COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
Y Tu Mamá También (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Sons of Anarchy: Season Five (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Picnic at Hanging Rock (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Other Woman (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Babette's Feast (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Sons of Anarchy: Season Six (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Giver (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Black Nativity (Blu-ray)
$6.99
Stargate: The Ark of Truth / Continuum (Blu-ray)
$22.98
Armored Attack! (Blu-ray)
$14.99
WWE: The Best of RAW 2010 (Blu-ray)
$11.48
Fargo: Season One (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Despicable Me 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$20.99
HD Aviation: 100 Years of Flight (Blu-ray)
$11.68

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 01-21-2009, 06:20 PM   #1
Power Member

Feb 2007
Default WWE Royal Rumble 2009 -- Feb. 24, 2009

30-Man Royal Rumble Match
Featuring Superstars from RAW, ECW & SmackDown!

WWE Championship Match
Jeff Hardy vs. Edge

World Heavyweight Championship Match
John Cena vs. JBL

Women's Championship Match
Beth Phoenix vs. Melina

ECW Championship Match
Jack Swagger vs. Matt Hardy

Not the official cover obviously, but Silvervision is known to announce WWE DVD releases a lot further in advanced than WWEShop.com will, so this will more than likely also be a US Blu-Ray release as well. It should be announced about 2 weeks after the PPV airs this Sunday.
Sony Bravia KDL-46EX720 46" LED 3D Internet TV w/ Full 1080p
Sony S-Master STR-KS2000 AV Receiver
Sony Playstation 4 w/ 1TB

Last edited by djluis2k6; 02-02-2009 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:07 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2007
UK
Send a message via MSN to Blu_Ray_UK2007

Earlier then the UK is this date confirmed?
PS3 Online ID: Blu_Ray_UK2007

Always looking for UK Disney Slips!! Message me if you have any spare!
Old 01-21-2009, 07:37 PM   #3
Power Member

Feb 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_Ray_UK2007 View Post
Earlier then the UK is this date confirmed?
No, I mean Silvervision will post up info about a future WWE release about a month before it is officially posted on WWE.com or WWEShop.com. And yes, it will definitely be released in the US first. Silvervision releases their DVDs about a month after the US release.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:58 PM   #4
Hot Deals Moderator

Aug 2007
Detroit, MI

It's good to know WWE is getting back to releasing BDs.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:58 PM   #5
Power Member

Feb 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSportsFan View Post
It's good to know WWE is getting back to releasing BDs.
A lot of their titles have been at the top of the Billboard’s Video Sales chart. It'll be interesting to see if their Blu-Ray titles start showing up on that list as well.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:32 AM   #6
Special Member

Sep 2008

id buy this just for the rumble and hardy/edge match but all the other matches will be garbage
Old 01-22-2009, 12:38 AM   #7

May 2007
Orlando,Fl
Send a message via Yahoo to Sloan78

Quote:
Originally Posted by metsfan1545d View Post
id buy this just for the rumble and hardy/edge match but all the other matches will be garbage
+1 Can anyone think of a year where things didn't go down as "thought" in the RR? I was trying to think back none really pop off the top of my mind.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:52 AM   #8
Power Member

Feb 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloan78 View Post
+1 Can anyone think of a year where things didn't go down as "thought" in the RR? I was trying to think back none really pop off the top of my mind.
Go down as "thought", what do you mean?
Old 01-22-2009, 12:56 AM   #9

May 2007
Orlando,Fl
Send a message via Yahoo to Sloan78

Broken story, next night on Raw/PPV (in the old days) a challenge was issued by the RR winner "runner up".
Old 01-22-2009, 01:03 AM   #10
Power Member

Feb 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloan78 View Post
Broken story, next night on Raw/PPV (in the old days) a challenge was issued by the RR winner "runner up".
Not at a Royal Rumble, no. I remember at WrestleMania 2000, Hardcore Holly walked out as the Hardcore Champion, when it was really suppose to be Crash Holly, and Crash quickly won the title back the next night.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:58 AM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Minnesota
Send a message via AIM to Minimejer05 Send a message via MSN to Minimejer05 Send a message via Yahoo to Minimejer05 Send a message via Skype™ to Minimejer05

I will be buying this. Wrestle Mania looked FANTASTIC.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:39 PM   #12
Hot Deals Moderator

Aug 2007
Detroit, MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by metsfan1545d View Post
The appearance of Christian should save that match.

Yes, the card doesn't look too great. The same can be said for the rumored Wrestlemania card.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:42 PM   #13
Power Member

Feb 2007

Quote:
The appearance of Christian should save that match.

Yes, the card doesn't look too great. The same can be said for the rumored Wrestlemania card.
No Christian, but RVD made a shocking appearance.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:04 PM   #14
Expert Member

Aug 2008

If only the actual Rumble match was enjoyable. Every other match was great
Old 01-26-2009, 06:27 PM   #15
Power Member

Feb 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Bolt_ View Post
I thought it was ok, but probably had too many people towards the end. But it definitely got exciting once RVD showed up.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:04 PM   #16
Expert Member

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by djluis2k6 View Post
I thought it was ok, but probably had too many people towards the end. But it definitely got exciting once RVD showed up.
Edge/Hardy match was by far the best match since Flair/Michaels WM24 until Vickie showed up in the last 5 minutes. It became as predictable as when Vince and Austin teamed up on the Rock at WM17.

The RR match itself was such a disappointment. There was 1 surprise (RVD) and I knew earlier in the day he was going to be in it.

I mean Umaga is probably about 2 weeks from coming back. They couldnt have him enter instead of Hacksaw? Or Kennedy? They would have only had to work for 10 minutes.

Kozlov, Orton, HHH, Khali, Jericho all entered within 6 participants of each other.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:07 PM   #17
Hot Deals Moderator

Aug 2007
Detroit, MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Bolt_ View Post
I was there last night, and I disagree. The Rumble match was the only part of the event that was enjoyable, except for the predictable ending.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:22 PM   #18
Power Member

Feb 2007

Quote:
I was there last night, and I disagree. The Rumble match was the only part of the event that was enjoyable, except for the predictable ending.
I was at the 2007 Royal Rumble in San Antonio. It's definitely a completely different thing to watch it live on TV and being there live in person. It can often be more entertaining on TV.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:15 AM   #19
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2008
Las Vegas, NV

-- Women's match was sloppy, but Beth's alternate anklelock while beating Melina in the head with her own foot was ****ing funny and an awesome spot. The point of a title change here with no Rosa Mendez appearance eludes me and I'm disappointed Beth lost since I was hoping to see her defend it at Mania.

-- JBL Vs. Cena was more of an angle than a match, which was good since the actual match itself was not good. Why Shawn didn't just grab the original ref and toss him in to make the 3 count I don't know? Hopefully, they blow off this JBL/HBK feud at No Way Out and book Shawn Michaels Vs. The Undertaker for Mania since they teased it for the third time in a row on this show. I was kind of disappointed though since I was hoping Undertaker would get involved to counter Shawn's interference and cost JBL the title so that Layfield could order Shawn to go after the Dead Man.

-- Edge Vs. Sting...I mean Jeff was a very good match since these guys can practically wrestle each other in their sleep by this point. As soon as Vickie announced it was No DQ, I knew Jeff would get screwed. I thought Jeff had hurt himself during the table spot on Chavo since it looked like he slipped off the ladder. But of course, the true shocker was Matt's heel turn. Everybody including me was expecting Christian, but they pulled a great swerve on us with Version 1. My sportsbar audience gave out a true "Holy shit!" reaction.

And it only makes sense with Matt going in this direction. After he lost his rematch to Swagger, he would've been going back to mid-card Hell to aimlessly flounder about. I had a feeling it was coming soon, but I did not expect it Sunday night. Matt will probably claim that Jeff's problems have been a distraction, and the real reason why he lost to Swagger. The success of his heel turn though will depend almost completely on the promo he cuts on Smackdown! this week. I wonder if Matt will get a new heel entrance theme song.

I just hope Matt's turn won't be one of those TNA-like angles where if you sit back and look at the timeline, nothing makes sense (already noting if the jealousy aspect is supposed to date back to Survivor Series, why was Matt jealous when he was ECW champion and Jeff was nothing, and why didn't he just job to Kozlov so Jeff wouldn't have made it to Armageddon?) but I really am interested in what they do with this. It's kind of like the Shawn Michaels angle - it's weak on paper with many illogical plot holes, but they do an awesome job making it work on TV.

Hardy Vs. Hardy will make for some excellent story telling. Had it been anybody else that cost Jeff the title, I would've been PISSED!

- The Rumble. I popped for Orton kicking Vince's ass on Raw so I figured he'd be a lock to win it. There were perhaps too many major names in it in the first half of the Rumble, thus preventing the fun "clearing the ring" spots we usually get, but it was a nice change for once. I was happy to hear the MVP chants and to hear the crowd actually boo his elimination, which thankfully he wasn't the first one out. Maybe 2009 will be a kinder year to him. Rey lasted way too long in it this year, Knox should have tossed him in quick fashion once he hit the ring. Santino (NEW record at 1 second being eliminated) and Ziggler's quick tosses were also really funny stuff.

The RVD guest spot ruled big time. The greatness of his cameos is that he picks times when no one is really suspecting anything and shows up to get a massive pop. In fact, I was seriously hoping that RVD had signed a new deal and thus was going to take this thing in his homestate. Can anyone argue that Van Dam was the most over guy in the ring for the time he was in it? I wish he'd come back full time, though he probably would end up doing nothing.

Well, I got my Jericho / Undertaker confrontation. I still would like to see those two FINALLY have a 1 on 1 match sometime. Maybe at Wrestlemania if we can't get Michaels / Taker.

It was a nice touch to see the original Royal Rumble, Jim Duggan, participate. I'm glad to know a legend like him to still madly over. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! and then when he got eliminated, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

HHH in the final four (not to mention the final two) for the umpteenth time is just dull. So much big time talent to choose from...but nope, come Rumble and Mania, it's always HHH in the end. I was actually worried that with The Legacy and Hunter left, Trips was going to overcome the odds and win it, but thanks to smart thinking, Orton threw his ass out immediately instead of giving us the traditional final two mini-match. It made for a nice dynamic that Orton had two pawns to work with instead of "Legacy turning on each other in the match" like we've seen in the past so many times with tag teams and stable members fighting each other.

As far as the aftermath goes, who knows what will happen with Orton. So in that respect this show did work. I'm really excited that WM 25's main event will (hopefully) be Cena Vs. Orton. I wonder if Randy is forced to enter the Elimination Chamber as punishment (even though it's for the World Heavyweight Title) or someone else wins the title there and goes on to face Orton at WM. With both titles being on the line for No Way Out, they almost have to change one of the titles. They need to not toy around with the winner stipulation. It's been done too many times already especially in the past few years, but of course, in retaliation for the attack on Vince, I bet the McMahons will put Orton in matches where he has to defend that title shot. Honestly, he should be after all the things he's done like costing Punk the World Heavyweight Title.

So all in all, The 2009 Royal Rumble match is now my 2nd favorite Royal Rumble right behind 2004. Like the previous Rumble, there was just so much going on at once that it kept it interesting to watch from start to finish. I just wish Shawn Michaels and Matt Hardy had been in it to make it even better.
It's showtime, folks!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America