movies of the year IMHO. And this brings my Scorsese count up to 4 Blu Rays. Would have been higher if GANGS OF NEW YORK didn't have such horrible PQ.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:47 AM   #5

Jun 2008
Ohio

Saw this twice in IMAX-LOVED it.Would have picked it up last night but for the $30 price tag.Will definately buy when I find it cheaper!
Old 08-01-2008, 05:42 AM   #6

Apr 2008
New York, New York

Is it a documentary or a concert? I wanna see Christina...
Old 08-01-2008, 07:21 AM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
Victoria, BC

I am so suprised that The Rolling Stones didn't include Give me Shelter it is only featured very prominently in both Martin Scorsese's Goodfellas and The Deaparted.
Home Theater Geeks Overcome Bond quotes USA the greatest country in the world? Immigrant Song Hall of the Mountain King
"Your intellect may be confused," he once wrote, "but your emotions will never lie to you." Roger Ebert Physical media forever!
Old 08-01-2008, 04:56 PM   #8
Power Member

Apr 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada View Post
I am so suprised that The Rolling Stones didn't include Give me Shelter it is only featured very prominently in both Martin Scorsese's Goodfellas and The Deaparted.
If you mean the movie "Gimme Shelter", it is owned by the Maysles brothers, not the Stones. Perhaps Criterion will release it on blu someday. If you mean the song, it just didn't seem to be part of their setlist at a lot of venues. Their catalog of hits is ginormous, and they can't play them all at every show. Even in the four DVD boxset of the last tour ("The Biggest Bang"), Gimme Shelter only shows up on the Shanghai, China concert video.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:20 PM   #9

Dec 2007

"If you mean the movie "Gimme Shelter", it is owned by the Maysles brothers, not the Stones. Perhaps Criterion will release it on blu someday."

Actually, you're in luck. "Gimmee Shelter" is actually one of the titles that Criterion announced that will be one of their first Blu-Ray titles released in October. I actually had it once. I bought it because I wanted to look at it for an essay I was writing in my documentary class about rockumentaries (along with THE LAST WALTZ and STOP MAKING SENSE), but then donated it to the film program. I think I may pick it up again just so that I have more than one Stones doc in my collection.

As for Christina, yes she dueting with Mick on "Live With Me" is one of the highlights of the film, since it shows that of the various pop divas, that Aguilera is the real deal. Do you think Spears or freaking Miley Cyrus could pull that off credibly? I highly fracking doubt that.

Also, little tiny bit of trivia for you that STAR WARS fans might get a kick out of. At Altamont, the Maysles had a whole team of cameramen whose job it was to film crowd footage and general stuff that was happening during the day, as well as the Stones themselves when they were on stage. And one of those cameramen was none other than a very young George Lucas. Unfortunately, none of the footage he shot ended up in the film since there was a crack in the magazine, thus exposing the film and making it useless. If I ever meet George, rather than bugging him about STAR WARS, I'd probably be bugging him about Altamont and being at the proverbial death of the 60's.

Last edited by reginaroadie; 08-03-2008 at 05:10 AM.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:02 AM   #10

Nov 2010
Kirksville, Missouri
Send a message via AIM to Richard Graham

Caught the last half of this on the Axs(?) channel on Dish. The energy is insane. Granted. they were being filmed and obviously played up to the cameras (especially Mick) but any talk of them being "too old" is bunk, they play a great gig here. I kept thinking the dude in the back looks like Lou Reed, and I'll be dammed if it wasn't him.
"Hey Paul!"
Old 02-26-2014, 09:32 AM   #11
Suspended

Jan 2013
UK, south

I wouldn't get it, but it's up to you init.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America