Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Last Starfighter (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
Beyond Outrage (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Devil's Due (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
History of the World: Part I (Blu-ray)
$6.16
The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning / The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Old 10-25-2008, 10:28 PM   #1

Aug 2008
Default review for Pixar shorts collection

Awesome. I didn't watch all the shorts, but the shorts I did watch (if you care, Andre and Wally B, Mike's New Car, and Boundin), they looked beautiful. Wally B was a little shaky video wise, but it was okay considering that this short may not have been stored in the best conditions and there really isn't that much to see (the makers were happy that it was made period). It still looked pretty good. Boundin and Mike's New Car were fantastic.
I also loved the documentry that told the story behind the pre Toy Story shorts (the doc was light on info about the later shorts). It was entertaining, informative, and had a few extra tidbits that makes it valuble to Blu-Ray owners. It shows how a 480 video looks on Blu (the Luxo Jr. shorts from Sesame Street; they made Wally B look magnificent) and it gives a glimpse on what a Blu-Ray of Toy Story will look like (pretty nice, I might say).
The place where I watched it didn't have a 7.1 HD awesome sound system, but it sounded alright from what I did hear.
Add the fact that most of the shorts are classics (I've seen 11 of the 13 shorts on various DVDs and I think they are all great shorts), this is a must buy for anyone with a Blu-Ray player (or the DVD version for those with DVD players, but this ain't exactly a forum for DVDs now, is it? ).
Old 10-25-2008, 10:52 PM   #2

Aug 2008
Question Confused....

Is this Volume TWO you're refering to???

Cuz I got Vol. One and the titles don't sound familiar
Old 10-25-2008, 11:11 PM   #3
Special Member

Jun 2008

No point buying this since most will be available on other discs (ie, with the features that they came out with).

We already have 3 of the shorts on Cars and Ratatoille. 2 more on Wall-e, 2 more on Nemo next year ect. I view this set as a needless double dip.

BTW, can someone clear up the release schedule for Pixar?

Wall-e is coming out next month. Nemo was supposed to come out at the same time, but has been postponed until spring. When this was postponed there was lots of discussion that another movie (Bugs Life, Monsters Inc, or Incredibles) would be placed in the Nemo slot since Pixar still wanted 2 holiday releases, I see nothing of the sort on any new release list recently.

Was this all wishful thinking? I assume that it is just Wall-e now and Nemo in the spring. Correct?
Old 10-26-2008, 01:42 AM   #4

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanscottie View Post
Is this Volume TWO you're refering to???

Cuz I got Vol. One and the titles don't sound familiar
It's Vol one. Look on the back of the box, the titles should be there.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:40 AM   #5
Site Manager

Aug 2006
USiberia

Pixar Short Films Collection, Vol. 1 Blu-ray.com Review
Old 10-26-2008, 02:52 AM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2006
New Brighton, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond23 View Post
No point buying this since most will be available on other discs (ie, with the features that they came out with).

We already have 3 of the shorts on Cars and Ratatoille. 2 more on Wall-e, 2 more on Nemo next year ect. I view this set as a needless double dip.

BTW, can someone clear up the release schedule for Pixar?

Wall-e is coming out next month. Nemo was supposed to come out at the same time, but has been postponed until spring. When this was postponed there was lots of discussion that another movie (Bugs Life, Monsters Inc, or Incredibles) would be placed in the Nemo slot since Pixar still wanted 2 holiday releases, I see nothing of the sort on any new release list recently.

Was this all wishful thinking? I assume that it is just Wall-e now and Nemo in the spring. Correct?
Actually, some of these wont be on future releases. And they also probably wont be in PCM, and they also wont have the features that are on the shorts disc.

And as far as I know, no other Pixar movie is coming with Wall E. You would've heard that one was by now, as the release is less than a month away.
- Players Used: Sony BDP-S570 / PS3 (ID: Jackal1985)
- Reciever: Onkyo TX-NR808
- Speakers: Klipsch Synergy 1 Series (7)
- Subs: 2 Yamaha YST-SW315
- TV: Panasonic TH-58PZ800u Plasma
Old 10-26-2008, 03:16 AM   #7
Special Member

Jun 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaytonMG View Post
Actually, some of these wont be on future releases. And they also probably wont be in PCM, and they also wont have the features that are on the shorts disc.

And as far as I know, no other Pixar movie is coming with Wall E. You would've heard that one was by now, as the release is less than a month away.
OTHER BONUS FEATURES

Additional features on this 3-disc set relate, of course, to the WALL-E movie. They include:
* A digital copy of the film you can transfer to an iPod, iPhone or similar device.
* An audio commentary with director Andrew Stanton.
* The Pixar short "Presto" that opened for WALL-E in theaters
* A second Pixar short, "BURN-E." This is a short about the welder robot who was seen banging his fists against the door of the Axiom spaceship. It was produced at the same time as the movie for inclusion here.

* BnL Shorts. Some amusing peeks into the workings of the Buy n Large Corporation.
* Deleted scenes (with introductions), including "Garbage Airlock" (WALL-E rescues EVE from being ejected from the ship, then revives her) and "Dumped" (when WALL-E gives the plant to EVE, she realizes she must take it to the bridge so it can be analyzed).
* "Animation Sound Design: Building Worlds From The Sound Up." Complete with historic footage, this featurette compares Ben Burtt's work on WALL-E to the sound design in early Disney films.
* "WALL-E's Tour of the Universe." The press release says "Join WALL-E on his own private tour of the Universe through the World-Wide Telescope, narrated by Auto-Pilot."
* An interactive game, "WALL-E's Treasures and Trinkets."
* The "Lots of Bots" storybook, the video re-creation of a cute actual storybook.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:43 AM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2008
North Jersey
Default what

What gets me upset from Disney is that Finding Nemo is displayed at my local target and circuit city blu-ray demo as an avaliable title on blu-ray! What the hell!
NJ_Rams_Fan

7-9

Old 06-02-2009, 06:13 PM   #9
Expert Member

Feb 2009

Is Pixar Shorts worth buying? I'm a Pixar fan and have all of the other Pixar blu's to date, but some of the shorts are included on the feature film releases and will most likely end up on the upcoming older releases. One of the reasons I was leaning towards the Pixar Shorts was because of the Pixar Story doc, but it's only about 25 min and not the full length version that has aired on Stars, so that's a bummer.

Opinions?
Old 06-02-2009, 06:36 PM   #10
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2007
Club Loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyjones View Post
Is Pixar Shorts worth buying? I'm a Pixar fan and have all of the other Pixar blu's to date, but some of the shorts are included on the feature film releases and will most likely end up on the upcoming older releases. One of the reasons I was leaning towards the Pixar Shorts was because of the Pixar Story doc, but it's only about 25 min and not the full length version that has aired on Stars, so that's a bummer.

Opinions?
Just get it. It is required ownership for a real fan.
Because Calamari Marionette Ph.D sounded pompous, that's why.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:47 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009

Only The Adventures of Andre and Wally B and Red's Dream weren't put before a film, and so aren't on a DVD or Blu-Ray. Pixar used to alternate between old short and new short for each film, but they abandoned that with Cars. It's a bit odd, because Red's Dream seemed a perfect fit for that film. The doc is different from the Pixar Story documentary, found on the Wall-E BD, so you could buy it for that. Or for the other things like commercials and such, which won't be put on another disk, I'm sure.
Blu-ray releases should be perfect representations of their cinema counterparts.

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America