Best Blu-ray Deals

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Deadwood: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$58.99
Entourage: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$96.99
Treme: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$64.99
Guardians of the Galaxy 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$89.99
Rise of the Guardians 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3D (Blu-ray)
$69.99
Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 8 (Blu-ray)
$25.89
Big Hero 6 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Maze Runner (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Dark Knight Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$39.00
Rocky: Heavyweight Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 04-18-2007, 09:18 PM   #1

Apr 2007
Default New Releases

Has anyone seen the Dirty Dozen on Blu Ray? one of my favorite movies and i would love to hear that the blu ray version cleans up nicely thanks
Old 04-18-2007, 10:35 PM   #2
Site Manager

Aug 2006
USiberia

I just did a quick scan and it looks pretty good. Warner seems to do good jobs with classic movies. The clarity is so nice that everytime an optical (example: a dissolve, or a title) comes the dupe material looks blurry and soft, and then it goes back to the in camera film and it looks nice and sharp. It has some of that VC-1 clean signature that some might not like but from my brief exposure I liked most of what I saw specially those Lee Marvin close ups.
VC-1 ranging from 15 Mb/s to 29 Mb/s

Now why did you ask this question on a DVD-A/SACD thread?
Old 04-19-2007, 03:07 AM   #3

Jan 2007
Question The Dirty Dozen... How does it look?

Anyone seen the Dirty Dozen on BD yet? How does it look? I want to pick this up this Saturday on the Blu-ray buy-athon day but I'm worried that it's another low bitrate crapfest from Warner. The film I believe is about 2.5 hours long but they have a bunch of special features including the made for TV movie sequel all on the same disc. Now since this is a straight port of the HDDVD 30GB version, I'm kind of hesitant.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:47 AM   #4
Expert Member

Jan 2007
Ft. Worth

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoneFan View Post
Anyone seen the Dirty Dozen on BD yet? How does it look? I want to pick this up this Saturday on the Blu-ray buy-athon day but I'm worried that it's another low bitrate crapfest from Warner. The film I believe is about 2.5 hours long but they have a bunch of special features including the made for TV movie sequel all on the same disc. Now since this is a straight port of the HDDVD 30GB version, I'm kind of hesitant.
Not such a good transfer, a lot of the scenes are really "soft" and every now and then one comes along that was transfered almost properly.... all the better scenes do is point out how bad the bad scenes are... If you like the movie and don't have it on DVD, keep it... if not, well, thats up to you to decide.
PS3 - Formerly 60, now the 250Gb variety :cool:
Mitsubishi 73" DLP
Onkyo TX-SR705
7.1 Speakers - Polk RTi-12s in front, RTi-10s in back, dbx sides, cambridge soundworks center, and Pioneer powered Sub

Last edited by Iceman_II; 04-19-2007 at 04:50 AM.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:57 AM   #5

Jan 2007

It's still a step up from the DVD version right? I think I'll get it since my DVD version isn't even anamorphic.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:21 AM   #6
Site Manager

Aug 2006
USiberia

I'm gonna move two older posts related to your question here so they'lll show up above the first post ok?

Last edited by Deciazulado; 04-19-2007 at 05:25 AM.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:06 AM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2007
san die ego

i'm watching this right now. OMG it bugs me. some shots look great others look like they were out of focus. how many different types of film were used? it looks like they went form using 35mm to 16mm to 70mm (cropped) in a single scene. you'll be watching one scene and when they switch camera angles it goes from clean, but a little grainy, to out of focus and really grainy then back agian. grain is ok but its just weird. like switching from an hd broadcast to sd. back and forth. good movie....BAD WARNER BROS. wish they'd put more into the original movie's transfer and left the sequal off the disc.
the avatar is my grandpa 1912-2006
56'' samsung dlp (1080p), ps3, oppo dv-980h, onkyo sr605, jbl, polk & onkyo speakers, acoustech h100 & velodyne vx-10 subs (7.1), 200+ BDs, about 40 sacds, dualdiscs, dvd-a's, & a comfy couch. bedroom: 32'' vizio, BA TVee system & ps3
Old 07-09-2007, 02:47 AM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2006
Ontario, Canada

I just watched this movie tonight. Enjoyed it a lot, but like Deciazulado said, the optical shots appear blurry. Especially during the subtitled scenes.

Overall, it did look good. In the beginning, they could had tweaked around with the skin tone. The movie really didn't appear to be sharp most of the times, so I'll say a 3 to 4 out of 5 depending on the shots. Overall, it would have to be a 3.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:25 PM   #9
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2012
Georgia

I just finished watching my Blu-ray of The Dirty Dozen, and I have no complaints.

I approached this disc with the same mindset that I had when I watched the Blu-ray of The Great Escape, and I'm simply taking it in stride that Warner Bros. did a good job with the source material that they had. As with The Great Escape, I did not obsess over the picture quality simply because I was having too much fun being immersed in the story.

I'm going through the extra features now, and it's going to take me all night to do so. I'm loving the background information on the commentary track, which I'm listening to as I surf the web right now.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:55 PM   #10
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2012
Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Owl View Post
I just finished watching my Blu-ray of The Dirty Dozen, and I have no complaints.

I approached this disc with the same mindset that I had when I watched the Blu-ray of The Great Escape, and I'm simply taking it in stride that Warner Bros. did a good job with the source material that they had. As with The Great Escape, I did not obsess over the picture quality simply because I was having too much fun being immersed in the story.

I'm going through the extra features now, and it's going to take me all night to do so. I'm loving the background information on the commentary track, which I'm listening to as I surf the web right now.
Late last night, I watched the The Dirty Dozen: Next Mission, the 1985 made-for-TV sequel that comes as an extra supplementary feature on this Blu-ray. (This movie is, quite understandably, included in standard definition.)

This movie is...well...not great.

Fortunately, it is fun to watch if you're in the right mindset. The Dirty Dozen: Next Mission is actually more of a remake than a sequel, because it basically follows the exact same storytelling format, and even includes identical dialogue to the first movie in many scenes. The greatest aspect of this movie is watching Lee Marvin and Ernest Borgnine onscreen together again.

There are also some fun supporting roles from recognizable 1980s actors, like Ken Wahl (Wiseguy, Fort Apache the Bronx), Sonny Landham (Predator), and Ricco Ross (Aliens).
Old 10-07-2014, 05:07 PM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

I've yet to pick this up after all these years, though I think I had it on HD DVD back in the day. You're right, the PQ is unavoidably riddled with dupes and I doubt it'll ever get much better, so it's best enjoyed at face value.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:34 PM   #12
Special Member

Oct 2010
In a Galaxy far far away

It's unfortunately dupefest galore
Old 10-07-2014, 05:40 PM   #13
Blu-ray Archduke

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->89 SteelBooks™--------->133 UV-------->281

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'armée des ombres View Post
It's unfortunately dupefest galore
Yep. http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleich...less=1#auswahl
Old 10-07-2014, 06:52 PM   #14
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2012
Georgia

I actually held out for a long while before buying my Blu-ray of The Dirty Dozen, because I was hoping that a restoration would come down the pipes at some point. In the end, though, I was swayed by the five dollar price of this Blu-ray at a local used store, because I've been wanting to revisit the movie.

The basic rule of thumb here is that, if you have a serious problem with the Blu-ray of The Great Escape to the point that you are unable to enjoy the movie at all, then you may want to hold off on this 2007 Blu-ray of The Dirty Dozen. If, however, you can enjoy a movie on its own terms without expecting a crystal clear technical presentation, then this Blu-ray of The Dirty Dozen is well worth the inexpensive price these days.

The picture quality may not be stunningly good, but it is the best that we've got right now for this great film.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:45 PM   #15
Special Member

Oct 2010
In a Galaxy far far away

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Owl View Post
I actually held out for a long while before buying my Blu-ray of The Dirty Dozen, because I was hoping that a restoration would come down the pipes at some point. In the end, though, I was swayed by the five dollar price of this Blu-ray at a local used store, because I've been wanting to revisit the movie.

The basic rule of thumb here is that, if you have a serious problem with the Blu-ray of The Great Escape to the point that you are unable to enjoy the movie at all, then you may want to hold off on this 2007 Blu-ray of The Dirty Dozen. If, however, you can enjoy a movie on its own terms without expecting a crystal clear technical presentation, then this Blu-ray of The Dirty Dozen is well worth the inexpensive price these days.

The picture quality may not be stunningly good, but it is the best that we've got right now for this great film.
The extras are good at least
Old 10-08-2014, 12:13 AM   #16
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2012
Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'armée des ombres View Post
The extras are good at least
The extras are outstanding. As the official site review states, there's no filler on this disc.

In addition to the inferior, but fun television movie that I reviewed above, there are four impressive documentaries and an informative commentary track.
Thanks given by:
L'armée des ombres (10-08-2014)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America