Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Devil's Due (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Psycho-Pass: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$96.32
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 12-07-2008, 08:02 PM   #1

Dec 2008
Default Blu-ray Players With a 'Zoom' feature

I am looking for a good blu-ray player with a 'zoom' feature.

By 'zoom', I would like to magnify a certain aspect of an image in a frame.

I have read of 'digital zoom' and 'optical zoom'.

Anyone one?

Old 12-07-2008, 08:30 PM   #2
Special Member

Feb 2007
Just left of the Alpha Quadrant

'digital zoom' and 'optical zoom' is for cameras!!!

No player ever will do that.... 1st you would need a computer with BD player then you would have to image capture the frame & then use a photo editing software too zoom into the area & save the zoom image.. done
'A verbal agreement is as good as the paper it is writen on'

"Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal." - Albert Einstein
Old 12-07-2008, 08:49 PM   #3

Dec 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon View Post

No player ever will do that.... 1st you would need a computer with BD player then you would have to image capture the frame & then use a photo editing software too zoom into the area & save the zoom image.. done

I have a Sony DVD player and the remote has a 'zoom' feature.

I have a 'Initial' portable DVD player and the remote has a 'zoom' feature.

Why can't a blu-ray player have a 'zoom' feature on the remote?

Perhaps we are talking past each other in the term 'zoom'.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:05 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2007

You're HDTV should have a ZOOM fonction.

I mean what's the point of going Blu-ray if you're going to loose 25% of resolution anyway.....
Material : Denon 3808ci, 2xParadigm Monitor 9 v5, 1xCC390, 2xADP390, 2xADP190, Panasonic AE3000 96hz 1080p, 106' screen, Samsung BDP-2550
01/04/08 - A day to remember, the day we won!
My Blu-Ray movies = http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/ryoohki360
Old 12-08-2008, 09:52 PM   #5
Special Member

Feb 2007
Just left of the Alpha Quadrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
I have a Sony DVD player and the remote has a 'zoom' feature.

I have a 'Initial' portable DVD player and the remote has a 'zoom' feature.

Why can't a blu-ray player have a 'zoom' feature on the remote?

Perhaps we are talking past each other in the term 'zoom'.

Ok I got you now... I thought you were talking about zooming in on an area on a single frame & see something in the foreground... Your talking over all zoom or to fill the screen...most tv's have a zoom or fill/fit, you would either get a distorted image or loss XX% of the movie.

maybe when we start to see BD-RW players there will be a zoom... maybe
'A verbal agreement is as good as the paper it is writen on'

"Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal." - Albert Einstein
Old 12-11-2008, 05:58 PM   #6

Dec 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoohki View Post
You're HDTV should have a ZOOM fonction.

I mean what's the point of going Blu-ray if you're going to loose 25% of resolution anyway.....
Thanks for your in-put!

Old 12-11-2008, 06:00 PM   #7

Dec 2008

Quote:
Ok I got you now... I thought you were talking about zooming in on an area on a single frame & see something in the foreground... Your talking over all zoom or to fill the screen...most tv's have a zoom or fill/fit, you would either get a distorted image or loss XX% of the movie.

maybe when we start to see BD-RW players there will be a zoom... maybe

Thanks for your response!

Old 12-11-2008, 09:19 PM   #8

Aug 2008

AFAIK only Philips' BD-player has zoom built-in...
Old 12-12-2008, 02:14 AM   #9
Special Member

Dec 2007

the bd35 has a 16:9 FULL mode... it seems like this would get rid of the black on top and bottom if that is what you are looking for
Old 12-15-2008, 04:34 AM   #10

Dec 2008
Default Samsung had a SD dvd player with 20X zoom

Quote:

I have a Samsung standard definition dvd player that does exactly that. It has a 20X zoom and allows you to center the zoom box over whatever part of the picture you wanted a close-up of. I would love to have that same feature in a blu-ray player.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:12 AM   #11

Feb 2009

I have researched the following ten Blu-ray players trying to find one that zooms. Here are the results:

Samsung BD-P1500 ($200) Have the manual - no blu-ray or DVD zoom
Pioneer Elite BDP-94HD ($600) Have the manual - no blu-ray or DVD zoom
Panasonic DMP-BD35 ($265) Have the manual - no blu-ray or DVD zoom
Panasonic DMP-BD55 ($500) Have the manual - no blu-ray or DVD zoom
Sony BD-S350 ($300) Have the manual - no blu-ray or DVD zoom. I've also used this unit in Best Buys and couldn't find a zoom option.
Play Station 3 ($400) Sales tech demonstrated this unit playing a blu-ray disk and could not find a zoom feature.
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD ($2000) Have the manual - no blu-ray or DVD zoom. Only anamorphic adjustment for projectors.
Sylvania NB501SL9 ($200) Have the manual - no blu-ray or DVD zoom. Actually, this is the unit I purchased and have in-hand.
Magnavox NB500MG9 ($200) No blu-ray or DVD zoom
Ensign BD-500 ($200) No blu-ray or DVD zoom

It would seem that across the board Blu-ray manufacturers are abdictating zoom features to the TV set.

Maybe there's a player out there that can zoom a Blu-ray disk but so far it's being very difficult to find.

Wilson McDermott
Old 02-01-2009, 06:48 PM   #12

Aug 2008
Default Philips BDP7200

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonMcDermott View Post
Maybe there's a player out there that can zoom a Blu-ray disk but so far it's being very difficult to find.
The Philips BDP7200 does with DVD!
See page 26 of the manual (downloadable from the website), quote:

"During playback, you can zoom up the picture.
1) During playback, press [ZOOM] repeatedly.
Every time you press [ZOOM], Zoom factor will change.
Example:
Zoom x1.2
Zoom x2
2) You can move over the zoomed picture using
[K / L / { / B].
The grey box with an inner blue box displayed at the right bottom corner of the zoomed image is the position guide. The inner blue box indicates the zoomed area. (Not available for the JPEG playback.)

Note
- For JPEG files, slide show of the zoomed picture is not possible.
- For some DivX files, zoom may not be available.
- For DivX and JPEG files, x4 zoom is not available.
- For some DVD, x4 zoom is not available.
• [ZOOM] does not work during the playback of the BD-video.
• [ZOOM] does not work while DVD menu is displayed."

Unquote.

So it seems ONLY for DVD, DivX and JPEG, but NOT for 'BD-video playback'

Last edited by gekke henkie; 02-01-2009 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:59 PM   #13

Feb 2009
Default No Blu-ray zoom

Next January I intend asking every Blu-ray manufacturer at the Los Vegas Consumer Electronics Show why their players don't offer this feature. I"ll let everyone know.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:15 PM   #14

Nov 2008
Waterloo, ON, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonMcDermott View Post
Next January I intend asking every Blu-ray manufacturer at the Los Vegas Consumer Electronics Show why their players don't offer this feature. I"ll let everyone know.
I can tell you their stock response in advance. It will go along the lines of:

"Given advances in technology, electronics manufacturers continually strive to bring proper home entertainment into the living rooms of the nation. Now that we have achieved wider consumer displays, we believe it is more important to let people enjoy the proper aspect ratio chosen by the director for your viewing. Given that a zoom button would negate this, we have opted to remove it from blu-ray players."

Something like that...
Old 02-01-2009, 09:42 PM   #15
Special Member

Jul 2007
North Bay, Ontario Posts: Over 1100.......... PSNetwork- Axecution

hmmm... Im very surprised nobody here is trying to make him not zoom into his movies considering all it does it totally kill the movie, throw it into a bag and dump it into a lake. I personally see no purpose in even watching something if the person i'm watching it zooms into it to get rid of the black bars... I absolutely hate it when people do that.
Im also surprised to see that nobody in this thread - especially those who make fun of people for talking in caps lock, calling it blue ray, or not having proper English - are not making him stop typing in giant bold underlined typing. ...but hey, whatever.

And yeah, your TV should have a Zoom feature designed specifically to annoy the living hell out of anybody watching it. It may also have a feature to stretch the picture so that it looks like you're watching it on a stretched balloon. Always useful if you're actually trying to annoy the living hell out of anybody watching it.
NEW PSN ID = Axecution (Formerly- X-Ninja)
Samsung 46" LCD
Onkyo 605 7.1 Receiver
Sony Playstation 3 60GB
Apple TV 40GB
Apple iMac 24"
Apple Macbook Pro 2009 13"

Last edited by X-Ninja; 02-01-2009 at 09:44 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:30 AM   #16

Nov 2008

I don't know why some people act like Zoom is the most horrible thing ever. This feature is pretty standard in DVD players. I don't use it to get rid of black bars cause I have no problems with them or a movie's original aspect ratio. But I did use zoom for several other reasons like, maybe get a closer look at an extra in a movie, or a better look at action going on in the background of a scene ( i.e like the numerous Jedi fighting in the background of Episode 2), or maybe read the letters on a newspaper clipping that is in a scene etc etc. It's not always about just trying to get the image to fit the entire screen. So having said all that, I'm still not clear why Blu Ray players are phasing out this feature. The same with the frame advance option. Practically none of them have it. They should be adding more features that DVD players don't have instead of not including all of the ones that they do.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:43 AM   #17

Jan 2009
White Lake, MI
Send a message via AIM to John Dorian

My LG BD300 has a zoom button...
TV: Samsung LN32A450 (May 2008)
Blu-Ray: LG BD300 (January 2009)
Surround Sound: Polk Audio RM6750 (June 2009)
Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR308 (May 2010)
Gaming: Xbox 360 (rum0rsofdemise) (October 2008), Wii (May 2010)
Remote: Logitech Harmony 610 (May 2010)
Latest Blu-Ray Purchase: Mean Girls (March 2010)
Old 02-02-2009, 01:46 AM   #18
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008
Tampa Bay, Florida

As long as the image is not stretched and the original aspect ratio is retained, why not have a zoom feature?
My recommended setup for Home Theater Virgins:

Speakers: Polk Monitor 50's, Polk Monitor 40's, Polk CS2 Center, and eD subwoofer or
HTIB: Polk 5.1 system and
Receiver: Non-Network Onkyo TX-SR608 or Onkyo HT-RC180 Network Receiver
Monoprice-For all your cable needs...

Personal Setup + Subwoofer
Old 02-02-2009, 05:10 PM   #19

Feb 2009
Default To Trix, X-Ninja and John Dorian

Dear Trix,

I suspect your prediction about the info-speak the distributers will say at the CES is right on the mark. As I read your comment I could almost see one of them spouting it with a blank, mechanical stare as his brain works through auto-replay. It'll be fun to see how close you are.

X-Ninja,

My apologies to you and the forum. Rereading my first post it does indeed sound like I'm a full-screen pusher. In fact the opposite is true. I vastly prefer widescreen. If the set I'm viewing a movie on is small, I'd rather sit closer to it than zoom the bars away.

My favorite justification for un-zoomed widescreen is the scene in "Return of the King" when the horsemen charge into Saron's army. In full-frame it looks like a couple of dozen guys galloping down a hill. In 16:9 with the bars zoomed out you see a couple of hundred men riding down the hill. But, in widescreen you see all 6,000 knights charging down the hill into a horde of tens-of-thousands of orcs. More than sheer numbers, the flanks of the line of horsemen dimminishes creating a depth of field that full-framing simply can't capture.

The reason I want a zoom feature on my Blu-ray player is that after watching a movie I enjoy going back and taking close-up looks at certain scenes to look for filming errors. It's like having a blooper extra on the disk. You'd be surprised how many mistakes even top-ranked movies let slide.

To John Dorian,

You said your LG BD300 zooms. Is that while it's playing a Blu-ray disk?

Thanks again, guys.

Good talking to you.

Wilson McDermott
Old 02-02-2009, 05:45 PM   #20

Feb 2009
Default John is right!

Following John Dorian's comment that the LG BD300 Blu-ray player has a zoom function, I down loaded its manual and sure enough, page 26 states that it zooms DVD, BD and AVCHD. Better still, rather than the fixed 1.2x, 1.5x and 2.0 zoom options many DVD players offer, the LG BD300 has a 16-step zoom control so you can get the exact magnification you want.

The only caution is that the manual also states that the zoom may not work with some discs or titles.

Image quality is generaly rated as good for Blu-ray but just okay for DVD.

I'm ordering one today. Wish me luck.

Wilson McDermott
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders