Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Willow (Blu-ray)
$10.01
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ghost in the Shell (Blu-ray)
$18.99
The Gershwins' Porgy & Bess (Blu-ray)
$29.89
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Warrior (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Lifeforce (Blu-ray)
$14.59
Black Butler: Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Majestic Prince: Collection 2 (Blu-ray)
$36.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

View Poll Results: Which version would you prefer ?
U.S 52 76.47%
U.K 16 23.53%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2008, 03:03 PM   #1
lgans316 lgans316 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
lgans316's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
Barking, Essex, United Kingdom
17
140
Question Shawshank Redemption - U.S vs U.K

Version: Japan / U.S.A / Region A, B, C
Studio: Warner
Aspect ratio: 1.78:1
VC-1 BD-50 / Advanced Profile 3
Running time: 2:22:33
Movie size: 23,56 GB
Disc size: 31,88 GB
Average video bit rate: 16.42 Mbps
Number of chapters: 40
Subtitles: English SDH / Chinese / French / Japanese / Korean / Portuguese / Spanish

Dolby TrueHD Audio English 1423 kbps 5.1 / 48kHz / 16-bit / 1423kbps (AC3 Core: 5.1 / 48kHz / 640kbps)
Dolby Digital Audio English 640 kbps 5.1 / 48kHz / 640kbps
Dolby Digital Audio English 192 kbps 2.0 / 48kHz / 192kbps
Dolby Digital Audio French 192 kbps 2.0 / 48kHz / 192kbps
Dolby Digital Audio Japanese 192 kbps 2.0 / 48kHz / 192kbps
Dolby Digital Audio Spanish 192 kbps 2.0 / 48kHz / 192kbps

#Commentary by writer/director Frank Darabont
#2 Documentaries: Hope Springs Eternal: A Look Back at The Shawshank Redemption, Shawshank: The Redeeming Feature
#The Charlie Rose Show segment featuring Darabont, Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman
#Comic Spoof of The Shawshank Redemption
#Stills and Collectibles Galleries
#Theatrical Trailer (HD)

************************************************** *****************

Version: U.K / Region A, B, C
Studio: ITV DVD
Aspect ratio: 1.78:1
MPEG-4 AVC BD-50 / High Profile 4.1
Running time: 2:22:32
Movie size: 30,44 GB
Disc size: 42,58 GB
Average video bit rate: 25.98 Mbps
Number of chapters: 12
Subtitles: English

Dolby Digital Audio English 640 kbps 5.1 / 48kHz / 640kbps
Dolby Digital Audio English 256 kbps 2.0 / 48kHz / 256kbps
Dolby Digital Audio English 224 kbps 2.0 / 48kHz / 224kbps

Extras: PAL-SD

#Commentary by Frank Darabont
#Hope Springs Eternal: A look back at the Shawshank Redemption (31m:00s)
#Shawshank: The Redeeming Feature (48m:00s)
#The Charlie Rose Show with Frank Darabont (42m:19s)
#Cast Interviews - Tim Robbins (27m:21s), Morgan Freeman (20m:54s), Bob Gunton (37m:45s), William Saddler (32m:24s), Clancy Brown(15m:41s)
#Stills Gallery
#Shawshank Storyboards
#Original on Location Footage
#Original Theatrical Trailer
#New Theatrical Trailer

Spec Courtesy: House / Kannisto @AVS

Last edited by lgans316; 11-05-2008 at 12:20 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 03:23 PM   #2
eChopper eChopper is offline
Senior Member
 
eChopper's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
21
51
1
Default

shouldn't we wait till the Warner version comes out and then compare it to the uk version

for what its worth, the UK version looks great
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 03:26 PM   #3
Josh Josh is offline
Super Moderator
 
Josh's Avatar
 
Sep 2006
24
371
15
34
Default

I bought the Japanese version. Where is my option?
SUPER POWER NINJA TURBO NEO ULTRA HYPER MEGA MULTI ALPHA META EXTRA UBER PREFIX COMBO!
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 03:28 PM   #4
xander xander is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
xander's Avatar
 
May 2008
Just Outside of the Alliance's Reach
358
4
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eChopper View Post
shouldn't we wait till the Warner version comes out and then compare it to the uk version

for what its worth, the UK version looks great
No, as I am pretty sure the entire point of this thread is to showcase the disc space used and bitrate data to dog Warner again, even before the disc drops and we get to see it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 03:29 PM   #5
kpkelley kpkelley is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
kpkelley's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
Framingham, MA
1380
149
Default

Can I get the video from the U.K. version and the audio from the US/Japan version?

I hope this is the last of Warner's hd-dvd video encodes, this is getting embarrassing. I love that they upgraded the audio to truehd, but sub-20 bit encodes is ridiculous, particularly when their video encodes are being outclassed by local distributors like ITV UK.
Pioneer Elite KURO PRO-1150HD
Sony Playstation 4
Oppo BDP-83
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 03:29 PM   #6
benricci benricci is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
benricci's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
1
Default

yeah, this thread is kind of pointless since the US version won't be released for several weeks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 03:30 PM   #7
kpkelley kpkelley is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
kpkelley's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
Framingham, MA
1380
149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
No, as I am pretty sure the entire point of this thread is to showcase the disc space used and bitrate data to dog Warner again, even before the disc drops and we get to see it.
The disc is already available in Japan, and has been the case with most of Warners releases they are the same wherever they are released.
Pioneer Elite KURO PRO-1150HD
Sony Playstation 4
Oppo BDP-83
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 03:32 PM   #8
wildphantom wildphantom is offline
Senior Member
 
Mar 2008
421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eChopper View Post
shouldn't we wait till the Warner version comes out and then compare it to the uk version

for what its worth, the UK version looks great
I think that is the US version right there.

I am surprised by this. really surprised
Alot was made about the lack of a lossless track on the UK release, but it seems the track was spared for a dramatically larger bit rate on the video side. Doesn't necessarily mean it looks any better - but you'd presume its got every chance.

I held off buying the UK version until this sort of comparison -but if its accurate I might go out and buy the UK one this weekend.

The regular dolby digital track had some fine write-ups
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 06:34 PM   #9
DetroitSportsFan DetroitSportsFan is offline
Hot Deals Moderator
 
DetroitSportsFan's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
Detroit, MI
1238
6
39
Default

One has the digibook packaging, the other doesn't have lossless audio.

I'll take neither.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 06:55 PM   #10
DrinkMore DrinkMore is offline
Banned
 
DrinkMore's Avatar
 
Apr 2007
That's What She Said!
140
7
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post
Version: Japan / U.S.A / Region A, B, C
Studio: Warner
Aspect ratio: 1.78:1
VC-1 BD-50 / Advanced Profile 3
Running time: 2:22:33
Movie size: 23,56 GB
Disc size: 31,88 GB
Average video bit rate: 16.42 Mbps
Number of chapters: 40
Subtitles: English SDH / Chinese / French / Japanese / Korean / Portuguese / Spanish

Dolby TrueHD Audio English 1423 kbps 5.1 / 48kHz / 16-bit / 1423kbps (AC3 Core: 5.1 / 48kHz / 640kbps)
Dolby Digital Audio English 640 kbps 5.1 / 48kHz / 640kbps
Dolby Digital Audio English 192 kbps 2.0 / 48kHz / 192kbps
Dolby Digital Audio French 192 kbps 2.0 / 48kHz / 192kbps
Dolby Digital Audio Japanese 192 kbps 2.0 / 48kHz / 192kbps
Dolby Digital Audio Spanish 192 kbps 2.0 / 48kHz / 192kbps

#Commentary by writer/director Frank Darabont
#2 Documentaries: Hope Springs Eternal: A Look Back at The Shawshank Redemption, Shawshank: The Redeeming Feature
#The Charlie Rose Show segment featuring Darabont, Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman
#Comic Spoof of The Shawshank Redemption
#Stills and Collectibles Galleries
#Theatrical Trailer (HD)

************************************************** *****************

Version: U.K / Region A, B, C
Studio: ITV DVD
Aspect ratio: 1.78:1
MPEG-4 AVC BD-50 / High Profile 4.1
Running time: 2:22:32
Movie size: 30,44 GB
Disc size: 42,58 GB
Average video bit rate: 25.98 Mbps
Number of chapters: 12
Subtitles: English

Dolby Digital Audio English 640 kbps 5.1 / 48kHz / 640kbps
Dolby Digital Audio English 256 kbps 2.0 / 48kHz / 256kbps
Dolby Digital Audio English 224 kbps 2.0 / 48kHz / 224kbps

Extras: PAL-SD

#Commentary by Frank Darabont
#Hope Springs Eternal: A look back at the Shawshank Redemption (31m:00s)
#Shawshank: The Redeeming Feature (48m:00s)
#The Charlie Rose Show with Frank Darabont (42m:19s)
#Cast Interviews - Tim Robbins (27m:21s), Morgan Freeman (20m:54s), Bob Gunton (37m:45s), William Saddler (32m:24s), Clancy Brown(15m:41s)
#Stills Gallery
#Shawshank Storyboards
#Original on Location Footage
#Original Theatrical Trailer
#New Theatrical Trailer

Spec Courtesy: House @AVS

Why do you bother posting this?

Not sure about anyone else - but I GET IT. YOU don't like Warner. You obviously have some personal problem with them. Great. No need to keep posting your dislikes over and over and over again. Also posting a thread with nothing but this info and no message - pointless.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:06 PM   #11
DetroitSportsFan DetroitSportsFan is offline
Hot Deals Moderator
 
DetroitSportsFan's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
Detroit, MI
1238
6
39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkMore View Post
Why do you bother posting this?

Not sure about anyone else - but I GET IT. YOU don't like Warner. You obviously have some personal problem with them. Great. No need to keep posting your dislikes over and over and over again. Also posting a thread with nothing but this info and no message - pointless.
All he was doing was comparing the two Shawshank releases from Warner and ITV. I found it informative.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:12 PM   #12
nycomet nycomet is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
nycomet's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
Long Island, N.Y.; 3D blu-rays look stunning; Favorite food: Pizza
6
923
29
285
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkMore View Post
Why do you bother posting this?

Not sure about anyone else - but I GET IT. YOU don't like Warner. You obviously have some personal problem with them. Great. No need to keep posting your dislikes over and over and over again. Also posting a thread with nothing but this info and no message - pointless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSportsFan View Post
All he was doing was comparing the two Shawshank releases from Warner and ITV. I found it informative.
Ditto. Thanks for the interesting comparisons.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:31 PM   #13
b0bby b0bby is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Sep 2008
North Carolina
153
Default

the us version is 1 second longer. clearly this is the one you should buy. everything else is meaningless. wouldn't want to miss that extra second of HD quality black screen.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:21 AM   #14
lgans316 lgans316 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
lgans316's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
Barking, Essex, United Kingdom
17
140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
I bought the Japanese version. Where is my option?
The Japan disc is labeled _NA_JP and contains menu in English if the BD Menu language in your player is set to English. This is the same disc that will be released stateside inside Digibook packaging. Looks like the movie was encoded during the format war period as 18 GB of space is wasted.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:32 AM   #15
Moviefan1203 Moviefan1203 is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Moviefan1203's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
82
6
43
Default

U.S. version.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:58 AM   #16
z4017 z4017 is offline
Senior Member
 
z4017's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
Taiwan
4
9
Default

I hate DD 5.1, so I'll pick US version.
As an Asian resident, I think lgans316's post makes some sense. Both US & UK are 'imports' to me. I like this movie so I'll have to choose between US version or UK version.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:57 AM   #17
micks_address micks_address is offline
Special Member
 
May 2007
Dublin
156
2
Default

so has anyone compared the Japan version to eht UK version for picture quality? I'm holding out for the US version for the Dolby True HD track.. i know its not a blockbuster for sound.. but i still would pick lossless when i can
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 07:49 AM   #18
hanser hanser is offline
Active Member
 
May 2007
Heidelberg, Germany
1
Default

so, has anybody now both to compare actual picture quality?
For German speakers only! My blog about psychology in movies: http://www.brainlogs.de/blogs/blog/gyrus-celluloid
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:56 AM   #19
cipher cipher is offline
Active Member
 
cipher's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
833
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkMore View Post
Why do you bother posting this?

Not sure about anyone else - but I GET IT. YOU don't like Warner. You obviously have some personal problem with them. Great. No need to keep posting your dislikes over and over and over again. Also posting a thread with nothing but this info and no message - pointless.
Unfortunately, you don't get it!:

Warner, a studio with one of the largest film catalogues, has been one of the worst offenders when it comes to quality Blu-Ray releases. Admittedly, the North American version of this disc looks good (see the HDD review and others) but WTF does the UK version have 8GB more video information (I know these are different codecs but this much difference in size has little to do with encoding efficiency)? We are currently paying for a premium product and expecting the highest video quality, which Warner has failed to supply over and over.

I'm not ready to go into the details of Warners consistently sad and cheap effort when it comes to Blu, but before the end of the year I'll post a detailed thread that clearly outlines their lackluster release quality. The numbers I present will stagger anyone with a passing interest in Blu-Ray!
Panasonic 65VT50 | Mitsubishi HC4900 Projector | OPPO BDP-93 | Emotiva UMC-1 | Emotiva XPA-5 | Mirage OMD-15,OMD-C1,OMD-5 | Rythmik D15SE x 2 | 100" Screen | Emotiva XDA-1
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 04:38 PM   #20
DrinkMore DrinkMore is offline
Banned
 
DrinkMore's Avatar
 
Apr 2007
That's What She Said!
140
7
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher View Post
Unfortunately, you don't get it!:

Warner, a studio with one of the largest film catalogues, has been one of the worst offenders when it comes to quality Blu-Ray releases. Admittedly, the North American version of this disc looks good (see the HDD review and others) but WTF does the UK version have 8GB more video information (I know these are different codecs but this much difference in size has little to do with encoding efficiency)? We are currently paying for a premium product and expecting the highest video quality, which Warner has failed to supply over and over.

I'm not ready to go into the details of Warners consistently sad and cheap effort when it comes to Blu, but before the end of the year I'll post a detailed thread that clearly outlines their lackluster release quality. The numbers I present will stagger anyone with a passing interest in Blu-Ray!
So posting the same thing over and over again makes it better how? Unless some huge wave of internet media starts knocking WB for their crap releases and continues to do so, they won't care and will continue to do so.

Whats the point in posting the obvious? It has been posted, talked and posted and talked to death. Either you support them by purchasing their films, or you do not support them and do not buy their films. How hard is that?

I really don't get the whole bashing warner threads that keep cropping up. IF YOU DON'T LIKE SOMETHING - DON'T BUY IT! Can it get any easier?

So, that's not the point right? The point is your paying a premium for an HD release right? Question is, why are you paying a premium for something that does not meet your standards? Then again, if your not buying it to begin with, your not paying a premium, so your complaining can only go so far.

Get it? Obviously your coming to some conclusion that drives you to purchase a WB title because YOU WANT IT and are WILLING to accept it, even though it's not what you REALLY want. Yet you complain about it?

Umm, ok.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Similar Threads
thread Forum Thread Starter Replies Last Post
Everyone must get Shawshank Redemption Blu-ray Movies - North America Bill Hunt 387 06-18-2013 08:03 PM
The Shawshank Redemption (A) Best Pricing QwikSand 4 01-29-2009 11:56 AM
Shawshank Redemption 8.98 Region B Deals JustAnotherFilmFan 0 12-26-2008 10:17 AM
shawshank redemption (uk) 10/11/08 United Kingdom and Ireland uk-guy 1 08-04-2008 03:54 AM


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:35 PM.