Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Home from the Hill (Blu-ray)
$13.99

Return of the Living Dead Part II (Blu-ray)
$25.70
12 hrs ago
Sicario (Blu-ray)
$4.00

Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Blockers (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Ash vs Evil Dead: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Tag (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Truth or Dare (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Pacific Rim: Uprising (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Star Trek: Stardate Collection (Blu-ray)
$32.99

Masters of Sex: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$35.99
21 hrs ago
Fraggle Rock: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$48.99
9 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 11-18-2008, 10:40 PM   #1

Nov 2008
Question please help me choose speakers

Hello. I know next to nothing about speakers, but I love my music. I was hoping that I could get some suggestions on which speakers I should buy. I'm finally ready to replace my Infinity SM82's from 1992. Thanks to all for any help you can provide!

My receiver is an old-school brushed-steel-and-wood-grain Technics from the early 80s. It has lots of power, still sounds great, and supports up to four speakers. One day I may upgrade to a new receiver, but maybe not soon.

As I will be occasionally be moving the speakers to the back of the house to listen to in the backyard, I would prefer everything under one hood, but I am willing to reconsider if that sacrifices too much quality.

I went into Best Buy and was recommended Definitive Technology 3-way floorstanding speakers w/built-in subwoofer (model BP7006BLA). Total cost for two is $1,299.96. The salesman also recommended the dual 5-1/4" 2-way center-channel speaker (model CLR2002BLA; $529.98) in addition. I tried to research the quality of these components, but couldn't find much online, so I am completely ignorant as to whether they are good or how they compare to other brands.

Budget: around $1000 (can be a bit flexible if it's really worth it).
Use: mainly for music, but also for HT.
Predominant music styles: indie rock, hip hop, electronic. I love deep gut-reverberating bass, but also want a bright, crisp sound on the high frequencies.
Size: Smaller is better, but I don't want to completely sacrifice size for sound. I would prefer those small Bose-style wall-mounted speakers, but not if they're overpriced and/or underperform.

If there is a more appropriate forum on which to post this, please let me know.

Thanks again for any help!

Last edited by dima; 11-19-2008 at 03:27 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:54 PM   #2
Banned

Aug 2008

Step 1) Listen to a lot of live music, both amplified & acoustic

Step 2) At work, home, the mall…wherever you happen to be, close your eyes, and just listen to the sounds around you

Step 3) Go to your local retailers and see what speakers they have in your price range

Step 4) Arrange for an in home audition – if the store doesn’t offer in home auditions, make sure they have a good return policy

Step 5) Listen to some models you think you’ll like in the store

Step 6) Take home a pair for audition. Don’t start out with the whole system, just listen to some two channel music you’re familiar with

Step 7) Remember the sounds you heard in steps 1 & 2 – do the speakers come close to that?

Step 8) Audition several pair until you find the ones that sound best TO YOU

Step 9) Be satisfied in the knowledge that you should never allow someone else make subjective decisions for you

Step 10) Get the rest of the system, hook it up, balance it out, and drive those speakers for a while to break them in

Step 11) Enjoy. You can thank me later
Old 11-18-2008, 11:05 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2008
7 Cities, VA

I've never listened to Def Techs myself, but I've never heard anything negative about them. There are a lot of Def Tech fans up here that should be able to help you out. There's still no substitute for your own ears so check them out and compare to some other speakers in the same price range and decide which you like the most. Its best to use the same receiver for all of the speakers you test so you get a true comparison.
106" Motorized 16x9 Screen - Optoma GT700 Projector - Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M Plasma 1080p(living room)
Panasonic PX75U 50" Plasma 768p(bedroom)
Pioneer SC-05/Crown XLS1000 Amp & Martin Logan Preface Left/Right, Fresco Center, Sunfire HRS-12 Sub, Harman Kardon HKTS 11 5.1 sub/satellites = 7.2(living room) Onkyo HT-RC180 & JBL CST55/Energy Act6 5.1(bedroom) PS3 60GB and Xbox 360(living room) PS3 40GB(bedroom) Harmony One remote(living room)
My blood runs Blu!!!
Old 11-18-2008, 11:18 PM   #4
Banned

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by dima View Post
I went into Best Buy and was recommended Definiteve Technology 3-way floorstanding speakers w/built-in subwoofer (model BP7006BLA). Total cost for two is $1,299.96. The salesman also recommended the dual 5-1/4" 2-way center-channel speaker (model CLR2002BLA; $529.98) in addition. I tried to research the quality of these components, but couldn't find much online, so I am completely ignorant as to whether they are good or how they compare to other brands.

No sense in going full bore without an HT receiver

I would prefer those small Bose-style wall-mounted speakers, but not if they're overpriced and/or underperform.

The hallmark of Better Off w/Something Else

Old 11-18-2008, 11:27 PM   #5
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007
Miami, FL
Send a message via AIM to JJ Send a message via Yahoo to JJ

If you have the time, then honestly, all we can do is give you suggestions, not pick the speakers for you. It's an intensive process, at least it was for me - few months learning all the terminology and basic technology of it, and then an entire summer doing brand research and listening to every speaker I could get my ears on. At the end, you can make an informed decision, with your array of knowledge in hand. And its a GREAT learning process.

#HozayCinema - 7.1.4
Sonus Faber Venere | Verus Grand Center
Emotiva XPA-3 - A700 - A500 | SVS SB16-Ultra | SVS Ultra Surrounds
Vizio P75-C1 | Denon AVR-X4400H | Sony PlayStation 4 | Oppo UDP-203
Old 11-18-2008, 11:46 PM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008
Tampa Bay, Florida

You need to look into a new receiver.
My recommended setup for Home Theater Virgins:

Speakers: Polk Monitor 50's, Polk Monitor 40's, Polk CS2 Center, and eD subwoofer or
HTIB: Polk 5.1 system and
Receiver: Non-Network Onkyo TX-SR608 or Onkyo HT-RC180 Network Receiver
Monoprice-For all your cable needs...

Personal Setup + Subwoofer
Old 11-19-2008, 01:16 AM   #7
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Definitive Technology speakers are excellent. Their super towers with the built-in subwoofers are full-range speakers and are highly rated. I own the top-of-the-line model and I am very satisfied. These are some reviews of Def Tech speakers:
http://www.definitivetech.com/reviews/reviews.html
HT Room: Panasonic PT-AE8000, Epson 1080UB Proj., Mitsubishi 65" Diamond Series HD TV, Yamaha-RX-A3010 Rec., CinePro 6-Ch. Amp. (350 W/Ch, 8 Ohm), Proton D1200 Amp., Behringer EP4000 & EPX3000 Amps., Oppo BDP-83, Sony BDP-S790, Audio Technica Tuntable, Mitsubishi S-VHS, 2 Def. Tech. Super Towers w 15" subs, 1 Def. Tech. Center & 1 Martin-Logan Center, 2 Def. Tech. Surr. & 2 PSB Surr., 2 Cadence Presence, 2 Bose 901 Rears, 2 Modified HSU 12" Subs, 1 ED DIY 12" Sub, 1 ED DIY 15" Sub, Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer Equalizer, DirecTV HD, Monster HTS 5000 & APC H15 Power Conditioners.
Two-Channel Room: XiangSheng Tube Preamp., Carver TFM-45 Amp. (375 W/Ch), Behringer EPX4000 Amp., Onkyo CD player, Denon Turntable, Yamaha Tuner, 2 Vintage Polk RTA-15TL Speakers, 2 LCY 100 Super Tweeters, 2 DIY Folded Horn Super Towers with 15" Sub., 1 Modified AA HD-SUB12
Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" Diamond Series TV, Yamaha DSP-A3090 Rec., DirecTV HD-DVR, PS3, Zvox Speaker, 1 DIY 12" Sub.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:46 PM   #8
Expert Member

Nov 2008
Canada

Look at Paradigm speakers and a denon amp, don't shop at Best Buy for speakers and as for bose stay away.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:30 AM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:

I went into Best Buy and was recommended Definitive Technology 3-way floorstanding speakers w/built-in subwoofer (model BP7006BLA). Total cost for two is $1,299.96. The salesman also recommended the dual 5-1/4" 2-way center-channel speaker (model CLR2002BLA; $529.98) in addition. I tried to research the quality of these components, but couldn't find much online, so I am completely ignorant as to whether they are good or how they compare to other brands.
I have Definitive Super Towers (the full-sized ST units) with Mythos One, Three, and Seven units scattered around. Absolutely great speakers, but don't be fooled: the subwoofers in the ST's are not good as subwoofers. They really make the speakers the full-range speakers from hell.

At the price you were quoted, I'm thinking they were quoting you for Mythos One speakers, which are also terrific. These are "bright" speakers, with small cavities, so you won't get the resonance ("warmth") you might get from other designs. But they're terrific.

Keep the amp. I owned several versions of Technics receivers over the years, and all are very, very good. Lots of power, they'll drive the Definitive's very well. Other efficient speakers, at lower cost, are in the Klipsch line, take a look at those.

Moving up from there takes you into the 4-ohm speaker world, which would smoke your receiver (voice of experience here).

Good luck, shop hard, prices are coming way down on everything, and I think you'll find some good deals out there on Def Tech stuff.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:56 PM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2008
Ottawa,Canada
Send a message via MSN to TheZoof

I just got some PSB speakers and they rock. The size is perfect. Are you only buying 2? If your only buying two then I would get some Paradigm Monitor series. If you want 5.1 then get the PSB Alpha kit. They are amazing.
The Zoof

Theater Room - Samsung 82MU8000 | Pioneer SC-LX901 | Sony UBP X-800 | Paradigm 85F - 55C - 15B - E80R | Syzygy SLF870

Living Room Pioneer Kuru KRP-500M | Pioneer SC-25 | Panasonic DMP-BD89 | PSB

Fav Blu Right Now - Interstellar
Old 11-28-2008, 04:34 AM   #11
Banned

Feb 2008
Magic Kingdom, FL
Send a message via AIM to ixlegitballinxl

klipsch anyone?

you can't go wrong with any of the brands mentioned above
Old 11-28-2008, 04:46 AM   #12

Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest

+1 !!!
Brent

Changing to 4K ~ Got the 60" TV & enjoying the 4K Blu-rays.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:54 AM   #13

Dec 2007

Def Tech is a solid performing brand - the best thing you could do is listen to a variety of speakers - If you can do it in your home - that's even better Then pick what you like according to your listening taste.
Infinity Comp Prelude P-FR, Infinity Comp Overture 1 - center & front hght and sides, Infinity fps-1000 rear and rear hght, Infinity Outrigger Jr. overheads, 2 AE AV15 Power Cube subwoofers, SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2 DCM Subs (rear), Denon AVR-X4300H (front hght and Prepro), Yamaha MX-830 (rear hght), B&K 200.7 Reference Amp, Behringer NU4-6000 (subs),miniDSP 2X4, BD HTPC, Tube DAC, NAS 20tb , 16:9 110", Vivitek hk2288 4k proj, TCL Roku 4K TV.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:10 AM   #14

Jul 2008

After months of browsing AV forums, including ones like this, I can say the most common speaker brands that come up are Polk and Klipsch. You can hear Klipsch at Best Buy and Polk at Circuit City. Both are good entry level brands.

Listening to them in the store is borderline useless. They have to be at home, in your listening envirionment. Sometimes what sounded poor in the store will sound good at home, and vice versa.

Definitive Tech seem like a good brand. I hear about them a lot and none of it is bad.

For your budget, I'd go for an Onkyo 705 receiver and pick up a pair of Polk Monitor 50s, a Polk CS1 center and an Elemental Designs A2-300 subwoofer. That would put you at about $1,100 total.

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR705.../dp/B000OBMX0K

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Mon...7855983&sr=1-4

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Mon..._bxgy_e_text_b

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=407
Old 11-28-2008, 06:17 AM   #15

Jul 2008

I just noticed you prefer the smaller speakers. The above Polk 50s are small towers and the subwoofer is a giant.

I can easily recommend an Energy Take-5 system. They sound amazing (I own them) and while they won't be as powerful as the above setup, they are probably the best satellite speaker system you can buy at this price range. About $450!

http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Classic...7856331&sr=1-1
Old 12-11-2008, 05:49 PM   #16

Nov 2008

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I am still researching my options.

No one could give me a few good speaker stores in Portland, OR that would offer a wide range of options. If anyone has recommendations, please let me know. Thank you.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:13 PM   #17

Dec 2007

Quote:

No one could give me a few good speaker stores in Portland, OR that would offer a wide range of options. If anyone has recommendations, please let me know. Thank you.
http://www.pearlaudiovideo.com/Pearl...ideo/Home.html
http://www.fredsoundofmusic.com/brand_list.html

If you are not afraid of the used market - you can get the best deals from Freds used area known on Audiogon as Hawthorn's!!!!
Infinity Comp Prelude P-FR, Infinity Comp Overture 1 - center & front hght and sides, Infinity fps-1000 rear and rear hght, Infinity Outrigger Jr. overheads, 2 AE AV15 Power Cube subwoofers, SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2 DCM Subs (rear), Denon AVR-X4300H (front hght and Prepro), Yamaha MX-830 (rear hght), B&K 200.7 Reference Amp, Behringer NU4-6000 (subs),miniDSP 2X4, BD HTPC, Tube DAC, NAS 20tb , 16:9 110", Vivitek hk2288 4k proj, TCL Roku 4K TV.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:19 PM   #18

Oct 2008
Nutley, NJ

Quote:

Dima,

You are in a tough position as music and HT systems tend to be quite different.

Do you listen to your music in the same room as you will be watching your HT?

Are you looking for a complete home theater? 5.1? 7.1?

Even though your Technics supports up to 4 speakers, I am sure what you mean is 2 on "A" and 2 on "B". I would be careful trying to drive 4 speakers like that continuously.

Also, I saw you mentioned a center speaker. Obviously you know that driving 4 speakers on a 2 channel amp will not give you any channel separation with a center channel, correct?

How large is the room these speakers are going into? Are there any openings or is it a sealed room?

Is $1000 what you want to spend total? Or is that what you have to start now?
Panasonic 58S1 Plasma
Tivo Series 3 l PS3 l Toshiba HD-A3 l Denon CD Player l Wii l Onkyo TT
Paradigm Millenia 200s/20cc/Atom v6 l HSU VTF-3 MK3
Yamaha RX-v1700 l APC 1500VA
Old 12-11-2008, 09:02 PM   #19

Nov 2008

This is mostly for music, although my (eventual) flat-screen TV will be hooked in, too. So probably no 5.1 or 7.1 (I have to admit I don't fully understand what these mean other than there are multiple speakers surrounding the room).

I do not know what is necessary for a center channel to function properly nor what a center channel technically does. If a center channel isn't necessary for music, I can live without it.

The living room is 12.5' x 11.75' and has no doors.

$1000 is what I'd like to spend total, although I would be willing to spend a bit more if it is really worth it. My ears are human, not bat, if you know what I mean.

Thanks again.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:58 PM   #20

Oct 2008
Nutley, NJ

Quote:
This is mostly for music, although my (eventual) flat-screen TV will be hooked in, too. So probably no 5.1 or 7.1 (I have to admit I don't fully understand what these mean other than there are multiple speakers surrounding the room).

I do not know what is necessary for a center channel to function properly nor what a center channel technically does. If a center channel isn't necessary for music, I can live without it.

The living room is 12.5' x 11.75' and has no doors.

$1000 is what I'd like to spend total, although I would be willing to spend a bit more if it is really worth it. My ears are human, not bat, if you know what I mean.

Thanks again.
Why are you looking to get rid of your Technics receiver? Those old Technics are great for 2 channel music.
Panasonic 58S1 Plasma
Tivo Series 3 l PS3 l Toshiba HD-A3 l Denon CD Player l Wii l Onkyo TT
Paradigm Millenia 200s/20cc/Atom v6 l HSU VTF-3 MK3
Yamaha RX-v1700 l APC 1500VA
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers