COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$54.96
Poirot: The Complete Cases Collection (Blu-ray)
$198.49
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Dexter: The Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Ray Donovan: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.49
Orange Is the New Black: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Uta no Prince-sama 2000%: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$37.28
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Sleepaway Camp (Blu-ray)
$15.99
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
Hawaii Five-0: The Third Season (Blu-ray)
$23.24
D-Day Remembered (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Destroy All Monsters (Blu-ray)
$12.74
Titanic 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.49
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Old 03-25-2007, 10:31 PM   #1
Special Member

Mar 2007
Default Great news, and a good point

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...Happy_Feet/539

That's good to hear. The point they make about the PS3 and Happy Feet is a good point. I'll rent it to see the picture quality, but it's not in my genre to buy it.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:37 PM   #2

Dec 2006
Send a message via AIM to maximus2323

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhaase View Post
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...Happy_Feet/539

That's good to hear. The point they make about the PS3 and Happy Feet is a good point. I'll rent it to see the picture quality, but it's not in my genre to buy it.
Sounds like The Departed, being compared on both fomats but I guess it's diffrent becuase it's a family movie maybe.

-Max
Old 03-25-2007, 10:43 PM   #3
Special Member

Mar 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus2323 View Post
Sounds like The Departed, being compared on both fomats but I guess it's diffrent becuase it's a family movie maybe.

-Max
Yea, PS3 people are the target audience for The Departed, the 18-34 year old males. With Happy Feet, I'm no industry insider, but I don't think that's the key demographic for that movie.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:45 PM   #4

Dec 2006

Its not a fair comparison b/c Warner shafted the BD release with only DD5.1.

So all the format neutral folks are buying the HD-DVD.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:54 PM   #5

Dec 2006
Send a message via AIM to maximus2323

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy View Post

This camparsion is not fair in certain aspects in dealing with the specs but guessing they want to see more evidence to maybe choice one format for there future releases. Frankly, the issue with sound should not be a issue especially the nonstero savey folks out there we have.

-max
Old 03-25-2007, 11:33 PM   #6
Special Member

Mar 2007
Default All eyes on Happy Feet

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/news...Happy_Feet/539
Old 03-25-2007, 11:57 PM   #7

Dec 2006

This exact story has already been linked and discussed in a thread currently about 3 below this one:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=7060

-edit--

looks like a mod combined the threads, originally the post above this one by bluflu was the beginning of a new thread.

Last edited by crunchy; 03-26-2007 at 12:42 AM.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:13 AM   #8
Banned

Feb 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy View Post

Well, you could also say that The Departed was not a fair comparison b/c Warner shafted the HD release with a combo format and $5 higher MSRP.

So all the format neutral folks were buying the Blu-ray.

I just find it amusing that the word "fair" only sees the light of day with people when things don't go their way. Yet they're never that concerned with "fair play" as long as its only the other side that suffers. This format war has proved that compassion and tolerance around the web are in short supply.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:54 AM   #9

Oct 2006

I have both formats & will be picking it up the HD DVD for the Dolby TrueHD. It's only $4 more at Amazon. If a title is released on both formats I pick up the one with the best picture quality & sound. I can get it under $25 with free 2 day shipping.

I'm not sure why Warner didn't include Dolby TrueHD on the Blu-ray version. Sometimes it baffles me which decisions are made for titles on both formats. Sometimes you wonder who's in charge.

I know it's $4 more but it's worth it for me for the better sound & I can play the DVD side in my portable DVD player when I travel. It's a huge difference if you have HDMI or analog outs for the Dolby TrueHD just like it is for the uncompressed audio on certain Blu-ray titles.

I agree "The Departed" was a harder choice since it had uncompressed audio on the Blu-ray & Dolby TrueHD on HD DVD.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:01 AM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

May 2006

marine,
just for a quick clarification, d-thd on hd-dvd is often the exact same as dolby on BR. d-thd is just encoded at the same bitrate as dolby on hd-dvd as BR because of limitations of the other format and nothing to do with the sound itself
:)

Sony KDF-50E2000, Yamaha RX-V1700, Samsung BD-P1000, PS3 60GB, B&W 602 S2 fronts, B&W CC6 center, B&W 601 S2 rears, M&K-125 sub

-Girls hang out, apply make-up, and have long talks in the bathroom. Men do not.

-...blacking out is, as Hemingway pointed out, a way of experiencing the great mystery of death, without dying.

-december BD's- 5/ warner 3... warner total ~15
Old 03-26-2007, 06:21 AM   #11
Banned

Feb 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknub View Post
marine,
just for a quick clarification, d-thd on hd-dvd is often the exact same as dolby on BR. d-thd is just encoded at the same bitrate as dolby on hd-dvd as BR because of limitations of the other format and nothing to do with the sound itself
theknub,
just for a quick clarification, you couldn't be more wrong if it was how you made a living. TrueHD is a variable bitrate lossless codec. Dolby Digital Plus (the standard for most HD-DVD releases) is encoded at the same bitrate as the standard Dolby BD tracks for Warner titles. Paramount, Universal, and Weinstein DD+ tracks are usually encoded at 1500kbps, well above the 640kbps max that standard Dolby Digital has on Blu-ray.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:30 AM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

May 2006

ur right about differences between d-thd and dd+. keeping them straight can be a ton of fun. however, as has been the case to date, most dd+ and dd tracks are the same bitrate. if i'm completely off base, please point me to where cause off hand i cant think of anything (that, or im pulling a tivo dealer)
:)

Sony KDF-50E2000, Yamaha RX-V1700, Samsung BD-P1000, PS3 60GB, B&W 602 S2 fronts, B&W CC6 center, B&W 601 S2 rears, M&K-125 sub

-Girls hang out, apply make-up, and have long talks in the bathroom. Men do not.

-...blacking out is, as Hemingway pointed out, a way of experiencing the great mystery of death, without dying.

-december BD's- 5/ warner 3... warner total ~15
Old 03-26-2007, 07:40 AM   #13
Banned

Feb 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknub View Post
ur right about differences between d-thd and dd+. keeping them straight can be a ton of fun. however, as has been the case to date, most dd+ and dd tracks are the same bitrate. if i'm completely off base, please point me to where cause off hand i cant think of anything (that, or im pulling a tivo dealer)
No, only Warner's DD+ and DD have been the same bitrate, but pretty much all others use a much higher 1536Kbps bitrate (except the ones that are even higher like the Japanese Brothers Grimm @ 2046Kbps).

Benes' thread over at AVS details the numbers, but generally speaking:
640Kbps
Warner
1536Kbps
Paramount
Universal
Weinstein
Old 03-26-2007, 08:58 AM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2006
Oceanside, CA.
Send a message via ICQ to BTBuck1 Send a message via AIM to BTBuck1 Send a message via MSN to BTBuck1 Send a message via Yahoo to BTBuck1

I checked stock in my stores inventory, we are getting 17 copies on Blu-ray & 6 on HDDVD...obviously BB anticipates a greater amount of BD purchases.
Blu-ray Disc Supporter: PS3 60gb/Oppo BDP-93 3D, dual HDMI
HD DVD: Toshiba HD-A30,A2/Xbox360 add on (boxed HD-A1)
Samsung LN46B750 LCD 1080p/240hz
Sony kdl55hx729 1080p/240hz local dimming 3DLED
:myspace.com/bluraydisc: :blurayoasis:
Old 03-26-2007, 09:11 AM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2006
Atlanta, Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Ley View Post
Well, you could also say that The Departed was not a fair comparison b/c Warner shafted the HD release with a combo format and $5 higher MSRP.

So all the format neutral folks were buying the Blu-ray.

I just find it amusing that the word "fair" only sees the light of day with people when things don't go their way. Yet they're never that concerned with "fair play" as long as its only the other side that suffers. This format war has proved that compassion and tolerance around the web are in short supply.
That would be a good point, but the HD DVD fans say they love having the "advantage" of combo discs. That is probably a major reason why they provide combo discs for just about all new releases. No Blu-ray owner sees DD as something wanted over LPCM. To provide LPCM on one title and then not do it on the next is definitely and intentional playing favorites (if you did it once, you can do it again). Therefore, your "fair" comparison is not exactly...well...fair.
My Blu-ray/DVD Collection
PS3 Games: 34 + 20 PSN games
Sony PS3 60/160GB and 40GB
Sony KDSR70XBR2 HDTV
Sony STRDA5200ES 1080p Upconverting A/V Receiver
Old 03-26-2007, 09:15 AM   #16

Oct 2006

Bestbuy tries to push Blu-ray to sell the more expensive players. I know one of the Magnolian salesmen here in town & we talk all the time when I go in about things like that. I can see them getting more Blu-ray titles in.

Dolby TrueHD is equivalent to uncompressed audio on Blu-ray not Dolby Digital.

There is a huge difference. I buy titles based on the audio & video by title not format since I own both formats. In this case the HD DVD would be the better purchase. On "The Departed" it was even. One had uncompressed audio the other had Dolby TrueHD.

The only advantage the HD DVD disc had over the Blu-ray on that one was you could watch the standard DVD side in your portable DVD player if you're traveling.

I don't know why Warner doesn't use 1.5 M on the Dolby Digital like Paramount does on HD DVD discs. For some strange reason Paramount uses 1.5M Dolby Digital on HD DVD & 640 kbps Dolby Digital on Blu-ray. Who can figure why these companies do the things they do.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:48 AM   #17
Banned

Feb 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by marine92104 View Post
I don't know why Warner doesn't use 1.5 M on the Dolby Digital like Paramount does on HD DVD discs. For some strange reason Paramount uses 1.5M Dolby Digital on HD DVD & 640 kbps Dolby Digital on Blu-ray. Who can figure why these companies do the things they do.
Because Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus are two separate things. Dolby Digtal can't go higher than 640, where DD+ was designed with the ability to go much higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascended_Saiyan
That would be a good point, but the HD DVD fans say they love having the "advantage" of combo discs. That is probably a major reason why they provide combo discs for just about all new releases. No Blu-ray owner sees DD as something wanted over LPCM. To provide LPCM on one title and then not do it on the next is definitely and intentional playing favorites (if you did it once, you can do it again). Therefore, your "fair" comparison is not exactly...well...fair.
How do you figure? While some HD-DVD owners like the ability to have the combo, I'm sure others do not (I would rather have single sided discs over dual). Similarly, saying, "No Blu-ray owner sees DD as something wanted over LPCM" is a bit of an over-generalization, isn't it. Certainly Blu-ray owners without HDMI or analog-in receivers would rather have the traditional Dolby Digital track over a PCM (a complaint that come up with The Sopranos). Again, not all owners, but some. My point was just that people seem to cry, "whoa is me" without really looking at the big picture. In fact, the only guaranteed thing that is unfair, is that HD-DVD owners are made to pay more for a combo that they may or may not want. I just found it amusing that someone would say it's not a fair comparison (with an icon) because of the lack of lossless audio on one without referencing the higher retail price of the other. I actually think it's a rather balanced comparison for once. Each one has a negative that might impact its sales.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:31 AM   #18
Super Moderator

Jan 2005
Melbourne Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by marine92104 View Post
Bestbuy tries to push Blu-ray to sell the more expensive players. I know one of the Magnolian salesmen here in town & we talk all the time when I go in about things like that. I can see them getting more Blu-ray titles in.
Or maybe it may not be that simple, I don't know about the profit margins of HD-DVD vs Blu-ray but a large (Aus standards of size) chain store in Aus, (very similar to Best Buy only on a smaller scale) The recommended retail price for both Blu-ray and HD-DVD is almost the same, so that can have no bearing on it, however they have gone one step further and announced they will NOT be selling HD-DVD as they "don't want to sell $1,000 clocks"
Old 03-26-2007, 04:39 PM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2006
Atlanta, Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Ley View Post
Similarly, saying, "No Blu-ray owner sees DD as something wanted over LPCM" is a bit of an over-generalization, isn't it. Certainly Blu-ray owners without HDMI or analog-in receivers would rather have the traditional Dolby Digital track over a PCM (a complaint that come up with The Sopranos).
Owners that have receivers w/o analog inputs? Isn't that stretching things a bit? But, let's say that situation would be more than an anomaly. It still does not say DD is wanted OVER PCM. They just have to settle for it until they can do better. Therefore, having DD would be a band-aid for that very rare legacy support situation.

Quote:
My point was just that people seem to cry, "whoa is me" without really looking at the big picture.
I agree. I just don't agree that this is one of those times.
Quote:
In fact, the only guaranteed thing that is unfair, is that HD-DVD owners are made to pay more for a combo that they may or may not want.
That could be easily matched with the fact that 50GB BD are not used to capacity on Warner Bros. releases, but HD DVD 30GB discs are. Basically, Blu-ray is held to the lowest common denominator because of it's competition...except for the PiP functionality. But, then again, HD DVD is not being held back because Blu-ray does not have PiP functionality. Does that seem "fair"? To me, that is the big picture.

I digress. I believe this was more of an encode comparison of audio/video fairness. On that level, I fail to see the fairness.
Quote:
I actually think it's a rather balanced comparison for once. Each one has a negative that might impact its sales.
I knew I would have to pay more for a next generation format, so a cost increase was expected. However, having to settle for anything less than next-gen sound and video for that price was not. I think a lot of people feel that way and that's the position Warner Bros. is putting me (and others that feel as I do) in. IMO, that effects sales more. If people wanted to permanently settle for less, they would just have an HD DVD player.
My Blu-ray/DVD Collection
PS3 Games: 34 + 20 PSN games
Sony PS3 60/160GB and 40GB
Sony KDSR70XBR2 HDTV
Sony STRDA5200ES 1080p Upconverting A/V Receiver
Old 03-26-2007, 04:54 PM   #20
Site Manager

Aug 2006
USiberia

Happy Feet is a most excellent transfer, but the ported HD DVD encode max-bitrate limit showed up its head in a scene where BD's 40 Mb/s would have helped. A very fast, high contrast, moving scene. Just a tiny couple of seconds peak that HD DVD (and the HD DVD -> BD port) can't provide.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America