COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Doctor and the Devils (Blu-ray)
$8.99
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$109.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Americano (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Jack Ryan Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.80
Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Seasons 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$48.78
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Green Planet (Blu-ray)
$80.99
Nymphomaniac: Volume II (Blu-ray)
$13.92
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Justice League: War (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Hide and Seek (Blu-ray)
$7.41
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 09-16-2008, 02:41 PM   #1
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008
Default SILENT WHITE -- Why the Platinum Edition of SNOW WHITE Needs the Isolated Score

One of the joys of mid-90's Disney Laserdiscs was a surprising but wonderful feature -- the ability to watch the entire movie with only the isolated original soundtrack. This feature was trotted out with the massive Snow White laserdisc box set, but was also used for Alice In Wonderland: Exclusive Archive Edition and the CAV pressing for Bambi, among others.

Entertainment Weekly raved about the "silent" version of Snow White -- and so did the Disney fan base.

So it was surprising when Snow White came to Platinum DVD without the acclaimed feature. To my knowledge, in the DVD era, no release of a Disney animated feature on DVD included an isolated score, and I can only presume the company felt the feature could cut into sales of the score on CD or ITunes or what have you. Others stated that wasn't the problem -- they said there wasn't enough disc space for the isolated score on DVD, what with the music videos, interactive games, commentary track and what have you.

Well, I'd like to fire a shot across the bow -- when Snow White comes to Blu-Ray next fall, it should include the soundtrack-only option. Many people got into Blu-Ray for the picture, but if picture quality was the end of the story, HD-DVD could have easily won. Blu-Ray, with its higher capacity, promised more than HD-DVD could deliver. When it comes to Snow White, surely the Blu-Ray release of this American classic should deliver more than a laserdisc release almost 15 years old.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:11 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2008
Gothenburg, Sweden

This should realy be standard practice for all music-centered movies. Either that or a commentary that cuts in on the silent parts at least. I think Edward Scissorhands and The Matrix had these features on DVD.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:18 PM   #3
Expert Member

Jul 2007
Tulsa, Oklahoma

this may sound dumb, but if they didnt do it and you still wanted to get the same effect, could you not unhook your center channel since 95% (not exact, just a guess) of your dialogue goes through it? just a thought and worth a shot even
"I'm the lizard king, I can do anything."
Old 07-31-2012, 10:14 PM   #4

Feb 2010

wouldn't exactly be the same, as many times slight dialogue does filter to the surround channels, if the movie carries 5.1 audio.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:23 PM   #5
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Rister View Post
Well, I'd like to fire a shot across the bow -- when Snow White comes to Blu-Ray next fall....
(O-kay, who's been digging around in the Necro-Post graveyard again? )
Old 07-31-2012, 11:53 PM   #6
Site Manager

Aug 2006
USiberia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericj View Post
(o-kay, who's been digging around in the necro-post graveyard again? )
I needed a few earth worms.jpg
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America