Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$55.95
Willow (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.95
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
Red Cliff Part I & II (Blu-ray)
$13.39
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.91
McLintock! (Blu-ray)
$10.20
Game of Thrones - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
James Cameron's Deepsea Challenge 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.89
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 09-16-2008, 12:26 AM   #1
Man in the Box

Jan 2007
Default PS3 blu-ray playback issue

I have a 60 gig launch PS3 and during certain times, not always, the play station pop up menu comes up during the movie... Ok so I x it out and sure enough it pops back up again about 10 mins or so.

Now, it doesn't happen all the time, just sometimes... got any ideas? is there something wrong with my controller?
Old 09-16-2008, 12:34 AM   #2
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2007

Have you tried putting the controllers/remote far enough away that they can't possible control the PS3? Seems like that should help determine whether it's a controller issue or not. Personally, I haven't seen that happen with either of my 60-gig PS3s. I mostly control mine with the remote though.
PSN: OWA
XBL: OWAXB1
Old 09-16-2008, 12:59 AM   #3

Sep 2008
St. Louis, MO

I have the same issue with my 60GB launch PS3 and it's not only when I watch movies. Sometimes when playing games the controller acts like I pressed the triangle button. It's really annoying. It has to be a glitch with the controller. Since mine is now out of warranty with Sony, I haven't bothered calling or emailing them. I don't know what to do about it either.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:45 AM   #4
Man in the Box

Jan 2007

I have a feeling it's with one of my controllers. ugh.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:51 AM   #5
Man in the Box

Jan 2007

Ok, after a few tries, it has to be one of the controllers. On one controller, the little pop up menu comes up every so often. I don't know why, anyone have ideas?

I did remedy this by plugging in the controller, played it again and it appears to not pop up.

All this would probably be solved with a remote, but just curious if anyone else can replicate what I've typed out.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:51 AM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2008
Milwaukee, WI

Sounds like the controller, yeah.

Do you have the blu-ray remote? If not, can you borrow one or another controller from someone to test it? I'd leave that controller off and try a different one- maybe rent one from a rental place?

Other alternative is of course to use it as an excuse to pick up a sweet rumble controller.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:53 AM   #7
Man in the Box

Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis109 View Post
Sounds like the controller, yeah.

Do you have the blu-ray remote? If not, can you borrow one or another controller from someone to test it? I'd leave that controller off and try a different one- maybe rent one from a rental place?

Other alternative is of course to use it as an excuse to pick up a sweet rumble controller.
I've been so outta touch lately due to home projects, I didn't even know there was a rumble controller

But yeah, looks like I can upgrade, problem is, I'll have to eat the cost of the controller b/c I can't honestly sell it to anyone knowing what I know. I'll keep it as a backup I suppose.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:02 AM   #8

Sep 2008
St. Louis, MO

Probably should have mentioned this in my last reply, but it definitely is your controller. I have 2 controllers and only 1 has this problem.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:03 AM   #9
Man in the Box

Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifuwereahotdog View Post
I have the same issue with my 60GB launch PS3 and it's not only when I watch movies. Sometimes when playing games the controller acts like I pressed the triangle button. It's really annoying. It has to be a glitch with the controller. Since mine is now out of warranty with Sony, I haven't bothered calling or emailing them. I don't know what to do about it either.
Does this happen to you with it plugged in? Try it and let me know. Mine does not pop up with it plugged in. Just an FYI - the controller in question is at full charge.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:47 AM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2008
Milwaukee, WI

Hrm. Faulty bluetooth maybe? I'm not sure if the controller communicates via the usb. I'd assume it does.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:30 AM   #11

Sep 2008
St. Louis, MO

Ha. You actually gave me a good reason to watch Supernatural Season 3 again . Ive had the controller plugged in for over an hour now and no pop-up menu. I was certain it was a bluetooth issue, but now I'm confused. May just have to use that controller as a back up when all others batteries are dead.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:47 AM   #12

Sep 2008
Default Similar Problem

Quote:

I sometimes have a problem when playing games (haven't had a problem w/ movies) where the Left control stick apparently gets stuck in the "UP" position for about 3 seconds...sucks when playing Oblivion/ Ratchet & Clank, GTA5:Prologue, etc. I have the 60gb launch also. I usually re-assign my controller port, and I rarely experience it again while in the current playing session. Also are you using a standard controller, or a Dual Shock 3?
Old 09-16-2008, 03:33 PM   #13
Man in the Box

Jan 2007

Quote:
Ha. You actually gave me a good reason to watch Supernatural Season 3 again . Ive had the controller plugged in for over an hour now and no pop-up menu. I was certain it was a bluetooth issue, but now I'm confused. May just have to use that controller as a back up when all others batteries are dead.
Misery loves company it appears

Well good to see it works for you too, I wonder how many other users are affected by this. For now, I'll just mark the bad one with a sticker or something.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:06 PM   #14
Expert Member

Feb 2008
LA/OC, California

i guess you can always shut off the controller once you start movie playback (hit the ps button and turn the controller off) and turn it back on whenever you need to.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:31 PM   #15
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by prankster View Post
i guess you can always shut off the controller once you start movie playback (hit the ps button and turn the controller off) and turn it back on whenever you need to.
Just get the remote. It's inexpensive and works great.
PSN: OWA
XBL: OWAXB1
Old 09-17-2008, 04:36 AM   #16

Sep 2008
St. Louis, MO

Quote:
Originally Posted by meinveins View Post
I sometimes have a problem when playing games (haven't had a problem w/ movies) where the Left control stick apparently gets stuck in the "UP" position for about 3 seconds...sucks when playing Oblivion/ Ratchet & Clank, GTA5:Prologue, etc. I have the 60gb launch also. I usually re-assign my controller port, and I rarely experience it again while in the current playing session. Also are you using a standard controller, or a Dual Shock 3?
Yeah, I am having the problem with the standard 6-axis controller. I actually realized it when playing GTA IV. The player on the screen would run around in circles for about 3 seconds. Then when driving a car, my guy would just jump out at random times (the triangle button gets you out of the car). Next time I will try to reassign and see what happens.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders