COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$64.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$61.99
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$39.96
Maleficent (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 9 (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Doctor Who: The Complete Eighth Series (Blu-ray)
$64.96
Bates Motel: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Lost: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$19.49
Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Friday the 13th: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99
War Horse (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Transformers: Age of Extinction 3D (Blu-ray)
$26.99
A Nightmare on Elm Street Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
24: Live Another Day (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Lost: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$17.09
The Help (Blu-ray)
$11.19
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Old 01-19-2009, 02:36 AM   #1

Jan 2009
Default Sony Vaio VGN-FW11M Blu-Ray problems, please help!

Sorry if there is already a thread for this..

I bought a Sony Vaio a few months ago, around the end of summer. Since then I have purchased a few Blu-Ray dvd's which I have watched with perfect playback numerous times via InterVideo WinDVD BD for Vaio.

Since the new year kicked in, every time I try to play a Blu-Ray disc it is not recognised on my BD drive ( F: ). There are three or four reading noises coming from the drive during this process. If I double click on F: in my computer it automatically ejects the disc and comes up with a message "Please insert disc into F: drive". All the Blu-Ray discs I own are in pristine condition, not a single scratch. The laptop itself has been looked after perfectly and only moved from room to room in my home.

I know there is nothing wrong with the general playback from this drive as I am still able to play hi-def games (Far Cry 2, Fifa 2009 etc), audio discs and regular dvd's and have no problems with anything but Blu-Ray discs. I have installed all Vaio updates since I purchased the laptop.

I've searched the internet all night looking for a solution but I cannot find any that relate. If anyone could shed some light it would be much appriciated as this is quite frustrating as you can imagine. Thank you in advance!
Old 01-19-2009, 04:25 AM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007
Hercules, CA

Consider gettting a different player software - seriously.
PowerDVD 8 Ultra or ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre.

I have uninstalled WinDVD BD from both of my VAIOs
VGN-AR190G - UJ-210S BD Burner
VGN-AR730E/B - UJ-120 BD Combo

like.no.other
Old 01-19-2009, 05:54 AM   #3

Dec 2007

Which version of WinDVD BD for VAIO do you have?

Right click -> Setup -> Information Tab. If you have the latest patch, it should say: Version: 8.0 DXVA B09.670
Old 01-19-2009, 12:22 PM   #4

Jan 2009

Yep, I have..

Version:
8.0 DXVA B09.670

I will try a new player but this morning when I started the laptop up, I checked 'Problem Reports and Solutions' and a Video Hardware error came up. I have searched for solutions and sent the info to microsoft as recommended.

Anyone have any idea how serious this 'Video Hardware error' could be? I am just baffled that I have no problems reading any other type of media disc.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:12 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007
Hercules, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloman View Post
Yep, I have..

Version:
8.0 DXVA B09.670

I will try a new player but this morning when I started the laptop up, I checked 'Problem Reports and Solutions' and a Video Hardware error came up. I have searched for solutions and sent the info to microsoft as recommended.

Anyone have any idea how serious this 'Video Hardware error' could be? I am just baffled that I have no problems reading any other type of media disc.
Your optical drive has two lasers.
One red for CDs and DVDs
One Blue-violet for Blu-ray Discs

I'm thinking the WinDVD BD is your issue.

like.no.other
Old 01-19-2009, 02:11 PM   #6

Jan 2009

Installed PowerDVD and the BD add-on's etc.. Put in The Dark Knight in absolute perfect condition but when I press play a message pop's up 'No disc in drive F:'.

Appriciate the help anyway guys.. If anyone else can help further that would be great!
Old 01-19-2009, 02:19 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007
Hercules, CA

Quote:
Installed PowerDVD and the BD add-on's etc.. Put in The Dark Knight in absolute perfect condition but when I press play a message pop's up 'No disc in drive F:'.

Appriciate the help anyway guys.. If anyone else can help further that would be great!
BD add-ons?
Get PowerDVD 8 Ultra - there aren't any "add-ons".

Try this:
http://www.download.com/ArcSoft-Tota...html?tag=mncol

It's a trial for ArcSoft TotalMedia Extreme - includes TotalMedia Theatre.
See if that will play the disc.

like.no.other
Old 01-19-2009, 02:50 PM   #8

Dec 2007

Quote:
I know there is nothing wrong with the general playback from this drive as I am still able to play hi-def games (Far Cry 2, Fifa 2009 etc), audio discs and regular dvd's and have no problems with anything but Blu-Ray discs. I have installed all Vaio updates since I purchased the laptop.
Are these Hi Def games use DVD or Blu-ray disc?

I have US version of FW1x series and I don't have any problem playing Blu-ray movies with WinDVD BD for VAIO. I suspect your drive is defective since when you double click the drive, it ejects itself. WinDVD is not in use when you double click the drive so it may not be WinDVD that is at fault but you can try to remove WinDVD, reinstall and reinstall the patch.

Have you ever installed modified video driver? Blu-ray software is very picky and it won't play if the video driver has been modified by a 3rd party. Always use official driver from Sony if you want to preserve Blu-ray.

Last edited by hendra; 01-19-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:55 PM   #9

Oct 2009

A SOLUTION!

I spent ages trying out the solutions in this and other forums. My blu-ray discs wouldn't play on WinDVD or PowerDVD on my Vaio. Other DVDs played without a problem, but I just got error messages or no response at all when I attempted to play blu-ray. I tried everything (re-installing, new drivers, etc etc)

It was only when I read a comment on the previous post that blu-ray is very sensitive to graphics driver changes that I had the thought that I should try un-installing my graphics card. I did this in Device Manager, waited for the computer to restart, waited while it went through the process of re-installing the graphics card, waited while it then rebooted to save the changes and...

BINGO! My blu-ray discs now play!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software