COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Y Tu Mamá También (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The East (Blu-ray)
$6.99
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Tinto Brass: Maestro of Erotica Cinema (Blu-ray)
$45.34
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$18.96
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Like Water for Chocolate (Blu-ray)
$9.29
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$74.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Once Upon a Time: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Homeland: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Game of Thrones - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Friends: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$110.00
Chuck: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$66.99
Twin Peaks: The Entire Mystery (Blu-ray)
$91.99
Out of the Past (Blu-ray)
$16.49
Old 11-21-2011, 09:40 PM   #1361
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
LOTR Auckland, New Zealand (Down Under)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillside Trece View Post
Wait --

Before this gets moved to a separate discussion, I'd like to hear Zoet's input and response with regard to Badas' feelings of this Maxell disc and how it relates to the performance of the BDP-83 and associated equipment...

I think he deserves the opportunity to respond and provide his view/counterpoint...
Well, I'm not talking about it anymore. I gave out free advice that for anyone who owns the disc could have tried for nothing. It ended up being rudely thrown back at my face.

I have been into HT since 1988 back in the VHS and laser disc days. Believe me during that time you pick up some handy tweaks. Just because technology has gone mostly digital doesn't mean that there is no more analogue devices in the audio chain. A lot was learned during the analogue period that seems to be just thrown away. Demagnetising or separating components was very important.

Like I said. I gave free advice use it or lose it.

Ta Dono
Source: iPod 160G in Arcam DrDock, 2x Oppo BDP-103D's (Blu-ray, CD, SACD and DVD Audio), PS3 and PS4.
Amplification: Marantz SR7008, 2x Marantz MM7055's (10 amps bi-amping 5 channels).
Speakers (7.3 system): 4 x Polk RTiA7's, Polk CSP 1000, 2x Atlantic TLC-8.2, Polk PSW 1200, 2x SVS SB Ultra 13's and triple buttkicker system.
Projection: Dreamvision Yunzi + 3 Tentation Ltd. Ed.
Headgear: Oppo HA-1 (DAC and amp), Audeze LCD-3 and Sennheiser HD700. Ordered Woo WA22
Old 11-21-2011, 10:26 PM   #1362
Banned

Nov 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badas View Post
Well, I'm not talking about it anymore. I gave out free advice that for anyone who owns the disc could have tried for nothing. It ended up being rudely thrown back at my face.

I have been into HT since 1988 back in the VHS and laser disc days. Believe me during that time you pick up some handy tweaks. Just because technology has gone mostly digital doesn't mean that there is no more analogue devices in the audio chain. A lot was learned during the analogue period that seems to be just thrown away. Demagnetising or separating components was very important.

Like I said. I gave free advice use it or lose it.

Ta Dono
Wait a second, Badas:

I FOR ONE am NOT questioning your expertise, dedication to this hobby or level of experience with regard to the context of this conversation.
Let's be perfectly clear about that; I don't think this has anything to do with how long someone has been involved with this hobby since the days of laserdisc or VHS...I completely respect every single suggestion, tip and piece of advice you have ever given me, regardless of differences in opinion that we all have. I respect your loyalty to the hobby, as well as the level of expertise in the game, as explained by you.

I just feel that because this has been brought up now, and because two sides had a chance to provide their viewpoints on this laser cleaning solution, it's not fair to just say you're "not talking about it anymore" as Zoet didn't get a chance to respond to the last round of comments you provided -- the theory that DAC's can be "cleaned" somehow in the chain (of course, not a literal explanation or quote, but you know what I mean) seemed a bit strange and questionable to me as well, and I have been in the hobby for a good many years too. That is why I just wanted to hear his side of the argument in terms of the Maxell cleaner; at least let's give him a chance to contribute his thoughts...

Please don't feel it was "thrown back at ya;" let's try to discuss the differences of opinion about this Maxell system in the most humane way possible...

Thank You.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:10 PM   #1363
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008

Well,

I have some Oppo news. I played the new Harry Potter in the weekend on my newer Denon 1611 blu-ray player. It jumped and skipped every once and a while.
I put the disc into the Oppo BDP-83 and it played no issue at all.

Shows that the Oppo is still one of the most robust players available.

Ta Dono
Source: iPod 160G in Arcam DrDock, 2x Oppo BDP-103D's (Blu-ray, CD, SACD and DVD Audio), PS3 and PS4.
Amplification: Marantz SR7008, 2x Marantz MM7055's (10 amps bi-amping 5 channels).
Speakers (7.3 system): 4 x Polk RTiA7's, Polk CSP 1000, 2x Atlantic TLC-8.2, Polk PSW 1200, 2x SVS SB Ultra 13's and triple buttkicker system.
Headgear: Oppo HA-1 (DAC and amp), Audeze LCD-3 and Sennheiser HD700. Ordered Woo WA22
Old 11-22-2011, 03:04 AM   #1364

Nov 2008
Akron, Ohio

Quote:
Well,

I have some Oppo news. I played the new Harry Potter in the weekend on my newer Denon 1611 blu-ray player. It jumped and skipped every once and a while.

Ta Dono
Just got to love the BDP-83!
EQUIPMENT:Panasonic TH-65PZ850U plasma
OPPO BDP-103 blu-ray player-OPPO DV-983H dvd player-Pioneer CLD-99 laser disc player-Onkyo PR-SC5507P-Preamplifier-200x3 Acurus amplifier-150x2 Acurus amplifier-Emotiva UPA-2 amplifier-2 Mythos 4 (l/r)-1 Mythos 8 (c)-2 Mythos BPX (sides)-2 NHT Super Zero (rears)-Hsu VTF-2 MK3 subwoofer-Sony SDP-EP9ES digital surround processor-Xbox 360 Elite-Roku 3 streaming player-DVDO Edge, Darbeevision Darblet
Old 11-29-2011, 02:57 AM   #1365
Banned

Feb 2010
St. Paul Minnesota

Oppo BDP-83 will never be fully functional thanks to it's outdated MediaTek decoder chipset.

Hearing clipping on Jurassic Park? Missing a 6th surround Channel on Return of the Jedi?
Yes, these are problems that possibly will never be fixed because MediaTek doesn't consider the chips in the BDP-83 to be worthy of future flash upgrades because of their "outdated'ness".

Oppo is aware of all theses issues and a few more, all of them in MediaTek's court and supposedly- possibly never to be addressed.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:02 AM   #1366
Special Member

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewsjr View Post
Just got to love the BDP-83!
I know I love mine.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:49 AM   #1367
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2009
The Great White North
Send a message via Yahoo to Glassroots

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanIre View Post
I know I love mine.
Amen to that. My Oppos been a dream.
Rest in Peace Paul.

PSN ID: glassroots

GO WINNIPEG JETS GO!!!!
Old 11-29-2011, 08:51 PM   #1368
Blu-ray Guru

May 2009
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post
Oppo BDP-83 will never be fully functional thanks to it's outdated MediaTek decoder chipset.

Hearing clipping on Jurassic Park? Missing a 6th surround Channel on Return of the Jedi?
Yes, these are problems that possibly will never be fixed because MediaTek doesn't consider the chips in the BDP-83 to be worthy of future flash upgrades because of their "outdated'ness".

Oppo is aware of all theses issues and a few more, all of them in MediaTek's court and supposedly- possibly never to be addressed.
Is it really necessary to post this in every thread? This is the only one where it belonged.

And you're surprised that some particular technology is obsolete? Really? I suppose you still use floppy drives on your computer.

Missing a sixth surround channel on ROTJ isn't going to kill anybody. I can tell you that in the theatre, Dolby EX and DTS ES was imperceptible. Which is why they were both failures.

I suspect that clipping on Jurassic Park is more of a mastering problem than a MediaTek issue because some idiot supervising the sound mix or mastering was screaming, "make it louder!"
loose="not tight", lose="can't find it, doesn't have anymore" or the opposite of "win".
their="belongs to", there="place", they're="they are", there's = "there is"
it's="it is", for everything else use "its"
then="after", than="compared with"
"a lot" not "alot"

A Guide to Spelling and Punctuation
Old 11-30-2011, 01:33 AM   #1369
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoetMB View Post
Is it really necessary to post this in every thread? This is the only one where it belonged.

And you're surprised that some particular technology is obsolete? Really? I suppose you still use floppy drives on your computer.

Missing a sixth surround channel on ROTJ isn't going to kill anybody. I can tell you that in the theatre, Dolby EX and DTS ES was imperceptible. Which is why they were both failures.

I suspect that clipping on Jurassic Park is more of a mastering problem than a MediaTek issue because some idiot supervising the sound mix or mastering was screaming, "make it louder!"
I agree with Fanboyz comments.

This is an issue that Oppo needs to look at. Oppo shouldn't put a 3rd party chipset in without backup.
I have read about this a bit. However I haven't struck a issue yet.

Ta Dono
Old 11-30-2011, 02:00 AM   #1370
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
Default ^^^^

From what I've read on other forums. The audio issue is when you use the analogue outputs. Not HDMI bitstream. Can anyone confirm?
I use HDMI bitstream. However I watched Jurrassic and Star Wars on my Denon 1611.

Ta Dono
Old 11-30-2011, 02:20 AM   #1371

Jul 2009
Vancouver Island Canada

Quote:
From what I've read on other forums. The audio issue is when you use the analogue outputs. Not HDMI bitstream. Can anyone confirm?
I use HDMI bitstream. However I watched Jurrassic and Star Wars on my Denon 1611.

Ta Dono
I am using the HDMI for movie vewing and have had no clipping on the audio. I don't have Starwars. Just finished JurrassicIII last night and there was nothing amiss on the audio.
Sharp Aquos 52"
Oppo 83SE
Yahama RX-A2000
Martin Logan ElectrMotion ESL
Kef 3001 speakers & Kef KHT 3001 sub
Old 11-30-2011, 02:26 AM   #1372
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatBlu View Post
I am using the HDMI for movie vewing and have had no clipping on the audio. I don't have Starwars. Just finished JurrassicIII last night and there was nothing amiss on the audio.
Good to know.

I won't bother about it then.

Ta Dono
Old 11-30-2011, 02:44 AM   #1373
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2008
Middletown, RI (MEMBER OF THE "ECPP")™

I'm an hour 39 mins into JUR. PARK, no "clipping" issues whatsoever - just flat out Ass-Kicking' 7.1 Audio!!

(I'll finish it tomorrow, & get to the other 2 as soon as I can - Also, my STAR WARS Complete Saga just arrived today, so you Know that'll be popped in soon also!).
** Boston, MA. - 8 Sports Titles in 11 Years!! (2002-2013) **

** R.I.P. - RICHIE HAYWARD - (2/6/46 - 8/12/10) **
POLK AUDIO: "LIVE IT, BREATHE IT, LOVE IT, BELIEVE IT!" ™
50" Samsung DLP - POLK AUDIO - "7.2" Set-up - Center: CS2 - Front: T90e's
Surrounds: FXi A6's (Side), A3's (Rear) - Subs: 2 PA-120's
Onkyo TX-SR706 - OPPO BDP-83 - DirecTV: "GENIE"/HR-44 HD-DVR - Harmony ONE
BLU-RAYS: 922
Old 11-30-2011, 03:07 AM   #1374
Banned

Feb 2010
St. Paul Minnesota

These issues only manifest when the Oppo decodes the soundtrack to LPCM via HDMI or through 7.1 analogue outs. All these issues were confirmed by Oppo. They and everyone else say it's MediaTek's chip, and it's their problem- and MediaTek doesn't care enough to fix it. It looks like we have been boned. This upsets me.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:09 PM   #1375
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post
These issues only manifest when the Oppo decodes the soundtrack to LPCM via HDMI or through 7.1 analogue outs. All these issues were confirmed by Oppo. They and everyone else say it's MediaTek's chip, and it's their problem- and MediaTek doesn't care enough to fix it. It looks like we have been boned. This upsets me.
To have a player that plays everything perfectly is very uncommon. I know its not right, however this is why I have 3 different blu-ray players in my HT rack. Oppo BDP-83, Denon 1611 and PS3 Slim.

The Denon 1611 is not playing the latest Harry Potter correctly. Picture skips, however the Oppo is. So you still end up winning.

I recommend running multiple players, they are now also cheap enougth.

Ta Dono
Old 11-30-2011, 07:54 PM   #1376
Banned

Feb 2010
St. Paul Minnesota

I have a PS3 too, I'll survive...
Somehow.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:44 PM   #1377

Feb 2011
USA

Quote:
Well,

Ta Dono
I have experienced the Opposite. My Denon 4010 operates smooth and plays great, my OPPO 83 often does not respond to remote commands. An audioholics.com review of the 93 and 95 found the same thing in their new review samples:
"Configuration of both the BDP-93 and BDP-95 players is virtually identical. They follow the same setup procedures found on the BDP-83 which we found to be very intuitive. The only real gripe we found was that, on occasion, both players seemed unresponsive to the remote control. There were instances where we tried to navigate through the setup menus where the players simply didn't respond. We informed Oppo about this and they also confirmed some users occasionally experienced similar issues."
OPPO does have good people, products and service, I am not bashing them at all, my post just means people will experience different things with different or even the same machines, and we cant really declare anything as superior and trouble free. Both the denon and oppo have great PQ

Last edited by Bluepers; 12-01-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:53 PM   #1378

Sep 2008
Indiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatBlu View Post
Just received my Jurrassic Trilogy! Good to hear no issue with your set up. I do too have '83 using HDMI bitstream. At least I don't have to worry about.

Never have any issue with this since I got it.
Main: 55" 8500 Samsung LCD 1080P/DT Front BP-7002/Def Tech Ctr/DT Sur Mythos Five/Dual DT Sub Super Cube II/Integra 80.1/ XPA-2 /Denon DVD-955 DVD-A/ SACD/OPPO BDP-83/Monster Power HTS2600 MKII / halo a23s
Stereo: Conrad Johnson Classic Preamp / ) Ming da 75 tube amp/Emotiva ERC-1 CD Player/NAD Turntable/ Paradigm 100s / CA DAC Magic Plus / CA Azur MM phono amp
BR Set up:Def Tech BP-7006/Sony S550 blu-ray player/Onkyo-Integra TX-DS 939/ apc h10 per cond.
Fam room: Sony 52" XBR5
Old 12-02-2011, 12:39 AM   #1379
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepers View Post
Both the denon and oppo have great PQ
The Denon's have a obvious picture clipping. The above white info is clipped at about 243. To make it look like it has extra contrast. The Oppo goes to 255.
I gave Denon a hard time about this and they corrected it for the latest batch of firmware. Problem is if you power off the HDMI board goes back to factory settings with the clipping. Not good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poogie View Post
Never have any issue with this since I got it.
I've never had a issue with the Oppo either. I think it's the best out of the two I own.

Ta Dono
Old 12-02-2011, 02:28 PM   #1380

Feb 2011
USA

I don't know about measuring and test discs. I've just always liked the Video and audio of Denon's players, going back to when it was just DVD.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders