COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Breaking Bad: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$102.49
House of Cards: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$23.49
Disney Parks: The Secrets, Stories and Magic Behind the Scenes (Blu-ray)
$9.95
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Restored Jazz Big Band Classics (Blu-ray)
$141.30
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$183.99
Veep: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$20.99
Earth From Above: Stunning Water (Blu-ray)
$9.95
Battle Royale (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Showdown (Blu-ray)
$37.95
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Masters of Sex: Season One (Blu-ray)
$29.49
Inside Llewyn Davis (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Lucy (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Batman: Assault on Arkham (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$44.96
Ernest & Celestine (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Sabrina (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists

Old 09-03-2008, 05:31 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2004
New Jersey
Thumbs up Who wants Disney's The Black Hole on blu-ray?

If you have read my "confession thread" then you know I just bought this movie on DVD. http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=62523

After buying my blu-ray player last year I SWORE I would never buy another DVD. That I could not think of a single movie I wanted that badly. I was wrong. I waited nearly 30 years to get this one.

Disney, this 1979 visual masterpiece deserves a 30 year anniversay release for 2009. It stars Ernest Borgnine who is 94 now. Get it on blu-ray while he is still alive to give commentary.

This movie holds almost as much allure as 2001: A Space Odyssey. The viewer must muse as to the meaning of the ending, when the Maximillian robot and his maker become one. And seemingly rule over "Dante's Inferno" in hell.

DVD does not do this movie justice. Please, pull this classic from the vault and remaster it for blu-ray.
Proud founder of the blu-bloods.
Use "blu-blood" in your signature and become an elite user.

To be blu-blooded is commitment to the blu-ray technology. We believe other forms of HD media are inferior. Our goal is educate, support and propagate blu-ray.

Creatures of Hard Media
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=43882

Last edited by tron3; 09-03-2008 at 05:37 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:17 PM   #2

Aug 2008
Arizona
Default Disney's awsome

Just about everything on Disney is awsome.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:57 PM   #3
Man in the Box

Jan 2007

Maximilian was a great villain in the movie.

Slim Pickens did the voice of Bob - remember him? the hick, broken down robot!

Great movie. Makes me want to pick this up and add it to my collection.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:03 PM   #4

Jul 2008

I'd love this on blu-ray if it were cleaned up etc.

On the same note, I bought a brand new copy of the dvd just the other day at best buy, it was like $3. Just remembered it as a kid, loved the whole story and characters.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:40 AM   #5
Banned

May 2007
Brussels, Belgium

I do, I do !
As a kid this movie made quite an impression on me. So bring it on
Old 09-04-2008, 11:14 PM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by quexos View Post
I do, I do !
As a kid this movie made quite an impression on me. So bring it on
Okay, lets be rational. I think the movie is fun -- and the Oscar-nominated VFX and art direction are justifiably famous -- but the movie is a flat-footed mess, the very definition of guilty pleasure, and it cannot stand comparison to 2001.

That being said, the very first DVD I ever bought was The Black Hole. It was the reason I bought a DVD player. I collected all the Disney laserdiscs and a wide-screen edition of The Black Hole was never released in the states...so, when Anchor Bay released the title, in order to see it in wide-screen and to fill out my collection, I had to buy a DVD player and buy the Black Hole DVD (especially when I heard it playing in 5.1 at Dave's Video - I was sold).

So, sure, bring on The Black Hole. But long before Disney brought The Black Hole to Blu-Ray, I'd rather see 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Third Man on the Mountain, Darby O'Gill and the Little People, Pollyanna, Three Lives of Thomasina, Sword and the Rose, Story of Robin Hood and his Merrie Men, Treasure Island, Those Calloways, Old Yeller, Swiss Family Robinson, The Happiest Millionaire, Mary Poppins, Summer Magic, Family Band, Never Cry Wolf, TRON, The Journey of Natty Gann, Dick Tracy, Iron Will and even In Search of the Castaways. In fact, lets get all of those pan-and-scan only releases of the 80's and 90's films out ASAP. We can always upconvert our DVD of The Black Hole, I'm still waiting to see Natty Gann in its original 2.35:1 aspect ratio. It's been over 20 years since Americans have seen that John Cusack film the way it was intended - in wide-screen. That's my #1 most-wanted right now, that and 20,000 Leagues.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:04 AM   #7
Power Member

Apr 2007
Greenville, SC

Disney's first non-G-rated movie.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:29 AM   #8

Dec 2007

I agree its cool. Disney can also make this the first under priced Blu-Ray (10.99) and put it in with blu-ray players as a starter disc.

Line from film:
*There are People! ... I know it! I feel it!!*
*Just a Shadow, Kate.*
Also a Member of H.D.F.
http://www.facebook.com/blu.jawa
My Twitter is @Blu_Jawa
Old 09-05-2008, 10:10 AM   #9
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galley View Post
Disney's first non-G-rated movie.
Not true. The first Disney film to earn a PG rating was Walt Disney's own "Treasure Island". After the creation of the MPAA, as a matter of routine prior to its re-release in the 70's, Treasure Island was submitted to the MPAA which promptly gave the film a PG rating. The Disney studios were mortified, and rather than release the film with the PG rating, they took out the scissors and trimmed shots of violence to bring the film down to a G.

When the original cut was released on home video in the early 90's, it carried a "NR" rating (meaning, not-rated). For the DVD release, Disney threw up its hands or just figured no one cared anymore, and it carried the original PG rating from the 70's, so its 1950's Treasure Island, not 1979's The Black Hole, that is the first PG-rated Disney film.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:35 PM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Jawa View Post
I agree its cool. Disney can also make this the first under priced Blu-Ray (10.99) and put it in with blu-ray players as a starter disc.
If Disney wanted to include starter discs, they'd probably go with one of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies or a Pixar title. If you want to get people hooked on your product, get 'em high on the first try. The Black Hole isn't going to accomplish that -- these days, it's a curio in a thrift store. It's a prime target for a remake, though...so much squandered potential is too frustrating to just let lie.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:44 AM   #11
Power Member

Apr 2007
Greenville, SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Rister View Post
Not true. The first Disney film to earn a PG rating was Walt Disney's own "Treasure Island". After the creation of the MPAA, as a matter of routine prior to its re-release in the 70's, Treasure Island was submitted to the MPAA which promptly gave the film a PG rating. The Disney studios were mortified, and rather than release the film with the PG rating, they took out the scissors and trimmed shots of violence to bring the film down to a G.
Perhaps, but it was still released as a G-rated film. "The Black Hole" was the first to be released with anything other than a G.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:34 AM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galley View Post
Perhaps, but it was still released as a G-rated film. "The Black Hole" was the first to be released with anything other than a G.
Treasure Island was orginally released in 1950 with no rating at all because the MPAA didn't exist yet. When the film was re-released in the early 70's, the MPAA gave it a PG. So Disney released a different version without blood and people getting slashed in the face. The first RELEASED Disney film to earn a PG rating was Treasure Island, despite the fact that it was over two decades old when it received the rating.

Go buy the DVD or check it out on amazon -- The DVD is the uncut version.

What is the rating?

PG.

It's the same exact film that was released in 1950. In other words, the first Disney film to earn a PG rating was released years before the MPAA ever existed.

Last edited by Ernest Rister; 09-07-2008 at 03:33 PM.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:29 AM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2007
Caleefoahniuhh (as our old govunah would say)

I never did pick up the dvd, so I'll surely get it on blu as long as it's remastered.
Defeat of deduct must go over defense before detail does.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:43 PM   #14

Aug 2009
Markham, Ontario

Would I like to see 'The Black Hole' on BD? I think my avatar says it all

As 2009 is the films 30th anniversary, I'm really disappointed that Disney hasn't announced anything yet
Apparently, no links are allowed
Old 09-08-2009, 11:38 PM   #15

Apr 2009

I'd buy it for sure, especially if it was to be like the never made Archive Edition laserdisc. But Ernest is right, there's alot more that I'd want to see Disney put out first (glad to see you put The Happiest Millionaire on your list).

So much of Disney's live action catalog got such awful treatment on DVD (even better remembered stuff like The Gnome Mobile and Babes in Toyland) it's going to take Disney awhile to put them out.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:16 PM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2004
New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanger-Hanger View Post
So much of Disney's live action catalog got such awful treatment on DVD (even better remembered stuff like The Gnome Mobile and Babes in Toyland) it's going to take Disney awhile to put them out.
That is surprising since Disney is known for quality, even when the movie script is a clunker. I don't think Disney appreciates the cult following of The Black Hole.

Many people complained about the ending, but it isn't your typical movie ending. The whole film is a little like 2001: ASO. It is artsy and you have to discover the meaning, not be told the meaning. It is like Dante's Inferno. He now rules over hell rather than serve in heaven. Sci-fi meets fantasy,

To be blu-blooded is commitment to the blu-ray technology. We believe other forms of HD media are inferior. Our goal is educate, support and propagate blu-ray.

Creatures of Hard Media
Old 09-09-2009, 12:26 PM   #17
Banned

Sep 2009

Oooo, oooo, I do!
I love cheesy in a pleasant way goodness of this 1970's science fiction movie.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:05 PM   #18
Power Member

Apr 2009

Loved this movie as a kid, so bring on the BD!
Old 07-17-2010, 10:15 PM   #19

Feb 2010
At The Movies
Default The Black Hole

And don't forget, it has a GREAT score by John Berry!
Old 07-18-2010, 10:35 PM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2004
New Jersey

Watched it again just last night. Even with the upscaling the opening of the green grid "event horizon" of the black hole suffered. This needs some serious blu-ray remastering and fast. First time I noticed little spots and flecks during the movie.

Creatures of Hard Media
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists