Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Willow (Blu-ray)
$11.12
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Faculty (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Hellsing Ultimate: Collection Volumes 5-8 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.97
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
White Christmas (Blu-ray)
$18.69
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.93
Wrong Turn Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$172.59
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$17.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software

Old 12-29-2008, 12:20 PM   #1

Dec 2008
Default Can anyone help with Acer Aspire laptop and Blu Ray discs not playing

Hey, I recently bought an Acer Aspire laptop and use Acer arcade Deluxe. I got two blu ray discs recently - Iron Man and Prince Caspian. Iron Man plays fine (it is Paramount who don't region code their discs) but when I insert Prince Caspian in my drive it says "not correct region."

However there is NO option to change the region. I cannot find how to make my acer aspire play region 2.

I think the problem could be that it is currently set to region 1 because when I first put a region 2 DVD in it, the machine asked me if I wanted to swap to region 2 (it was defaulted to Region 1). My keyboard was also set up as a US keyboard when I first got the machine.

Can anyone confirm this and, if so, do you know how I go about changing the region on the blu ray? When I left click Acer Arcade Deluxe I don't get many options and "properties" does not lead to anything.

I have tried calling Acer but they just ring out and then you get transferred to a voice mail, which is full, and then they hang up on you. I'm thinking of taking the machine back at Acer are clearly incompetents.

But if someone can help - great!
Old 12-29-2008, 02:20 PM   #2

Dec 2008
Angry

i also have just bought a acer laptop (aspire 6920G). i have updated acer arcade deluxe,but i cannot play my blu-ray discs.
journey to the center of the earth - cant read disc/wrong region
hell boy 2 - starts ok/then when asked to play movie blank screen
iron man - as above.
hope some one can help
ACER web site is a waste of space
Old 12-29-2008, 05:09 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007
Hercules, CA

Seriously consider a Full Retail player software.
No reason to fight with OEM, ya know?

I highly recommend ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre, although PowerDVD 8 Ultra works well too!

Changing regions is as easy as a right click on the opened program and selecting Setup/Region & Parental...

VGN-AR190G - UJ-210S BD Burner
VGN-AR730E/B - UJ-120 BD Combo

like.no.other
Old 12-30-2008, 01:57 PM   #4

Dec 2008

I own a new Acer 8930 laptop which I think is a fantastic laptop (18.4 inch screen) and use it as my media centre connected to my 1080p Sony Bravia TV and hi-fi.

To change region code of the blu-ray drive, in Acer Arcade Deluxe, go to "Advanced" menu, select "Settings", then "BD" which then comes out with "Network Speed" and "Region Code". Select "Region Code" and whatever region you are in. The default region on my player was "A"

I find that the blu-ray player in Acer Arcade works in most instances, but having said that, have bought both Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre and PowerDVD Ultra 8 to have more flexibility and haven't regretted it.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:07 PM   #5

Dec 2008

I can't get Acer arcade deluxe to work at all, tried to update but it says no update is available.
Can anyone help?
Thanks
Old 12-31-2008, 04:10 AM   #6

Dec 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonedwards777 View Post
I can't get Acer arcade deluxe to work at all, tried to update but it says no update is available.
Can anyone help?
Thanks
Rather than just "it does not work", what exactly is the problem ?
Old 12-31-2008, 07:28 AM   #7

Dec 2008
Default some blu-ray titles fail with acer 8930 g

My story is, my new acer 8930g at first worked fine. The TRANSFORMERS movie played well. Then I installed the divx codec in order to reproduce AVI files with the windows media player. Then TRANSFORMERS ceased to play. I removed the codec, and nothing happened. I restored the computer to a earlier date, and TRANSFORMERS played again. A few days after that, I have installed some other software, and again, TRANSFORMERS refuses to play; It begins loading the movie, but afer a while, a message error appears telling I must reinitiate system (but doing it doesn't solve the problem). Other movies play fine (CLONE WARS, WE WERE SOLDIERS, KINGDOM OF HEAVEN) but OO7 DIE ANOTHER DAY also doesn't play (curiously, the trailers included does play, but he movie itself doesn't). I think the problem may be the ACER ARCADE DELUXE sotware. I am thinking of buying arcsoft total home theater, or power dvd 8 ultra. Some suggestions, please?

Last edited by migorol; 12-31-2008 at 07:21 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 12-31-2008, 07:23 PM   #8

Dec 2008
Default solved with power dvd

ok me again, I tried power dvd 8 ultra, and the movies that didn't play with arcade de luxe now play well. well, I will change to this software.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:50 PM   #9

Jan 2009
manchester uk
Thumbs up

i to had the same problem, i was told that acer arcade had some issues with bluray. once i purchased power dvd ultra 8. no problems. i would advise anyone reading these posts to do the same. bit expensive but worth it.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:29 PM   #10

Jan 2010

get power dvd, you can change the region settings in it easy
Old 03-26-2013, 04:47 PM   #11

Mar 2013

Some Aspire notebooks like acer Aspire 5920g, acer Aspire 8930g, acer Aspire 6935, etc ship with a Blu-Ray optical drive and the Acer Arcade media playback software. The version of Windows Media Player that ships with the notebook does not support playing Blu-Ray movies and Acer recommends using the Acer Arcade media playback sofware to play Blu-Ray movies, but it did not recognize some blu ray discs, so you can have purchased a lifetime UFUSoft blu-ray player software for reading them.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software