Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Fifth Element 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Alien: Covenant (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Alien: Covenant 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.63
Mars (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Heat (Blu-ray)
$6.99
Hopscotch (Blu-ray)
$27.99
The Breaking Point (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman (Blu-ray)
$90.16
One-Punch Man: Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$40.68
The Mummy Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$44.99
X-Men Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Life 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.32
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 12-07-2008, 07:45 PM   #1

Nov 2008
Northern Virginia
Default annoying mandatory previews

Hi,
Has anyone figured out some of the following:

1. A way to go directly to the Menu and to bypass all those (sometimes up to 10 of them) REALLY ANNOYING previews that are on Blue Ray Discs?

2. Have the blue ray player 'remember' where you stopped the movie so that when you turn it on, you can start at the point you stopped (and thus avoid the annoying previews mentioned in #1)?

Dunno if this is a factor, but I've got a Sony BDP-S350.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:51 AM   #2

Nov 2008

do you mean the ones on Disney discs? i have a BDP-S300 and i just press the Top Menu button when they come on and it automatically skips them to the loading screen. i would have thought the 350 would have a similar button?
Philips 42PF7621D/10 42" LCD TV | Sky HD | Toshiba HD-EP30 HD-DVD Player | Sony BDP-S300 Blu-ray Player | Sony STR-DG820 AV Amp/Reciever | Sony SA-VE835 Pascal Speakers
Old 12-08-2008, 12:29 PM   #3

Jan 2007
Huntsville, AL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eezer View Post
do you mean the ones on Disney discs? i have a BDP-S300 and i just press the Top Menu button when they come on and it automatically skips them to the loading screen. i would have thought the 350 would have a similar button?
I have an S550 and when I want to skip the previews all I have to do is press the Top Menu button also.
Samsung LN52B750, Sony KDS-R60XBR2, Sharp LC37D90U
Onkyo TX-SR875
Klipsch Reference: RF-82, RC62, RS-52, RW-12d
Playstation-3 80GB
Sony BDP-S560, BDP-S550, BDP-S1
Logitech Harmony 1000, Harmony One
Old 12-10-2008, 01:37 AM   #4

Nov 2008
Northern Virginia
Default thanks

Thanks!
Old 12-10-2008, 03:15 AM   #5

Dec 2008
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum007 View Post
2. Have the blue ray player 'remember' where you stopped the movie so that when you turn it on, you can start at the point you stopped (and thus avoid the annoying previews mentioned in #1)?
It will work with some discs, but not with BD-Java discs. Although most BD-Jave discs should support bookmarking.

Press the Green button before pressing stop.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:40 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2004
New Jersey

If the [top menu] button fails, multiple presses of the [skip] botton usually works.
Proud founder of the blu-bloods.
Use "blu-blood" in your signature and become an elite user.

To be blu-blooded is commitment to the blu-ray technology. We believe other forms of HD media are inferior. Our goal is educate, support and propagate blu-ray.

Creatures of Hard Media
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=43882
Old 12-11-2008, 04:49 PM   #7
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal
Send a message via Yahoo to P@t_Mtl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tron3 View Post
If the [top menu] button fails, multiple presses of the [skip] botton usually works.
That usualy work's well for me also with my Samsung.
---------------------------------------------------
My avatar will Wait Until Dark for a Roman Holiday since this world as War & Peace
and it would be fun to actually have Breakfast At Tiffany's with My Fair Lady
Old 12-12-2008, 12:18 AM   #8

Jan 2008
Los Angeles
Default "Skip" button use

Quote:
Originally Posted by tron3 View Post
Yes, but when using the "Skip" button you still have to wait for each preview to begin before you can hit the button to skip to the next preview (if there are 5 previews you can't just press the "Skip" button five (5) times, you actually have to wait for each preview to begin before pressing the "Skip" button to advance to teh next preview/preview screen).

Pressing the button without waiting for the preview to begin will not do anything except slowly wear-out the "Skip" button and the batteries in the remote. This has been the case with my Sony BDP-S301, Sony BDP-S500, as well as my (Sony) BDP-S550.

Keith
Sony XBR-55X850C | Sony BDP-S550 | STR-DA4300ES | Klipsch RB-3s', RC-25, RS-25s', SW-8 | Harmony One
Old 12-12-2008, 12:34 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2004
New Jersey

Strange. I press the [skip] button multiple times on my S300 and it does skip a few. Remember, the players still have (very) small key buffers. May vary from player to player and depend on how the java is encoded.

To be blu-blooded is commitment to the blu-ray technology. We believe other forms of HD media are inferior. Our goal is educate, support and propagate blu-ray.

Creatures of Hard Media
Old 12-12-2008, 02:57 PM   #10

Apr 2008
Donegal, Ireland

yea this can be annoying, i was watching WALL-E a few days ago, the film froze halfways through, i had to power off/on the player and waiiiitttt until the previews finished just to get into the main menu, skip buttons did nothing
Why does ending task on windows, never actually end task ?!

50'' Samsung PS50A556S
Sony SA-FT7ED
ED A2-300
Sony STR-DG820
Sony BDP S300
51 BD's
Old 12-12-2008, 05:19 PM   #11

Mar 2008

1. For most discs, press one or the other of your menu buttons. For Columbia discs, you usually have to skip through the previews.

2. Why does everyone think that just because a DVD is able to resume that a Blu-ray should also do so? A DVD resumes because it's easy for the player to know where the laser transport is parked.

To reload a Blu-ray with extensive Java menu content the disc has to be reloaded from the start so that the menus will work. If they didn't do this, your pop-up menu wouldn't work. As with DVD (which didn't have a resume feature on 1st Gen players) I'm sure this is something which will eventually be implemented - but only after the players start being made with some form of caching the buffers to some sort of permanent memory. I'm not sure how much RAM is being used to run those menus and your movie, but my gut tells me it's more like trying to cold-boot your PC running Windows than it is just turning on a CD player. Unless your OS is hibernating on the hard drive, it doesn't just pop back up and resume where you left it.

hg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum007 View Post
Hi,
Has anyone figured out some of the following:

1. A way to go directly to the Menu and to bypass all those (sometimes up to 10 of them) REALLY ANNOYING previews that are on Blue Ray Discs?

Dunno if this is a factor, but I've got a Sony BDP-S350.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:51 PM   #12

Jan 2007
Huntsville, AL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlsberg19 View Post
yea this can be annoying, i was watching WALL-E a few days ago, the film froze halfways through, i had to power off/on the player and waiiiitttt until the previews finished just to get into the main menu, skip buttons did nothing
Yeah, the first time I played WALL-E the film froze and I had to reload. Very annoying!! I cleaned the disc (even though it was straight out of the case) and have not had another problem after watching it 4 more times...kids really like it. This should probably be in another thread but I couldn't resist the comment.
Samsung LN52B750, Sony KDS-R60XBR2, Sharp LC37D90U
Onkyo TX-SR875
Klipsch Reference: RF-82, RC62, RS-52, RW-12d
Playstation-3 80GB
Sony BDP-S560, BDP-S550, BDP-S1
Logitech Harmony 1000, Harmony One
Old 12-12-2008, 10:58 PM   #13
Banned

Oct 2006
Kentwood, Michigan
Send a message via Yahoo to GGX

Lionsgate Blu-rays do not allow the use of the top menu button during the previews. You have to manually skip each one with the next chapter button. They are also the worse offender in that they are one's that have the most trailers that play upon startup.

Also, there is no e in Blu-ray.

Last edited by GGX; 12-12-2008 at 11:01 PM.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:10 PM   #14
Banned

Sep 2008
United States

Everyone complains about preveiws in the theater, yet if it wasn't for preveiws how would you know if a movie would be good or not? Preveiws give you glimpses of films to come, plus it makes it so you don't miss part of the actual movie if you are late. Me, I have no problem sitting through preveiws. Or if it's on a Blu Ray, I can start the movie and then go make popcorn, go to the batroom, etc....., with out feeling rushed.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:17 PM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan54 View Post
Everyone complains about preveiws in the theater, yet if it wasn't for preveiws how would you know if a movie would be good or not?
That's not something I need to find out every time I watch the movie.

Also, I'm coughing up serious cash for the movie, not previews.

Quote:
Preveiws give you glimpses of films to come, plus it makes it so you don't miss part of the actual movie if you are late. Me, I have no problem sitting through preveiws. Or if it's on a Blu Ray, I can start the movie and then go make popcorn, go to the batroom, etc....., with out feeling rushed.
Sounds like you're one of those people who is satisfied with the world as it's presented to you. Even if the presentation is made by people without your best interests in mind.

What if every time you tried to start your car, your radio came on and played advertisements for every other model the manufacturer made that year?

And did it even after you'd owned the car for five years? For other five year old cars?

You could go outside, start your car, then go make coffee, go to the bathroom, etc. etc.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:03 PM   #16
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2008
Calgary, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by hourglass View Post
1. For most discs, press one or the other of your menu buttons. For Columbia discs, you usually have to skip through the previews.

2. Why does everyone think that just because a DVD is able to resume that a Blu-ray should also do so? A DVD resumes because it's easy for the player to know where the laser transport is parked.

To reload a Blu-ray with extensive Java menu content the disc has to be reloaded from the start so that the menus will work. If they didn't do this, your pop-up menu wouldn't work. As with DVD (which didn't have a resume feature on 1st Gen players) I'm sure this is something which will eventually be implemented - but only after the players start being made with some form of caching the buffers to some sort of permanent memory. I'm not sure how much RAM is being used to run those menus and your movie, but my gut tells me it's more like trying to cold-boot your PC running Windows than it is just turning on a CD player. Unless your OS is hibernating on the hard drive, it doesn't just pop back up and resume where you left it.

hg
That's a great explanation. Now it makes more sense to me, as to why it doesn't work. I knew that BD-J discs required bookmarking, but now I know why.
Sharp Quattron LC-70EQ10U Display
1TB Xbox One S
TELUS ISB6015 PVR, and one wired and one wireless box
Marantz NR-1504 receiver
Polk RTi A1 and CSi A4 center and RTi4 surrounds
SVS SB12-NSD sealed subwoofer
Old 12-14-2008, 01:19 PM   #17
Banned

Oct 2006
Kentwood, Michigan
Send a message via Yahoo to GGX

Quote:
Everyone complains about preveiws in the theater, yet if it wasn't for preveiws how would you know if a movie would be good or not?
l.o.l. The theater is not the only place one can watch movie trailers.

Besides, Lionsgate Blu's show the same damn trailers with every release. Their new releases still show the trailer for Crank. Which was released on Blu in January of 2007!

Quote:
Or if it's on a Blu Ray, I can start the movie and then go make popcorn, go to the batroom, etc....., with out feeling rushed.
WTF? Feel rushed!? I watch movies on my own time. Not when someone else tells me to do so.

Last edited by GGX; 12-14-2008 at 01:24 PM.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:33 PM   #18
Banned

Dec 2008

Java is evil and doesn't belong on Blu. It's always been a headache on PC's, so why expect different on BD's.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:34 PM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2004
New Jersey
Thumbs down Down with Java

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodofBlu View Post
Java is evil and doesn't belong on Blu. It's always been a headache on PC's, so why expect different on BD's.
Because it can't be exploited by hackers, only by the studios.

Creatures of Hard Media
Old 12-15-2008, 02:04 PM   #20
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2007

i usually just hit the FF button and go up to the fastest option... then it just goes into the menu in no time
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders