Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Gremlins (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Gravity (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Reality Bites (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Ripper Street: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ocean Giants (Blu-ray)
$11.99
Diary of a Wimpy Kid Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$16.98
Weird Science (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Pacific Rim 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Planet Earth | Life (Blu-ray)
$54.99
The Goonies (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Despicable Me 2 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Beetlejuice (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Great Rift (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 08-03-2012, 09:35 PM   #1

Jan 2011
Default La Grande Illusion (StudioCanal)

La Grande Illusion Blu-ray

La Grande Illusion Blu-ray Review

So this came out last week, has anyone picked it up?? Haven't seen a thread.

Now my question is, I saw this in FYE today in a standard blu ray case....now I know StudioCanal has released past releases (i.e. The Third Man, Delicatessen, Ran, etc.) with slipcovers.....so I was wondering, is it supposed to come with a slipcover??
I also saw someone else mention it was released in digibook fashion (according to dvdbeaver)

so how is this release supposed to be packaged?

Last edited by Deciazulado; 08-03-2012 at 11:16 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:57 PM   #2
Power Member

Mar 2010

I got it, but have yet to watch it. I'm kind of disappointed with the quality of the packaging. I have some of the previous releases that all came with slipcovers and regular cases. This has no slipcover and one of those eco cases. Just a minor complaint I guess.

It seems to me they are trying to cut costs. Unless of course Amazon just took my slipcover, but I doubt that. I don't think their previous titles here in the states sold so well considering its been over at least a year and a half I think since the last Region A release. ( too lazy to go look up the exact date )

The digibook is the UK release. They are all released that way over there. Lucky limeys
Old 08-03-2012, 10:03 PM   #3
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal
Send a message via Yahoo to P@t_Mtl

Wonderful movie but anything with Jean Gabin is pretty much amazing

I think I will have to make and upgrade and sell my DVD
Old 08-03-2012, 10:27 PM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
a large castle in Segovia, Spain

there are extras included on the UK release that have been omitted from the US release including the introduction by Renoir and a short film by Renoir.
the US release is, of course, the same encode, but is garbage otherwise compared to the UK release which is in the nice digibook packaging.
Lionsgate is a joke.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:32 PM   #5
Special Member

Feb 2011

Yeah, I'll get around to picking up the UK version for this title. What's so hard about producing the same package everywhere? [Rights for certain elements withstanding, but I'm mostly talking packaging here].

In a related note, these Studio Canal Collection titles never seem to go on sale like BFI and MoC titles do.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:13 AM   #6
Power Member

Nov 2010
San Jose, CA

I have the French Release but have yet to watch it?
Old 08-04-2012, 12:48 AM   #7

Jun 2012
Nashville, TN

I need to get this one. Such a fantastic film. One of my all-tile favorite films.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:31 AM   #8
Special Member

Dec 2008

Is the US release of the Canals Third Man also on a Amaray and not digibook? If so I must pick it up along with Le Grande Illusion because I dislike digibooks, and here in Europe we're stuck on them..
Old 08-04-2012, 04:23 AM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2009
Calgary, Canada

Looks like the Canadian release will still have a slip for this one based on the Amazon.ca image. Lists it for next week though while Future Shop listed it for this week but don't have it online or in any stores so thinking they probably based it on the US date when we are getting it a week later
Old 08-09-2012, 10:51 PM   #10

Feb 2009
Minneapolis

Blown away by the picture quality on this one. I have the old Criterion DVD, this one is a revelation on blu-ray. Fortunately, I couldn't care less about slipcovers, etc.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #11

Dec 2010

So, all things considered, the UK is the one to get, right?
Old 09-27-2012, 09:21 PM   #12

Feb 2012
California

Saw the price sticker for this at the Beast last night. No copies left but it is $17.99 and according to the tag that price is good for the nearly all of October.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:39 PM   #13
Banned

Jul 2007
Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
there are extras included on the UK release that have been omitted from the US release including the introduction by Renoir and a short film by Renoir.
the US release is, of course, the same encode, but is garbage otherwise compared to the UK release which is in the nice digibook packaging.
Lionsgate is a joke.
TWO whole extras. That hardly qualifies as :garbage" or a "joke", considering the short film has nothing to do with the feature film anyway. And its not the intro that's missing (which isn't by Renoir as you stated but by Professor Ginette Vincendeau), it's Francois Giroud Remembers Shooting the Film, a remembrance by Renoir's script girl.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:18 PM   #14

Oct 2010
Georgia, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiltDownMan View Post
Saw the price sticker for this at the Beast last night. No copies left but it is $17.99 and according to the tag that price is good for the nearly all of October.
I picked it up at Best Buy last night. I saw the sales tag and then I was surprised to actually see a copy of it in store.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:51 PM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
a large castle in Segovia, Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by retablo View Post
TWO whole extras. That hardly qualifies as :garbage" or a "joke", considering the short film has nothing to do with the feature film anyway. And its not the intro that's missing (which isn't by Renoir as you stated but by Professor Ginette Vincendeau), it's Francois Giroud Remembers Shooting the Film, a remembrance by Renoir's script girl.
the extra I was referring to is entitled Presentation of the movie by Jean Renoir, who IS the director and it serves as an introduction to the film.
this extra is NOT present on the US bd, but was also present on the Criterion dvd. It is a sad omission from the US bd release.
so it is, in fact, more than 2 extras which have been omitted from the US release.

Last edited by Arkadin; 09-28-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:08 AM   #16
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

for folk who are in the DC metro area, the new Angelika Mosaic theater is showing this in DCP form - saw it on Tuesday - wow!
Old 10-03-2012, 07:53 PM   #17

Mar 2012
Ontario
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa85 View Post
Looks like the Canadian release will still have a slip for this one based on the Amazon.ca image. Lists it for next week though while Future Shop listed it for this week but don't have it online or in any stores so thinking they probably based it on the US date when we are getting it a week later
Received it today, and it does have a slip. It is bilingual though (although since the movie is in French anyway it doesn't bother me).
This one is through Alliance in Canada, which is a change because The Third Man and Ran, which I also have, weren't.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:08 AM   #18
Expert Member

Mar 2011

Picked up the Lionsgate release at Best Buy earlier in the week. Obviously it didn't come with the slipcover (disappointing), but I was doubly disappointed that there was no booklet inside the case. Was my copy missing it or are all copies that way? The other five (?) titles released in the US in this series have had booklets.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:25 PM   #19

Apr 2011

Got mine today (US release), also without the slipcover and booklet. What a disappointment.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:15 PM   #20
Expert Member

Mar 2011

I am okay with the slipcover vs digibook, but the addition of a booklet along with it made it feel like a premium release. Granted, the 'StudioCanal Collection' releases have generally been pretty good (not Criterion but better than average), but without both it doesn't feel like a premium product any longer (which these are priced as).
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America