Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Last Starfighter (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Beyond Outrage (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Devil's Due (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
History of the World: Part I (Blu-ray)
$6.16
The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning / The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists

Old 01-20-2009, 05:06 PM   #1

Aug 2008
Angry Where the heck is Mary Poppins on Blu-Ray?!

I just saw a commercial for the 45th anniversery DVD of Mary Poppins. I was excited until the commercial ended and I saw absolutly no mention of Blu-Ray. Granted, I probably would've heard about it on this site but, still, why isn't Disney putting the film on Blu? You think there was enough time (since 2007, when Blu-Ray was just starting to get popular, or HD in general ) to prepare for an HD release of Mary Poppins. Does anyone know why Disney is having such poor judgement right now?
Old 01-20-2009, 05:07 PM   #2
Special Member

Apr 2008

Look on the bright side, Space Buddies comes out this February on Blu-ray, and if you can't get enough, Santa Buddies in November!
500+ Blu-ray
Old 01-20-2009, 05:13 PM   #3

Nov 2007
San Francisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyjb1988 View Post
I just saw a commercial for the 45th anniversery DVD of Mary Poppins. I was excited until the commercial ended and I saw absolutly no mention of Blu-Ray. Granted, I probably would've heard about it on this site but, still, why isn't Disney putting the film on Blu? You think there was enough time (since 2007, when Blu-Ray was just starting to get popular, or HD in general ) to prepare for an HD release of Mary Poppins. Does anyone know why Disney is having such poor judgement right now?
Yeah--seems like a HUGE missed opportunity here. I'd love to have MP on Blu!
Panasonic TC-P65VT50 65" plasma & Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray
Pioneer Kuro PDP-5010FD 50" plasma & Pioneer BDP-95FD Blu-ray
Old 01-20-2009, 05:14 PM   #4
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal
Send a message via Yahoo to P@t_Mtl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_L View Post
Yeah--seems like a HUGE missed opportunity here. I'd love to have MP on Blu!
So would I
---------------------------------------------------
My avatar will Wait Until Dark for a Roman Holiday since this world as War & Peace
and it would be fun to actually have Breakfast At Tiffany's with My Fair Lady

http://letterboxd.com/pat_mtl/
Old 01-20-2009, 05:17 PM   #5
Special Member

Oct 2008
Lake Forest, CA

It's probably a victim of Disney's policy of doling out its classic movies a few at a time. Seems like they already have their Blu-rays mapped out through about 2011. Maybe they have big plans for the 50th anniversary!!

I wonder, will Dick Van Dyke's English accent sound even more fake in DTS-MA?
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Last edited by AintNoSin; 01-20-2009 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:19 PM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008
Breinigsville, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintNoSin View Post
It's probably a victim of Disney's policy of doling out its classic movies a few at a time. Seems like they already have their Blu-rays mapped out through about 2011. Maybe they have big plans for the 50th anniversary!!
That or maybe they are waiting for all of the major cast members to die first.

Rich
Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com
HDTV Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-111FD TT/Arm Teres Certus 450/Teres Illius Cart/Phono Pre Soundsmith Strain Gauge/Soundsmith 410 Amp 1st Watt M2 Cond. 3 Panamax M5400-PM Modded: Amps 3 Aragon Palladium 1K, Krell KAV-250a/3 Pre/Pro Onkyo 5508 Pre ARC LS10 BDP/CD OPPO BDP-105/Denon 5910CI DAC Lavry DA10 R2R Ampex 440C/B FM Sansui TU-9900 Speakers OMA NYer/Nola/Dahlquist Sub 2 Epik Conquest Racks Adona Wire TimePortal, WW, AP, EA Treats GIK
Old 01-20-2009, 05:49 PM   #7

Apr 2008
S.D., Cali

I just did a consumer survey about Disney a couple of days ago.. They were asking about what Disney movies they should put out on Blu and which ones I would buy on Blu...... I checked them all... Hopefully they remaster all the classics but Mary Poppins was one of the choices... Mary Poppins would be a excellent in HD quality!!
Old 01-20-2009, 06:03 PM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2008
Texas

It would be Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious !
Drink up, me arties, Yo Ho……

Sony KDSR70XBR2 70", Pioneer Elite BDP95FD Blu Ray player, Pioneer Elite VSX92THX Receiver, SVS 5.1 Speaker System: SVS MTS-01 (Left and Right), SVS MCS-01 (Center), SVS MBS-01 (Surrounds), SVS PB13 Ultra (Sub)
Old 01-20-2009, 06:16 PM   #9

Jan 2009

I hope they dont wait 5 more years for that 50th anniversary... they need some deluxe edition in blu right now.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:33 PM   #10

Aug 2008

I know, I mentioned this in the other topic. I had just found out about these new DVD editions and I was pissed. I'm not gonna lie.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:53 PM   #11
Power Member

Oct 2008
Ohio

...in time..it will come out..in time
Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny
Old 01-20-2009, 07:18 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2007

Mntwister said in one of the Insider forums about two weeks ago:

"...there WILL be a blu-ray release in 2009 of Mary Poppins. This comes from a very close relative of mine employed at a home video department of one studio, who is good friends with an employee at Disney Home Video. I might add I was allowed to release this info :-)"

While it sounds like one of those "I know someone who knows someone who is friends with someone...", it stills sounds like a good possibility.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:53 PM   #13
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2007
Long Island, N.Y.; 3D blu-rays look stunning; Favorite food: Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyjb1988 View Post
Take a teaspoon of sugar IMMEDIATELY!
Old 01-21-2009, 05:45 AM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
Victoria, BC

I was shocked that it is not coming out in Blu Ray. I wouldn't buy it if it did, but still I would like to have the option.
Home Theater Geeks Overcome Bond quotes USA the Greatest country in the world? Immigrant Song Hall of the Mountain King Spring Breakers Mulholland Drive
"Your intellect may be confused," he once wrote, "but your emotions will never lie to you." Roger Ebert Physical media forever!
Front Speakers B&W 683 Center B&W HTM61 surrounds B&W 685
Old 01-21-2009, 07:39 AM   #15
Special Member

May 2007
Dublin

I recorded this from Disney Cinemagic HD (in ireland) last week. The quality is very good..blacks are rock solid with very little dirt to be seen in the print.. i think it will look brilliant on Blu-Ray... i've noticed a trend with a lot of movies that are shown on HD broadcast over here.. they usually end up on blu-ray in the subsequent months..so i wouldnt be surprised at all if we see it released this year... the same with the Sound of Music.. that has been shown on HD here in the last couple of months and looks great so hopefully that will also show up on blu-ray soon... its amazing when i think of the crappy SD broadcasts I've seen of these films to think that they really can and do look spectacular in HD... even broadcast HD... definite additions to the library when they are released..
Old 01-21-2009, 07:41 AM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008

I've never seen this film, but will blind buy on blu (cos I love Dick van Dyke!)

Also will pick up Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
Old 01-21-2009, 08:11 AM   #17

Mar 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by micks_address View Post
I recorded this from Disney Cinemagic HD (in ireland) last week. The quality is very good..blacks are rock solid with very little dirt to be seen in the print.. i think it will look brilliant on Blu-Ray... i've noticed a trend with a lot of movies that are shown on HD broadcast over here.. they usually end up on blu-ray in the subsequent months..so i wouldnt be surprised at all if we see it released this year... the same with the Sound of Music.. that has been shown on HD here in the last couple of months and looks great so hopefully that will also show up on blu-ray soon... its amazing when i think of the crappy SD broadcasts I've seen of these films to think that they really can and do look spectacular in HD... even broadcast HD... definite additions to the library when they are released..
You say that but I have seen alot of Disney HD material on Cinemagic HD, and Sky's HD movie channels and there's no sign of them coming to blu-ray.

Mary Poppins obviously.
Pixar's Incredibles has been playing in HD for months.
Tarzan, Pocahontas, The Emperor's New Groove, Brother Bear - all looked STUNNING. Where are they on blu though? They're not part of the 'Platinum' line so I'd hope they get a move on with them.

Little Mermaid and Hunchback of Notre Dame looked less stunning and definitely need some work before they're released in the format.

Incidentally, what happened to Oliver & Company coming to blu in February. Disney's press release said it was coming to blu as well but we're a couple of weeks away and I haven't heard anything since that press release last year???
Old 01-21-2009, 03:36 PM   #18
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

I was reading somewhere that Disney is going back the elements to do a proper brand new HiDef transfer - which will take some time, the projected release date is early 2010. So basically, Disney is shafting DVD buyers with the new edition - nothing new there, at least the Blu-ray will trounce all previous video incarnations.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:39 PM   #19
Power Member

Sep 2007
The Tragic City

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildphantom View Post
Incidentally, what happened to Oliver & Company coming to blu in February. Disney's press release said it was coming to blu as well but we're a couple of weeks away and I haven't heard anything since that press release last year???
The press release for Oliver & Co. read something like "For the first time in high definition!" but didn't actually mention a BD release; I emailed WDHE about the confusion and they responded there are no plans to bring Oliver out on BD at this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstar View Post
I was reading somewhere that Disney is going back the elements to do a proper brand new HiDef transfer - which will take some time, the projected release date is early 2010. So basically, Disney is shafting DVD buyers with the new edition - nothing new there, at least the Blu-ray will trounce all previous video incarnations.
Disney's set the bar pretty high; I expect nothing less than an amazing release when Poppins does come to BD. I hope, as with Sleeping Beauty, a wealth of information about its (assumed) restoration becomes available. With its combination of live action, animation, and optical special effects I imagine it presents some special challenges.

I'm not sure who's supposed to be getting shafted with this new DVD, though. One wants the new stage musical extras enough to buy this new edition, or one doesn't. Besides, the 40th Anniversary Edition is still available at Amazon (and $7.50 cheaper than next's week's release).
Old 02-19-2009, 12:36 AM   #20
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2008
The Swan Station aDdIcTeD 2 LOST PSN:U5MC51473
Send a message via AIM to sfmarine Send a message via MSN to sfmarine Send a message via Skype™ to sfmarine

I was looking on Amazon and noticed they released MP last month. I then thought...Why not Blu-ray release??? I did a search and here I am. Hopefully we get it soon. It's odd that Disney didn't release this on blu @ the same time of the dvd. I haven't seen it in years and would love to see it in 1080.
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!" -- President Merkin Muffley/Dr. Strangelove

55" VIZIO 3D Razor LED M3D550KD
Onkyo TX-NR616 7.2/ Pioneer Center SP-C21
Panasonic DMP-BDT210 3D Blu-ray ~ LG BD 370~ PS3 ~ FAT
DIRECTV HR34 Genie
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists