Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Liar Liar (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Robots / Horton Hears a Who / Rio (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning / The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Intolerable Cruelty (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
History of the World: Part I (Blu-ray)
$6.16
High Plains Drifter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Olympus Has Fallen (Blu-ray)
$12.70
Reality Bites (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Gambit (Blu-ray)
$21.98
Weird Science (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Old 04-11-2007, 02:06 PM   #1

Apr 2007
Default Blu-ray Upscaling?

I saw a Blu-ray player that was on amazon.com and it said it could upscale Regular dvd's to High Definition. It was probably the most expensive blu-ray player out there. But I didn't know we had the technology to up regular dvds to HD.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:14 PM   #2

Mar 2007

they say it does but doesnt do much from what i see
52" Sony BRAVIA Lcd "KDL52XBR2"
Yamaha HTR6090B 7.1
PS3
HDMI all the way!
110+ blu-ray's
No crapy hd-dvd's
Old 04-13-2007, 12:38 AM   #3
Banned

Feb 2007
South Korea

A computer will upscale perfectly, if you can input your video card into your TV somehow.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:58 AM   #4

Apr 2007

You can get an upscaling dvd player for under 50 bucks at Walmart.
Home Theater Setup

Samsung HL-S5679W 56" LED Engine 1080p DLP HDTV
Playstation 3 60gb

Yamaha RX-V659 Reciever
Athena -- LS Series Home Theater System
Hsu Technologies STF-2 Subwoofer

Blu-ray Collection - 7
Old 04-14-2007, 06:21 AM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2006
Atlanta, Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmmaker85 View Post
I saw a Blu-ray player that was on amazon.com and it said it could upscale Regular dvd's to High Definition. It was probably the most expensive blu-ray player out there. But I didn't know we had the technology to up regular dvds to HD.
Standalone Blu-ray players do a good job of upscaling regular DVDs. However, the PS3 will no do this, yet...but it is scheduled to be in a future firmware upgrade.
My Blu-ray/DVD Collection
PS3 Games: 34 + 20 PSN games
Sony PS3 60/160GB and 40GB
Sony KDSR70XBR2 HDTV
Sony STRDA5200ES 1080p Upconverting A/V Receiver
Old 04-14-2007, 06:37 AM   #6

Dec 2006

The cheapest 1080p upscalling DVD player I've seen is the new Phillips model for 70 dollars. The most expensive DVD player I've seen is a Denon and it was about 900 bucks. Yikes!
Old 04-17-2007, 09:56 AM   #7

Apr 2007
London town, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpspin View Post
The cheapest 1080p upscalling DVD player I've seen is the new Phillips model for 70 dollars. The most expensive DVD player I've seen is a Denon and it was about 900 bucks. Yikes!
Yeah, but the Denon has some pretty hard-core hardware upscaling built into it, hence the price tag. It's been getting rave reviews.

I have a mid-range pioneer with upscaling. The upscaling pretty much sucked so now I'm using my Sony STR-DA 5200ES receiver to handle upscaling for me as it comes with some pretty mean hardware video upscaling built into it.

SFK
Old 04-17-2007, 02:47 PM   #8
Expert Member

Jan 2007
Ft. Worth

Upscaling...

Many look at upscaling as the holy grail, take a sows ear, and turn it into a silk purse. But come on guys, while it may look a bit better than straight up dvd, to imply that anything upscales to DVDs to HD quality is hogwash. If the data to render the pixels isn't there, the data isn't there, and while a computer may be able to interpret the existing pixels to make a reasonable approximation of what the additional "intermediate" pixels SHOULD be, to say that a computer will "upscale perfectly" is darned misleading.

Upscaling can breathe a bit of life into your existing DVD collection, but don't fool yourself into thinking that it makes DVDs true "High Definition" - if its too good to be true, it probably isn't
PS3 - Formerly 60, now the 250Gb variety :cool:
Mitsubishi 73" DLP
Onkyo TX-SR705
7.1 Speakers - Polk RTi-12s in front, RTi-10s in back, dbx sides, cambridge soundworks center, and Pioneer powered Sub
Old 04-17-2007, 02:51 PM   #9
Site Manager

Aug 2006
USiberia

And here I thought when I read the title of this thread is was about upscaling BD 1080s to one of those 4k displays phloyd saw in las Vegas!
Old 04-17-2007, 02:54 PM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2006
Switzerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman_II View Post
Upscaling...

Many look at upscaling as the holy grail, take a sows ear, and turn it into a silk purse. But come on guys, while it may look a bit better than straight up dvd, to imply that anything upscales to DVDs to HD quality is hogwash. If the data to render the pixels isn't there, the data isn't there, and while a computer may be able to interpret the existing pixels to make a reasonable approximation of what the additional "intermediate" pixels SHOULD be, to say that a computer will "upscale perfectly" is darned misleading.

Upscaling can breathe a bit of life into your existing DVD collection, but don't fool yourself into thinking that it makes DVDs true "High Definition" - if its too good to be true, it probably isn't
Yep, I agree. I bought the Denon also for it's audio qualities (SACD/DVD-Audio and good DA-Converters), but to be honest, after the raving reviews it got I was a bit disappointed with the PQ for DVDs. I can't compare to cheaper ones, since this was my first upscaler, but I expected a little more. Oh well, once you go blu, it's blu all the way
Old 04-18-2007, 01:16 PM   #11

Apr 2007

I bought a Denon 2910 (I think that's the model no.) a few Christmases ago, and while it's a great DVD-A and SACD player, its DVD performance really sucks. Pictures are noticeably soft and poorly defined. Worst of all is the output from the HDMI, which looks excellent but is WAY out of sync with the sound (switching back to component, it's rock solid in sync...).

I'll never buy Denon again...

Last edited by Best of Both Worlds; 04-18-2007 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:22 PM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2006
Switzerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Best of Both Worlds View Post
Worst of all is the output from the HDMI, which looks excellent but is WAY out of sync with the sound (switching back to component, it's rock solid in sync...).
That is odd though. I've never had this problem. Maybe they fixed that for the 2930
Old 04-18-2007, 01:47 PM   #13

Apr 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDJK View Post
That is odd though. I've never had this problem. Maybe they fixed that for the 2930
It shocked me! I had put the player into store, and only dug it out again last week. Plugged it in via HDMI for the first time ever. Great pics, sound easily half a second out of sync. Atrocious. I suspect it may have been one of the first Denon models with HDMI and they got it horribly wrong...

Glad to hear your 2930 isn't similarly afflicted!
Old 04-18-2007, 01:49 PM   #14
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2006
Switzerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Best of Both Worlds View Post
It shocked me! I had put the player into store, and only dug it out again last week. Plugged it in via HDMI for the first time ever. Great pics, sound easily half a second out of sync. Atrocious. I suspect it may have been one of the first Denon models with HDMI and they got it horribly wrong...

Glad to hear your 2930 isn't similarly afflicted!
You know, I just remembered, there is a menu item in which you can adjust any AV latency issues. I'll have to check the manual again, but take a look, it might be working after some adjustmenst after all.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:54 PM   #15

Mar 2007
East Molesey, Surrey, UK

My BD10a upscaled (very well) but the PS3 doesn't. The difference between non-upscaled and upscaled playback is noticable on some DVD films, but not on others.

I'm hoping the firmware update (oh, they're so mysterious!) will trigger an upscaling mode as it does help in some way.
If I'm not here, I'll be elsewhere, probably writing music using my Mac and additional peripherals. :) I love technology.

www.filterlab.co.uk
Old 04-18-2007, 02:05 PM   #16

Apr 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDJK View Post
You know, I just remembered, there is a menu item in which you can adjust any AV latency issues. I'll have to check the manual again, but take a look, it might be working after some adjustmenst after all.
Thanks for the pointer. I'll check it out...
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders