COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$54.96
Poirot: The Complete Cases Collection (Blu-ray)
$198.49
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Dexter: The Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Orange Is the New Black: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Ray Donovan: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.49
Uta no Prince-sama 2000%: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$37.28
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Sleepaway Camp (Blu-ray)
$15.99
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Destroy All Monsters (Blu-ray)
$12.74
Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (Blu-ray)
$24.99
D-Day Remembered (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Hawaii Five-0: The Third Season (Blu-ray)
$23.24
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Titanic 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Old 09-27-2008, 09:35 AM   #1

Sep 2008
Default U-Control blu-rays

Has anyone else got any blu-rays with the U-control feature on them? For example - Heroes. I have to say, I don't really like the feature. I'd rather that you could just go to the extras that you want via a menu, like on dvd, rather than having to sit through an episode again with the u-control thingy switched on to access pip and artwork or whatever.

Maybe it's just me, maybe other people don't watch the episodes as broadcast, and watch with the pip on, but personally I'd rather they kept the extras seperate.

Ho hum... just my 2p worth...

Dave
Old 09-27-2008, 01:24 PM   #2
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008

Oh I agree, I'd rather have the extras seperately, but watcha gonna do?
Old 09-27-2008, 01:43 PM   #3

Sep 2008
Default bonusview prompt...

anyone know how to remove this feature from the screen during playback?? i have several movies with this feature and i cant seem to get it off the screen when watching the movie.. upper left corner, really distracting, appreciate the help...
Old 09-27-2008, 03:43 PM   #4
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008

On the PS3 remote, it's the red button. Not sure about standalone players.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:27 AM   #5

Feb 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitdog24 View Post
anyone know how to remove this feature from the screen during playback?? i have several movies with this feature and i cant seem to get it off the screen when watching the movie.. upper left corner, really distracting, appreciate the help...
Upper left? The U-Control icon is on the bottom-right.

What exactly do you see?
Old 09-28-2008, 11:36 AM   #6

Jun 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2099net View Post
Upper left? The U-Control icon is on the bottom-right.

What exactly do you see?
There is no standard placement for the icon. I have seen it in all four corners depending on what movie. One movie has it in the upper left... one has it in the lower right, and so on.

I really do not really see a need for the icon. If you see a PIP box with people talking it is a fair bet you have U-Control turned on.
Old 09-28-2008, 02:57 PM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2008
Milwaukee, WI

U-Control = Universal. All Universal movies currently have that setup and I doubt it'll change anytime soon.

Personally, extras aren't big to me, and I like the setup. If it allows them to continue churning out what I perceive to be quality releases.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:06 PM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2008
Brisbane, Australia
Thumbs down

I'm so sick of this sort of junk on Blu Rays. I just want to watch the docos. I don't want to have to sit thru the entir feature again and have to wait and have it interrupded by obnoxious popups you have to respond to. I now have extras I want to see but they are just too much trouble. I had the same on Doomsday.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:03 PM   #9

Aug 2008

I agree 100%, I don't want to sit through a movie all over again just to figure out what special features happen to appear on the screen.

Give me a seperate, seamless menu that I can access after watching the movie.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:13 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008

Seriously, splitting up great supplements like "The Terror Takes Shape" documentary from the original "The Thing" release is inexcusable. Just present the material as an extra, this U-Control nonsense stinks. Especially for early adopters with profile 1.0 players who can't fully access PIP tracks.

Is it that hard to include it in the extras menu as a standalone feature?
Old 09-29-2008, 09:23 PM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2008
Brisbane, Australia
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by benricci View Post
Seriously, splitting up great supplements like "The Terror Takes Shape" documentary from the original "The Thing" release is inexcusable. Just present the material as an extra, this U-Control nonsense stinks. Especially for early adopters with profile 1.0 players who can't fully access PIP tracks.

Is it that hard to include it in the extras menu as a standalone feature?
No, it isn't too hard. But they are like idiot children with a bunch of new toys and they are going crazy. Actually the blu rays are like that car Homer Simpson designed.

I mean FFS they are now giving instruction manuals with these blu rays on how to use it. I'm an IT developer and it is too annoying for me. They forgot the KISS principle (keep it simple stupid).

Last edited by Mobe1969; 09-29-2008 at 10:07 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:27 PM   #12

Apr 2007

I googled "U-control" and "annoying" and this thread came up. I wish there was a way to watch the extra features without using this feature...
Old 11-29-2009, 10:24 PM   #13
Expert Member

Apr 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by aperock View Post
I googled "U-control" and "annoying" and this thread came up. I wish there was a way to watch the extra features without using this feature...
I agree. I'm not a fan. Would rather view the special features seperately instead having to watch the movie all over again.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:57 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by aperock View Post
U-Control is a copyright of Universal Studios Home Entertainment but its just a fancy way of saying BonusView.

Fox's Young Frankenstein has a BonusView 1.1 track but for 1.0 players, you can watch these features seperately if you wish as one long form documentary.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:55 AM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
New York

I really wish they would have an option to play the features along with the film. I don't understand why this was never implemented in the original design of U-Control. What doesn't Universal understand about this?
Better Blu than Red.
73 Blus in my collection
Last Watched: The Pacific - Parts 2,3,4 and 5 and The Social Network
Last Bought/Received: The Social Network
Last Ordered: The Social Network
Player: Sony PS3 40GB
Home Theater: Sony HT-DDWG700
Old 11-30-2009, 04:06 AM   #16
The Digital Bits

Jul 2008

You can play them with the film. The red button will turn it on and off
Old 11-30-2009, 06:54 AM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfskf View Post
Even google knows about this forum, I am sure there is a way to watch, I just don't know how.
The only way is if the BD producers made those features accessible from the menu. Universal's U-Control enabled tracks are Profile 1.1 compatible only and as such only play during the film.

Fox has been including, on some releases, the PiP content as a seperate supplement for compatibility with Profile 1.0 players.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:57 AM   #18
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2007
Sacramento, CA

Totally agree. I do not like U-control at all. I ike the pop up tracks but they should do 2 things IMO: keep it full, I don't want to have 10 minutes of movie between each video; and make the extras available outside this feature.
Wolverine: I'm the best at what I do.
Deadpool: And now I'm better at doing whatever it is Wolverine does!

"In my youth I courted war." -Thor
Old 07-25-2013, 03:32 AM   #19

May 2013
Canada
Send a message via Skype™ to thedalensnow
Default Dawn of the Dead (2004)

i actually quite enjoyed the ones on this bluray! but only if you wanted to pay attenton and follow along
Old 07-25-2013, 04:31 AM   #20
Power Member

May 2011

It's a cool feature. The only problem is that I don't think they've used it a single time for something that was exclusively created for such a feature. They just chopped up older extras and put them into this feature. The one for Scarface was nice because most of its material wasn't in the other extras, but it still wasn't created for the U-control feature.

I also loved the Stand By Me video commentary which wasn't technically a U-control feature but it was a PiP feature that lasted through the entire movie.
"I couldn't think of a more horrible job if I wanted to. And you have to do it. You have to!"
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America