Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Quantum Leap: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$48.78
The Big O: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$45.99
The Lawnmower Man (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Mobile Suit Gundam 08th MS Team: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$37.39
La La Land 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Silence (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Planet Earth II 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Manchester by the Sea (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Sicario 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Red Turtle (Blu-ray)
$20.99
Donnie Darko (Blu-ray)
$28.92
Assassin's Creed 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 10-19-2008, 02:08 AM   #21

Jan 2008
Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
Ricwhite, I know how screencaps work , what I meant for the topic poster, is that he can use a camera since its not bad at all comparing to screencaps.

but help we out on something - I agree a capture is 100% accurate, and you say the digicam photo is 90% true to what you see.. I looked at both pics and the top one looks like a dvd compared to the bottom, so even at 90% what you see is in fact closer to the bottom one... or am I wrong?

Yes, Image two is close to what I see on the my screen. I prefer a little brighter image and so I calibrate my Epson 1080UB projector as such. I'm also using a DaLite High Power screen which increases brightness. If I were to calibrate it totally "accurately", I would have to really reduce the brightness down to the point where it would look close to image one -- which is close to the way it's "supposed" to look.

I have never been one to totally stick with "perfect" calibration. Some people spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars to calibrate everything to what the experts say is "perfect." But perfect for me is what I like to see on my screen. That's one of the reasons why I sometimes prefer my screenshots to the pure computer image captures -- which often appear a little dull and lifeless to me.

Here's a link to my latest movie screenshots of the Sixth Sense. These are about 90% accurate to what I"m seeing on the screen. The actual screen images are a little better than these photos can depict. Also remember that these are photographs of images on an 8 foot screen.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=887
Old 10-19-2008, 06:34 AM   #22
Blu-ray Legend

Mar 2008
Austin, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricwhite View Post
Just a question, though. When you dump all those I-frames of a movie file (maybe 10,000 of them) doesn't all of that processing just bind up your computer? Doesn't it take a lot of processing time? Also, I would imagine going through 10,000 images to select 15 or so can take a while.
It can take several hours to generate them this way, but in the end I personally find it quicker to sort through the images rather than seeking through the video. I just run it in the background and it doesn't bog my computer down (although admittedly my comp. is fairly a powerful 8-core 3Ghz Xeon Mac Pro).

The mplayer software can also be used to take screenshots in a more traditional manner by running it with the screenshot video filter:
Code:
mplayer -vf screenshot X:\BDMV\STREAM\00000.m2ts
This allows for the 's' key to dump the current frame displayed in the video window and shift-S can be used to toggle on/off a continuous frame dump.

Upon reflection, I guess my workflow is not quite as simple as I initially stated. However, there's probably someone out there with an even more convoluted methodology...
Old 11-22-2008, 01:51 AM   #23

Nov 2008
Default Thank you thank you thank you

Holy moly, squid, I can hardly thank you enough for the common-sense advice you dispensed in this thread. As I type this, my just-downloaded copy of mplayer is chugging away in the background, happily saving about a gazillion I-frames from my last-viewed Blu-ray movie to my C: drive. Yes, it's a bit of an elephant-gun approach, but trying to play Blu-ray back in real time with an application that doesn't disable frame grabs drops my computer (and me, by extension) to its knees, weeping.

The better solution, arguably, is to disable hardware acceleration, set your monitor's resolution to at least 1920x1080, and then use "Print Screen" and paste the images into Photoshop. I've done that -- and I like it, because you get exactly the frame you want rather than just the nearest I-frame -- but lately my display drivers have been pitching a fit when I turn off acceleration and I have to uninstall and reinstall just to get my desktop working again. Oy.

Quick question, if you're still reading. If I were to substitute a higher number, say 7, for the PNG compression variable in that Mplayer command line, does that increase the quality of the file, or does it increase the compression? Also, using your value of "5", do you notice any difference in image quality between the compressed images and direct playback from the disc? Just curious.

Anyway, you really made my day. Thanks again.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:12 PM   #24

Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Squid View Post
It can take several hours to generate them this way, but in the end I personally find it quicker to sort through the images rather than seeking through the video. I just run it in the background and it doesn't bog my computer down (although admittedly my comp. is fairly a powerful 8-core 3Ghz Xeon Mac Pro).

The mplayer software can also be used to take screenshots in a more traditional manner by running it with the screenshot video filter:
Code:
mplayer -vf screenshot X:\BDMV\STREAM\00000.m2ts
This allows for the 's' key to dump the current frame displayed in the video window and shift-S can be used to toggle on/off a continuous frame dump.

Upon reflection, I guess my workflow is not quite as simple as I initially stated. However, there's probably someone out there with an even more convoluted methodology...
Hello,

I downloaded Mplayer for windows and tried the command line. Mplayer finds the file, and says: start to play 00001.m2ts.
But it immediately stops. So I cannot take screenshots.

What went wrong?
Old 01-04-2009, 04:50 AM   #25

Jan 2008

pitty its not as easy as just hitting a button like screencapping dvds in PowerDVD eh? Copy Protection sucks.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:41 AM   #26

Apr 2009
Maryland

Quick Question: Is there a sort of cable to connect a Blu Ray player to a computer?
Old 04-11-2009, 06:20 AM   #27
Power Member

Sep 2008
Southern California
Send a message via AIM to hardcorefrokid Send a message via Skype™ to hardcorefrokid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJS92 View Post
Quick Question: Is there a sort of cable to connect a Blu Ray player to a computer?
Not that I know of. Maybe there's a very high end HDMI enabled capture card out there. You're going to need a Blu-ray drive for it to work on your PC.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:57 AM   #28

Mar 2009
nr London

wow, like all of the posts got censored..................................

it's not like any of this is illegal or anything, what the hell?
Old 04-11-2009, 03:27 PM   #29
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007
Hercules, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyblackkitty View Post
wow, like all of the posts got censored..................................

it's not like any of this is illegal or anything, what the hell?
Technically, there isn't supposed to be a way to take screen caps from a playing Blu-ray disc.
Many of the people that are capable are using a certain driver from *Some Company* and it removes the protection and screenies are doable.

Others are doing it another way, but we can't discuss that here either - site rules!
VGN-AR190G - UJ-210S BD Burner
VGN-AR730E/B - UJ-120 BD Combo

like.no.other
Old 04-11-2009, 03:50 PM   #30

Mar 2009
nr London

Just because the company doesn't want you to do something doesn't mean it's not perfectly legal. There are such things as consumer rights laws and fair use and such... I don't think in any country removing DRM from something itself is a crime...
Old 04-11-2009, 04:22 PM   #31

Dec 2007
Florida
Send a message via AIM to onehothemi

I love the sensors.. sensor sensor the world. Oh well. I guess if it dosent have a bluray.com logo on it, its not legit.
My girl friend said if I bought another movie prop she'd leave me. Hell, you know what? I'll really miss her. كافر
Old 04-11-2009, 05:11 PM   #32
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007
Hercules, CA

Quote:
Just because the company doesn't want you to do something doesn't mean it's not perfectly legal. There are such things as consumer rights laws and fair use and such... I don't think in any country removing DRM from something itself is a crime...
*SITE RULES*
This *SITE* frowns on discussion of anything thet defeats Copy Protection.
Talk to the Admin here... let us know how that works out!

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=83207

like.no.other
Old 04-11-2009, 05:27 PM   #33
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2007
USA

Quote:
The forum rules state we dont discuss circumventing the encryption on copyrighted discs. Whether its legal or not isnt the question. Its also legal to discuss politics and religion but not here on this forum. Sorry if this is upsetting.

I wouldnt sweat it, there are forums dedicated to this kind of discussion
"I am jw and I approve this message
Old 04-11-2009, 07:07 PM   #34
Power Member

Sep 2008
Southern California
Send a message via AIM to hardcorefrokid Send a message via Skype™ to hardcorefrokid

It's all gravy.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:49 PM   #35

Mar 2009
nr London

Just thought I'd point out no one should use JPG for full resolution versions of pictures if at all possible, use PNG instead - JPG is a "lossy" compression format which means things get blurred and distorted slightly especially when you zoom in or look close etc - the only way to get a true HD image that's capable of displaying on the internet is with PNG

BMP, TIFF and PSP are "lossless" too but they can't be shown on webpages you have to download them and view with something else
Old 04-14-2009, 06:21 PM   #36
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007
Hercules, CA

Quote:
Just thought I'd point out no one should use JPG for full resolution versions of pictures if at all possible, use PNG instead - JPG is a "lossy" compression format which means things get blurred and distorted slightly especially when you zoom in or look close etc - the only way to get a true HD image that's capable of displaying on the internet is with PNG

BMP, TIFF and PSP are "lossless" too but they can't be shown on webpages you have to download them and view with something else
*USUALLY*, if you save and display a JPEG at 100%, they do look pretty good.

like.no.other
Old 04-14-2009, 07:26 PM   #37

Mar 2009
nr London

"pretty good" yes, but not an accurate representation of Blu-Ray, (more DVD quality/maybe slightly better) and that's what this thread is for isn't it
Old 04-14-2009, 09:30 PM   #38
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007
Hercules, CA

Quote:
"pretty good" yes, but not an accurate representation of Blu-Ray, (more DVD quality/maybe slightly better) and that's what this thread is for isn't it
No, most people save JPEG at 80% or less.
80% is not great.
100% means what to you?

EDIT: Here, brand Spankin new.
Two screens, one JPEG @ 100% Quality and one PNG at 0% compression.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DSL6VB5I

JPEG @ 100% is 814KB.
PNG @ 0% compression is 5.94MB.
Many image hosting sites have a ~1MB size limit.
Imagevenue has a 3MB file size limit.
With PNG at 0% compression and 5.94MB, hosting becomes a minor problem, yes?

like.no.other

Last edited by dadkins; 04-14-2009 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Examples of formats
Old 04-14-2009, 10:15 PM   #39

Apr 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadkins View Post
JPEG @ 100% is 814KB.
PNG @ 0% compression is 5.94MB.
Many image hosting sites have a ~1MB size limit.
Imagevenue has a 3MB file size limit.
With PNG at 0% compression and 5.94MB, hosting becomes a minor problem, yes?
Most PNG screenshots are 2-3MB. Imageshack supports up to 5MB images now for free.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:28 PM   #40
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007
Hercules, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorp View Post
Most PNG screenshots are 2-3MB. Imageshack supports up to 5MB images now for free.
My image editor has a defalt PNG compression of 6(9 is the highest).
I set it to 0(no compression) for the save.

5MB? Cool!
They must have changed it and I didn't notice.
The PNG I just created ended up at 5.94MB with 0% compression.

Lossless and no compression is fine, see if you can tell the difference between the JPEG and the much larger PNG - other than the extension.
I can also provide the image in RAW and TIFF if needed.

I still have the video paused on the screen of one of the other machines here.

like.no.other

Last edited by dadkins; 04-14-2009 at 10:54 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology