Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Diary of a Wimpy Kid Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$16.98
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Gravity (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Reality Bites (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Ripper Street: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Weird Science (Blu-ray)
$6.96
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Ocean Giants (Blu-ray)
$11.99
The Goonies (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Pacific Rim 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Blu-ray)
$10.99
Despicable Me 2 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Ferris Bueller's Day Off (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Robin Hood (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 12-23-2008, 10:31 PM   #1

Nov 2008
Default Death race or Burn after reading

Which should I get? I havent seen either of them, so it would be a blind buy. But I wanted to see both of them.

I know they are different. I just want to know which of the 2 you would get.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:33 PM   #2

Oct 2008
Central Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3blurayuser View Post
Which should I get? I havent seen either of them, so it would be a blind buy. But I wanted to see both of them.

I've seen Death Race, I thought it was terrible. I say go with Burn After Reading. Althought i never saw BAR I really wanted to though and the cast is pretty good in that movie much better than Death Race.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:36 PM   #3
Special Member

Apr 2008
Orcutt, Cali

I haven't seen either movie, but going from what I saw from previews, Burn After Reading looks way better to me.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:40 PM   #4

Nov 2008

i haven't seen either of them, but i would rent before you buy for those. death race didn't look very interesting to me, and burn after reading had some mixed reviews. i would go with that one though, as you can't really fail with the cohen brothers.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:45 PM   #5
Special Member

Mar 2008

Burn After Reading is hilarious. I would definitely prefer it over Death Race.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:46 PM   #6

Jan 2008
Minnesota

you can very much fail with the cohen brothers. it all depends on personally tastes. i know of a plethora of people that cant sand cohen flicks.

death race looked mighty stupid to me from the previews. i did see burn after reading. it had its funny parts here and there, and some intriguing parts else where throughout the movie, but i could never recommend this movie as a blind buy. its very different, as most cohen brothers movies are. so blind buy at your own risk. it definitely was not what i was expecting out of the movie, but that doesnt necessarily decredit the movie as a good flick.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:47 PM   #7
Power Member

Oct 2008
West Hollywood, California

Burn After Reading...any day!
Old 12-23-2008, 10:50 PM   #8
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2007
Club Loop

I saw Burn After Reading in the theaters and liked it. But the more I think about it, it is probably the kind of movie that will get better and better with repeat viewing (as are most Cohen Bros for me).

Didnt see Death race.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:55 PM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2007
New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to Siri Send a message via MSN to Siri

Have seen both, would go with death race, i own both. but if i could only pick one, itd be death race
Old 12-24-2008, 12:02 AM   #10

Nov 2008
Canada

Get Burn after Reading
Old 12-24-2008, 12:05 AM   #11
Power Member

Sep 2007
Twin Cities
Send a message via Yahoo to mr.hidef

The cohen brothers are way too hit or miss........

(It's probably more like......"Burn after viewing" )
Old 12-24-2008, 12:26 AM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2008
7 Cities, VA

I've seen both. First the good: Burn After Reading is very funny...if you like dark comedies which I do...a lot. The story is nothing fancy but the characters are what make this movie. Great casting and directing make for some great laughs.

Now for the bad...I mean horrible: Death Race...what can I say? I've seen my share of bad movies, but this is easily in the top ten for worst movies ever made! I mean, this movie just insults every bit of intelligence a person has. There is nothing, and I mean nothing that's remotely plausible in this movie. What makes matters worse is that they actually try to keep a straight face about this. They actually take this whole thing seriously without a wink to let you know that this is just for fun....if it could even be fun that is. Imagine if Uwe Boll used an entire budget and you get Death Race. I think half of this budget went in Jason Statham's pocket. Tyrese got a good 25% and the other 25% went to everything else. This trash is just horrible. It was so bad my friend regretted downloading it, but he felt like it had to be watched since he used the bandwidth. It was a blu-ray rip by the way, so it was over 4GB's. We both laughed so much, but....we weren't supposed to be laughing!!! This movie is just plain absurd. I hated it so much that I could write a book detailing every aspect of crappiness from start to finish, and it would be a full book! Obviously there's no need to go to school to become a director or a writer. This movie completely proves it. I swear that there are moments in this movie where Jason Statham has a look on his face like...'Where's my check!'
Old 12-24-2008, 02:51 AM   #13
Expert Member

Dec 2007
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3blurayuser View Post

Death Race is a fantastic action flick, i own it and watched it twice already... Burn after reading is meh... and never watch again

Dont listen to the above posters they have no idea what they are talking about. The moving takes place in the near future, due to a recession/depression jobs are lost, crime sky rockets and prisons get overloaded. So the prisons become owned privately for profit... (with todays economy, this could certainly happen) in the prison Jason Statham is sent, they race, sort of like, running man with vehicles for their freedom..... this is harder to belive but not by much
Old 12-24-2008, 03:23 AM   #14
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2007
BC, Canada

It really depends on you.

Death Race is a so so mindless action movie which feels a lot like the condemned. If you've seen that and liked it, you'll most likely enjoy Death Race. It should also looked and sound great on Blu.

Haven't seen Burn After Reading yet, but I've heard great things and will be blind buying it myself. If you didn't like the condemned or have troiuble turning your mind off and just enjoying mindless action movies, definitely get BAR.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:32 AM   #15

Nov 2008

I havent seen burn after reading but did see death race. Its not worth watching twice. The PQ and SQ was great though. However the story really sucks. What are the chance that a warden in prison comes find a guy that just lost his job to set him up with murder?
Old 12-24-2008, 03:54 AM   #16
Special Member

Apr 2007
MIssissippi

both
Old 12-24-2008, 04:03 AM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2008
South Dakota

I've seen both. Death Race is your run-of-the-mill mindless predictable 'it's already been done a million times' action movie. It does have some nice gore if that's your thing, and I'm sure the Blu-ray will give your surround system a workout. On the other hand, we have Burn After Reading, which is, IMO, one of the best films of the year. It's average Coen brothers material in every sense. I was telling a friend about it and called it 'The Big Lebowski, but with more bloodshed and with darker comedy'. The acting and story are superb, although there is a very anti-climactic and unexpected ending, which is definitely an acquired taste as is evident with their previous movie No Country For Old Men. I personally recommend Burn After Reading. You can definitely afford to pass up Death Race entirely.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:46 AM   #18

Sep 2008
Chicago

The chair George Clooney made in Burn After Reading made me think "WTF am i watching".
Old 12-24-2008, 05:05 AM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2008
South Dakota

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000gto View Post
The chair George Clooney made in Burn After Reading made me think "WTF am i watching".
That part was freaking hilarious!
Old 12-24-2008, 05:21 AM   #20

Oct 2008

Hmmmm...latest movie from some of our greatest living filmmakers, or this week's Jason Statham vehicle.

I really can't imagine how someone could have this thought.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America