Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Congo (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$92.19
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Manhunter (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Ace Ventura: Pet Detective / Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls (Blu-ray)
$9.99
How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Blu-ray)
$19.98
Ghost in the Shell: Arise: Borders 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$25.87
Gamera HD Bundle Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99
A Certain Magical Index II: Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$43.99
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software

Old 04-08-2012, 04:07 PM   #161
Banned

Apr 2012

WinDVD BD for VAIO - will play older BDs.
WinDVD 9 Plus Blu-ray - will play all I have thrown at it: No BD-Live.[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-20-2012, 12:34 AM   #162
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007

Brief PowerDVD Ultra 12 comments

I had an exclusive brief review on this website for PowerDVD 12 Ultra that was lost during the Blu-ray.com database outage. I do not have time to re-write the review.

Blu-ray.com had a database lost where around 7 weeks of forum posts were completely lost.

In summary PowerDVD Ultra 12 is Cyberlink’s best Blu-ray computer software player yet. Since the Microsoft Ultimate versions of Windows already plays DVD’s with no third party software needed I am surprised that the software is still called PowerDVD Ultra. Windows cannot play Blu-rays without special third party software and that is what is special about PowerDVD Ultra 12 software and other third party Blu-ray player software packages. In the future Cyberlink should change the name of future versions of the Blu-ray software to say “Blu-ray player Ultra 13” or “PowerBlu-ray Ultra 13”. If they would have the Blu-ray name in the title they would sell more software.

Also this PowerDVD Ultra 12 software still has no 24P setting in the menu. The software is adding 3:2 pulldown to the 1080p/24 native movies. When the graphics card receives the 1080P/60 video signal with 3:2 pulldown then some graphics cards have the ability to do a reverse 3:2 pulldown and output at 1080p/24 to an external display. The ideal Blu-ray software package should have a 24P button that allows the software to send native 1080P/24 to the graphics card in order to bypass the 3:2 pulldown process completely.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:16 AM   #163

Jun 2012
Default More Blu-ray Player for Mac and Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackinhedz View Post
are there any other software packages that play bluray?

...thought this thread would be helpful for those who do not know what programs to use.
The latest Blu-ray playing software for both Mac and Windows:
1. CyberLink PowerDVD 12
• Blu-ray 3D playback
• Enjoy 2D Videos & Photo Slideshows in 3D!
• Watch Youtube, Facebook and Flickr media
• 30 days free trial, only windows version
2. WinDVD Pro 11
• DVD and Blu-ray™ player software
• New Blu-ray 3D™ support
• Convert 2D to 3D video
• 30 days free trial, only windows version
3. TotalMedia Theatre 5
• Play Blu-ray, DVD, HD video, SD video, audio and photos
• Play Blu-ray 3D movies
• Convert 2D video/image to 3D
• 15 days free trial, only windows version
4. Macgo Blu-ray player
• The first blu-ray player that can support both Mac & Windows
• Support playback of Blu-ray or DVD movies in ISO image format
• Make Blu-ray playable on iPhone/iPad/iPod touch
• Free trial without time limitation, but watermarked when commercial BD playback, both Mac and Windows version available
5. DVDFab Media Player
• Blu-ray Playback
• Free play of Blu-ray ISO files, folders and other video files
• Automatically collect the movie info from internet
• 60 days free trial for commercial Blu-ray, both Mac and Windows version available
6. VLC Media Player
• Runs on all platforms: Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, Unix...
• Free, only playback unprotected Blu-rays, both Mac and Windows version available
7. Nero Blu-ray HD-DVD Video Plug-In
• HD DVD-Video Playback
• Blu-ray Disc Playback/Authoring on BD-RE 2.0 / BD-R 1.0
• AACS Playback
• Free, but need Nero installed, only windows
Old 07-29-2012, 11:14 PM   #164

Mar 2012

4. Macgo Blu-ray player
• The first blu-ray player that can support both Mac & Windows
• Support playback of Blu-ray or DVD movies in ISO image format
• Make Blu-ray playable on iPhone/iPad/iPod touch
• Free trial without time limitation, but watermarked when commercial BD playback, both Mac and Windows version available

PC
fail, fail, fail on commercial BD.
worked with BD files.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:50 PM   #165
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2007
Limbo

I have the first Sony bd drive in my pc. I know its old but it works well for me. The OEM software is out of date and no longer supported. The PC drive is not my main player and I needed something simple and basic to play blus. I found that vlc does play blu rays. I just played the avengers I got from target. I got tips to make it work by adding a couple files.

My question is,
is this legal?
PSN: un4gvn2 LIVE: un4givn2

SPOOOON!!

My music collection
Old 11-14-2012, 01:30 PM   #166

Dec 2007

Andrew Robinson of Home Theater Review has posted a review of JRiver and has given it 5 stars all around! Here's a link to the review:
http://hometheaterreview.com/jriver-...ware-reviewed/
Klipsch Cornwall L/R, Klipsch Heresy center, Definitive Technology BP2's (x4) rear, Wharfedale sw380 Subs (x2), SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2-8 inch transmission line Subs (rear), Yamaha power Amps mx830 (x2), Adcom 5503 3 channel power amp, Behringer EP4000 Power amp, BD HTPC, Xonar Essence ST/H6 modified Burson Supreme Discreet Opamps, Da-lite 16:9 106" Screen, BenQ 3D Projector, LG 55 inch LED TV.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:07 PM   #167
Expert Member

Jan 2008

I would like to put transfer my blus to my ps3 but the jriver seems to be only PC, correct? If I transfer them to hard drive the ps3 doesnt recognize ntfs format. do I physically need them on a disc? Want to make sure I follow protocol and protect the blus I own. Thanks guys!
Epson 8350 1080p Projector l Onkyo 605 7.1 Receiver l PS3 Slim 120gb l Polk CS1 l Polk R50 Monitors l Polk PSW450
Polk Monitor 30 Side Surrounds and Rear Surrounds l 106" Elite Screens VMAX Motorized Screen l Harmony 670 Remote l DirecTv H23 HD DVR l APC C5 Power Filter
Bedroom: Polk CSi25 l Polk PSW110 l Klipsch Quintet III (Monitor/Rears) l Samsung FP-T5094W 50" 1080p Plasma l PS3 60gb (Release Day)
l DirecTV HR21 l Onkyo 606 7.1 Receiver l Harmony 520 Remote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:52 PM   #168

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRMA View Post
I would like to put transfer my blus to my ps3 but the jriver seems to be only PC, correct? If I transfer them to hard drive the ps3 doesnt recognize ntfs format. do I physically need them on a disc? Want to make sure I follow protocol and protect the blus I own. Thanks guys!
JRiver MC18 is for PC and Mac. We do not discuss the ripping of BD's on this site (against site policy). However, you can play your BD's via the disc with JRiver. I can put the disc in and it will just play.
Klipsch Cornwall L/R, Klipsch Heresy center, Definitive Technology BP2's (x4) rear, Wharfedale sw380 Subs (x2), SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2-8 inch transmission line Subs (rear), Yamaha power Amps mx830 (x2), Adcom 5503 3 channel power amp, Behringer EP4000 Power amp, BD HTPC, Xonar Essence ST/H6 modified Burson Supreme Discreet Opamps, Da-lite 16:9 106" Screen, BenQ 3D Projector, LG 55 inch LED TV.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:03 PM   #169
Expert Member

Jan 2008

roger that, my bad.
Epson 8350 1080p Projector l Onkyo 605 7.1 Receiver l PS3 Slim 120gb l Polk CS1 l Polk R50 Monitors l Polk PSW450
Polk Monitor 30 Side Surrounds and Rear Surrounds l 106" Elite Screens VMAX Motorized Screen l Harmony 670 Remote l DirecTv H23 HD DVR l APC C5 Power Filter
Bedroom: Polk CSi25 l Polk PSW110 l Klipsch Quintet III (Monitor/Rears) l Samsung FP-T5094W 50" 1080p Plasma l PS3 60gb (Release Day)
l DirecTV HR21 l Onkyo 606 7.1 Receiver l Harmony 520 Remote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:06 AM   #170
Banned

Dec 2012

The picture quality was excellent using WinDVD Plus 9.0 just like every other software player I tried in this faceoff. Corel WinDVD Plus 9.0 does not work with Vista's Autoplay feature like all the other software packages do when playing BLU-RAY discs. For example instead of the BLU-RAY discs automatically starting when inserted the disc, one needs to manually click on the desktop icon after inserting a BLU-RAY disc. One thing that disappointed me about this software is that I could never get the automatic update feature to work. When I had problems playing back Kill Bill on BLU-RAY I had to manually go to the Corel website and install an update patch since the product update feature when clicked on would always display the message "There are no updates available at this time." Once the patch was manually installed, most the problems with Kill Bill were solved. WinDVD plays profile 1.0 and profile 1.1 bonus view picture and picture BLU-RAY

Last edited by hljoo8; 12-18-2012 at 08:08 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:16 AM   #171

Jan 2012

PowerDVD 12 has proven to unreliable for me to continue trying to use. Can someone possibly recommend a more reliable driver?

Update,

I downloaded a demo of Total Media Theater 5 this morning and had excellent results. All the bds that had been refusing to play with PowerDVD 12 all played perfectly on Total Media. I'm curious, have other had such positive results using Total Media as well?

Last edited by Robert W; 12-29-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:56 AM   #172

Aug 2012
Default The Ultimate BLU-RAY player software

iDeer Blu-ray player
1.Play all Blu-ray, DVD, iso files, videos, photos and music
as a Ultimate Media Player
2.HD video player without any quality loss
3.Blu-ray Player for Mac and Windows PC
4.Play Blu-ray on iPhone/iPad /iPod touch
5.Share movie or video with friends
anywhere and anytime. Facebook and Twitter are both supported.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:10 AM   #173
richy123

Default The Ultimate BLU-RAY player software faceoff (4 different computer software packages

Hi
wonderful overview you given...
Old 03-14-2013, 07:55 AM   #174
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by richy123 View Post
Hi
wonderful overview you given...
Thanks. The information is a few years old now, so some of it is outdated.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:24 PM   #175

Mar 2013
Default re:The ultimate BLU-RAY player software

UFUSoft Blu-ray Player, the best and easy-to-use player for Blu-ray and video files, can help users enjoy any Blu-ray disc, Blu-ray folder, ISO files and popular video files at home.

http://www.ufusoft.com/blu-ray-player/

* Play Blu-ray disc, Blu-ray folder and ISO files.
* Support playing popular video files.
* Bring users 1080P HD video watching experience.
* Play blu-ray movies with DTS HD or Dolby TrueHD Audio.
* Support Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows XP, Win Vista, etc.

Last edited by oppono; 06-27-2013 at 03:10 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:49 PM   #176
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007

PowerDVD Ultra 13 brief review comments

I have now had the chance to use PowerDVD 13 Ultra. I purchased the retail box version that comes with a stamped CD-ROM and printed instruction manual (PDF instructions are also located on the CD-ROM). Even though the list price is $99.95 for PowerDVD 13 Ultra, some online dealers are selling it for around $89.95 including shipping. So the retail box version can be purchased cheaper than the download version. PowerBlu-ray Ultra 13 would be a better name, since consumers would know right away that this product is a Blu-ray player software program for use with computer BD-ROM drives.

I normally start out with the negatives first in my reviews and then get to the positives. PowerDVD 13 Ultra software just like all other Blu-ray player software does not have a button to send native 1080p/24 to the computer graphics cards that support native 1080p/24 output. It still appears that in 2013 all Blu-ray player software programs still convert 1080p/24 to 1080P 60Hz and then the consumer graphics card is required to do a reverse 3:2 pulldown to convert 1080P 60Hz back to 1080P/24. Converting to 60HZ and then converting back to 24Hz can cause artifacts. In the future, the ideal Blu-ray player software program should have a 24P button that can send native 1080p/24 to compatible graphics cards.

For those that own a 4K Quad HD display the computer graphics card is the item that does the conversion from 1080P to Quad HD. There is no special resolution button in the PowerDVD 13 Ultra software to switch to QUAD HD. So just like any Blu-ray computer software one will need to adjust the resolution setting in Windows depending on the computer monitor or HD display being used.

One advantage of all Blu-ray player software players including PowerDVD 13 Ultra is that region free DVD and region free Blu-ray discs that contain 50Hz PAL signals will be converted and upscaled to 1080P 60Hz. Also 1080i 50Hz region free Blu-ray discs will be converted to 1080P at 60Hz. The computer graphics cards and PC Blu-ray players are an ideal way for consumers to watch imported region free DVD’s and Blu-ray discs. Most standalone Blu-ray players in the United States cannot convert 50Hz video to 60Hz video.

Another advantage of PowerDVD 13 Ultra and PowerDVD 12 Ultra is that it allows consumers to play exclusive 3-D Blu-ray content in 2-D without needing to own a 3-D display. I am not talking about the 3-D Blu-ray movie discs that contain both a 2-D and 3-D version of the movie on the same Blu-ray disc. There is certain Blu-ray 3-D discs that when played in a standalone Blu-ray 3-D player and when connected to a 2-D display will pop up a message on the screen to notify consumers that the Blu-ray disc cannot be played since the consumer does not own 3-D equipment. Studios have been coming out with certain Blu-ray 3-D movies that contain exclusive 3-D bonus content that is not available on the 2-D Blu-ray disc versions. So what is special about PowerDVD 13 Ultra and PowerDVD 12 Ultra is that it will convert locked Blu-ray 3-D discs that were only designed to play in 3-D to 2-D quality for those consumers that have not upgraded to a 3-D display yet. For example the Amazing Spiderman on Blu-ray 3-D will not play on the OPPO BDP-93 when connected to 2-D equipment (the only thing that is visible is a screen that mentions that 3-D equipment is required). However if one places The Amazing Spider-Man 3-D Blu-ray disc in PowerDVD Ultra 13 or PowerDVD Ultra 12 the software will detect that only a 2-D display is connected and will convert the 3-D image to 2-D and allow the movie and exclusive 3-D bonus feature to be played (One must check the box “Enable Blu-ray 3D support” in the software settings of PowerDVD Ultra 13).

When testing PowerDVD Ultra 13 I used both a fast desktop PC with a Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit edition Experience Index of 7.8 (7.9 for sold state drive) and a fast Notebook computer with a Windows Experience index of 6.3 (7.8 for sold state drive). Installing PowerDVD Ultra 13 from CD-ROM was extremely fast. PowerDVD Ultra 13 comes with BD-LIVE disabled to increase loading speed of Blu-ray discs. However since I always like using BD-LIVE, I enabled the BD-LIVE feature by checking the option “Enable network for BD-LIVE”. Also by default PowerDVD Ultra 13 limits the BD-LIVE and Blu-ray java storage area size to only 1GB. However, I have found that when one wants to download all the bonus features and trailers that 4GB or larger space is needed. So if one unchecks the “Limit the size of the cache storage to” option then the cache storage will use up to the entire space of the computer drive. Also PowerDVD Ultra 13 allows consumers to clear the cache storage area with a push of the “Clear Cache” button.

PowerDVD Ultra 13 had extremely fast Blu-ray disc loading times even with BD-LIVE enabled. Much faster loading speed when compared to a standalone Blu-ray player. Some consumers might consider the OPPO and Panasonic Blu-ray players to offer fast BD-LIVE performance, however when compared to Power DVD Ultra 13 all standalone Blu-ray players BD-LIVE performance is slow. What can sometimes take literally minutes to do on the OPPO Blu-ray players with BD-LIVE, took less than a second with Power DVD Ultra 13. The BD-LIVE feature on a fast desktop or fast Notebooks has always been the best experience. Those that complain about using BD-LIVE on standalone Blu-ray players, should use PowerDVD Ultra 13 for all their BD-LIVE download and streaming activity.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:38 PM   #177
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2013
Papua New Guinea

I had PowerDVD 9 on my old laptop. Just got a new Asus and needed to upgrade to a new player software too. I've been happiest with the trial of PowerDVD 13 Ultra and will make the purchase as soon as the trial period ends next week.
Living Room HT (In Papua New Guinea) Toshiba 40-inch 1080p (40L2200U); Sony BDP-S5100 region free player; Yamaha RX-V373 5.1 receiver; Polk Monitor 45B's; Polk Monitor 15C; Polk T15's; Harmony 650 remote

My Other Living Room HT (in storage in the States) Panasonic DMP-BDT220 player; Onkyo HT-S5600 7.1 HT speaker system w/ receiver

Last edited by cricepng; 05-06-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:34 PM   #178
superjunilie

ARCsoft much more efficient. It's great. thank you for share. .
Old 05-28-2014, 04:13 AM   #179
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2008
Canada

PowrDVD 14 Ultra Full Version has 20% off right now $79.99 USD or CAD, if you are American you can pay in Canadian dollars making it even cheaper.
It was supposed to end Yesterday, but the promo is still on.
Vudu Credits available. Contact me for whats currently available.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:30 AM   #180
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007

PowerDVD Ultra 14 is what I am currently using, it’s a small improvement compared to last years PowerDVD Ultra 13 version.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software