Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Fast & Furious 6 (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Gravity (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$16.98
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Rise of the Guardians (Blu-ray)
$10.00
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
High Plains Drifter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Intolerable Cruelty (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Planet Earth (Blu-ray)
$45.99
Gremlins (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Weird Science (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: Turtles in Time (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Old 11-13-2008, 06:05 PM   #21

Nov 2008

Quick question, i have posted the same post with different title in Blu ray players and Recorders forum. I couldnt find it, disappeared?

One more thing i selected AUTO option for Dynamic Range Compression on S550, options available are Auto, Standard, TV and Wide. Do i need to choose Wide?

Thanks

Last edited by zsultan; 11-13-2008 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:29 PM   #22

Oct 2008
Nutley, NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsultan View Post
Quick question, i have posted the same post with different title in Blu ray players and Recorders forum. I couldnt find it, disappeared?
it was probably merged with this thread.

Quote:
One more thing i selected AUTO option for Dynamic Range Compression on S550, options available are Auto, Standard, TV and Wide. Do i need to choose Wide?

Thanks
is there a way to turn it off?

on a side note, do you HAVE to keep the 550? what about trying the panasonic player? maybe that handle analog better?
Panasonic 58S1 Plasma
Tivo Series 3 l PS3 l Toshiba HD-A3 l Denon CD Player l Wii l Onkyo TT
Paradigm Millenia 200s/20cc/Atom v6 l HSU VTF-3 MK3
Yamaha RX-v1700 l APC 1500VA
Old 11-13-2008, 08:15 PM   #23

Nov 2008

No, i dont have to keep this player but most of the people are in the opinion that its a better player tha BD55, also i choose Sony because i will be burning my home videos as AVCHD disc on DVD-rs.

Dynamic Range Compression, i think if you select Wide its no compression. Will try wide.

Thanks
Old 11-13-2008, 09:02 PM   #24
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2007

Quote:
No, i dont have to keep this player but most of the people are in the opinion that its a better player tha BD55, also i choose Sony because i will be burning my home videos as AVCHD disc on DVD-rs.

Dynamic Range Compression, i think if you select Wide its no compression. Will try wide.

Thanks
You are correct, Wide is the proper setting.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:23 PM   #25
Super Moderator

Feb 2007
Orlando,FLA Relocated To: Lynchburg,VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackinhedz View Post
dynamic range control is set to off, or "wide" I think sony uses?
Old 11-14-2008, 02:31 AM   #26
Banned

Feb 2008
Magic Kingdom, FL
Send a message via AIM to ixlegitballinxl

ps3 or 550? hmmmmm

my ps3 collected dust once my 550 arrived... the choice is do you want gaming or not?

I prefer the 550 over Ps3 as a blu ray player.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:16 AM   #27

Nov 2008
Maui, HI

I too had low bass issues with using the analog outputs from my S550. I found a thread here last week that talked about this issue. Apparently, the playerís analog subwoofer output is set 10dB lower than all the other channels, even though they all show the same (0dB) in the speaker level setup screen. Iím not sure if this issue exists for just the S550 or all players in general.
The fix for me was to set my receiverís SW output level to +10dB. Another work-around would be to set all channels 10dB lower than the SW in the playerís speaker level setup screen.
Also, under BD Audio you must select DIRECT for the player to output the lossless audio. Through experimentation, I found that by using the MIX option, the player actually ďdowngradedĒ DTS HD MA 7.1 to the core DTS 5.1. You can verify what codec the player is outputting by pressing Display on your remote while watching a movie.

IMO, lossless audio is far superior to lossy. There's more sound "information", especially in the surronds. I watched Master & Commander one night and couldn't believe my ears. It sounded like I was actually on the ship. I hope any of this helps.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:04 AM   #28
Banned

Feb 2008
Magic Kingdom, FL
Send a message via AIM to ixlegitballinxl

i keep hearing about Master and Commander's audio.... im going to pick this up to hear what all the rave is about

if you like gaming, get the ps3
if you rather have hd audio w/o having to buy a receiver that can decode
go with the 550
Old 02-27-2009, 03:17 PM   #29

Feb 2009

Hi,
I just found this forum through Googling my current issues. It sounds similar to what zsultan, IvenFaint and Sciatti have experienced. Iím convinced there is something wrong with my machine.
I was running the S550 connected with Digital coaxial to a Marantz SR6200 amp. The sound was great but I wanted to be able to play the HD sound so I purchased some good quality analogue cables and have connected them to the 7.1 analogue input on my amp. For me itís almost as if the Low Frequency channel is not working. When I do the test tone from the S550 I can just about hear it. If I do Sciattiís fix of turning down the other channels by -10db it gets louder but still not the same force as it has in digital mode.
Iíve spent hours playing around with the sound and settings on both the player and the amp to no avail.
Iíve called Sony, but they couldnít care less. Iím a bit gutted as Iíve just spent a lot on some analogue cables.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Shermy
Old 02-27-2009, 05:16 PM   #30
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shermy View Post
Hi,
I just found this forum through Googling my current issues. It sounds similar to what zsultan, IvenFaint and Sciatti have experienced. I’m convinced there is something wrong with my machine.
I was running the S550 connected with Digital coaxial to a Marantz SR6200 amp. The sound was great but I wanted to be able to play the HD sound so I purchased some good quality analogue cables and have connected them to the 7.1 analogue input on my amp. For me it’s almost as if the Low Frequency channel is not working. When I do the test tone from the S550 I can just about hear it. If I do Sciatti’s fix of turning down the other channels by -10db it gets louder but still not the same force as it has in digital mode.
I’ve spent hours playing around with the sound and settings on both the player and the amp to no avail.
I’ve called Sony, but they couldn’t care less. I’m a bit gutted as I’ve just spent a lot on some analogue cables.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Shermy
as far as I know the analog cables don't do dts hd ma or trueHD... for our 4th player we went with the s550 instead of the ps3, the load times are good not ps3 speed but good(much MUCH better then the aquos) and I have yet to find a movie that the s550 doesn't play.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:28 PM   #31

Nov 2008
Maui, HI

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersix4 View Post
as far as I know the analog cables don't do dts hd ma or trueHD... for our 4th player we went with the s550 instead of the ps3, the load times are good not ps3 speed but good(much MUCH better then the aquos) and I have yet to find a movie that the s550 doesn't play.
Not true. I enjoy superb lossless audio (DTS HD MA/DD trueHD) in the analog realm, thanks to crackinhedz. In fact its so good, I don't see HDMI being that much better.

The problem with analog is bass management. It needs to be controlled by your receiver. I found a setting in my Denon for Ext. In Subwoofer Setting with +5db, +10db, and +15 db options. I set it to +15db and no more low bass problems.
Emotiva: UMC-1 | UPA-7 | ERC-1
Polk: RTiA7's, RTiA5's, CSiA4 | SVS PC12-NSD sub
Sony BDP-S550 | Philips 52" 1080p | Kordz EVS HDMI Cables
Harmony One - One Remote to Rule Them All
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion