Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Kingpin (Blu-ray)
$14.39
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Welcome to the Space Show (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Tommy Boy (Blu-ray)
$4.88
Congo (Blu-ray)
$8.69
The Girl Hunters (Blu-ray)
$19.99
How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Blu-ray)
$19.98
Raw Force (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 8 (Blu-ray)
$32.18
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 03-20-2013, 06:33 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2011
USA Sorcerer (William Friedkin) coming to Blu-ray

Sorcerer Blu-ray

IMDB - 7.7 ( 6,228 votes )

Rotten Tomatoes - 80% ( 30 reviews counted )

Quote:
Roy Scheider lends his intense talent taut action-adventure from director William Friedkin. Set on the edge of a South American jungle, a desperate four-man team, led by Scheider, must transport a volatile cargo of nitroglycerine over 200 miles of treacherous terrain in order to stop a potentially disastrous oil fire.

Enter into this potentially explosive mix of split-second strategy and jolting suspense set against an outstanding score by Tangerine Dream.
[Show spoiler]Update (9/13/13)

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________

Update (8/9/13):

Friedkin via Twitter:

Quote:
SORCERER digital print and sound is complete. First screening: Aug.29, Venice Film Festival.. Then theatrical, blu-ray in the Spring.
https://twitter.com/WilliamFriedkin/...15121067814912

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/column...ts/032013_1130

Quote:
And finally a bit of good news: Our own Tim Salmons has learned via Don May, Jr. that director William Friedkin is currently working on a Blu-ray transfer Sorcerer from the original negative! How cool is that? We’ll post more as it comes in.
TheWrap exclusive.

Quote:
William Friedkin's "Sorcerer" -- a film that fell victim to shifting tastes when it opened more than three decades ago -- will be remastered and released in theaters and for the first time on Blu-ray, the director told TheWrap.

The director told TheWrap that a "major studio" has gotten involved in creating a new recolored, digital print and that he hopes it will be ready in time for the Venice Film Festival this August. He said he will have a formal announcement within roughly a week and that the re-release will include all media

"We’re working off the original negative, which is in pretty good shape, but without changing the original concept we have to bring it back in terms of color saturation, sharpness and all the stuff," he said.

It hasn't been released on DVD since the late 1990s, and Friedkin said the rights have been tangled up for roughly 30 years between Paramount and Universal, which co-distributed the picture. He sued the two studios in 2012 to try to clarify who owned the picture.

Friedkin said he dropped the suit, but that the discovery process was essential to discovering who controlled the rights.

"It's been in a legal whirlpool for 30 or 35 years," Friedkin said "And a lot of people have come and gone from the studios during that time, so it just takes awhile to unravel everything, but we're very close to announcing a premiere date.
Full interview here

Last edited by Akijama; 10-05-2014 at 01:41 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:34 PM   #2
Special Member

Nov 2008
In the Home Theater

That is very cool news!
Old 03-20-2013, 06:35 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009

(Insert random "Friedkin is working on the transfer? I'll wait for reviews" comment here.)
Old 03-20-2013, 06:36 PM   #4
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2012
Georgia

Great news. I've been a fan of The Wages of Fear for a long time, but have never seen Sorcerer.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:37 PM   #5
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2010
Rhode Island

Old 03-20-2013, 06:43 PM   #6
Banned

Jul 2007
Hollywood

I think Friedkin learned his lesson with the botch job he did on French Connection, the backlash, and the subsequent "fix" to make things right again. I trust any other transfer he supervises will be as it should be.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:43 PM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009

Hasn't he been 'working on' Sorcerer for a while now though?
Old 03-20-2013, 06:48 PM   #8
Banned

Jul 2007
Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
No, it was tied up in court for years. They recently sorted out all the rights so it's finally good to go.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:49 PM   #9
Expert Member

Sep 2012
Redding, CA

Excellent news. Please don't tweak up this transfer Friedkin. Great score also. Can't wait to hear Friedkin's descriptive commentary on this one.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:51 PM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Mpls, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
Yes, old news been following Friedkin on Twitter, he has been battling to get it released and recently stated the film print was in great condition etc.

My question is why would Don May Jr know this? or did he just mention it because he has been following the news on twitter?

Also there is a Wish List thread for the film that this news has been posted to over the past months. No date. I wish we weren't jumping the gun everytime we heard news on a title that has NO release date.
Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! These are becoming endangered and should be kept intact. They are part of film history.

Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60 Marantz SR7007
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Oppo BDP-103 Region Free
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Old 03-20-2013, 07:22 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011

I didnt get into Sorcerer but the Wages of Fear really rocks...I have that one..
Old 03-20-2013, 09:42 PM   #12
Power Member

Nov 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowellPressburger View Post
...why would Don May Jr know this? or did he just mention it because he has been following the news on twitter?
I was wondering this also; would Synapse Films be releasing Sorcerer or is he just sharing public information?
Old 03-20-2013, 10:16 PM   #13
Special Member

Oct 2009
Louisville, KY

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsman71 View Post
I didnt get into Sorcerer but the Wages of Fear really rocks...I have that one..
That's funny, because I feel just the opposite. While WAGES is definitely a good movie, I can't buy the ending (where the player(s) involved are bound and determined to have a 70's ending). Even so, if Synapse IS putting this out, that is a definite + in my book.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:31 PM   #14

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undeadcow View Post
I was wondering this also; would Synapse Films be releasing Sorcerer or is he just sharing public information?
It's not Synapse. I've been told by a close source, who was told directly by Friedkin, exactly which entity has taken over SORCERER. It should be a pleasant surprise to most when it's publicly announced.
"Carpenter is practically a God when it comes to movie making. His movies are on an entirely different level." - nagysaudio

"What an arrogant piece of shit." - John Carpenter (about himself)
Old 03-20-2013, 11:36 PM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2013
In the Village.

Great news! Will compliment my Criterion copy of "The Wages of Fear".
Questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:46 PM   #16
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Mpls, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jah13 View Post
It's not Synapse. I've been told by a close source, who was told directly by Friedkin, exactly which entity has taken over SORCERER. It should be a pleasant surprise to most when it's publicly announced.
Most would have wished for a Criterion release and that was decided not happening, so if it isn't Universal who I believe released the film theatrically - Possibly Shout Factory would make sense. Trying to think of other indie labels.
Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! These are becoming endangered and should be kept intact. They are part of film history.

Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60 Marantz SR7007
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Oppo BDP-103 Region Free
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Old 03-20-2013, 11:52 PM   #17

Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by retablo View Post
I think Friedkin learned his lesson with the botch job he did on French Connection, the backlash, and the subsequent "fix" to make things right again. I trust any other transfer he supervises will be as it should be.
Having worked with Friedkin on a previous release of another title I can safely say that he never learns his lessons and still changes his mind every 15 minutes, so it's anybody's guess how this will turn out by the time it hits the shelves. Especially since when a special edition DVD was mooted years ago, it was his constantly changing his mind that caused it to be cancelled because no-one knew what he wanted to do from one minute to the next but he still expected everyone to anticipate whatever he wanted at that particular moment without being told.
"Gentleman, that last remark is not for publication. This is a D notice situation."
Old 03-21-2013, 12:20 AM   #18

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowellPressburger View Post
Most would have wished for a Criterion release and that was decided not happening, so if it isn't Universal who I believe released the film theatrically - Possibly Shout Factory would make sense. Trying to think of other indie labels.
I'm referring to studio, not video label. Paramount and Uni co-financed and co-distributed the film originally.
"Carpenter is practically a God when it comes to movie making. His movies are on an entirely different level." - nagysaudio

"What an arrogant piece of shit." - John Carpenter (about himself)
Old 03-21-2013, 12:55 AM   #19
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2007
Nova Scotia, Canada

Sorcerer has been my most wanted Blu-ray for quite a while now. I love the movie, but I could never bring myself to lay down money for that lousy DVD. Any sort of concrete confirmation would make my year for catalogue releases.
You will not be saved by the Holy Ghost. You will not be saved by the God Plutonium. In fact, YOU WILL NOT BE SAVED!
Old 03-21-2013, 01:16 AM   #20
Special Member

Aug 2007
USA
-
-

One of my all-time favorite films. So underrated.

Anyways, wasn't Friedkin suing Universal and/or Paramount over the rights to the film recently? Did it get resolved? Who will distribute the Blu-ray? I'd love to see Shout Factory pick it up.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America