Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Night of the Living Dead (Blu-ray)
$17.24
The Boss Baby 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay 4K (Blu-ray)
$18.90
Lady Bird (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Outlander: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
NFL Super Bowl 52 Champions (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$10.99
The Post (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Doctor Who: The Complete Peter Capaldi Years (Blu-ray)
$79.99
10 Things I Hate About You (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Warcraft (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping (Blu-ray)
$5.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 12-12-2008, 07:43 PM   #1

Dec 2008
Default What are Super Spikes

I saw a reviewer mention Super Spikes that he put on his Mirage speakers. What are these things? I notice that on my Mirage speakers there are 4 holes to receive a bolt.

I assume this is something to get the speaker off the ground but I cannot find an actual picture of them.

The thought of lifting my speakers off the ground is intriguing. To handle the weight whatever they are must be pretty darn sturdy.

Anyone have spikes supporting their speakers? And can you point me to a website to see them?

Thanks
Old 12-12-2008, 07:45 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007
Sandy Hook, CT PS3-PSNetwork ID: Pelican170 PS4-PSN Network ID: TheAngryRager

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonD View Post
I saw a reviewer mention Super Spikes that he put on his Mirage speakers. What are these things? I notice that on my Mirage speakers there are 4 holes to receive a bolt.

I assume this is something to get the speaker off the ground but I cannot find an actual picture of them.

The thought of lifting my speakers off the ground is intriguing. To handle the weight whatever they are must be pretty darn sturdy.

Anyone have spikes supporting their speakers? And can you point me to a website to see them?

Thanks
They came with my speakers, still not sure if there is a true advantage to having them. Maybe on a subwoofer i can see more but.... Oh, i mean speaker spikes...
PS4 500 GB---> 1TB
Marantz SR7002
Cambridge Soundworks
Old 12-12-2008, 07:52 PM   #3

Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave

If you bought your Mirages new, they would have included the Spikes. If that wasn't the case, I suggest you contact them.

Failing that, visit a local high-end audio shop and they'll be sure to have a selection of spikes to choose from.
John - I love the smell of vinyl in the morning!
My personal motto: "Live Life! Leave A Legacy!"
I reserve the right to post as a member. When I post as a Moderator I will select a color depending on my mood!
Dynavector - Genesis - Harman/Kardon - Marantz Reference - Mogami - Nitty Gritty -- Oracle Audio - Pioneer - Valab/King
Old 12-12-2008, 08:08 PM   #4
Special Member

Mar 2008
Grande Prairie, Alberta

I put the spikes on my klipsch speakers for 2 reasons

1. Vibration isolation
2. They grip the carpet and make it hard for anyone to move the speakers (and ruin my hard work creating my sweet spot)
TV: Panasonic TC-P42G10Players:250 GB PS3 Slim Receivers:Onkyo 705, 8555 Speakers:Klipsch RF-35s, RS-42s, RC-35, RW12d, Tannoy DC4Ts

"Where you hear the free exchange of ideas, I hear a thousand idiots typing 'First' as fast as they can."
"Well surely people must write other things on the internet, what do they post after 'First'?"
"Second, third and so on, until finally they grow weary of numerals, and begin to compare the topic at hand to Nazis or homosexual intercourse"
Old 12-12-2008, 08:20 PM   #5

Dec 2008
Default I bought them new

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican170 View Post
They came with my speakers, still not sure if there is a true advantage to having them. Maybe on a subwoofer i can see more but.... Oh, i mean speaker spikes...
I did purchase them new. I am trying to remember back as to whether I had them or not. I am on carpet now but back then I was on hardwood so I would not have attached the spikes. I have all the paperwork and the boxes. I haven't looked in the box in a long time, maybe I have them in there. Otherwise I either lost them or they were not in the box. That frustrates me.

I contacted Mirage and they do have a set of spikes. If I cannot find mine I'll purchase a set. I like the idea of locking down the sweet spot mentioned in a reply.

Thanks to all.

I also saw these at parts express. They look interesting but it looks like they are just going to rest on the metal pad. Would a push send the speaker toppling over?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=240-715
Old 12-12-2008, 08:27 PM   #6

Jul 2007

My speakers sit on hardwood and I still use spikes! I prefer it. The main reason is vibration isolation, no damages to the underside of my speakers and stability. YES, stability.

Additionally, I also beleive it improves the sound. My Totems are excellent at reproducing bass and I find there is less resonance by using the spikes. The sound appears cleaner. (Placebo? Perhaps, but I like the way they sound).
I reserve the right to post as a member. When I post as a Moderator I will select a color depending on my mood!
Dynavector - Genesis - Harman/Kardon - Marantz Reference - Mogami - Nitty Gritty -- Oracle Audio - Pioneer - Valab/King
Old 12-12-2008, 08:30 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007
Sandy Hook, CT PS3-PSNetwork ID: Pelican170 PS4-PSN Network ID: TheAngryRager

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar780 View Post

1. Vibration isolation
2. They grip the carpet and make it hard for anyone to move the speakers (and ruin my hard work creating my sweet spot)
What do you mean by Vibration Isolation exactly. I can agree with #2..
PS4 500 GB---> 1TB
Marantz SR7002
Cambridge Soundworks
Old 12-12-2008, 08:31 PM   #8

Dec 2008
Default What do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John72953 View Post
My speakers sit on hardwood and I still use spikes! I prefer it. The main reason is vibration isolation, no damages to the underside of my speakers and stability. YES, stability.

Additionally, I also beleive it improves the sound. My Totems are excellent at reproducing bass and I find there is less resonance by using the spikes. The sound appears cleaner. (Placebo? Perhaps, but I like the way they sound).
What do you think of the spikes I linked to in my previous reply? Would those give the stability you want? I wonder how they'd stand at all.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:47 PM   #9

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonD View Post
What do you think of the spikes I linked to in my previous reply? Would those give the stability you want? I wonder how they'd stand at all.
They look like they'll do the job just fine.

Now, what I would do is NOT use the floor discs. I think it'll give your speakers MORE stability without them. Manaufacturers include them, because there are many consumers that "don't want to damage their floors". From what? 4 tiny puncture marks at worst? I'd much rather protect my speakers. Experiment with both and decide from there.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:56 PM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008
Breinigsville, PA

You may wish to have a look at this thread that I started yesterday about footera (a wide variety) that will probably do better than the regular spikes (but will probably be more expensive):

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=75407

Rich
Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com
4K TV LG OLED65B6P 65" TT/Arm Teres Certus 450/Teres Illius Cart/Phono Pre Soundsmith Strain Gauge/Soundsmith 410 Cond. 3 Panamax M5400-PM Modded: Amps 1st Watt M2, 3 Aragon Palladium 1K, Marantz MM8077 Pre/Pro Marantz av8802A Pre ARC LS10 BDP/CD OPPO UDP-205/Emotiva ERC-3 DAC Emotiva Stealth DC-1 R2R Ampex 440C/B FM Sansui TU-9900 Speakers OMA NYer/Nola/Dahlquist/XTZ Sub 2 Epik Conquest Racks Adona Wire TP, WW, EA, AQ Treats GIK
Old 12-12-2008, 11:20 PM   #11
Power Member

Jan 2008

If there is already a spot to screw the spikes into the bottom of your speakers make sure you get the proper size. Not all "spikes" are created equal either.

There are sonic benefits having your speakers isolated from the floor.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:37 PM   #12

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturephoto1 View Post
You may wish to have a look at this thread that I started yesterday about footera (a wide variety) that will probably do better than the regular spikes (but will probably be more expensive):

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=75407

Rich
I have no doubt these will work admirably and just as they were intended to perform. However, they are overkill in terms of price for many members here. When you're spending $1,000, or sometimes much less, on a 5.1 speaker setup, these feet or cones or spikes will not improve the quality of sound to any significent degree, as the speakers themselves cannot identify the nuances of the tweek.

Once you get to a mid-fi level of speaker (like my Totem Sttaf floorstanders), the advantages of incorporating more expensive tweeks become more realistic and price-proportionate. As such, in my case, I would certainly investigate the products from Herbie's, were I in the market for them.

I thank you for the link and have bookmarked it in my Audio Accessories Favourite folder for future reference.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:40 PM   #13

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdabb View Post
If there is already a spot to screw the spikes into the bottom of your speakers make sure you get the proper size. Not all "spikes" are created equal either.

There are sonic benefits having your speakers isolated from the floor.
Agreed 100%. Less surface contact is key. And not just for speakers either.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:40 AM   #14

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar780 View Post

1. Vibration isolation

I can understand the sharp points for keeping the speakers from moving. But is there science that makes the points better from an audio reason? Would three jack screws with swivel feet or pads work equally as well?

Exsample http://www.carrlane.com/Catalog/inde...3C3B285352445E
Panasonic TH 50PS77U TV Panasonic DMP-BD-30
Yamaha RX-V863 Panamax 5400 PM
Front L/R Klipsch F3's
Center Klipsch C3
Surround Klipsch F3's
Rear L/R Klipsch F2's
Four subs klipsch KSW-12
Presence Klipsch SS.5
Old 12-13-2008, 01:47 AM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008
Brooks Alberta

When you have no spikes on your speakers and you crank the volume you may notice that you can feel it all over the floor, stuff rattling etc.

When you have spikes fitted it minimizes the contact between speaker and floor keeping the vibrations in the air where they belong.

The end result: clearer mid range and improved bass response.
PSN: Casualk1ll3r
Old 12-13-2008, 06:10 AM   #16
Special Member

Mar 2008
Grande Prairie, Alberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualKiller View Post
When you have no spikes on your speakers and you crank the volume you may notice that you can feel it all over the floor, stuff rattling etc.

When you have spikes fitted it minimizes the contact between speaker and floor keeping the vibrations in the air where they belong.

The end result: clearer mid range and improved bass response.
yup... basically summed up what i was gonna say lol
TV: Panasonic TC-P42G10Players:250 GB PS3 Slim Receivers:Onkyo 705, 8555 Speakers:Klipsch RF-35s, RS-42s, RC-35, RW12d, Tannoy DC4Ts

"Where you hear the free exchange of ideas, I hear a thousand idiots typing 'First' as fast as they can."
"Well surely people must write other things on the internet, what do they post after 'First'?"
"Second, third and so on, until finally they grow weary of numerals, and begin to compare the topic at hand to Nazis or homosexual intercourse"
Old 12-13-2008, 06:17 AM   #17
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007
Miami, FL
Send a message via AIM to JJ Send a message via Yahoo to JJ

Wait, hold on - so I should use the spikes it came with? I didn't want to simply because I thought it would make the old girls much more tip prone and less stable, I just use the little cushiony rubber pads it came with instead. I honestly thought the only difference was the flooring material they were going to go on! You learn something new everyday, great thread chaps. I'm going to have to give it a whirl.

#HozayCinema - 7.1.4
Sonus Faber Venere | Verus Grand Center
Emotiva XPA-3 - A700 - A300 | Epik Empire | Verus Surrounds
Vizio P75-C1 | Denon AVR-X4400H | Sony PS4 | Oppo UDP-203
Old 12-13-2008, 06:46 AM   #18
Special Member

Mar 2008
Grande Prairie, Alberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJxiv1215 View Post
Wait, hold on - so I should use the spikes it came with? I didn't want to simply because I thought it would make the old girls much more tip prone and less stable, I just use the little cushiony rubber pads it came with instead. I honestly thought the only difference was the flooring material they were going to go on! You learn something new everyday, great thread chaps. I'm going to have to give it a whirl.
I've seen some speakers (including my own) that come with what is equivalent to a rubber spike... basically a bolt with a round rubber pad on the end which has minimal contact surface

the only way you would lose stability is if the spikes were closer to the center of the speaker than your rubber pads... mine give the speakers a wider stance by about 2 inches

Old 12-13-2008, 09:05 AM   #19
Special Member

Jul 2008
So Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJxiv1215 View Post
Same Here...Mine came with both options as well

I just used the rubber ones due to hard-wood floors. Didn't know there was a difference, but now i see the light
Sony 52XBR4
Sony PS4
Pioneer Elite VSX-44
Polk Audio Monitor 70 S-2
Polk Audio CS2
Axiom QS-8 Surrounds
APC H15//Blue Lynk Remote
ED A2-300 Sub
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers