Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.99
The Strain: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$34.96
Kundo (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Simpsons: The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.96
Dragon Ball Z: Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 6 (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Oblivion (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Neighbors (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Wrong Turn Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$12.98
The Nutty Professor: 50th Anniversary (Blu-ray)
$28.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.95
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 09-17-2008, 08:17 AM   #1
Special Member

Mar 2008
Grande Prairie, Alberta
Default Audiophile Speakerwire Recommendations

I am piecing together my stereo system and I'm looking for some good speaker wire. I know everyone is going to say go to monoprice, but I'm not looking for budget wire... I'm looking for reasonably priced (no more than $100 for my 10 feet that I need) audiophile grade, 10-12 gauge speaker wire.

The most I've ever spent on speaker wire is about $1.00 a foot, so anything more than that is new to me and therefore I would like brand as well as site recommendations.

I will be using Monster M Series M1000i interconnects as I can get them from a friend for $25 for 2 pairs at 4 feet each, if anyone can recommend a better stereo interconnect (i need 2 sets) for under $50 a set, that would also be greatly appreciated.
TV: Panasonic TC-P42G10Players:250 GB PS3 Slim Receivers:Onkyo 705, 8555 Speakers:Klipsch RF-35s, RS-42s, RC-35, RW12d, Tannoy DC4Ts

"Where you hear the free exchange of ideas, I hear a thousand idiots typing 'First' as fast as they can."
"Well surely people must write other things on the internet, what do they post after 'First'?"
"Second, third and so on, until finally they grow weary of numerals, and begin to compare the topic at hand to Nazis or homosexual intercourse"
Old 09-17-2008, 01:01 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2008
Brooks Alberta

You won't find much for "audiophile grade" in that price range. The "cheap stuff" starts around 320 bucks for a 10 foot pair.

Anything cheaper than that all you're really getting is pretty much just dressed up monoprice wire.

I upgraded from a cheaper 14 gauge wire <was like 50 dollars for 250 feet> to Monster's 2 dollar a foot 12 gauge, there was 0 difference in sound quality.
PSN: Casualk1ll3r

Last edited by CasualKiller; 09-17-2008 at 01:05 PM.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:21 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Kelowna, BC
Send a message via AIM to richteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar780 View Post
I am piecing together my stereo system and I'm looking for some good speaker wire. I know everyone is going to say go to monoprice, but I'm not looking for budget wire... I'm looking for reasonably priced (no more than $100 for my 10 feet that I need) audiophile grade, 10-12 gauge speaker wire.
Hmm, to be honest, your budget is a bit constrained for a 10' pair of speaker cable. IF you can stretch the budget a bit, check out Nordost's Blue Heaven speaker cable, as well as those from Audioquest and Kimber Cable.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:06 PM   #4
Special Member

Mar 2008
Grande Prairie, Alberta

alright so my budget will have to change then lol (like i said, this is foreign ground to me lol)... where can I buy the Nordost speaker cable online??
TV: Panasonic TC-P42G10Players:250 GB PS3 Slim Receivers:Onkyo 705, 8555 Speakers:Klipsch RF-35s, RS-42s, RC-35, RW12d, Tannoy DC4Ts

"Where you hear the free exchange of ideas, I hear a thousand idiots typing 'First' as fast as they can."
"Well surely people must write other things on the internet, what do they post after 'First'?"
"Second, third and so on, until finally they grow weary of numerals, and begin to compare the topic at hand to Nazis or homosexual intercourse"

Last edited by allstar780; 09-17-2008 at 04:11 PM.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:19 PM   #5
Power Member

Apr 2008
Thumbs up

I got the pro instal wires from Audioquest. Four dollars a foot. Here is their link. And take a second to read their article on cable theory at the bottom of the home page. Love the wire. Might upgrade down the road.

http://www.audioquest.com/
Old 09-17-2008, 04:22 PM   #6

Sep 2008
Portland, OR

Quote:
alright so my budget will have to change then lol (like i said, this is foreign ground to me lol)... where can I buy the Nordost speaker cable online??
http://www.dvdcity.com/speaker/nor-blue-heaven.html
Panasonic TH42PZ80U | Sony STR-DG720 | Polk RM6750 | 120GB PS3 | Monoprice Cables | Logitech Harmony 520
Old 09-17-2008, 04:36 PM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2007
Silicon Valley

I just replaced all my speaker wires with DH Labs (www.silversonic.com). They list the prices for their products on their website. I purchaced Q-10 for the fronts and center and T14 for the surround speakers. I am so pleased with the improvement in sound after changing my speaker wire that I replaced my inter-connects, sub with BL-1 XLR cables and HDMI with DH Labs cables.

My previous speaker wires and interconnects were monster cable. There is a noticable improvement in my system both in sound and quietness when nothing is playing. My audiophile friend noticed an improvement in my system and I did not tell him that I replaced my speaker wires until after he made his comments.

I researched wire companies for a month or two and determined that DH Labs was the best bang for my dollar. I am very satisfied with my choice.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:37 PM   #8
Special Member

Mar 2008
Grande Prairie, Alberta

what about the audioquest X2 speaker cable? any benefit to it over, say monoprice?

Old 09-17-2008, 04:52 PM   #9
Expert Member

Jan 2008
Scottsdale, AZ

check out www.ultralinkcables.com Their products rock and you can get most of them for a good price off amazon.
Gear: Panasonic, Paradigm, Yamaha, Pioneer, Panamax, Marantz, and Sennheiser
Old 09-17-2008, 05:00 PM   #10
Special Member

Mar 2008
Grande Prairie, Alberta

ultralink makes crap... no offense.

at my work they often send us free HDMI and Component video cables and theyre of the same build quality as the in-store brand. I've seen 6 HDMI cables completely fail after being set up to go around a corner (i'm assuming the conductor is kinking or breaking) and its not like they are stretched unreasonably tight.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:05 PM   #11
Expert Member

Jan 2008
Scottsdale, AZ

Quote:
ultralink makes crap... no offense.

at my work they often send us free HDMI and Component video cables and theyre of the same build quality as the in-store brand. I've seen 6 HDMI cables completely fail after being set up to go around a corner (i'm assuming the conductor is kinking or breaking) and its not like they are stretched unreasonably tight.
I have no experience with their video cables so i wouldn't know . But the speaker wire I have from them is A+ quality. Its 12 gauge prebuilt with banana plugs for around $30. And its build quality leaves nothing to be desired. Maybe you've just had some bad experience
Gear: Panasonic, Paradigm, Yamaha, Pioneer, Panamax, Marantz, and Sennheiser
Old 09-17-2008, 05:50 PM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2007
Abiit, excessit, evasit, erupit

Here's an affordable, high-quality cable and I use these with my ML's.
http://signalcable.com/speaker_cables.html

Various configurations, copper or silver. Frank's a pleasure to talk to.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood

Martin Logan/Modwright Instruments/Rogue Audio/Vacuum Tube Logic/Denon/Sony/Panasonic/RealTraps/ASC
Old 09-17-2008, 10:40 PM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2007
PDX

It will be hard to find decent 10' runs for $100. My XLO Electric cables, which are 8' long (I think) retailed for around $1,000 a pair.

One place I would highly suggest checking out is UsedCable.com, which is basically the Audiogon of the audiophile cable world. They carry pre-owned speaker cables, interconnects, subwoofer cables, etc., and the prices are heavily discounted from new. You might find some really good cables that fall within your $100 budget.

Here's the link:

http://www.usedcable.com/index.html
Sony Grand Wega SXRD KDS 50-A2000 1080p
Yamaha HTR-6080 7.1 Ch Natural Sound Receiver
Sony PS3 120 GB (Now 320 GB) / Yamaha DVD-S2500 SACD Player
Monster Reference Power Conditioner 3500 Mk II
Aurasound LSM-828M Standmounters, LSC-537M Centers F & R, LSB-527M SL & SR, all w/Line Source ribbon tweeters / Realistic Super Tweeters
XLO Electric Reference Speaker Cables
Miller & Kriesel MX-125 Mk. II & MX-70B Subwoofers
Old 09-17-2008, 11:28 PM   #14

Mar 2008
Los Ageles, Ca

people what type of gauge size speaker wire should i use for my klipsch rf-82's?
money is not an issue! and what type of plugs?
Sony kdl46w3000
80GB Sony PlayStation 3
60gb Sony PlayStation 3
Klipsch IV RF-82's L/R
TWC HD dvr
Onkyo 805
Old 09-17-2008, 11:39 PM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Kelowna, BC
Send a message via AIM to richteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENSE View Post
people what type of gauge size speaker wire should i use for my klipsch rf-82's?
The gauge of a cable has nothing to do with its sound quality! You say that money is not an issue, so I highly recommend Nordost Odin or Tara Labs Zero.

If, having investigated those cables, you decide that money is an issue after all, the other recommendations in this thread apply. :-)
Old 09-18-2008, 11:56 PM   #16
Special Member

Mar 2008
Grande Prairie, Alberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENSE View Post
must you jack every thread? if you are looking at just wire and not speaker cable, I am currently running 10 gauge copper wire with banana plugs on the ends to my 35s

Old 09-19-2008, 12:16 AM   #17

Apr 2007

Blue Jeans cable all the way.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/index.htm

I've never seen better cables. They explain in detail why there cables are good, and give good comparisons between the different types of cables they have without the marketing BS. I put there cables against any other cable on the market, and I guarantee they are better, or equal to anything else out there.

+ they are very reasonably priced. They don't screw you, and try to make a zillion percent profit, like all the other companies listed on this thread will do.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:29 AM   #18
Special Member

Jul 2007
Singapore

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwedge1 View Post
Blue Jeans cable all the way.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/index.htm

I've never seen better cables. They explain in detail why there cables are good, and give good comparisons between the different types of cables they have without the marketing BS. I put there cables against any other cable on the market, and I guarantee they are better, or equal to anything else out there.

+ they are very reasonably priced. They don't screw you, and try to make a zillion percent profit, like all the other companies listed on this thread will do.
I've don't have any experience with their cables but after reading the response the CEO wrote back to Monster after they had threatened to sue Blue Jeans Cable, I have a lot of respect for him and the company.

The CEO is a former lawyer/litigator, so he didn't take Monster's threat by just caving in. I believe Monster quietly dropped the matter as I have not heard they ever followed up after they received his response.

As far as cable suggestions, well, keep it within reason. I wouldn't make your cables cost 50% of the speaker cost. BlueJean/Monoprice both make quite good products from what I have read.
Panasonic AE7000, Oppo BDP 95, Wyred 4 Sound ST500 amp Wyred4Sound Preamp with HT Bypass
Denon 4311 used a processor, Gallo Acoustic Reference 3.5 (R&L), Ref Center channel, Gallo D'iva Surround, Velodyne Ultra 1200 Sub, Logitech Squeezebox, Eastern Electric MiniMax Plus DAC
Old 09-19-2008, 01:39 AM   #19
Power Member

Sep 2007
Indianapolis

Quote:
what about the audioquest X2 speaker cable? any benefit to it over, say monoprice?
That's what I use, and I like it. Can't really compare to other brands, as it was the first/only speaker cable I bought (assuming you don't count the initial 4.99 cable I bought at best buy, which was an obvious upgrade). I'd hit up www.audioadvisor.com as well, they sell audioquest and some other more expensive brands. I think if I were to upgrade my interconnects (which I will do eventually), I'd probably go with the company RUR linked. Seems like a good deal.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:44 AM   #20
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Miami, FL
Send a message via AIM to JJ Send a message via Yahoo to JJ Send a message via Skype™ to JJ

I've got to stop getting upgrade-itis, lest of all for cables. I'm running 14AWG monoprice wire/banana plugs/subwoofer coax - and for some reason, I sincerely think I would not hear any visible improvement unless I went above and beyond any sort of price guidelines I can imagine being feasible.

And by visible I mean audible. Dammit, Intamin!
- Orbis non Sufficit
================

Sonus Faber Venere - Epik Empire
Panasonic 65ZT60 - Emotiva XPA-3
Pioneer Elite VSX-03 - Pioneer Elite DV-48 - Sony S790

Last edited by JJ; 09-19-2008 at 01:48 AM. Reason: I'm le tired.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers