Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Attack on Titan Part 2 Limited Edition (Blu-ray)
$51.79
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Willow (Blu-ray)
$11.12
White Christmas (Blu-ray)
$18.69
Wrong Turn Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.97
Fate/Stay Night: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$54.99
West Side Story (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$172.59
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$58.30
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.93
Nekromantik (Blu-ray)
$20.19
The Simpsons: The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.96
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 01-21-2009, 04:37 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007
CT, US
Default Funimation news: Blue Gender, Gunslinger Girl, Witchblade, more DBZ

Funimation finally announcing a few more Blu-ray releases. Unfortunately, nothing I want...

http://www.mania.com/final-fantasy-a...le_112475.html

Quote:
FUNimation also has some Blu-ray news as their latest release, One Piece Movie 8, has a new pamphlet in it that talks about upcoming releases. Their announced releases through march are here but they also mention some other series which haven't been talked about yet. Due out in 2009 from FUNimation is the Blue Gender TV series and movie, the first season of Gunslinger Girl (which paints a hopeful eye for the sequel which the company has also licensed), the compete Witchblade anime TV series and the twelfth and thirteenth Dragon Ball Z movies. For live action fans, FUNimation is also looking to put out the Genghis Khan movie.

All of this is in addition to their currently planned slate of Afro Samurai :Resurrection, Shigurui: Death Frenzy, Tsubasa Season 1 and a pair of Dragon Ball Z features which have a total of five of the movies within them
Although this may finally get me to check out Witchblade...

And although it's hard not too, this officially marks the end of my 'buying just to support anime blu-ray releases'. I'll keep getting the DBZ for sake of collecting. Shugurui will be my last blind buy. Hopefully these releases mean things are rolling now, and will be a thing of the future.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:41 PM   #2
Contributor

Jun 2007
California

you know you can always watch the 1st episode on the PSN just to give it a shot or better yet watch it on Funimation.com in their videos section and you can watch anime on there and then if you like it you can buy it on blu-ray. As for me i own all of these on dvd already but ill gladly get them again on blu-ray
IGN and RPGamer- Ar tonelico II Best PS2 Game Award for 2009
Ar tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel out now

Old 01-21-2009, 04:57 PM   #3
Special Member

Jan 2008

I"m sick and tired of all these mediocre anime that comes out on Blu-ray first. These series aren't even that popluar to being with. Witchblade? Gunslinger girl? Blue Gender? Comon! Not too many people watches those shows. Where are the Blu-ray releases of these great animes like Cowbop Bebop, Sword of the Strangers, Bleach, Death Note, Ninja Scroll or Samurai Champloo on Blu-ray? Those titles are more popular and will definitely sell more. I'll take any of those over these crappy Funimation titles.

The other studios need to get with the time and release their own titles on Blu-ray already. I mean...what's taking them so long anyways?

Last edited by Grimshaw23; 01-21-2009 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:09 PM   #4
Contributor

Jun 2007
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimshaw23 View Post
I"m sick and tired of all these mediocre anime that comes out on Blu-ray first. These series aren't even that popluar to being with. Witchblade? Gunslinger girl? Blue Gender? Comon! Not too many people watches those shows. Where are the Blu-ray releases of these great animes like Cowbop Bebop, Sword of the Strangers, Bleach, Death Note, Ninja Scroll or Samurai Champloo on Blu-ray? Those titles are more popular and will definitely sell more. I'll take any of those over these crappy Funimation titles.

The other studios need to get with the time and release their own titles on Blu-ray already. I mean...what's taking them so long anyways?
Blue Gender is one of Funimation's oldest animes that showed on Adult Swim, Witchblade well its Witchblade that name alone would convince the Witchblade comic book fans to get it. Gunslinger Girl should be great if its given a lossless audio option with all of the gunfire thats in the series. ADV chickened out with the blu-ray release they were making and made a delay on it with a TBA 2009
IGN and RPGamer- Ar tonelico II Best PS2 Game Award for 2009
Ar tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel out now

Last edited by MOONPHASE; 01-21-2009 at 05:12 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:19 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007
CT, US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimshaw23 View Post
I"m sick and tired of all these mediocre anime that comes out on Blu-ray first. These series aren't even that popluar to being with. Witchblade? Gunslinger girl? Blue Gender? Comon! Not too many people watches those shows.
Yeah, Gunslinger is VERY popular, I've come to foind out. Not for me, but it was one of their big sellers, so I totally see why they are giving it a Blu-ray release. Espcially with fans rabidly anticipating an announcement of season 2, I can see why they'd want the name back in the news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOONPHASE View Post
you know you can always watch the 1st episode on the PSN just to give it a shot or better yet watch it on Funimation.com in their videos section and you can watch anime on there and then if you like it you can buy it on blu-ray. As for me i own all of these on dvd already but ill gladly get them again on blu-ray
Oh yeah, I defintiely know it's out there. i think I have the whole original japanese area burned, copies of the US dvds from Netflix, the Hulu and Funimation streaming sites bookmarked... Just been lazy about working it into my schedule... lol.

Blu releases seem to give me a little push these days so many old films I've watched only recently just because they came out on Blu. Predator, Purple Rain, Close Encounters. Blu is broadening my horizons!
Old 01-21-2009, 07:28 PM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008

Gunslinger Girls is one of the few animes I like. =P
Old 01-21-2009, 08:23 PM   #7

Nov 2008
Orlando, FL

I was fairly unimpressed with all of those series but I am happy to see more anime released.

Funimation has the distribution rights to a few amazing titles. They really need to go blu with box sets for Black Lagoon and Hellsing Ultimate. They are great both in story, action and animation. Favorite older titles include Oh My Goddess and anything Lupin the 3rd.
Sony 52XBR4 / Onkyo TX-SR805 with BXT Cooling fan / Emotiva XPA-3 / 4 x LSi9 Polks / LSiC Polk Center / fxi3 Polk Rears / Dual JBL PSW-1000 Subs
Tivo Series 3 / Panasonic DMP-BD35 / PS3 500GB / 360 / Wii / Panamax M5300-PM / APC AV H15 / Cyron LED Lighting / Monoprice & Blue Jeans Cables
Old 01-21-2009, 08:31 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008
-
Send a message via AIM to Afrobean

What ever happened to the Fullmetal Alechmist movie? I was really looking forward to that one. I'm still even holding off on picking up the boxsets, hoping to grab them on BD.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:10 PM   #9
Power Member

Jan 2008
Covington, KY

Despite its silly name, Gunslinger Girl is actually a pretty good series that features very strong character development. The story can be rather brutal at times which may put some people off, what happens to these girls is tragic, but in the end, the message is uplifting. Oh, and the opening, "The Light Before We Land" by The Delgados, is absolutely amazing.

It got wide exposure airing on IFC. Here's ANN's page where you can see it is ranked #74 for being seen and gets from the users a "very good" which is an 8 on a 0-10 scale. Here is an in-depth discussion.

Last edited by varmintx; 01-21-2009 at 11:16 PM. Reason: added more links
Old 01-21-2009, 11:15 PM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2008
Lake Mary, FL Steelbooks™: 100+
Send a message via Skype™ to Morphine

Ill get all of them, I hope they have good quality
PSN: Morphine16
Proud Member of Task Force 141
The Only Easy Day... Was Yesterday
Old 01-21-2009, 11:28 PM   #11

Jan 2009

I want DBZ Seasons, not the movies .
Old 01-21-2009, 11:46 PM   #12

Aug 2008
Fussa, Jp

Funimation needs to bring Fullmetal Alchemist, Basilisk, Speed Grapher, and Trinity Blood out on Blu already!!!!!! Geneon along Bandai, Manga, ADV etc. need to get going as well. theres alot better titles out there that need to get the blu transfer!
Old 01-21-2009, 11:51 PM   #13
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Metropolis

I would take Speed Grapher on Blu-ray. Witchblade might be okay...
Old 01-22-2009, 12:47 AM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007
CT, US

Quote:
Originally Posted by calciumwaste View Post
Funimation needs to bring Fullmetal Alchemist, Basilisk, Speed Grapher, and Trinity Blood out on Blu already!!!!!! Geneon along Bandai, Manga, ADV etc. need to get going as well. theres alot better titles out there that need to get the blu transfer!
Geneon (well, Geneon US) doesnt really exist anymore.

Luckily, Funimation recovered a bunch of their licenses, so there is hope yet!
Old 01-22-2009, 01:37 AM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008
-
Send a message via AIM to Afrobean

Quote:
Originally Posted by stfn View Post
I want DBZ Seasons, not the movies .
I'll probably end up getting them too, but they won't look great. The show has rather poor production quality (at least by today's standards) and was never meant to be seen in HD (let alone 16:9). There are a few areas on the DVDs where heads get cut off due to the cropping, and there are even more areas where detail is lost in the characters in the background-- not due to low resolution, but because they simply didn't bother drawing it (often times, faces in the distance appear as black blobs with no detail).

The movies are absolutely more deserving of Blu-ray. Higher production quality overall and they were designed to be viewed in a widescreen format.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:23 AM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007
CT, US

Speaking of movies, I'd love to see the Naruto movies get the Blu-ray treatment. Not the greatest things in the world, but they have a few nice visuals throughout that would look great in blu.

Man, so much stuff I'd like to see. Hard to keep track of it all.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:37 AM   #17

Oct 2007

I'd buy the Witchblade Blu-Ray....although the price is probably going to be more ridiculous than the DVD set....
Old 01-22-2009, 02:39 AM   #18

Aug 2008
Fussa, Jp

Quote:
Originally Posted by u_nick View Post
Geneon (well, Geneon US) doesnt really exist anymore.

Luckily, Funimation recovered a bunch of their licenses, so there is hope yet!
no wonder i saw Ergo Proxy on Funimation.com. hmmm
Old 01-22-2009, 02:46 AM   #19

Apr 2008

WE also have to take into account what titles are ready to go with a HD release and which ones arent. The titles that get released here are all dependant on what titles the licensing company want's to let go of. One thing I have learned in my years of watching anime is that the Japanese producers really give **** all care about what get's released here in the US. What they choose to give is what we get, and we don't get it all.
"Aye.. and if my grandmother had wheels she'd be a wagon!"

Monitor: Samsung UN40D6300 1080P 120hz
BD Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT110P
AVR: Onkyo TX-SR605
Speakers: Klipsch Quintet III, Klipsch SW-350
Old 01-22-2009, 02:51 AM   #20

Apr 2008

And speaking of anime, I should have my review for "Ghost In The Shell 2" up in a couple of days, after I take time to absorb it.
"Aye.. and if my grandmother had wheels she'd be a wagon!"

Monitor: Samsung UN40D6300 1080P 120hz
BD Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT110P
AVR: Onkyo TX-SR605
Speakers: Klipsch Quintet III, Klipsch SW-350
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime