Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
The Addams Family (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Willow (Blu-ray)
$10.01
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
Van Damme 5-Movie Action Pack (Blu-ray)
$45.99
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.92
Begin Again (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Blu-ray)
$10.39
Hentai Prince & the Stony Cat: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$35.98
Sherlock: The Complete Seasons 1-3 (Blu-ray)
$136.29
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion

Old 12-05-2008, 07:22 PM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Framingham, MA
Default Blue Jeans Cable to Donate Sales Profits for Monster Mini Golf Lawsuit

That Monster mashing Lawyer is at it again.

Quote:
Blue Jeans Cable to Donate Sales Profits for Monster Mini Golf Lawsuit
by Gene DellaSala last modified December 05, 2008 07:30

Bluejeans
Kurt Denke of Blue Jeans Cable speaks out on the Monster Mini Golf Situation.

As the classic film Frankenstein teaches us, much can be accomplished by an angry band of villagers wielding torches and pitchforks--at least, when there is a monster on the loose. As those who have followed the story of Monster Mini Golf will already be well aware, there is a Monster in the audio/video cable industry's midst, and it, like the monsters of the big screen, requires a mass response. Well, okay, not one involving torches and pitchforks as such, but a mass response nonetheless.

Monster Mini Golf, a small franchise business owned by Christina Vitagliano of Providence, Rhode Island, has been sued in United States District Court by Monster Cable of Brisbane, California. The basis of the suit is that Monster Cable asserts that the use of the term "Monster" in Monster Mini Golf's trade name and marks infringes Monster Cable's various registered marks.

There has been so much editorializing on the merits -- or lack of merits -- of this suit that there is really very little more to say. Suffice it to say that we believe that Monster Mini Golf will, and must, win this suit. As we all know, regardless of the merits of a lawsuit, the burdens of litigation can be harsh. I personally spent a couple of decades in the practice of federal litigation, and it can be long, hard and costly; and I, like Ms. Vitagliano, have been threatened with meritless litigation by Monster Cable (for details, see Blue Jeans Cable Strikes Back). We at Blue Jeans Cable, though having no business affiliation of any kind with Monster Mini Golf, feel a deep sense of kinship and common cause with Ms. Vitagliano and her struggle to protect her business from predation.

Torches and pitchforks, however, will not do the job in this particular case. The battle here must be done by lawyers, and that costs money. To date, Ms. Vitagliano has incurred a legal bill running into six figures, and she can use all the help she can get to carry on the fight. We are working to aid the Monster Mini Golf defense in two ways.

First, Blue Jeans Cable will match contributions to Monster Mini Golf's defense fund, up to a total of one thousand dollars, made through > this page on our site <

Second, we are placing several products on a special Torches and Pitchforks" Promotion. We will donate, without limit, ten percent of our gross revenue from this promotion to Monster Mini Golf's legal defense. This promotion runs through December 15; if you need cables, have a look.

I have spoken at length with Ms. Vitagliano and she is a real fighter. I believe that if she can stay the course and fight the good fight, Monster Cable will lose this lawsuit. That loss will not only bring relief to Monster Mini Golf, but will put a powerful precedent in the hand of every owner of a trade name containing the word "Monster" to fight back against meritless trademark litigation. Too many people cave in to these threats; let's do what we can to encourage Ms. Vitagliano to carry on.

Kurt Denke
Pioneer Elite KURO PRO-1150HD
Sony Playstation 4
Oppo BDP-83
Old 12-05-2008, 07:30 PM   #2

Aug 2007
Henderson, NV

Mitisubshi WS-73903 73" Projection - 1080i ( Family Room )
Panasonic DMP-BD10AK
Onyko TH-SR705 w/ XM, AirPort(TX-NR905 Soon)
M&K THX series (7.1) S-5000 Fronts, S-150 Center, SUR-55T tripoles, LCR-550 Rears, MX-350 Sub

Panasonic TH-42PX60U Plasma - 1080i ( Master Bedroom )
Panasonic DMP-BD30
Yamaha DSP-A1 Amplifier
Polk LCiC Center, AB Series Fronts, Rears, Surr's, M&K 70B Sub
Old 12-05-2008, 07:51 PM   #3

Jan 2008
*Omaha, NE USA PSN Network: WarjackPrime

Wow! If all this is true I feel ashamed for even owning any Monster Cable products.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:52 PM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Framingham, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warjack Prime View Post
Wow! If all this is true I feel ashamed for even owning any Monster Cable products.
It's true and you should.
Pioneer Elite KURO PRO-1150HD
Sony Playstation 4
Oppo BDP-83
Old 12-06-2008, 04:21 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpkelley View Post
That Monster mashing Lawyer is at it again.
I took a look at the letter he wrote in response to Monster's attack on Blue Jeans Cable.

I found two interesting trends:

1. During his response, he would often insert a pimp-slap comment of pure contempt, just to keep things interesting.
2. At the end of the letter, his "bring it on" challenge was fun, but unnecessary; he had already delivered a complete, down-home, Lawd-call-the-Sheriff ass-whoopin to the Monster team.

To date, I have purchased some banana pins, and one very overpriced HDMI cable, from Monster.

Never again will I purchase a Monster product.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:30 PM   #6
Special Member

Mar 2008
Grande Prairie, Alberta

well i've been looking for a slightly longer sub cable... i guess i'll go measure and order me up some BJC
TV: Panasonic TC-P42G10Players:250 GB PS3 Slim Receivers:Onkyo 705, 8555 Speakers:Klipsch RF-35s, RS-42s, RC-35, RW12d, Tannoy DC4Ts

"Where you hear the free exchange of ideas, I hear a thousand idiots typing 'First' as fast as they can."
"Well surely people must write other things on the internet, what do they post after 'First'?"
"Second, third and so on, until finally they grow weary of numerals, and begin to compare the topic at hand to Nazis or homosexual intercourse"
Old 12-06-2008, 05:46 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Kelowna, BC
Send a message via AIM to richteer

It's this kind of bullshit from Monster (what an appropriate name considering their behaviour, although perhaps "Bully" would have been better) that stopped me from buying one of their power conditioners (I bought a Furman instead). Monster will never see another penny of my cash.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:52 PM   #8

Nov 2008

It's funny in a sad way is it not? That these corporation(s) can bring a lawsuit on anyone they "claim" uses a name or adjective similar to theirs even if in this case that (monster cable) does not in the technical sense own the word "monster".

Imagine your shopping for a costume at or near halloween and you said to your family or friend "yes,that is a nice monster makeup kit" and a lawyer from monster cable was there and called the company and monstercable decided to put a lawsuit on you/family and the store?

This is the kind of thing which could or possibly occur if blue jeans cable and monster golf lose and do not win the case.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:26 PM   #9
Hot Deals Moderator

Aug 2007
Detroit, MI

Classy move by Blue Jeans.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:35 PM   #10
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2007
Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Jaguar View Post
It's funny in a sad way is it not? That these corporation(s) can bring a lawsuit on anyone they "claim" uses a name or adjective similar to theirs even if in this case that (monster cable) does not in the technical sense own the word "monster".

Imagine your shopping for a costume at or near halloween and you said to your family or friend "yes,that is a nice monster makeup kit" and a lawyer from monster cable was there and called the company and monstercable decided to put a lawsuit on you/family and the store?

This is the kind of thing which could or possibly occur if blue jeans cable and monster golf lose and do not win the case.
Or imagine your the Chicago Bears and your nickname is "The Monsters Of The Midway". And no, this isn't a joke.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/05/26...-golf-company/
Now the real pain begins, Danny-boy.

My Theater/Media Room.................................................. ............My Media Wall Cabinet(How To/DIY)
Old 12-06-2008, 07:37 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2007
In a van down by the river

Serously, Monster Cable must have huge balls to match their Monster sized head
Sony KDS-50A2020
Pansasonic Blu-ray Player
PS3 and 13 games
Onkyo 805:)
Polk Audio Rti10 x2, Polk Audio Monitor 50 x2,Polk Audio CS2,Infinity Primus 250 x2,Klipsch Sub-10
Old 12-06-2008, 08:21 PM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008
Tampa Bay, Florida

Poor Monster.
My recommended setup for Home Theater Virgins:

Speakers: Polk Monitor 50's, Polk Monitor 40's, Polk CS2 Center, and eD subwoofer or
HTIB: Polk 5.1 system and
Receiver: Non-Network Onkyo TX-SR608 or Onkyo HT-RC180 Network Receiver
Monoprice-For all your cable needs...

Personal Setup + Subwoofer
Old 12-06-2008, 08:41 PM   #13
Special Member

Jan 2008
nashville

well that's the final straw with monster for me, not that i buy anything from them now nor was i planing to, but now i won't even look at their stuff and i will make sure friends in the industry know as well
ps3 games: 5 blu-ray: 57
psn: guitarist155

projector: Optima HD70.(epson 8350 coming soon) AVR:onkyo tx-nr809 and HT-RC180 sources: 80G PS3 and 120g PS3 slim, pro-ject debut III turntable, hitachi VCR. power: furman PL-plus II (separate rack), APC H10 speakers: Niles pro LCR and di/bipole surrounds.. Polk CS2 center, monitor 60 fronts, monitor 40 surrounds, 2 x psw10 subwoofers.remote Harmony 890 (RF ;) ) Screen: HDVio 110" electric. plus the bedroom setup...
Old 12-06-2008, 08:55 PM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008
Tampa Bay, Florida

How about all the other companies Monster has sued for trademark infringement and put out of business? They even sued Disney for the name "Monster Inc." because they said it confuses the general public about Monster Cables.
My recommended setup for Home Theater Virgins:

Speakers: Polk Monitor 50's, Polk Monitor 40's, Polk CS2 Center, and eD subwoofer or
HTIB: Polk 5.1 system and
Receiver: Non-Network Onkyo TX-SR608 or Onkyo HT-RC180 Network Receiver
Monoprice-For all your cable needs...

Personal Setup + Subwoofer
Old 12-07-2008, 02:47 AM   #15

Sep 2008
Portland, OR

I can't believe Monster Cables. I don't believe any reasonable person would confuse Monster Mini-Golf with Monster Cables.

Furthermore, why not go after Monster.com or Monster Energy Drink? Oh, yeah, because they're not mom-and-pop shops and would laugh at you--that's why.

GRRR... I hate Monster Cables.
Panasonic TH42PZ80U | Sony STR-DG720 | Polk RM6750 | 120GB PS3 | Monoprice Cables | Logitech Harmony 520
Old 12-07-2008, 07:47 PM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Kelowna, BC
Send a message via AIM to richteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoschRock View Post
Furthermore, why not go after Monster.com or Monster Energy Drink? Oh, yeah, because they're not mom-and-pop shops and would laugh at you--that's why.
Actually, they did go after monster.com, hence the link to Monster Cable on monster.com.

But agreed: Monster Cable are a bunch of greedy fsckheads.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:27 PM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2008
Canada
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warjack Prime View Post
Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar780 View Post
well i've been looking for a slightly longer sub cable... i guess i'll go measure and order me up some BJC
That is who I use now for my last several cables +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by richteer View Post
It's this kind of bullshit from Monster (what an appropriate name considering their behaviour, although perhaps "Bully" would have been better) that stopped me from buying one of their power conditioners (I bought a Furman instead). Monster will never see another penny of my cash.
I was looking at power conditioners too...Monster is off my short list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSportsFan View Post
Classy move by Blue Jeans.
+1 BJC FTW

EDIT: Yes I am aware this is a very old thread...Reading one thread lead me to another etc.
Vudu Credits available. Contact me for whats currently available and exclusive blu-ray.com discount code.

Last edited by pmac; 04-08-2009 at 11:51 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:46 PM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2009
Kansas City area

That's it, I'm replacing my Monster sub cable--my only Monster product--with one from Blue Jeans.

Although, to be fair, they did come to an agreement.
Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Salk Sound: Supercharged SongTower, Supercharged SongCenter, Surround I rears, Salk/Rythmik 12" sub x2
Denon AVR-4311, PS3, Harmony Ultimate

Last edited by repete66211; 04-09-2009 at 01:49 AM.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:59 PM   #19
Expert Member

Dec 2008
Ohio

I have Blue Jean Cable HDMI cables and looooooove them.

I know it might be in my head, but I think they're slightly ahead of monoprice.com's.

Down with monster cable.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:26 AM   #20
Blu-ray Knight

May 2008
Jacksonville, FL

This is awesome. I may switch my business to BJC from monoprice in the future just because of this.
Steve
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion