COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Y Tu Mamá También (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$18.96
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$74.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Once Upon a Time: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Friends: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$110.00
Only Lovers Left Alive (Blu-ray)
$23.59
Game of Thrones - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Tekken 2: Kazuya's Revenge (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Chuck: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$66.99
Hook (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Steins;Gate: Anime Classics Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$31.69
Back to the Future Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Cannibal Holocaust (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Twin Peaks: The Entire Mystery (Blu-ray)
$91.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 5 (Blu-ray)
$25.89

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 01-19-2009, 06:48 AM   #1

Jan 2009
Default Zodiac Import vs. US release

Got the Zodiac Import as a gift....does anyone know if the transfer will be the same as the US release, or will that be better once released? Figured they are the same, but also know I'm usually totally wrong. THANKS for any info.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:58 AM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008

Paramount:
-Two-Disc Set
-VC-1 Encode
-Dolby TrueHD 5.1 English with secondary Dolby Digital 5.1 English
-Zodiac Deciphered in High-Definition

Warner:
-One disc
-AVC Encode
-Dolby Digital 5.1 English only
-Zodiac Deciphered in Standard-Definiton Anamorphic Widescreen

Just in case...Paramount is the US release, Warner is the import.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:55 AM   #3

Feb 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_dave View Post
Paramount:
-Two-Disc Set
-VC-1 Encode
-Dolby TrueHD 5.1 English with secondary Dolby Digital 5.1 English
-Zodiac Deciphered in High-Definition

Warner:
-One disc
-AVC Encode
-Dolby Digital 5.1 English only
-Zodiac Deciphered in Standard-Definiton Anamorphic Widescreen

Just in case...Paramount is the US release, Warner is the import.
US release is region free,isnt ?

I need this movie I didnt buy the UK version cause i know that the US Version will be superior ...
Old 01-19-2009, 12:05 PM   #4
Palisades Tartan

Nov 2008
Buckinghamshire, U.K.

So far every review I've come across of the US edition is indicating locked to Region A. If anyone knows otherwise, I imagine many of us here would welcome that information being posted in the Region Coding section of the entry for the US disc please.

I have the UK edition, since I got it for a bargain price before Xmas. Will happily trade it for the two-discer if it becomes available to those of us in Region B, but with Warner in charge of international distribution, that seems unlikely.
Hugh K. David
UK Media Consultant - Palisades Tartan
Industry Insider & Professional Geek

N.B. In this forum, I am free to express my own personal opinions, as well as to discuss the views and positions of my employers. I will make divisions between the two clear to other members when I post.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:41 PM   #5
Special Member

May 2007
Dublin

As far as i'm aware- no paramount release has been region locked yet..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh K. David View Post
So far every review I've come across of the US edition is indicating locked to Region A. If anyone knows otherwise, I imagine many of us here would welcome that information being posted in the Region Coding section of the entry for the US disc please.

I have the UK edition, since I got it for a bargain price before Xmas. Will happily trade it for the two-discer if it becomes available to those of us in Region B, but with Warner in charge of international distribution, that seems unlikely.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:32 PM   #6
Palisades Tartan

Nov 2008
Buckinghamshire, U.K.

Cheers, micks_address - given where the pound is right now, I think I'll refrain from importing just yet until someone else posts something here or in another forum. It worked for me with Miami Vice DC...
Hugh K. David
UK Media Consultant - Palisades Tartan
Industry Insider & Professional Geek

N.B. In this forum, I am free to express my own personal opinions, as well as to discuss the views and positions of my employers. I will make divisions between the two clear to other members when I post.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:16 PM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Mpls, MN

according to DVDbeaver ....

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...ac_blu-ray.htm

Bitrate International Version (19.81 Mbps):

Bitrate North American 2-disc (38.11 Mbps)

The US release the film recieves about double or more disc space for the actual feature film. So the image quality should be better and the US version has lossless audio.

I;ve heard that PARAMOUNT Blu Rays are REGION FREE also... but we will wait for someont to confirm this.
Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! These are becoming endangered and should be kept intact. They are part of film history.

Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60 Marantz SR7007
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Oppo BDP-103 Region Free
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Old 01-19-2009, 03:53 PM   #8

Aug 2008

Going by the Blu-Ray Region Code Info site, every Paramount release thus far they have on record in any territory is region free, including the U.S. release of Zodiac.
Pioneer PDP-5020FD | Denon AVR-2809CI | B&W 683s/HTM61/686s
Sony Playstation 3 80GB | Microsoft Xbox 360 Elite | APC AV H15
Old 01-19-2009, 07:13 PM   #9
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008

Quote:

The US disc is definitely region free, as per info from my local friendly importer, dvdslimited.com...
Old 01-19-2009, 07:43 PM   #10

Mar 2007
UK

Had this since the weekend and as the Cap'n says, it's definitely Region Free.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:03 PM   #11

Jul 2008

Quote:
Cheers, micks_address - given where the pound is right now, I think I'll refrain from importing just yet until someone else posts something here or in another forum. It worked for me with Miami Vice DC...
So far to this very day warner (don't count the old newline releases), paramount/dreamworks and universal are region free.

Unfortunatly since blu-ray has optional region coding I sometime fear that could change.

Fox well have had very few region free releases but its best to stick with region B unless you have a region A player or its been confirmed region free.

Sony and disney back catalog titles should be ok but as for new releases your out of luck.

I have imported plenty of universal, warner and paramount titles and even some fox titles. You need to check out a few sites that do check the region coding for fox, sony and disney newer titles though.

Last edited by stargazeruk; 01-19-2009 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:59 PM   #12
Banned

Oct 2006
Kentwood, Michigan
Send a message via Yahoo to GGX

Yes the US version is definitely superior in this case.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:27 PM   #13
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Nov 2008
On the sofa

Just got the UK Warner edition. Great price. Didn't know that the audio wasn't HD or that the bitrate was almost half. If I didn't read it here, never would have thought I had received an inferior product. Sometimes ignorance is bliss. The only reason I found out is I wanted to share the great price. I guess you get what you pay for. This disc is worth every penny of what I paid.

The picture is good, as DVDBeaver states, and sound is good too. Not sure how much improvement lossless audio would be for this, but I'm sure it would be some. (I still haven't bought Goodfellas because it is missing HD-audio) Anyway, got it for around $13 shipped to my door and the US today is around $30 before S&H, so I am happy enough and won't complain....too much.
Unwatched Blu-rays: 49
Marantz SR6004; UD5005; CD5003
B&W DM600 S3, LCR60 S3, ASW600 SVS SB12-NSD
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Toshiba Regza 32C3000G; Sony PS3
Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5010
Elite Screens M106UWH-E24
Old 04-27-2010, 05:29 PM   #14
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2010
London, UK

I just got this 2 days ago for like $17 from an Amazon seller, new... decided to go for this over the UK one because of the bitrate, though from dvdbeaver it looks like the PQ difference is marginal (much like the difference between the European and US transfers of Minority Report, where the lower bitrate in Europe apparently doesn't count for much). I do prefer the cover with slipcase of the UK release though...
Old 10-05-2011, 11:51 AM   #15

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by nametag View Post
I just got this 2 days ago for like $17 from an Amazon seller, new... decided to go for this over the UK one because of the bitrate, though from dvdbeaver it looks like the PQ difference is marginal (much like the difference between the European and US transfers of Minority Report, where the lower bitrate in Europe apparently doesn't count for much). I do prefer the cover with slipcase of the UK release though...
But Minority Report has lossless on both uk and us. And one could argue that the uk one has better audio. And us release was Disc 1-38gb plus Disc 2 15gb, while uk is 49gb on 1 disc, just 4gb difference.

Zodiac Us is 46gb plus 24gb! While uk has everything cramped minus lossless audio in 1 disc. So Minority Report and Zodiac is a very different case each.

Last edited by Scholer; 10-06-2011 at 01:37 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:41 PM   #16
Special Member

Jun 2012
Upper Michigan

Sorry if this has been already covered but you guys have been referring to a one disc import version of 'Zodiac' and then I found this import which is also region free, it may even be the one that has been referred to but Amazon claims this one is 2-discs. Here' a link to it - http://www.amazon.com/Zodiac-Directo...eywords=zodiac

My question is, does it have the commentaries like the US release, as it seems it carries over the same features as the US disc on this versions 2nd disc. I really don't wanna pay out over $80 for the US release, I'm just curious as to how this version holds up against the US release, and where is it imported from?
Old 11-01-2012, 09:47 PM   #17
Blu-ray Count

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompsonjohn View Post
Sorry if this has been already covered but you guys have been referring to a one disc import version of 'Zodiac' and then I found this import which is also region free, it may even be the one that has been referred to but Amazon claims this one is 2-discs. Here' a link to it - http://www.amazon.com/Zodiac-Directo...eywords=zodiac

My question is, does it have the commentaries like the US release, as it seems it carries over the same features as the US disc on this versions 2nd disc. I really don't wanna pay out over $80 for the US release, I'm just curious as to how this version holds up against the US release, and where is it imported from?
It's the UK release (the 2 disc info refers to the US one, not this one), which has all the same special features and commentaries as the US release. The extras aren't in HD however. I'd say you're better of getting it directly from Amazon UK though as it works out to just $14.70US shipped:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE
Old 11-01-2012, 10:13 PM   #18
Special Member

Jun 2012
Upper Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
It's the UK release (the 2 disc info refers to the US one, not this one), which has all the same special features and commentaries as the US release. The extras aren't in HD however. I'd say you're better of getting it directly from Amazon UK though as it works out to just $14.70US shipped:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE
Okay, this one claims it has 2 discs too, is that correct information or are all the extras on one disc and Amazon has the wrong information under the product details? Also, how is the picture quality on this one compared to the U.S. release? Thanks for the help by the way.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:15 PM   #19
Special Member

Jun 2012
Upper Michigan

I just looked at some customer photos of the product, it does appear to be only one disc.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:33 PM   #20
Banned

Jun 2009

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=141376
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America