Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Let's Be Cops (Blu-ray)
$9.96

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 hr ago
The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.99

True Detective (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$149.99

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Vikings: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Homeland: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 12-07-2008, 06:50 PM   #1

Dec 2008
Exclamation magnavox blu-ray dvd player

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this but I recently bought a magnavox blu-ray dvd player and it wont play my dvd's that I have downloaded ( via torrent ) to my pc then burned to a dvd disk.

Here is what happens.

I put the DVD ( the burned dvd ) into the blu-ray player and no video or audio shows up on the TV.

the playback time on the dvd player skips, stops and then freaks out.

Does anyone know why this is happening to me?
Old 12-07-2008, 06:52 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2008
Moore, Oklahoma
Send a message via Yahoo to brett_day

connected via hdmi?
Old 12-07-2008, 06:53 PM   #3

Dec 2008

what do you mean by that?
Old 12-07-2008, 06:54 PM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2008
Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Send a message via AIM to andyman1970 Send a message via Yahoo to andyman1970

Is the Blu-ray player capable of playing back DVD-R and DVD-RW disc? This could be the problem. I have also heard a lot of negative reviews on the Magnavox Blu-ray player.

Also, you don't want to call it a Blu-ray DVD player around here. Some people take offense to the DVD being compared to a Blu-ray disc.
Still waiting on Pink Floyd:The Wall (1982) Blu-ray release.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:56 PM   #5

Dec 2008

Yes the blu-ray player is compatible to play DVD-R and DVD-RW discs.

I'll take note of that next time. Thank you.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:59 PM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2008
Moore, Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome603 View Post
what do you mean by that?
how is the blu ray player connected to your tv or receiver?
Old 12-07-2008, 07:00 PM   #7

Dec 2008

connected to the back of the TV HDMI
Old 12-07-2008, 07:03 PM   #8

Dec 2008

http://tinyurl.com/5uzz88 this is the actual player itself.

Last edited by Jerome603; 12-07-2008 at 07:06 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:26 PM   #9
Special Member

Jan 2008
nashville

hunh it could be a problem with copy protection and hdcp, have you tried playing the dvd through the composite outputs? or it might simply not like the disk. it says it will play dvd+R so it should play the -R as well
ps3 games: 5 blu-ray: 57
psn: guitarist155

projector: Optima HD70.(epson 8350 coming soon) AVR:onkyo tx-nr809 and HT-RC180 sources: 80G PS3 and 120g PS3 slim, pro-ject debut III turntable, hitachi VCR. power: furman PL-plus II (separate rack), APC H10 speakers: Niles pro LCR and di/bipole surrounds.. Polk CS2 center, monitor 60 fronts, monitor 40 surrounds, 2 x psw10 subwoofers.remote Harmony 890 (RF ;) ) Screen: HDVio 110" electric. plus the bedroom setup...
Old 12-07-2008, 07:38 PM   #10

Dec 2008

your question about the composite output... what exactly is that?
Old 12-07-2008, 07:39 PM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
San Antonio

Quote:
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this but I recently bought a magnavox blu-ray dvd player and it wont play my dvd's that I have downloaded ( via torrent ) to my pc then burned to a dvd disk.

Here is what happens.

I put the DVD ( the burned dvd ) into the blu-ray player and no video or audio shows up on the TV.

Thats why most of us would rather buy an updatable blu-ray player. The Magnavox cannot be updated. It resembles a disposable contact lens....if you know what I mean.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:41 PM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
San Antonio

Quote:
your question about the composite output... what exactly is that?
You got a lot to learn about this stuff. You should hang around these threads for awhile and you'll start learning.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:48 PM   #13

Dec 2008

You make it sound like I knew that the Magnavox couldn't be updated. I'm learning as I go. I don't have time to hang around the forums, this is why I'm asking these questions.

It's not like every thread is about the magnavox blu-ray player... so how can myself ( even if I had the time ) stick around these forums to learn about it?

I just need help with my blu-ray player and I was hoping I could get that help here.

So instead of telling me I have allot of stuff to learn, could you just tell me what a composite output is and how this could effect my player not being able to read a burned dvd movie?
Old 12-07-2008, 07:50 PM   #14
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2008
Moore, Oklahoma

Quote:
You make it sound like I knew that the Magnavox couldn't be updated. I'm learning as I go. I don't have time to hang around the forums, this is why I'm asking these questions.

It's not like every thread is about the magnavox blu-ray player... so how can myself ( even if I had the time ) stick around these forums to learn about it?

I just need help with my blu-ray player and I was hoping I could get that help here.

So instead of telling me I have allot of stuff to learn, could you just tell me what a composite output is and how this could effect my player not being able to read a burned dvd movie?
composite out....the normal red yellow white connectors etc that connect the player to the tv......

i am assuming that you cannot watch your illegal downloaded movies because you have the blu ray player hooked up to your tv via hdmi. Copy protection is kicking in via HDMI which is stopping the playback of the illegal downloaded movies
Old 12-07-2008, 07:53 PM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
San Antonio

Quote:

Apologize about the misunderstanding. If your blu-ray player is connected HDMI, then you won't need composite or component. If your player is having trouble, then there's something wrong with it. I owned a Magnavox this past year and played backup dvds just fine. If I were you, I would take it back to exchange it or get a refund to buy a better blu-ray player.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:59 PM   #16

Mar 2008
Seattle, WA

Quote:

Learn before you go, You will save a lot of money that way.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:20 PM   #17
Special Member

Jan 2008
nashville

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett_day View Post
composite out....the normal red yellow white connectors etc that connect the player to the tv......

i am assuming that you cannot watch your illegal downloaded movies because you have the blu ray player hooked up to your tv via hdmi. Copy protection is kicking in via HDMI which is stopping the playback of the illegal downloaded movies
this is why i suggested the composite outs, it might not help at all but it's simple to check and you never know, i however would look into returning that and getting a bdp-s350 i believe it's in the same price range and is a much better/updating player and it does sound like there might be a problem with your player.
ps3 games: 5 blu-ray: 57
psn: guitarist155

projector: Optima HD70.(epson 8350 coming soon) AVR:onkyo tx-nr809 and HT-RC180 sources: 80G PS3 and 120g PS3 slim, pro-ject debut III turntable, hitachi VCR. power: furman PL-plus II (separate rack), APC H10 speakers: Niles pro LCR and di/bipole surrounds.. Polk CS2 center, monitor 60 fronts, monitor 40 surrounds, 2 x psw10 subwoofers.remote Harmony 890 (RF ;) ) Screen: HDVio 110" electric. plus the bedroom setup...
Old 12-08-2008, 12:37 AM   #18

Jan 2008
Minnesnowta

Quote:

Here is what happens.

What type of files is it that you have downloaded and burned to DVD. Is it actual DVD files (.vob) or is it just a standard movie file like .mpeg or .mov?
Media Room: TV: Samsung 46" 1080p Receiver: Onkyo 508 Sub: Polk PSW110 Speakers: 6 x Polk T15's, Polk CS10 Player: Sony BDP-350 Consoles: PS4 HD Service: Xfinity Extras: Apple TV Living Room: TV: Philips 40" 1080p Player: Sony BDP-590 HD Service: Xfinity Bedroom TV: Visio 32" 720p HD Service: Xfinity Player: Sony BDP-590 Extras: Google Chromecast
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software