Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Willow (Blu-ray)
$9.96
James Cameron's Deepsea Challenge 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.89
John Carter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$20.19
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Hentai Prince & the Stony Cat: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Game of Thrones - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
Fairy Tail: Part 11 (Blu-ray)
$31.69
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists

Old 01-17-2009, 04:28 AM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
'Western' N.Y. State (MEMBER OF THE "ECPP")™
Default Carl Sagan's "Cosmos" - Will it come out on BD?

The late Carl Sagan's "Cosmos" series was truly the most thought-provoking and artistic science documentary series of its time (1980). My brother and I used to wait in anticipation for each 1-hour episode. The digitally remastered, 7-disc DVD set, which contains all 13 episodes, is not bad to watch, even in standard-definition. Audio was remixed into an able 5.1 channel Dolby Digital soundtrack. Carl even provided updated information at the conclusion of most of the episodes, along with some updated visuals, bringing the aged series up to date (at least up to the '90s).

There are scores dear fans of Cosmos, many who were not inclined toward the subjects of science and space, and who recall how compelling the series was to watch, and the influence it had on them.

I wonder of the series will ever be released on Blu-ray. If would deserve the cleanest remastering and transfer possible.

Anyone know if there is a chance of it coming out on BD? Perhaps you have seen Cosmos. Would enjoy reading anyone's thoughts on the series as well.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:32 AM   #2

Jan 2008

is it edited for rednecks???

Scientist believe that the universe is......hundreds and hundreds of years old.
One day John Locke fell from the sky. His legs didn't work but now he's spry.
4 8 15 16 23 42
LG 32LB9D
60 GB PS3
20 GB Xbox 360
BD: 100+
HD DUD: no more
DVD: sold them all, with the exception of my Season Sets.

Last edited by trunksvegeta187; 01-17-2009 at 04:36 AM.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:10 AM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2007
Tonawanda, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by trunksvegeta187 View Post
is it edited for rednecks???

Scientist believe that the universe is......hundreds and hundreds of years old.
Don't forget that optical illusions prevent you from seein' the angels on the clouds when you fly inna plane...
“Take the risk of thinking for yourself. Much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way.”
― Christopher Hitchens

PSN ID EyeDocSteve. Sportin' a 52" Sony Bravia XBR4, Launch PS4, Onkyo 805 A/V Receiver, Polk Monitor 50's (Fronts and Surrounds), CS1 Center, eD A2-300 Subwoofer.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:14 AM   #4

Dec 2008
Alberta

The remake of the Cosmos is most likely to happen years down the road if you ask me. Just look how long it took the remake to make it to DVD.

Check out the Universe series on Blu-ray, I hear it's pretty good.
Samsung LN40A550 1080p 40 inch LCD
Samsung BD-P1500
Onkyo TX-SR606 AV Receiver
Soundstage Shielded 2 Way 6" Towers
Soundstage 2 Way 6.5" Rear
Soundstage 2 Way Dual 5.25" Center Channel
Soundstage 150 Watt 10" Subwoofer (Lil' Thumper)
Old 01-17-2009, 03:00 PM   #5
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal
Send a message via Yahoo to P@t_Mtl

While the series Cosmos was very very good (I should just say EXCELLENT!) when it first came out, it's unfortunatly a bit out of date now. It's one of the biggest problem of any science documentary, things change, evolve, new things are discovered. This was made almost 30 years ago and some of the things Carl Sagan said and mention in the documentary while at the cutting edge of science back then, no longer hold true now.

It would only have nostalgic value now but nothing else.
---------------------------------------------------
My avatar will Wait Until Dark for a Roman Holiday since this world as War & Peace
and it would be fun to actually have Breakfast At Tiffany's with My Fair Lady

Last edited by P@t_Mtl; 01-17-2009 at 03:20 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:04 PM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2007
Long Island, N.Y.; 3D blu-rays look stunning; Favorite food: Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by P@t_Mtl View Post
While the series Cosmos was very very good (I should just say EXCELLENT!) when it first came out, it's unfortunatly a bit out of date now. It's one of the biggest problem of any science documentary, things change, evolve, new things are discovered. This was made almost 30 years ago and some of the things Carl Sagan said and mention in the documentary while at the cutting edge of science back then, no longer hold true now.

It would only have nostalgic value now but nothing else.
Agreed. Simply put, Cosmos is dated now.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:06 PM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008
Breinigsville, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycomet View Post
Agreed. Simply put, Cosmos is dated now.
But, we still miss Carl and he was a great teacher and educator and had a gift for making astronomy accessible to the public.

Rich
Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com
HDTV Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-111FD TT/Arm Teres Certus 450/Teres Illius Cart/Phono Pre Soundsmith Strain Gauge/Soundsmith 410 Amp 1st Watt M2 Cond. 3 Panamax M5400-PM Modded: Amps 3 Aragon Palladium 1K, Krell KAV-250a/3 Pre/Pro Onkyo 5508 Pre ARC LS10 BDP/CD OPPO BDP-105/Denon 5910CI DAC Lavry DA10 R2R Ampex 440C/B FM Sansui TU-9900 Speakers OMA NYer/Nola/Dahlquist Sub 2 Epik Conquest Racks Adona Wire TimePortal, WW, AP, EA Treats GIK
Old 01-17-2009, 08:31 PM   #8
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturephoto1 View Post
But, we still miss Carl and he was a great teacher and educator and had a gift for making astronomy accessible to the public.

Rich
We shall always miss him
My avatar will Wait Until Dark for a Roman Holiday since this world as War & Peace
Old 01-17-2009, 11:35 PM   #9
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Metropolis

It was a great series when it was initially released but it is true that the state of knowledge on many of the areas of inquiry that Cosmos covered has advanced considerably. Science documentaries tend to become out of date very quickly.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:40 AM   #10

Jan 2009

I would love to see a BD version of Cosmos.
Cosmos represented the high water mark of science enthusiasm and I say it's time to bring it back.
As for it being out of date, I think most things said in the series would still be relevant to teaching/inspiring young people today. Cosmos wasn't about the data of the time but the scientific process of refining that data to obtain an ever clearer picture of how things really are. Perhaps a new release could bring things up to date with all the features available in BD format.
One of the underling themes of the series was about how the scientific process brought to light the nature of the world from the darkness of superstition -as true now as it was then.
A large part of the series is a historical dialog such as Kepler's journey and his realization that if the evidence doesn't support a theory, the theory must be modified or abandoned.
All in all, I think a re-release on BD would be a great idea.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:59 AM   #11

Oct 2006

Cosmos is great! It's where my love for science began. But the effects are now dated and would not look very good at all. The problem is, that Sagan was incorporated in many of the special effects shots, so they can't even go back and re-do them. But his narration will never be topped. How I wish he had lived and provided the commentary for Planet Earth. He was my hero "Billions and Billion" times over.

The Universe was just released on Blu-ray late last year. I don't think I've seen a single copy. It must be a small print run. They need to make these more available and more affordable.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:44 AM   #12
Special Member

Jun 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluSmoke View Post
Cosmos is great! It's where my love for science began. But the effects are now dated and would not look very good at all. The problem is, that Sagan was incorporated in many of the special effects shots, so they can't even go back and re-do them. But his narration will never be topped. How I wish he had lived and provided the commentary for Planet Earth. He was my hero "Billions and Billion" times over.

The Universe was just released on Blu-ray late last year. I don't think I've seen a single copy. It must be a small print run. They need to make these more available and more affordable.

The Universe Season 1 was on sale at amazon.com for about $28 recently. I did a blind buy. Stopped watching it after about 10 minutes. Unwatchable crap. MTV does a science documentary for the ADD crowd. Putrid crap. If anyone wants a barely used copy for cheap, let me know...
Old 01-26-2009, 02:01 PM   #13

Nov 2008

I too would love to see Cosmos brought to blu ray, as it's my all time favorite documentary. However, this begs the question. Was the series shot on film or video? It it was video then the DVD version is likely the best the show can look.
Craig
Old 01-26-2009, 02:20 PM   #14
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond23 View Post
The Universe Season 1 was on sale at amazon.com for about $28 recently. I did a blind buy. Stopped watching it after about 10 minutes. Unwatchable crap. MTV does a science documentary for the ADD crowd. Putrid crap. If anyone wants a barely used copy for cheap, let me know...
Yes it is a bit dissapointing I am just too use watching documentaries from the BBC or from NOVA.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:24 PM   #15

Jun 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by caheaton View Post
I too would love to see Cosmos brought to blu ray, as it's my all time favorite documentary. However, this begs the question. Was the series shot on film or video? It it was video then the DVD version is likely the best the show can look.
Exactly. It's a great show, but it was clearly shot in SD video. There would be little point in releasing it on BD.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:09 AM   #16

Oct 2009

Cosmos was life-altering for me - before that the science documentaries I had seen were by and large National Geographic films. Not bad, mind you, but a few billion miles from THIS. James Burke's Connections had a similar impact, but I digress.

I agree wholeheartedly with DanH002 - the "outdated data" itself isn't so pertinent as the message as a whole, and most of the cultural and historic references are as solid now as they were then.

I don't know if the quality will improve much in a transfer to BD - but I -do- know a lot of Cosmos was shot on film, especially the stuff out on location. Probably 16mm, but I'd have to check. Some of the in-studio stuff may have been video.

I'm going to have to go crack open my DVD set and see how it upconverts.
Thanks for reminding me how long it's been since i watched this amazing piece of television history.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:15 AM   #17
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
'Western' N.Y. State (MEMBER OF THE "ECPP")™

Welcome to the forums, frequenC!

And thanks for resurrecting my old thread. It does seem unlikely that Cosmos will get a Blu-ray release, but it would be nice if it did. I'd waste no time buying it. I have seen the DVDs upconverted and they look better than I ever saw on broadcast TV. Enjoy!
Old 10-28-2009, 02:16 AM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2007
Tonawanda, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturephoto1 View Post

Rich
Bully! Just Bully! Jolly good, I say!

I'd strongly encourage a reading of his books 'The Demon-Haunted World" and "Billions and Billions".

The end of Contact, where it says 'For Carl' often makes me get a bit misty-eyed.
“Take the risk of thinking for yourself. Much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way.”
― Christopher Hitchens

PSN ID EyeDocSteve. Sportin' a 52" Sony Bravia XBR4, Launch PS4, Onkyo 805 A/V Receiver, Polk Monitor 50's (Fronts and Surrounds), CS1 Center, eD A2-300 Subwoofer.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:00 AM   #19
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2007
Long Island, N.Y.; 3D blu-rays look stunning; Favorite food: Pizza

Carl Sagan's Cosmos - as incredible as it was for its day - is now somewhat dated. It was rebroadcast on The Science Channel (or was it Discovery?) not too long ago. I thoroughly enjoyed it. No one has the eloquent style that Carl had - not even Stephen Hawking's robo-voice.

For you interstellar space fans, I highly recommend The Universe. Currently, three seasons are available on blu-ray (season four will be out in early 2010). It's not Carl Sagan, but it really is the best information we have on the universe at this time.

Unfortunately, The Universe series is only 1080i and comes only with Dolby Digital 2.0 audio. Still, it is quite an amazing series. But let's face it, Carl Sagan's "Cosmos" does not even come close to the level of PQ and AQ of "The Universe." Cosmos is practically ancient history.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:04 AM   #20
Power Member

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason One View Post
Exactly. It's a great show, but it was clearly shot in SD video. There would be little point in releasing it on BD.
I've always been a huge fan of the series, but unfortunately, I'm inclined to agree that there's not much point in releasing it in high-def because it was shot in SD video and it just wouldn't look that much better than the DVDs.

The only possible advantage would be, possibly, that you could fit the entire series in 1 or 2 discs without compromising the picture quality.

But remastering for HD might be prohibitively expensive, considering the potential sales.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists