COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
All That Heaven Allows (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Love Streams (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Operation Petticoat (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad / Fun and Fancy Free (Blu-ray)
$25.89
The East (Blu-ray)
$6.99
Shame (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Ghostbusters Limited Edition Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$89.96
Three Colors Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$39.99
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Elvis: That's the Way It Is (Blu-ray)
$19.59
Rick Steves: Italy's Countryside 2000-2014 (Blu-ray)
$12.49
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Qatsi Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$18.96
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Essential Jacques Demy (Blu-ray)
$69.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 03-20-2007, 08:01 AM   #1
Developer

May 2003
-
-
Default Freedom Writers, Hustle & Flow, The Untouchables and The Warriors Coming to Blu-ray

Quote:
Paramount has just revealed four new titles that are coming to Blu-ray this summer.

The first title on the way is Freedom Writers, which will be released on May 22, 2007. In it Hilary Swank plays Erin Gruwell, the real-life teacher at Long Beach’s Wilson High who inspired her students to overcome the gangs that divided them and the education system that forgot them. Based on the book The Freedom Writers Diary and supported by a cast of first-time actors who drew from their actual experiences on the street, Gruwell teaches us all an important lesson about tolerance and trust.

The second title coming up is Hustle & Flow, which will be available on June 26, 2007. It tells the story of DJay, a Memphis hustler who's not very good at pimping, but he can hustle almost anything or anyone and makes enough to keep himself and three girls satisfied and housed in his shotgun home. DJay however is in the midst of a midlife crisis, he quietly harbors dreams of becoming a respected rapper. When he learns from a local club owner that rap mogul Skinny Black (played by Ludacris), is rolling through town, DJay decides to record his flow with the hopes of slipping his demo to Skinny.

These will be followed up by The Untouchables: Special Collector's Edition on July 3, 2007. The movie is a glorious, fierce, larger-than-life depiction of the mob warlord who ruled Prohibition-era Chicago... and the law enforcer who vowed to bring him down. This classic confrontation between good and evil stars Kevin Costner as federal agent Eliot Ness, Robert De Niro as gangland kingpin Al Capone and Sean Connery as Malone, the cop who teaches Ness how to beat the mob: shoot fast and shoot first.

Also coming on July 3, 2007 is The Warriors: Ultimate Director's Cut from 1979. This contemporary action-adventure story takes place in New York City at night, underground, in the sub-culture of gang warfare that rages from Coney Island to Manhattan to the Bronx. In the movie a street gang called the Warriors are mistakenly blamed for a rival gang leader's death and soon have every gang in the city after them to get revenge. Members of the Warriors fight for their lives, seek to survive in the urban jungle and learn the meaning of loyalty.

We've added the titles to our list of upcoming Blu-ray movies and will update the entries with more details as they become available.
Source: http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=128

Last edited by Marwin; 03-20-2007 at 08:03 AM.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:23 AM   #2

Mar 2007
Chicago, IL

The Warriors and the Untouchables are going to be awesome. Can not wait to purchase these on BD.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:51 AM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2006
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Send a message via Yahoo to WriteSimply Send a message via Skype™ to WriteSimply

Hopefully Paramount will give us lossless audio on The Untouchables, at least. In my opinion, Ennio Morricone's score made the movie much better than it should have been.

fuad
Old 03-20-2007, 10:00 AM   #4

Dec 2006

Looks like I'll be adding Hustle & Flow and the Untouchables to my collection.
Samsung 2493HM
60GB PS3 w/ Xbox 360 HD-DVD add-on & Xubuntu Linux
Old 03-20-2007, 10:04 AM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2006
Switzerland

I hope they do a good job on the Untochables (cleaning up and encoding), that will be a great addition to any BD collection
Old 03-20-2007, 06:41 PM   #6

Aug 2005
Default New Paramount Releases?

There is a new news article on the front page of this site showing 4 new Paramount releases. They mention blu-ray, but nothing about HD-DVD. I assume they are coming out on both. Does anyone know?
PlayStation3 - Sony 50" SXRD KDS50A2000
Old 03-20-2007, 06:56 PM   #7

Jan 2007
Philadelphia, PA

Yes if they are released on Blu-ray they will be released on HD-DVD as well.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:58 PM   #8

Aug 2005

That's what I assumed, but you never know. I just saw the announcement over at The Man Room, and it specified HD-DVD. Too bad.
PlayStation3 - Sony 50" SXRD KDS50A2000
Old 03-20-2007, 07:03 PM   #9
Site Manager

Aug 2006
USiberia

Well this is a Blu-ray site. We don't do HD DVD announcements here
Old 03-20-2007, 08:34 PM   #10

Jan 2007

Remember, this is the new "graphic novel tweaked" version of "The Warriors" with the comic book panels inserted. I got used to it but grew up on the original.
I actually just watched some of it the other nite and the DVD looked great. The BD should look pretty stellar.
The furies chase The Warriors right by the window of my NYC apt! (100th st off riverside drive)

d
Old 03-20-2007, 08:34 PM   #11

Apr 2006

Untouchables is a "must have" although I've seen it about 30 times. It never gets old. Especially the train station shootout.

The Warriors is a true cult classic. I remember when this came out I was a junior in high school. It was banned in LA and New York because of the gangs that showwed up at the theaters and full fledged riots broke out. The chase scene through Central Park btw. The Warriors and the Baseball Furies is spectacular. "i'm going to take that bat away from you and shove it up your ass and turn you into a popsicle" Classic.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:05 AM   #12

Feb 2007

What's The Warriors about, I've never heard of it?

I'll definately be picking up Hustle and Flow. I love that movie.
BDs as of 4-13-07:
Click, X-3, Underworld: Evolution, Talladega Nights, Tomb Radier, Goodfellas
GAMES: Resistance, Madden 07
"According to G4TV (Interpret) Almost 9 million people in the US are willing to pay full price for a PS3, if you are one of the 9 million post this in your Sig"
Old 03-21-2007, 02:09 AM   #13
Super Moderator

Feb 2007

I've still not seen The Warriors so I may give that a try.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:49 AM   #14
Site Manager

Aug 2006
USiberia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr10av View Post
What's The Warriors about, I've never heard of it?

It's a viddi about my New York droogs, O my brothers
Old 03-21-2007, 06:44 AM   #15
Special Member

Jun 2006

Hopefully Paramount will ditch the lossy audio encodes and give us some real audio. There can't be too much skill envolved in putting an uncompressed audio track on a disc. Right?
Blu-ray Disc Collection- I don't think I can count that high...

Main Viewing Space: Samsung LN52a750/Denon AVR-2309/Polk TSi400/Polk CS10/Polk TSi100/Polk RM85/Polk PSW125/Sony BDP-S350/PS3/XBOX 360/Wii

Secondary Viewing Space: Samsung UN46C5000/Denon AVR-2307/Polk RM6750/BDP-S350

My Home Theater Gallery Thread
Old 03-21-2007, 06:48 AM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2006
Oceanside, CA.
Send a message via ICQ to BTBuck1 Send a message via AIM to BTBuck1 Send a message via MSN to BTBuck1 Send a message via Yahoo to BTBuck1

put me down for untouchables and Hustle & Flow.
Blu-ray Disc Supporter: PS3 60gb/Oppo BDP-93 3D, dual HDMI
HD DVD: Toshiba HD-A30,A2/Xbox360 add on (boxed HD-A1)
Samsung LN46B750 LCD 1080p/240hz
Sony kdl55hx729 1080p/240hz local dimming 3DLED
:myspace.com/bluraydisc: :blurayoasis:
Old 03-21-2007, 07:18 AM   #17

Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
Untouchables is a "must have" although I've seen it about 30 times. It never gets old. Especially the train station shootout.

The Warriors is a true cult classic. I remember when this came out I was a junior in high school. It was banned in LA and New York because of the gangs that showwed up at the theaters and full fledged riots broke out. The chase scene through Central Park btw. The Warriors and the Baseball Furies is spectacular. "i'm going to take that bat away from you and shove it up your ass and turn you into a popsicle" Classic.
Longshot. The chase scene was filmed in Riverside Park. They run in past the fireman's monument at 100th st. My NYC apt is actually in the film.

http://home.att.net/~gonzomaz/warriors.htmlhttp://warriorsmovie.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=8137.0

You can actually see a sign for Riverside drive in this pic. that was taken at the location. (My apt. is right up the block and you can see the bars from my window on the far left of the 2nd pic. This is where they stopped and Ajax said "Did we lose these f*cking clowns...?"

Trust me, it is not central park.

d
Old 03-21-2007, 09:07 AM   #18

Nov 2006

I posted this on another forum but I felt like I had to post it here as well!

I hate being negative, but for me Paramount is the absolute worse of the HD studios (yes, even worse than Fox). They are giving every BD release the BD25, MPEG2, DD5.1 treatment and it feels like they are making the least effort of all the HD studios. I can live with high bitrate MPEG2 BD50 with PCM releases, but knowing Paramount it is probably going to be a low bitrate MPEG2 BD25 with DD5.1, and that is not good enough anymore!

Of all there releases only MI3 has looked good so far, and I for one want more than MPEG2 DD5.1 releases for me to purchase a HD movie. I have purchased 5 Paramount BD's up until now (sold 4 of them cause I didn't think they were up to par) and only MI3 was what you could call a HD release.

We are 9 months in to the BD format and I feel like the trial period is over, I want high bitrate BD50 MPEG2, AVC or VC-1 transfers with PCM, DTS HD or TrueHD for studios to get my money!

No more Paramount nor Fox for me until the do the real job that Sony and Buena Vista are doing!

Last edited by onyxx; 03-21-2007 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:58 AM   #19
Power Member

Dec 2006
Middle East,Lebanon

Recent releases of Paramount are BD-50 like Black rain,We were Soldiers,The manchurian candidate equally in PQ or better than the HD-DVD counterpart ,i think Paramount since the beginning of the year they are releasing BD-50 MPEG2 titles and are doing great in this scenario.

FOX are going to release titles on BD-50 they did it before and they will do it again and this is probably why are they postponed their recent titles maybe a new author mechanism like SONY and Buena lionsgate are doing lately.Using different codecs like AVC and MPEG2

Last edited by Scorxpion; 03-21-2007 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:10 AM   #20

Nov 2006
uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post
Remember, this is the new "graphic novel tweaked" version of "The Warriors" with the comic book panels inserted. I got used to it but grew up on the original.
I actually just watched some of it the other nite and the DVD looked great. The BD should look pretty stellar.
The furies chase The Warriors right by the window of my NYC apt! (100th st off riverside drive)

d
"Im gonna shove that bat up your a$$ and turn you into a popsicle"

The warriors was the 2nd movie I watched when the family bought its first video player years ago.
The warriors is a must buy for me
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America