Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Fairy Tail: Part 12 (Blu-ray)
$31.69
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Kingpin (Blu-ray)
$14.39
Magic in the Moonlight (Blu-ray)
$22.79
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Last Supper (Blu-ray)
$13.29
Tommy Boy (Blu-ray)
$4.88
Welcome to the Space Show (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Congo (Blu-ray)
$8.69
How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Blu-ray)
$19.98
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 02-29-2012, 01:29 PM   #1
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->88 SteelBooks™--------->127 UV-------->265
Default Once Film-Focused, Netflix Transitions to TV Shows

More bad news for us OD advocates.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/once-f...174008412.html

Quote:
Belying the “flix” in its name, Netflix is now primarily an Internet streaming service for television shows, not feature films.

TV series now account for more than half of all Netflix viewing. That helps to explain why this Wednesday — the long-awaited moment when motion picture classics like “Scarface” and newer hits like “Toy Story 3” will vanish from the streaming service — is not the doomsday that it was once expected to be.

The vanishing films are from Starz. Its three-and-a-half-year-old deal helped Netflix persuade millions of people to sign up for Internet streaming, hastening the company’s leap to digital distribution from physical DVDs.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:33 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2011

I they include old TV shows ill stay on.
I can care less about access to shows in the last decade.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->88 SteelBooks™--------->127 UV-------->265

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmon77 View Post
I they include old TV shows ill stay on.
I can care less about access to shows in the last decade.
I just hate that they are lazy in the research. Movies are more popular than TV shows, they think because more people are watching TV shows on streaming that it means they should cut OD inventory. This is extremely narrow minded since the majority of Netflix streaming is TV shows and B Movie content.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:43 PM   #4

Oct 2008

thats why i cancelled...i can turn on my tv to watch shows. They are trying to become another alternative to cable subscriptions it seems.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:46 PM   #5
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilightfan View Post
thats why i cancelled...i can turn on my tv to watch shows. They are trying to become another alternative to cable subscriptions it seems.
If this keeps us there will no way to rent catalog titles on DVD or BD. We will be limited to what a Redbox machine has or paying $4-6 at what's left of Blockbuster.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:11 AM   #6
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
More bad news for us OD advocates.
not sure what you mean by this. This has to do that Netflix is buying real bad and cheap TV shows instead of more expensive movies for their streaming service. Also don't forget that to a customer looking at killing many hours, a 23 episode 1h old TV show kills a lot more time than a 2h movie and since each episode is counted as one instead of seasons it also looks like there is a lot of content.

I don't see what this has to do with OD. It is just Netflix trying to get costs under control.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:06 PM   #7
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Yep, licensing older television content is much cheaper for Netflix and the studios believe that it has no future on physical media. Netflix wants to replace everyone's cable subscription more than anything else.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:32 PM   #8

Nov 2009
Jacksonville, FL.

personally i think netflix is on its last legs, ever since they raised prices the last time and tried to split thier company, it seems as though they have been losing ground.

I find that i watch more tv shows on netflix than movies, i dont have cable or satelitte, i blind buy most movies i want to see, so the streaming allows me to catch shows i might have missed during the orignal run.

i only pay for streaming, as their catalog blu rays were minimal at best, ill continue to use the service for streaming until netflix goes belly up, which i thin kwill happen sooner than later
Gear: Lg47LW5300 3DTV, Sony BDP-S780 3D Blu Ray. Yamaha RX-V365 receiver w/ speakers and sub, XBOX 360 W/Kinect
Old 03-03-2012, 01:41 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007
Goldsboro, NC
Send a message via AIM to cathexist Send a message via MSN to cathexist

If amazon does a ps3 app for their prime streaming, I most likely will cancel Netflix. It does seem like Netflix needs to get their act together...they're acting like blockbuster, making too many changes and changing them back all the time.
PSN ID: cathexist Rock Band 2 band: Atomic Hearts Rock Band 2 character: Beethoven
Home Theater Setup: 60GB PS3, Sanyo PLV-1080HD Projector, JVC RX-D412B A/V Receiver
Trade Thread Home Theater Thread
Old 03-26-2012, 03:19 AM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2008
Saint Paul Minnesota.

Well my fiance got a free 1 month trial for Netflix so I say her and I stream away! But this will not replace Blu ray for us one bit. Its a 1 month trial and after that? Its bye bye.
Sony Bravia KDL-55W900A LED/3D TV.
Sony BDP S6200 3D Blu ray Player.
Sony 5.2-Channel 4K A/V HD Receiver - STRDH540.
Center Channel Speaker: Tivoli Signature Series.
Tower Speakers: Sony SS-MF315's.
Surrounds: Pioneer Satellite Speakers.
Subwoofer: Pioneer.
Xfinity HD.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:03 AM   #11

Nov 2011
cyberspace

i just dropped netflix last month and will never go back. I used to really like them but they are not the same anymore.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology