Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Fairy Tail: Part 12 (Blu-ray)
$31.69
The Flintstones (Blu-ray)
$8.99
A.I. Artificial Intelligence (Blu-ray)
$7.88
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
The Bubble 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Magic in the Moonlight (Blu-ray)
$22.79
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Tommy Boy (Blu-ray)
$4.88
Kingpin (Blu-ray)
$14.39
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 03-06-2007, 11:35 AM   #1
Expert Member

Dec 2006
Atlanta, GA
Default DREAMGIRLS on Blu-ray

Dreamworks just announced their first Blu-ray title, DREAMGIRLS which will be released on May 1.

Price is $39.95 with no extras announced yet.

Hopefully, this will be the first of many Dreamworks titles we will be able to purchase.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:15 PM   #2

Oct 2006

Here's the full release:

Quote:
Paramount Home Entertainment Presents the Critically-Acclaimed Smash Hit and Winner of Two Academy Awards®: DREAMGIRLS Two-Disc Showstopper Edition

Cinematic Sensation Debuts as a Two-Disc DVD, Blu-ray and HD DVD May 1, 2007, Featuring Never Before Seen Extended Musical Numbers, Including an Exclusive Performance by Oscar® Winner Jennifer Hudson, a Feature-Length Documentary, Cast Screen Tests and Auditions and Much More

HOLLYWOOD--“A triumph of old school on-screen glamour” (Kenneth Turan, Los Angeles Times) and winner of two Academy Awards® and three Golden Globe® awards, including Best Motion Picture — Musical or Comedy, DREAMGIRLS takes to the stage on DVD, Blu-ray and HD DVD May 1, 2007 from Paramount Home Entertainment. Oscar®-winning(a) director Bill Condon’s (Chicago) sensational adaptation of Michael Bennett’s Broadway musical “dazzles like nothing else anywhere” (Peter Travers, Rolling Stone) and boasts phenomenal performances from a stellar cast in a rich and vivid tale of fame, fortune and the sacrifices they demand. The film stars Academy Award-winner(b) Jamie Foxx, Grammy® award-winner Beyoncé Knowles, as well as Golden Globe winner(c) Eddie Murphy and newcomer Jennifer Hudson in a role that won her an Oscar and Golden Globe for Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role.

The DREAMGIRLS Showstopper Edition two-disc DVD, Blu-ray and HD DVD presentations feature a wealth of thrilling bonus material with 12 extended and alternate scenes, including a DVD-exclusive, never-before-seen performance by Jennifer Hudson of “Effie Sing My Song,” a feature-length documentary entitled “Building the Dream” presented in nine chapters, behind-the-scenes featurettes on the costume design, editing and lighting of the film, cast member auditions and screen tests, previsualization sequences and more.

DREAMGIRLS also will be available as a single disc DVD that features 12 extended and alternate scenes, including the Jennifer Hudson performance and a music video directed by Bill Condon for Beyoncé’s Oscar-nominated song “Listen.”

Synopsis

With showstopping performances by a star-studded cast, DREAMGIRLS is the amazing story of three female singers who learn that anything is possible when you hold on to your dreams.

Grammy-winner Beyoncé Knowles (Deena), Academy Award-winner Jamie Foxx (Curtis) and Golden Globe-winner Eddie Murphy (James “Thunder” Early) shine in unforgettable roles that display their matchless talents. And Jennifer Hudson (Effie) is a revelation in the breakthrough performance that earned her the 2007 Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress. Based on the Tony Award®-winning Broadway hit and directed by Academy Award-winner Bill Condon (screenwriter of Chicago), the Oscar-winning DREAMGIRLS is a triumph of movie entertainment that will dazzle you again and again.

Showstopper Edition DVD, Blu-ray and HD DVD

The DREAMGIRLS Showstopper Edition DVD and single disc DVD will be presented in widescreen enhanced for 16:9 TVs (single disc also available in full screen) with Dolby Digital English 5.1 Surround, English 2.0 Surround and French 5.1 Surround with English and Spanish subtitles. The two-disc HD DVD and Blu-ray presentations will each be 1080p High Definition with English, French and Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus and English, English SDH+, French and Spanish subtitles.

The single disc DVD includes the extended and alternate scenes listed in disc one as well as the “Listen” music video in standard definition. The Showstopper Edition two-disc sets include the following special features:

Disc One:

-- Extended and Alternate Scenes:

-- Effie, Sing My Song (HD) -- Never-before-seen performance by Jennifer Hudson
-- I'm Looking For Something (HD)
-- Goin' Down (HD)
-- Takin' The Long Way Home (HD)
-- Fake Your Way To The Top (HD)
-- Steppin' To The Bad Side (HD)
-- Heavy (HD)
-- I'm Somebody (HD)
-- I Am Changing (HD)
-- Perfect World (HD)
-- One Night Only (HD)
-- One Night Only -- Disco Version (HD)

-- Music Video "Listen" by Beyonce Knowles

Disc Two:

-- Building The Dream -- Feature-length documentary in nine chapter (HD):

-- On Broadway (HD)
-- The Dream Is Alive (HD)
-- I'm Lookin' For Something (HD)
-- Feel So Real (HD)
-- You Better Move, Move... (HD)
-- The Sound Of Tomorrow (HD)
-- Gonna Take A Mean Ride: A Side (HD)
-- Gonna Take A Mean Ride: B Side (HD)
-- One Night Only (HD)

-- Dream Logic: Film Editing (HD)

-- Dressing The Dreams: Costume Design (HD)

-- Center Stage: Theatrical Lighting (HD)

-- Auditions and Screen Tests:

-- Dreamgirls -- Beyonce Knowles screen test (HD)
-- Ain't No Party -- Anika Noni Rose audition
-- Steppin' To The Bad Side -- Fatima Robinson choreography audition

-- Previsualization Sequences:

-- The Talent Show
-- Fake Your Way To The Top
-- Cadillac Car
-- Steppin' To The Bad Side
-- I Want You Baby
-- Heavy
-- Hard To Say Goodbye

-- Image Gallery with over 1,100 images (Showstopper Edition DVD only):

-- Storyboards
-- Costume Designs
-- Production Designs
-- Art Department Archive

About Paramount Home Entertainment

Paramount Home Entertainment is part of Paramount Pictures Corporation, a unit of Viacom (NYSE:VIA) (NYSE:VIA.B), a global entertainment company that produces and distributes filmed entertainment through the Paramount Motion Picture Group. PHE is responsible for the worldwide sales, marketing and distribution of home entertainment, including: Paramount Pictures, DreamWorks SKG, Paramount Vantage, Paramount Classics, Nickelodeon, MTV, Comedy Central, CBS, PBS and Hasbro and home entertainment fulfillment services for DreamWorks Animation Home Entertainment.

DREAMGIRLS

Street Date: May 1, 2007
Pricing: $19.99 U.S. M.A.P. (Single disc)
$39.99 U.S./$49.99 Canada (Blu-ray/HD DVD)
Runtime: 131 minutes
U.S. Rating: PG for language, some sexuality and drug content
Canadian Rating: PG

(a) Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material from Another Medium, Gods And Monsters, 1999

(b) Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role, Ray, 2004

(c) Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role, Dreamgirls, 2007
Old 03-06-2007, 03:19 PM   #3
Power Member

Jan 2007
USA,Arizona PSNetwork: Amon37

There is no way I'll be spending 40.00 on a movie that is just a little to big for my britches
Sony 50' SXRD KDS-50A2000
Denon AVR-887
HT-S790 HTIB Speakers
80GB MGS PS3
XBOX 360 Elite
Wii

Last edited by Amon37; 03-06-2007 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:21 PM   #4

Sep 2006
Hudson, MA
Send a message via ICQ to Chris Beveridge Send a message via AIM to Chris Beveridge Send a message via MSN to Chris Beveridge Send a message via Yahoo to Chris Beveridge Send a message via Skype™ to Chris Beveridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amon37 View Post
There is no way I'll be spending 40.00 on a movie.
Meh. Most people won't either but that's just MSRP. With the discount most places will apply to it, the pricing comes out to the same or less than two people going out to see it in the theaters in the evening with a bucket of popcorn.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:23 PM   #5
Power Member

Jan 2007
USA,Arizona PSNetwork: Amon37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Beveridge View Post
Meh. Most people won't either but that's just MSRP. With the discount most places will apply to it, the pricing comes out to the same or less than two people going out to see it in the theaters in the evening with a bucket of popcorn.
True. I didn't know if we were talking street price or not. I guess should edit my post to say I'm not willing to spend 40.00 on this movie.

Chances are I would spend 40.00 on a movie if it was the right one.
Sony 50' SXRD KDS-50A2000
Denon AVR-887
HT-S790 HTIB Speakers
80GB MGS PS3
XBOX 360 Elite
Wii
Old 03-06-2007, 03:33 PM   #6
Special Member

Jun 2006

Paramount needs to get with the program and deliver us some LPCM goodness. Does anyone know if the discs are actually pressed this early? Is there time to still make an attempt to lobby Paramount and get LPCM? Warner listened... a little, maybe we can make Paramount hear us too?
Blu-ray Disc Collection- I don't think I can count that high...

Main Viewing Space: Samsung LN52a750/Denon AVR-2309/Polk TSi400/Polk CS10/Polk TSi100/Polk RM85/Polk PSW125/Sony BDP-S350/PS3/XBOX 360/Wii

Secondary Viewing Space: Samsung UN46C5000/Denon AVR-2307/Polk RM6750/BDP-S350

My Home Theater Gallery Thread
Old 03-06-2007, 05:10 PM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2007
Silicon Valley

Unfortunately this movie is the one that I would want least from Dreamworks. Hopefully others do not feel the same way that I do about Dream Girls. Rather, I hope they sell a ton so that Dreamworks releases more desirable titles on Blu-ray. Well at least I hope they sell more Blu-ray units than HD DVD so we can prove our point.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:02 AM   #8
Power Member

Dec 2006
Middle East,Lebanon
Default Dreamgirls (Blu-ray) 5/5 for PQ on Highdefdigest

Unbelievable ,Peter Bracke finally gives 5/5 for PQ after MI3 for an MPEG2 title

I'm waiting for you CHAD to compare BD to HD-DVD and i'm sure MPEG2 decoding done by Dreamworks is far better than HD-DVD counterpart

Another title which i'm going to buy it

GORGEOUS another Demo Material for BD

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/dreamgirls.html

Last edited by Scorxpion; 04-25-2007 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:37 AM   #9

Jan 2007

How can they release a film that resolves around music...in DD 640!!???
Honestly, I have a hard time understanding how that decision came into play.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:21 AM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2006
Switzerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by degas View Post
How can they release a film that resolves around music...in DD 640!!???
Honestly, I have a hard time understanding how that decision came into play.
Indeed. First Warner, now Dreamworks. What is up with those studios
Old 04-25-2007, 02:59 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2006
Atlanta, Georgia

IMO, I think they are just being cheap. I think they are minimizing their costs to produce HD discs by not paying for the TrueHD tools necessary to do high quality audio for both sides.

I hope Dreamworks doesn't start (or should I say continue) shafting BDs on the audio side like Warner.
My Blu-ray/DVD Collection
PS3 Games: 34 + 20 PSN games
Sony PS3 60/160GB and 40GB
Sony KDSR70XBR2 HDTV
Sony STRDA5200ES 1080p Upconverting A/V Receiver

Last edited by Ascended_Saiyan; 04-25-2007 at 03:04 PM.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:27 PM   #12
Power Member

Oct 2006

I would have liked to have seen an AVC encode for this disc. MPEG2 is starting to wear on me. I see its deficiencies more and more, but hopefully this title gives it the room it needs to breathe.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:29 PM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2006
Switzerland

Just out of curiosity: what deficiencies have you seen on recent MPEG2 encodings?
Old 04-25-2007, 07:33 PM   #14
Sound Insider/M.P.S.E.

Dec 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDJK View Post
Just out of curiosity: what deficiencies have you seen on recent MPEG2 encodings?
I am willing to bet these deficiencies are internet based rehashed I hate MPEG-2 flash points that have no basis in reality or fact. VC-1 also has deficiencies, but because its new everyone believes its the best thing since ovaltine came on the market.

VC-1= "its new, so it must be better"
MPEG= "its old, so it must be inferior"

This kind of thought process has flooded the internet since HD on disc was introduced. It takes no brain to repeat over and over what you read on the internet. I guess doing so makes you seem educated on the subject matter........or not.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:38 PM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2007
Silicon Valley

I was on the fence with respect to buying this title. However, because of the insult of not adding a proper audio track this will end up in my Netflix queue.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:47 PM   #16
Power Member

Oct 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Terrence View Post
I am willing to bet these deficiencies are internet based rehashed I hate MPEG-2 flash points that have no basis in reality or fact. VC-1 also has deficiencies, but because its new everyone believes its the best thing since ovaltine came on the market.

This kind of thought process has flooded the internet since HD on disc was introduced. It takes no brain to repeat over and over what you read on the internet. I guess doing so makes you seem educated on the subject matter........or not.
Terrence, maybe you should hang around here a bit longer before you start posting inane comments. I watched Night at the Museum last night, and was appalled at the blocking during transitions. Given enough space, MPEG2 can look great, but I will continue to feel that AVC is the best, with VC-1 being second, even though I also believe that VC-1 is not so great when it is bit starved. AVC is the most filmlike to my eyes.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:49 PM   #17

Oct 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by sltmag View Post
Terrence, maybe you should hang around here a bit longer before you start posting inane comments. I watched Night at the Museum last night, and was appalled at the blocking during transitions. Given enough space, MPEG2 can look great, but I will continue to feel that AVC is the best, with VC-1 being second, even though I also believe that VC-1 is not so great when it is bit starved. AVC is the most filmlike to my eyes.
I totally agree with all of your comments. AVC would be 1st, VC-1 second & MPEG-2 third.

I, like you can see the difference on all 3 encodes. I think Sony can also. That's why they went to BD-50s with AVC encoding. MPEG-2 on a BD-25 = yuuuuck!

Sir Terrence since you work for Disney & they are using AVC or VC1 why would you think MPEG-2 is a good encoding? Disney as far as I know doesn't even consider MPEG-2 encoding on their titles.

Also do you know what happened to Disney's 6/5 releases "Cars, Con Air, The Rock & Crimson Tide?"

I've been looking to purchase the titles but the retailers say they have no UPC codes to pre-order the titles for customers & I can't find any info anywhere to buy them. I thought you might have some insider info as to whether they are going to be released or not.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:58 AM   #18
Power Member

Dec 2006
Middle East,Lebanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Terrence View Post

I dont agree with you MPEG2 is better than VC-1 done only for HD-DVD.A real example of this is Crank,Black hawk dawn,KOH,MI3 (which looks and have slight edge over HD-DVD version dont try to convince other than that)..
MPEG2 higher bit rate at 40mbs does look identical or better than VC-1.

now the quote from Hometheaterspot :
"This MPEG-2 encoded 1080p transfer definitely falls into the reference category. The print itself is in flawless shape, as it should be with such a new release, but never has a “processed” look to it at all. Film grain is evident at times giving the production a very film like look. Black levels are where this film shines though, which are inky black with phenomenal shadow detail and great dimensionality. Detail is also outstanding in both the long and close-up shots, with nary a soft spot in the film. Not to be outdone though are the colors, which simply pop off the screen with some very saturated reds and blues, especially in the costume "

Link :http://www.hometheaterspot.com/fusio...hp?tid/136919/
Old 04-26-2007, 12:22 PM   #19
Power Member

Mar 2007
Toronto, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorxpion View Post
I dont agree with you MPEG2 is better than VC-1 done only for HD-DVD.A real example of this is Crank,Black hawk dawn,KOH,MI3 (which looks and have slight edge over HD-DVD version dont try to convince other than that)..
MPEG2 higher bit rate at 40mbs does look identical or better than VC-1.

now the quote from Hometheaterspot :
"This MPEG-2 encoded 1080p transfer definitely falls into the reference category. The print itself is in flawless shape, as it should be with such a new release, but never has a “processed” look to it at all. Film grain is evident at times giving the production a very film like look. Black levels are where this film shines though, which are inky black with phenomenal shadow detail and great dimensionality. Detail is also outstanding in both the long and close-up shots, with nary a soft spot in the film. Not to be outdone though are the colors, which simply pop off the screen with some very saturated reds and blues, especially in the costume "

Link :http://www.hometheaterspot.com/fusio...hp?tid/136919/
I agree, a VC-1 bit starved (read HD DVD encode) is not better than an MPEG 2 encode...
Old 04-26-2007, 02:57 PM   #20
Power Member

Oct 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixS2000 View Post
I agree, a VC-1 bit starved (read HD DVD encode) is not better than an MPEG 2 encode...
I would even go so far to say that I prefer a bit starved VC-1 encode, over a bit starved MPEG2 encode. We've had bit starved MPEG2 since DVD and the results ain't pretty.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America