Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Fargo: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
6 hrs ago
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
13 hrs ago
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Planet of the Apes: Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99
4 hrs ago
Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.99

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

True Detective (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$11.99

22 Jump Street (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$149.99

Homeland: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 08-07-2008, 06:09 PM   #1

Aug 2008
Default Playing AVI files from Blu-ray player

Hello out there - I have never done this before so please bear with me. I have tried this, but am looking for verification: I converted a VHS tape to an AVI (about 3.5GB) then copied the file to a Blu-ray disk and it would not play from the player/burner. But, if I copy that file from the Blu-ray disk to the desktop it plays fine. Also, if I copy it from the Blu-ray disk to a DVD disk it plays without a problem. Is this simply a case of the speed of the drive (it is a 2X) and not being able to transfer the video fast enough?

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2008, 06:29 PM   #2

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELK1958 View Post
Hello out there - I have never done this before so please bear with me. I have tried this, but am looking for verification: I converted a VHS tape to an AVI (about 3.5GB) then copied the file to a Blu-ray disk and it would not play from the player/burner. But, if I copy that file from the Blu-ray disk to the desktop it plays fine. Also, if I copy it from the Blu-ray disk to a DVD disk it plays without a problem. Is this simply a case of the speed of the drive (it is a 2X) and not being able to transfer the video fast enough?

Thanks!
I'd have to know your process. If you are just burning the avi file to the BD you are actually making a BD data disc, not a BD movie disc - these disc will not be able to be played by bd players but will be able to be played by an OS application such as media player (because its still a .avi file not a BD file - I forget the BD extension). Tis would also explain it going to DVD. It's the way you are processing or should I say burning the disc.
Klipsch Cornwall L/R, Klipsch Heresy center, Definitive Technology BP2's (x4) rear, Wharfedale sw380 Subs (x2), SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2-8 inch transmission line Subs (rear), Yamaha power Amps mx830 (x2), Adcom 5503 3 channel power amp, Behringer EP4000 Power amp, BD HTPC, Xonar Essence ST/H6 modified Burson Supreme Discreet Opamps, NAS with 6gb ram running NAS4Free and 12tb of storage, Da-lite 16:9 106" Screen, BenQ 3D Projector, LG 55 inch LED TV.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:49 PM   #3

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
I'd have to know your process. If you are just burning the avi file to the BD you are actually making a BD data disc, not a BD movie disc - these disc will not be able to be played by bd players but will be able to be played by an OS application such as media player (because its still a .avi file not a BD file - I forget the BD extension). Tis would also explain it going to DVD. It's the way you are processing or should I say burning the disc.
This is just an AVI file created in Adobe Primere Pro CS3 and copied as data onto a Blu-ray disk and meant to be an uncompressed archive backup of a VHS tape. It is intentionally not in the Blu-ray format for purposes of using the file to convert to other file fomats at a later date.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:11 PM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2008
Irving, TX PSNetwork: Xerios
Send a message via AIM to Xerios Send a message via MSN to Xerios

sounds like u just burned a blu-ray data disk... it wouldnt play in a player because its not a video disc. maybe im missing something but thats what it sounds like when u describe it to me
Blu's: 276
PS4 Games: 7 (Physical) 7 (Downloadable)
3/14 PS4 Games 100% Complete

http://www.yourgamercards.net/trophy/a/Xerios.png
Old 08-07-2008, 09:31 PM   #5

Oct 2007
NYC, New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerios View Post
sounds like u just burned a blu-ray data disk... it wouldnt play in a player because its not a video disc. maybe im missing something but thats what it sounds like when u describe it to me
He isn't palying it on a blu-ray player but he is trying to play it on a PC with a blu-ray drive on it. I don't know what the problem could be.
Pioneer Kuro PDP-6010FD
Panasonic DMP-BD30K
Sony PS3 and Microsoft Xbox360
Onkyo TX-SR705 Reciever
DirecTV HR20-700 (2)
Stewart 110" Firehawk screen
Sharp XV-Z1200 projector
Samsung LN-S4051D
Old 08-08-2008, 02:56 AM   #6

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELK1958 View Post
This is just an AVI file created in Adobe Primere Pro CS3 and copied as data onto a Blu-ray disk and meant to be an uncompressed archive backup of a VHS tape. It is intentionally not in the Blu-ray format for purposes of using the file to convert to other file fomats at a later date.
Right click on the disc to explore it, then open the file, Windows will choose the proper program to play the file WMP ect....
As a Data disc, you won't be able to just pop it in and play it - you must choose the file. If you have tried it this way - I don't know what else to say (its not the drive though).
Klipsch Cornwall L/R, Klipsch Heresy center, Definitive Technology BP2's (x4) rear, Wharfedale sw380 Subs (x2), SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2-8 inch transmission line Subs (rear), Yamaha power Amps mx830 (x2), Adcom 5503 3 channel power amp, Behringer EP4000 Power amp, BD HTPC, Xonar Essence ST/H6 modified Burson Supreme Discreet Opamps, NAS with 6gb ram running NAS4Free and 12tb of storage, Da-lite 16:9 106" Screen, BenQ 3D Projector, LG 55 inch LED TV.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:27 PM   #7

Aug 2008

Hi all,
I'm sure I'm not explaining this very well. You are correct - I am playing the file on a PC (the same PC\Drive that the file was created on) but, when I click on the file windows media player launches but, nothing happens, it freezes and never plays. But, then I can take that same AVI file and put it on a DVD disk and play it from the same Blu-ray drive on the same PC, windows media player opens and the video plays fine. I can't see the Pc being the problem . . . it is a beast. New Dell XPS 720 / 3.2GHz quad core / 4GB ram / 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT / 1Tb drive. I keep thinking it is a Blu-ray drive speed limitation and that this will improve as the drives get faster - but I have been looking around on the web for some time and can find no proof of this.
Thanks all for your input!
Old 08-08-2008, 02:33 PM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2008
Irving, TX PSNetwork: Xerios
Send a message via AIM to Xerios Send a message via MSN to Xerios

only thing i can think of is read speed of the Disc itself, not the drive..
Blu's: 276
PS4 Games: 7 (Physical) 7 (Downloadable)
3/14 PS4 Games 100% Complete

http://www.yourgamercards.net/trophy/a/Xerios.png
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software