COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$129.99
The Dark Knight Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$38.99
God's Not Dead (Blu-ray)
$17.29
The Big Chill (Blu-ray)
$27.59
Man of Steel Exclusive Action Figure Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Man of Steel Limited Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
$24.99
My Week with Marilyn (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Mr. Peabody & Sherman 3D (Blu-ray)
$30.98
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Love Lab: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$37.28
Noah (Blu-ray)
$17.99
X-Men and the Wolverine Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Last Action Hero (Blu-ray)
$7.98
Kill Bill: 1 & 2 Double Feature (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (Blu-ray)
$11.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Marvel Bundle (Blu-ray)
$64.99
Samurai Bride: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
The Legend of Billie Jean (Blu-ray)
$7.98

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 11-17-2008, 04:26 PM   #1
Expert Member

Jun 2008
Greendale, WI
Send a message via AIM to RIKANA
Default What Regions can Blu-ray players play?

"typing this on my iPod sorry for spelling mistakes. Will fix latter"

I'm not to sure if we have a thread for this, sorry if we do.

I have a panisonic BD-10A Blu-ray player. What regions can be played? Will I need to put in a code or will it play automaticly? I am thinking of geting a boxset that is region 2. Thanks for the help.

RI
RIKANA is pronounced REE KA NA.

My Nintendo 3DS FC[PM me yours]
"Gena" Friend code: 5155-2912-3673

Take a look at my BD collection

RI
Old 11-17-2008, 05:49 PM   #2

Aug 2008

This depends on where you bought it. When you mention region-2, you are referring to the 6 existing DVD regions (BD regions are A, B or C). No BD-player will come out-of-the-box as region-free for BD nowadays. So, what is your question really?

Please use the search function as well, you'll find a lot of info about making BD-players region-free (usually hardware-modification only, no software-hack for the BD-regions).

Finally, you basically have 3 options: 1.) buy a PC and use software (like Any-DVD-HD), 2.) buy a completely modified BD-player (f.i. from BlurayMods.com), or 3.) buy a hardware modification-kit for an existing player (although I couldn't find one for Pana's BD10).

Good luck!

Last edited by gekke henkie; 11-17-2008 at 05:52 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:43 PM   #3
Expert Member

Jun 2008
Greendale, WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by gekke henkie View Post
This depends on where you bought it. When you mention region-2, you are referring to the 6 existing DVD regions (BD regions are A, B or C). No BD-player will come out-of-the-box as region-free for BD nowadays. So, what is your question really?

Please use the search function as well, you'll find a lot of info about making BD-players region-free (usually hardware-modification only, no software-hack for the BD-regions).

Finally, you basically have 3 options: 1.) buy a PC and use software (like Any-DVD-HD), 2.) buy a completely modified BD-player (f.i. from BlurayMods.com), or 3.) buy a hardware modification-kit for an existing player (although I couldn't find one for Pana's BD10).

Good luck!
The regions for blu-ray are ez to rember for the ones I need! thank you thou. No I was talking about regular deff DVD (rdDVD) witch happens to be region two. my question was will the blu-ray player (panisonic BD-10A Blu-ray player) I have be able to play a dvd(s) from Japan? I know that for blu-ray japan is regon A along with us. also will my BD player play rdDVDs at a better PQ/AQ. will I half to cange the setings?

thanks for the help.

RI

RI

Last edited by RIKANA; 11-17-2008 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:39 PM   #4

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIKANA View Post
will the blu-ray player (...) I have be able to play a dvd from Japan? (...) will I half to cange the setings?
I am sorry to disappoint you, but as far as I know, almost all current BD-players are region locked for 1 BD-region and 1 DVD-region, so you will NOT be able to play a DVD from a different region. To make it even worse: No, you cannot change this in the settings (except some hacked LG-players).

Conclusion, if you want to play discs (BD and/or DVD) from different regions, you cannot do this with your current BD-player and, therefore, you will need to buy one of the options I mentioned in my former post. There might be more possibilities I don't know about, so maybe other forum users will post something that can help you better.

Of course, if you are only interested in playing DVD's from another region, you could buy a cheap DVD-player online in addition to your current BD-player, but you'll have to live with 2 boxes.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:08 PM   #5
Expert Member

Jun 2008
Greendale, WI

Quote:
I am sorry to disappoint you, but as far as I know, almost all current BD-players are region locked for 1 BD-region and 1 DVD-region, so you will NOT be able to play a DVD from a different region. To make it even worse: No, you cannot change this in the settings (except some hacked LG-players).

Conclusion, if you want to play discs (BD and/or DVD) from different regions, you cannot do this with your current BD-player and, therefore, you will need to buy one of the options I mentioned in my former post. There might be more possibilities I don't know about, so maybe other forum users will post something that can help you better.

Of course, if you are only interested in playing DVD's from another region, you could buy a cheap DVD-player online in addition to your current BD-player, but you'll have to live with 2 boxes.

I got mine a year or two ago. Thanks for all your help. Also I can't get the Japanese 5.1 option on my batman begains. Could you help me out or was that option a miss prent. I have updated my player with the reasiont fermwere.

Also is it true that Blu-ray players can make the picture qulity better? How?

RI

RI

Last edited by RIKANA; 11-17-2008 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:56 PM   #6

Aug 2008
Default I'll try to explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIKANA View Post
I can't get the Japanese 5.1 option on my batman begains.

Also is it true that Blu-ray players can make the picture qulity better?
1.) I don't know if you are talking about the Batman Begins BD or DVD and I also don't know where you bought it / which distribution-release it is. Secondly, I don't know the BD10-menu. Does anybody else here has a BD10?

2.) Well, yes and no; I'll try to explain it simple (not technical correct though).
No, because a BD-player cannot make more from the information that's stored on the disk (garbage-in equals garbage-out). But yes, it can try to make it appear nicer on your screen, by tweaking/changing and 'enhancing'/adding information. The biggest gain you get is when you 'up-convert' the stored 480p-signal on a DVD (480 lines of information) to a 1080p-signal, by adding information between the existing lines. To keep it simple: when 1 line on your DVD shows a red dot and the next line shows a blue dot, instead of seeing two red dots next to the blue dots on your HD-screen, you will see 1 red, 1 purple, and the blue. The result is a picture less 'blocked' and more 'smooth'; if you like that better, that is. Does this make sense to you?

Last edited by gekke henkie; 11-17-2008 at 10:59 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:15 PM   #7
Expert Member

Jun 2008
Greendale, WI

Quote:
1.) I don't know if you are talking about the Batman Begins BD or DVD and I also don't know where you bought it / which distribution-release it is. Secondly, I don't know the BD10-menu. Does anybody else here has a BD10?

2.) Well, yes and no; I'll try to explain it simple (not technical correct though).
No, because a BD-player cannot make more from the information that's stored on the disk (garbage-in equals garbage-out). But yes, it can try to make it appear nicer on your screen, by tweaking/changing and 'enhancing'/adding information. The biggest gain you get is when you 'up-convert' the stored 480p-signal on a DVD (480 lines of information) to a 1080p-signal, by adding information between the existing lines. To keep it simple: when 1 line on your DVD shows a red dot and the next line shows a blue dot, instead of seeing two red dots next to the blue dots on your HD-screen, you will see 1 red, 1 purple, and the blue. The result is a picture less 'blocked' and more 'smooth'; if you like that better, that is. Does this make sense to you?
A little bit! Thanks

I'll leave this thread open a little longer.

RI

RI
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders