Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Gravity (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Smokey and the Bandit (Blu-ray)
$9.96
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Gremlins (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Goonies (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Blu-ray)
$10.99
Robin Hood (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Reality Bites (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Weird Science (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Pacific Rim 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Despicable Me 2 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Despicable Me 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray.com > Newbie Discussion

Old 10-11-2008, 03:50 AM   #1

Oct 2008
Question Do Blu-ray systems play dvds? YES

Many of the systems say dvd/cd under media so I am assuming there are no problems playing them on Blu-ray systems? This would be great cause if they don't I would not be buying any Blu-ray movies only renting. If you guys could let me know from your experience that would be great. Thanks.
Old 10-11-2008, 03:55 AM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008
Tampa Bay, Florida

Of course they do. Most players even upscale DVD content.
My recommended setup for Home Theater Virgins:

Speakers: Polk Monitor 50's, Polk Monitor 40's, Polk CS2 Center, and eD subwoofer or
HTIB: Polk 5.1 system and
Receiver: Non-Network Onkyo TX-SR608 or Onkyo HT-RC180 Network Receiver
Monoprice-For all your cable needs...

Personal Setup + Subwoofer
Old 10-11-2008, 04:35 AM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2006
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Send a message via Yahoo to WriteSimply Send a message via Skype™ to WriteSimply

ALL BD players play DVDs. Very few first generation models do not play CDs due to the OPU but you won't be able to get them at retail now and you won't want to anyway. We are at 3rd and 4th gen models, I think.

fuad
Old 10-16-2008, 11:50 PM   #4

Aug 2008
Arizona
Default Upconvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxmycarnivalxxx View Post
Many of the systems say dvd/cd under media so I am assuming there are no problems playing them on Blu-ray systems? This would be great cause if they don't I would not be buying any Blu-ray movies only renting. If you guys could let me know from your experience that would be great. Thanks.
Blu ray players will upconvert ordinary DVD's. Actually makes them look better.
LIFE's GOOD!
Old 10-17-2008, 03:23 AM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
the guy on the couch

blu-ray players ability to upconvert or make your dvd's look better, varies greatly system to system, if dvd quality is an important feature to you look into this before choosing a model, i have the panasonic bd-30 and it makes my dvd's look absolutely horrible, my sony s300 does a far better job with dvd's and from my understanding is still ranked pretty low as far as dvd playback is concerned, but for now and after seeing my panny doing the job, its good enough for me. i personally am saving for a separate dvd upconvertor, but i also am a perfectionist when it comes to my tv, currently looking at the oppo line. plus not having cable i don't like having to run dvd's and blu's all on the same unit.
Aggressive MiniHorse

Xbox Tag: KrazeyEyez
Old 10-17-2008, 05:34 AM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2008
New Orleans

What's a DVD? Okay, just kidding, I've not had any problems with any DVDs in my PS3. My son watches a lot of cartoons that haven't made it over to Blu yet (Zim the Invader, Spongebob, iCarly, etc.) so it gets a lot of a work out on DVDs.
Panasonic 56LCZ70
Onkyo 605
2xPolk TSi-400 bi-amped
2xPolk Monitor 50
Polk CS2
Hsu Research VTF-2
Old 03-06-2012, 02:05 AM   #7

Mar 2012

Funny. I was googling this same question and bumped into this old thread.
I just spoke to this strange guy at JB Hifi. He said that Blu Ray players play only Blu Rays. You need to have a Blu Ray/DVD combo if you want to play both and they are very expensive.
Here I am thinking all Blu ray players play DVD's and some can even be made region free for DVD's.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:22 AM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischief View Post
I just spoke to this strange guy at JB Hifi. He said that Blu Ray players play only Blu Rays. You need to have a Blu Ray/DVD combo if you want to play both and they are very expensive.
Here I am thinking all Blu ray players play DVD's and some can even be made region free for DVD's.
The guy at JB Hi Fi is wrong, so please don't listen to his advice. All blu-ray players will play dvd's from the region the player was bought in, and yes some blu-ray players can be made region free for both dvd and blu-ray playback.
Setup:
Panasonic th-p65vt60a tv, Sony str-da5300es avr/pre-amp, Emotiva xpa-2 & xpa-5 amps, Dali Concept: 10 (fronts) 2 (rears) & centre speakers, 2x SVS pb13-ultra subwoofers, Oppo bdp-105 blu-ray player (region free), Onkyo c-s5vl sacd player, Panasonic dmr-bwt835 1tb hdd/blu-ray recorder, Xbox One & 360 250gb s, PS4 & PS3 60gb, Cyron lighting & htw1000 controller, Samsung s2 1tb hdd, SurgeX sx1210rli x3, Logitech Harmony 1100i remote

Last edited by Cevolution; 03-06-2012 at 06:30 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:25 AM   #9
Power Member

Apr 2010
Out There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischief View Post
Please don't tell me he was a staff member
Old 03-06-2012, 11:23 PM   #10
Site Manager

Aug 2006
USiberia

Not only that, they also play CDs. Amazing.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:40 PM   #11
Special Member

Mar 2007
Connecticut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deciazulado View Post
Not only that, they also play CDs. Amazing.
I miss the early days of DVD when I had a game console or two, a cassette recorder, VCR, Laserdisc, CD and some place to put in the new DVD player, and at the same time, wondered what to do with the dusty old real-to-real tapes. Enter PS3.
Good PQ: HDMI > Component > S-video > Composite > Analogue RF; Screen Size + Viwing Distance + Source
Life is a unity of opposites - Craig
Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value: zero - Voltaire
You can never live your life to it's fullest by living according to someone else's definition of succes - Mark Fritz
The fastest way to be ignored by anyone is to start talking about something they don't care about - Josh Kaufman
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray.com > Newbie Discussion