COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
The Doctor and the Devils (Blu-ray)
$11.98
Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Justice League: War (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Blacklist: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Monsters (Blu-ray)
$6.99
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Rio 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Transformers Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.24
The NeverEnding Story (Blu-ray)
$13.89
It's a Disaster (Blu-ray)
$18.52
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Phantom of the Paradise (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Old 10-24-2008, 09:23 PM   #21
Banned

Feb 2007
yorkshire england

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapChildren View Post
I actually keep mine all grouped together to keep them uniform.

may i add that cheapchildren has a thing for things being uniform if theyre not uniform theyre no good
Old 10-25-2008, 02:28 AM   #22
Banned

Sep 2008
Charlotte, NC

Quote:

Sweet I was just going to ask if One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest was still digibook like amazon shows it, guess your picture answers that!
Old 10-25-2008, 03:21 AM   #23
Expert Member

Dec 2007
Maryland

I HATE digibooks of any kind, the old warner DVD cases, and any Blu-Ray/DVD packaging that requires glue. Don't TRUST steel books, either. As Stewie said... "I don't like change." Ha!
Old 10-25-2008, 05:19 AM   #24
Expert Member

Oct 2008
Le Canada

I also hate Digibooks... it's useless and doesn't fit with all my regular BD... seriously who wants a cheap book when they buy a movie...
Old 10-25-2008, 07:16 AM   #25
Special Member

Jan 2008
Fort Worth, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blodiak View Post
I also hate Digibooks... it's useless and doesn't fit with all my regular BD... seriously who wants a cheap book when they buy a movie...
Do you honestly believe all Blu-rays are going to be in standard cases? This kind of mentality is going to severely limit your options in the very near future.

What did you do with your DVDs? Did you never buy anything that wasn't a keepcase? If you've actually seen the digibooks you'd know that are anything but cheap looking. They're quite nice actually.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:38 AM   #26
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid-Prince View Post
Never mind. I thought digibooks were the other kinds of packages that companies like Warner used to package their SDDVD season sets. I thought those packages had different names.
What you had in mind is the dreaded: snapper.

Pro-B
Old 10-25-2008, 09:04 AM   #27
Special Member

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist View Post
What you had in mind is the dreaded: snapper.

Pro-B
I don't think he did have snappers in mind. He referred to SDDVD season sets, so I assume he was thinking of the various types of multi-disc boxes used for TV seasons, most of which are based on variations of the digipak packaging.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:47 AM   #28

Feb 2008
Salzburg, Austria

Quote:

Where did you get the Almost Famous Blu Ray in your collection?

Is it the UK version? Guess not because there are no ratings visible...
Beamer: Sony VPL-VW 50
Blu Ray Player: Sony BDP-S 500 (codefree)
Receiver: Onkyo TX SR-705

Blu Rays: 35
Old 10-25-2008, 02:11 PM   #29
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2007
Home of SB 1070

Hmmmm. This is a familiar topic. I hate them and prefer a keep case. I will admit that I succumbed to the steel book editions of the 6 James Bond films last week because they looked very classy and were standard Blu-ray size. After checking out a buddy's set of the steel book 007 classics, I was pretty secure in the fact that they would be resilient against damage. That is not the conclusion I reached with digi books. They do not enclose the disc and are an odd size. If that spindle breaks, the disc is free to fall on the floor. Plus, the covers will wear and produce dull spots just from sitting on the shelf and rubbing against other cases. Incidentally, it is probably a bad idea to group them all together since the rough cardboard may produce dull areas quicker than if they were sitting on the shelf between plastic cases. The corners of the cases are also susceptible to getting "dog-eared" from handling or an accidental drop to the floor. Some genius always suggests just making my own insert and putting the disc in a keep case—so what's the point in buying them? I just order the import versions which are totally region free and can be had for roughly the same price. My only misgivings about UK imports are the rating labels which appear on the cover.
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Gandhi

Last edited by AaronSCH; 10-25-2008 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:03 AM   #30

Feb 2009
Default Pass

I love Poltergeist, it would have been an easy first day purchase for myself but when I picked it up and saw it was a digibook I put it right back down. That's how much I hate it. Unless it's a boxset (like Casablanca, Planet of the Apes) I want it in plastic
Old 03-01-2009, 01:18 AM   #31
Banned

Oct 2006
Kentwood, Michigan
Send a message via Yahoo to GGX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbbud View Post
bonnie and clyde, Jfk are a few examples.
They are the releases that include a disc and a book
'coffee table' as some put it
Heres an old thread
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=1146817
Coffee table book is the official term used by Warner. They have never referred to it as "digibooks".
Old 03-01-2009, 01:52 AM   #32
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2007
Tonawanda, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superblaster76 View Post
I love Poltergeist, it would have been an easy first day purchase for myself but when I picked it up and saw it was a digibook I put it right back down. That's how much I hate it. Unless it's a boxset (like Casablanca, Planet of the Apes) I want it in plastic
I accidentally bought this... wish Ihadn't opened it
“Take the risk of thinking for yourself. Much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way.”
― Christopher Hitchens

PSN ID EyeDocSteve. Sportin' a 52" Sony Bravia XBR4, Launch PS4, Onkyo 805 A/V Receiver, Polk Monitor 50's (Fronts and Surrounds), CS1 Center, eD A2-300 Subwoofer.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:28 AM   #33

Mar 2007
Vancouver / Canada Blu-ray SteelBooks™:142 IronPacks™: 7

I thought Warner Brothers called them 'Blu-ray Books'.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:13 AM   #34

Aug 2007
Virginia Beach

I really don't like these digibooks either. I really want to buy "Amadeus" but it annoys me that it's not available in the regular blu-ray plastic cases.
65" Samsung Smart HDTV
65" Mitsubishi DLP HDTV
Panasonic DMP-BD35K
190 BDs

Blu Wish List Ghostbusters II - Mission to Mars - The Village
Old 03-01-2009, 12:51 PM   #35
Special Member

Jan 2009
Atlantic Canada

Digibooks = the future
Sony 52XBR9
Sony XBR52HX909
DENON AVR-2808CI with PARADIGM speakers(7.1)
Sony HT-CT350 home Theatre System
Sony BDPS470
PS3
Old 03-01-2009, 01:02 PM   #36
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2008
Send a message via AIM to Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperthrower2000 View Post
Digibooks = the future
Can't wait for the Batman one.

Only reason I don't own any right now, nothing I badly want in them.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:58 PM   #37
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2008
Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Send a message via AIM to andyman1970 Send a message via Yahoo to andyman1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superblaster76 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blodiak View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tqmilymi View Post
I HATE digibooks of any kind, the old warner DVD cases, and any Blu-Ray/DVD packaging that requires glue. Don't TRUST steel books, either. As Stewie said... "I don't like change." Ha!
Some people are soooooooo anal over the most insignificant things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronSCH View Post
Hmmmm. This is a familiar topic. I hate them and prefer a keep case. I will admit that I succumbed to the steel book editions of the 6 James Bond films last week because they looked very classy and were standard Blu-ray size. After checking out a buddy's set of the steel book 007 classics, I was pretty secure in the fact that they would be resilient against damage.
Wrong. Steelbooks are more likely to get damaged if you drop them as they a susceptible to dents and dengs and the "lid" can always break off if you're not careful.

Quote:
That is not the conclusion I reached with digi books. They do not enclose the disc and are an odd size.

Actually they do have a tab thingy like standard Blu-ray cases so they are perfectly safe so you would be wrong again.

Quote:
If that spindle breaks, the disc is free to fall on the floor. Plus, the covers will wear and produce dull spots just from sitting on the shelf and rubbing against other cases. Incidentally, it is probably a bad idea to group them all together since the rough cardboard may produce dull areas quicker than if they were sitting on the shelf between plastic cases. The corners of the cases are also susceptible to getting "dog-eared" from handling or an accidental drop to the floor.
So their like a book? I guess that's where they get the name digibook.

Quote:
Some genius always suggests just making my own insert and putting the disc in a keep case—so what's the point in buying them? I just order the import versions which are totally region free and can be had for roughly the same price. My only misgivings about UK imports are the rating labels which appear on the cover.
Someone offered an acceptable suggestion and this is how you respond? I notice you had something negative to say about the import versions as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benricci View Post
These are actually very well constructed, and the disc has a normal plastic hub so it won't fall out.

I like em, even if they are slightly taller. At least they are putting some effort into making these releases special for fans.
I agree. I love the digibooks and I really wish there were more releases done with them.
Still waiting on Pink Floyd:The Wall (1982) Blu-ray release.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:41 PM   #38

Nov 2008
Canada

Quote:
Do you honestly believe all Blu-rays are going to be in standard cases? This kind of mentality is going to severely limit your options in the very near future.

What did you do with your DVDs? Did you never buy anything that wasn't a keepcase? If you've actually seen the digibooks you'd know that are anything but cheap looking. They're quite nice actually.
+1
Digibooks are quite sturdy.
46" Sony Bravia KDL-46S4100 LCD 1080p HDTV
Bell Satellite HD receiver
Sony BDV-E500W Blu-ray/5.1 home theatre system w/ S-AIR wireless system & iPod docking station.
Monster HDMI cables
Monster Home Theatre PowerCenter HTS 950 with clean power stage 1 filtering
Old 03-01-2009, 04:11 PM   #39

Feb 2009
Default Anal

People are anal because they don't like digibooks? I remember people defending keep cases as well, those crappy cardboard things. The fact is plastic lasts longer and if for any reason it gets damaged it's easy to replace. Digibooks are nicer than keep cases but they are still cardboard that over time will get rounded, worn edges.
Old 06-28-2009, 04:09 AM   #40
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
Urban Haute Bourgeoisie
Send a message via AIM to kndy

The recently released "Dr. Strangelove" is also on digibook and the upcoming "Midnight Express" is also digibook. I'm guessing that we will see more Sony major classic releases via digibook (if they include a booklet).

Personally, I don't mind (since my collection on my shelves are not consistent due to the various box sets) but I know for those who want consistency with blue cases may not dig it.

Feel Free to Add Me: XB360/PSN: kndynt2099/Wii: 8397 9641 9718 7362 / 3DS CODE: 4141-2473-3225
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America