Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Fargo: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
10 hrs ago
Thor: The Dark World 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
29 min ago
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Zodiac (Blu-ray)
$4.99
1 hr ago
Planet of the Apes: Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99
8 hrs ago
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
17 hrs ago
Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.99

The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$59.99

True Detective (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Vikings: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

22 Jump Street (Blu-ray)
$14.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 05-29-2011, 12:32 PM   #1

Aug 2008
Default BD vs. HD streaming?

I am sure this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find a thread about it.

Is there a difference in BD movie video and audio quality comparing with HD streaming (Apple TV, Netflex, etc.) ?
Old 05-29-2011, 02:34 PM   #2

Oct 2008

Are you using a wireless connection or a wired? I stream netflix wirelessly (wireless N) through my sony BDP-S570 it is not BD quality. Its more of quality of DVD and because of this I still want the disc, but it is great for when I'm waiting on a disc to show up via mail and the video store just doesn't have anything I'm interested in at the time.
Living Room:
Sony Bravia 40 inch KDL-40XBR4 1080/24P 120hz
Sony BDP- S570 Sony Sound bar HT-CT150 XBOX 360s
Bedroom
Sony KDL-40EX500 1080/24P 120hz Sony BDV-N790W
Man Cave
Sony XBR55HX950 LED 3D (Custom audio coming soon)
www.facebook.com/KWilliamson42
Old 05-29-2011, 02:45 PM   #3

Aug 2010

HD streams (netflix etc) come nowhere near Blu-Ray quality. Especially the bigger your screen is.

Last edited by Molecule; 05-29-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:04 PM   #4
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishal View Post
I am sure this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find a thread about it.

Is there a difference in BD movie video and audio quality comparing with HD streaming (Apple TV, Netflex, etc.) ?
yes a big one. For one none of the DL services offer lossless sound (DTHD or DTS-HD MA or LPCM), and I don't think any of them offer 7.1.

As for video, they use much lower BW and or resolution since if people where to DL 30GB or 40GB or 50GB files it would take way too long and the vast majority of people don't have access to BW large enough (over 40 mbps) to stream BD quality.

Then again you can try Netflix for freee for a month and itunes (not exactly apple TV but the quality is not any better) you can get a single movie.

Vudu's HDX is the best so far but even it does not come close to BD and the price does not make it appealing (for example renting Gnomeo & Juliet is 5.99$ and buying it is 19.99$ while for 19.99$ you can buy the BD/DVD from Amazon and you can probably rent it for <5.99)

P.S. Also I don't know of any DL service that does 3D.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:19 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Mobile, AL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony P View Post

P.S. Also I don't know of any DL service that does 3D.
Vudu does 3D and Samsung is about to start streaming 3D VOD for it's 3D smart tv's.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:28 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Mobile, AL

Quote:

Yes. At this point streaming does not offer the same picture quality as BD (although a couple do come pretty close,) and at this point lossless audio is not available. However, this does not mean that HD streaming can not be a valuable part of your overall entertainment picture.

Some streaming services do have better quality than others. I have tried many, and of the ones I have the most experience with I would rate them as follows in terms of picture/audio quality.

Zune > Vudu > Hulu Plus > Netflix > CinemaNow > Amazon
Old 05-29-2011, 07:45 PM   #7
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2008
California

For streaming I mainly use Netflix although once in a while I try other services. For video, HD from Netflix is pretty good but let's be honest, it is nowhere near its BD counterpart. Just think about it, a regular BD is 25GB while an HD movie from Netflix is about 2GB. There is no technology in the world right now that can compress 90% of the data and produce similar results in video. Now audio OTOH, is a much bigger gap. The best Netflix can do is lossy 5.1. (my Roku only does 2.0 now).
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss
Old 05-29-2011, 07:49 PM   #8
Expert Member

Jan 2009
San Francisco Bay Area

Quote:

I don't believe ANY streaming service now that can equal HD quality like blu ray. Whether you are using wired or not, the streaming video is compressed and when video is compress will loose quality. I stream Netflix all the time and even though some of the shows and movies are in HD...it cannot match blu ray...at least not yet.
Sony BDP-BX38 (S380) and Playstation 3 (80GB)
Samsung LN52B750 240HZ
Yamaha RX663BL Reciever
Emotiva XPA-3 Amp
Emotiva Ultra 12 Subwoofer
Mission Electronics MK II bookshelf speakers.
Klipsch KV-1 Center Speaker
Klipsch RF 63's Tower Speakers
Old 05-29-2011, 07:57 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Mobile, AL

Quote:
Originally Posted by icyteddy View Post
I don't believe ANY streaming service now that can equal HD quality like blu ray. Whether you are using wired or not, the streaming video is compressed and when video is compress will loose quality. I stream Netflix all the time and even though some of the shows and movies are in HD...it cannot match blu ray...at least not yet.
All of this is true (and blu-ray video is compressed as well BTW) but none of it is really relevent to everyone making the decision about whether to use streaming services. I would say that as a rule of thumb, if you are OK with watching some movies on cable or satellite then you would also be OK with watching those movies via streaming. IME, Zune and Vudu are extremely comparable to what I get from Dish and DirecTV, if not better in some instances.

For me it all depends on the movie. If I am watching a horror flick where I want to hear the tiny foot steps behind me, or a music driven movie, a high CGI content sci fi or animated movie... I want to watch that on Blu-Ray. However... if it's a story driven drama or an indie film without a lot of action, CGI and high quality sound effects, I am more than content to watch it on satellite or streaming.

Of course all of this can vary from user to user as it is highly dependent upon the quality of your internet connection and home network, and the ping and latency between you and the streaming server.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:07 PM   #10
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinandtami View Post
All of this is true (and blu-ray video is compressed as well BTW) but none of it is really relevent to everyone making the decision about whether to use streaming services.
since the OP asked about A/V quality I am assuming it is to some extent relevent to him.
Quote:
I would say that as a rule of thumb, if you are OK with watching some movies on cable or satellite then you would also be OK with watching those movies via streaming. IME, Zune and Vudu are extremely comparable to what I get from Dish and DirecTV, if not better in some instances.

I agree that sat/cable/OTA is very compressed as well and does not match BD (though I would say, at least here, it is better then DL) but there is one difference that unless someone is thinking VOD or PPV, there does not tend to be any cost wit this while with DL there is.

so if the question is PPV vs Vudu there is no reral difference either in price or capabilities so use what you want. But I never bothered to go with Netflix past the free tial because the quality is not there, and I tend to buy movies, so using it to watch an episode I missed did not make much sense (i.e. 7.99 just in case I miss an episode or two a month and usually not even that).

And then there can be other reasons, what internet connection does the person have now and will it be enough for streaming, does he have a cap and how will it be affected.....
Old 05-29-2011, 10:21 PM   #11
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinandtami View Post
Vudu does 3D and Samsung is about to start streaming 3D VOD for it's 3D smart tv's.
cool, when I checked none of them showed up on the list. I guess that very few pick the 3D version so they don't show up in popular. They should make so that the 3D and 2D show up on the same page (i.e. rental HDX - 5.99, HD - 4.99, 3DHDX - 6.99, 3DHD - 5.99...)
Old 05-30-2011, 09:15 PM   #12

Oct 2008

Quote:

HD streaming audio is NO COMPETITION at all to BD lossless audio. Even if you have an outstanding audio component set up you will still not get the audio that the physical BD disc can provide " as long as the BD disc has lossless audio". If you have a decent set up for audio streaming HD signals at best will sound like a DVD with dolby digital audio. I say this from what I own and from all the very nice home theater equipment I have had the chance to hear. It is ok if you have to stream but dont expect much in terms of audio. I rarely ever stream anything on my system although I know alot of people who do.
FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT AND NEVER SURRENDER
Old 05-31-2011, 05:17 AM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2008
Northern Calif

This is easy...
Yes theres a difference, Blu Ray is better....
Old 05-31-2011, 02:22 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2007

A certain amount of quality is lost with streaming. But for most people its adequate enough to be acceptable. Its going to be much better than normal TV.

The bitrates used to transmit or stream HD are always going to be lower than BD because its coming over a wire. 9/10 times if you compare something coming over a wire to something that is physically attached to your screen, the attached hardware will always perform better in the case of HD.

I'll give you an example. If I upload a youtube from my camera it may be 120mb in size for 1080. If I then download the same file to download its only 42mb in size. The reason for this is because youtube encodes it so its as small as possible to fit down the wire. By doing this, a certain amount of quality is lost but the file size is much smaller. Considering most people have small screens on their PC the quality isn't missed.

Basically streaming and transmitted versions of movies is good enough to watch, but if you want the best blu ray is going to be the best.

I would argue it like this. If you have over $1000 worth of equipment (not including your screen) buy the blu ray. If its less than $1000, stream. Simply put, in the case of having a cheapish system, the benefits of blu ray would probably not be missed by you if your streaming. You might miss the extras though.

Obviously all of the above is based on you having a really good connection speed with your ISP.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:04 AM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2008
Saint Paul Minnesota.

Streaming may be good but its not Blu ray quality.
Sony Bravia KDL-55W900A LED/3D TV.
Sony BDP S6200 3D Blu ray Player.
Sony 5.2-Channel 4K A/V HD Receiver - STRDH540.
Center Channel Speaker: Tivoli Signature Series.
Tower Speakers: Sony SS-MF315's.
Surrounds: Pioneer Satellite Speakers.
Subwoofer: Pioneer.
Xfinity HD.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:10 AM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

Maybe they updated it recently, but I know Apple TV used to only be 720p.
Modern
Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 TV
Pioneer BDP-23FD Blu-Ray
Pioneer SC-67 Receiver
Old School
Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020FD TV
Pioneer HLD-X9 Laserdisc Player
Old 06-01-2011, 02:17 AM   #17
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2010
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by richieb1971 View Post
A certain amount of quality is lost with streaming. But for most people its adequate enough to be acceptable. Its going to be much better than normal TV.
That depends a lot on what you mean by streaming and what you mean by normal TV.

I've never seen Dish or DirectTV HD but OTA and Comcast HD are both very good and noticably superior to NetFlix HD streams. Comcast's OnDemand streams are also very good.

They're not BD quality but they're surprisingly good for what I would consider normal TV.
And I have been fortunate to escape what has been called “that form of snobbery which can accept the Literature of Entertainment in the Past, but only the Literature of the Enlightenment in the Present.” - Raymond Chandler

'Course I'm respectable. I'm old. Politicians, ugly buildings, and whor*s all get respectable if they last long enough. - Noah Cross
Old 06-01-2011, 02:21 AM   #18
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2010
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
HD streaming audio is NO COMPETITION at all to BD lossless audio.
On the audio front HD streaming really can't even compete with a lot of lossy BD audio. I'm hardly an audiophile but even I can hear the difference between lower bitrate and higher bitrate lossy tracks.
And I have been fortunate to escape what has been called “that form of snobbery which can accept the Literature of Entertainment in the Past, but only the Literature of the Enlightenment in the Present.” - Raymond Chandler

'Course I'm respectable. I'm old. Politicians, ugly buildings, and whor*s all get respectable if they last long enough. - Noah Cross
Old 06-01-2011, 02:36 AM   #19
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by octagon View Post
I've never seen Dish or DirectTV HD but OTA and Comcast HD are both very good and noticably superior to NetFlix HD streams. Comcast's OnDemand streams are also very good.

They're not BD quality but they're surprisingly good for what I would consider normal TV.
agree. For here I would say OTA> Bell sat /videotron > Netflix
Old 06-01-2011, 03:08 AM   #20
Special Member

Oct 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by octagon View Post
That depends a lot on what you mean by streaming and what you mean by normal TV.

Personally I find the biggest flaw with broadcast HD is macroblocking on action scenes. But for most non-action oriented programming it can be very good.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology