COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Audio Signature Classical Collection (Blu-ray)
$144.01
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Battle Royale (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Inside Llewyn Davis (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Source Code (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gangs of New York (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Smurfs 2 (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Oldboy (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Los Angeles Kings: 2014 Stanley Cup Champions (Blu-ray)
$20.95
Pacific Rim (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$74.35
Leviathan (Blu-ray)
$15.89
Cuban Fury (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Last Vegas (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Jaws (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Curtains (Blu-ray)
$17.47
Last Action Hero (Blu-ray)
$5.19
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$22.99
The Big Chill (Blu-ray)
$27.59

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 11-13-2008, 01:51 PM   #1

Jan 2008
Chesapeake, VA
Question English Subtitles VS English SDH

As a person with a hearing impairment, I normally watch my BD's with the subtitles on. I'm just curious about one thing. Some movies have BOTH an English Subtitle option AND an English SDH (Subtitles for the Deaf and Hearing Impaired).

What's the difference?
Sony BDP-S570
Panasonic TH-50PZ77U
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K
Harmony One
Old 11-13-2008, 02:01 PM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Framingham, MA

The SDH version includes sound effects in the subtitles, i.e. (music playing),(dog barks),(baby farts), etc.
Pioneer Elite KURO PRO-1150HD
Sony Playstation 4
Oppo BDP-83
Old 11-13-2008, 02:07 PM   #3
Banned

Sep 2008
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpkelley View Post
The SDH version includes sound effects in the subtitles, i.e. (music playing),(dog barks),(baby farts), etc.
What movie was that in?
Old 11-13-2008, 02:08 PM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Framingham, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejet View Post
What movie was that in?
I was being sarcastic, but probably in almost every episode of Family Guy
Pioneer Elite KURO PRO-1150HD
Sony Playstation 4
Oppo BDP-83
Old 11-13-2008, 02:11 PM   #5

Jan 2008
Chesapeake, VA

I kind of figured it was along those lines. Thanks for the confirmation.

And I am SO grateful for those studios who include SDH tracks so that I WON'T miss any baby farts.
Sony BDP-S570
Panasonic TH-50PZ77U
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K
Harmony One
Old 11-13-2008, 02:21 PM   #6

Apr 2008
Germany

Sadly there are only very rare but excellent examples of what blu-ray is capable of in these particular matters:
Subtitles with different colours per speaker!
Know what I mean?
Person A "speaks" in red letters, person B answers in blue etc...
And furthermore these subtitles are shown at different places on the screen depending
on whether the actor is standing on the left or right or whatsoever.
This is what I'd call a perfect utilisation of blu-rays capabilities!

Unfortunately I don't remember the title(s) right now....
Old 11-13-2008, 05:35 PM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2006
Ontario, Canada

Honestly, I'll rather just have one colour for the subtitles. I'm deaf and I've watched TV programs where they assign colours to identify the speaker. I don't care for it. I remember watching Life on Mars, the original BBC program on a Canadian channel. They did something like that.

I can follow a movie just fine with a single-coloured SDH track. Plus, not all colours are equally readable. For instance, dark blue and red requires more focus to read compared to yellow and white.

Besides, one of my pet peeves is that they sometimes leave out the lyrics in the SDH track. I know some people claimed it's due to the copyright issues, but that's not true. When you caption a movie, you are supposed to include all of the information including the lyrics. Anybody who caption movies for a living would tell you that.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:16 PM   #8

Aug 2010
Ontario

I agree. I dont like colour subtitles. It's common in Europe and I assume they are accustomed to it.

North America arent accustomed to it.

I am grateful for CC style SDHs from Sony and Paramount. However, we need to continue our fight for other companies to include positioning with SDHs..

Having all text in the middle can confuse the viewer on who is speaking if two person are speaking rapidly back and forth. Who said what?

This is one of my biggest pet peeve, for this reason, I typically stick with CC if SDH is in the middle, then I use 480i. If SDH is CC style then I use 1080p. It sucks and movie makers please stop making deaf and hard of hearing population suffer and lag behind the general population.

(PS yes I realize this is old post, but I want to put my 2 cents in).
Old 04-18-2011, 02:38 PM   #9

Apr 2011

I am hearing impaired myself (not deaf), and I use plain english subtitles 99% of the time. SDH tracks are fine, but I also think they should be in one color only - and if they are placed according to the speaker, all subtitles should be at the same height and at the bottom of the screen.

The MOST annoying thing I have experienced in relating to SDH subtitles is if they are jumping all over the screen and if they are the only option for subtitles (no plain english and no nothing else).

This has happened on a few blurays which are very important to me: alien anthology (all movies), and Inception. Immensely annoying! Just because the technical possibility is there, does not mean you should use it like a 5-year old kid.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:19 AM   #10

Aug 2011
European Union

When I see the following texts in the English subtitle of a certain movie, then can that subtitle be considered an English SDH subtitle?:

[train horn]
[man]
[woman]
[blues harmonica]
[static]
[choir singing "Rock of Ages"]

etc.

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2014, 10:53 AM   #11

Sep 2012

The most awful subtitles I own are with the DROP DEAD DIVA dvds. There is a black box with the white/yellow subs inside. It takes up so much screen-space.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:19 PM   #12

Jan 2008
Chesapeake, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by casspir View Post
When I see the following texts in the English subtitle of a certain movie, then can that subtitle be considered an English SDH subtitle?:

[train horn]
[man]
[woman]
[blues harmonica]
[static]

etc.

Thanks!
Yep. Those are good examples of SDH. I certainly choose them when they're an option. Otherwise, it's kind of funny when a character cocks their head with that "do you hear that?" look. Sometimes, the sound is so subtle, I have no idea what they're reacting to.

My wife and I sometimes laugh at the SDH though. [intimidating music]
Sony BDP-S570
Panasonic TH-50PZ77U
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K
Harmony One
Old 02-19-2014, 05:09 PM   #13

Aug 2011
European Union

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnowels View Post
Yep. Those are good examples of SDH. I certainly choose them when they're an option. Otherwise, it's kind of funny when a character cocks their head with that "do you hear that?" look. Sometimes, the sound is so subtle, I have no idea what they're reacting to.

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2014, 11:50 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2010
Fife? Where the hell is FIFE?!?!?

I use subtitles a lot when watching television at night and I have to say I feel sorry for the hearing impaired at times. Because some of the subtitles, be it streaming, television or BD it is just horrible. Now I'm sure they might have additional equipment, but still, damn, get it together.
Do you really have something to say or are you just in love with the sound of your keyboard?

Last edited by The_Donster; 02-21-2014 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:59 PM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2012
USA

Quote:

[train horn]
[man]
[woman]
[blues harmonica]
[static]

etc.

Thanks!
Quote:

Years ago DreamWorks caught a huge amount of flack when they released the Ghost in the Shell sequel Innocence on DVD, and the only English subtitles were an SDH track.
"We got this, man! We got this by the ass!"
Old 02-20-2014, 12:17 PM   #16

Jan 2008
Chesapeake, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Donster View Post
I use subtitles a lot when watching television at night and I have to say I feel sorry for the hearing impaired at times. Because some of the subtitles, be it streaming, television or streaming it is just horrible. Now I'm sure they might have additional equipment, but still, damn, get it together.
That's actually Closed Captioning, which is different from Subtitles. But yeah, it is horrible!
Sony BDP-S570
Panasonic TH-50PZ77U
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K
Harmony One
Old 02-20-2014, 12:33 PM   #17

Aug 2011
European Union

Quote:
That's actually Closed Captioning, which is different from Subtitles. But yeah, it is horrible!
What's the difference between close captioning and subtitles? Why do they use close captioning, what is the purpose of it? It is indeed horrible.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:03 PM   #18

Jan 2008
Chesapeake, VA

Quote:
What's the difference between close captioning and subtitles? Why do they use close captioning, what is the purpose of it? It is indeed horrible.
I'm sure others could explain it better. All I know is what I've picked up from looking into it myself.

But close-captioning is obviously used for live shows like the news. That's where you can actually see them hitting the backspace to correct what was typed.

But CC can also be pre-recorded and put on DVDs. In fact, the DVD seasons of Farscape have CC, but not subtitles. The TV or DVD player has to have a CC decoder to be able to display them. They come in via Line 21 or something like that.

The interesting thing is that CC can not be used if you're watching a Progressive-Scan input source. I guess because the Line 21 is used for image data in Progressive mode.

When I watch Farscape, I have to turn my DVD players Progressive-scan off, so that I can get the CC.

It's all kind of weird. Nowadays, subtitles have all but replaced CC on media, except via broadcast TV.
Sony BDP-S570
Panasonic TH-50PZ77U
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K
Harmony One
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies