COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Audio Signature Classical Collection (Blu-ray)
$144.01
Battle Royale (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Inside Llewyn Davis (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Source Code (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gangs of New York (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Pacific Rim (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Dragonwolf (Blu-ray)
$18.20
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$189.96
Leviathan (Blu-ray)
$15.89
God's Not Dead (Blu-ray)
$17.29
Jaws (Blu-ray)
$7.99
World War Z 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.92
Los Angeles Kings: 2014 Stanley Cup Champions (Blu-ray)
$20.95
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Last Vegas (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 Double Pack (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Oldboy (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Smurfs 2 (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 04-30-2007, 06:03 PM   #1

Jan 2007
San Diego, CA
Default Officer and a Gentleman...who's picking these titles?

Was there really a huge calling for a High-Def version of this movie? How many copies does Paramount really think they'll sale? Please focus on something more geared toward the current market that may win the format war...Star Trek? Indiana Jones? Did they not learn anything from the debut of Caino Royale and the sales of Batman Begins on HD-DVD?

I don't see how some people keep their jobs...

Last edited by akadkins; 04-30-2007 at 06:14 PM.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:10 PM   #2

Jan 2007

I agree when I see title's like these.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:20 PM   #3
Expert Member

Jan 2007
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by akadkins View Post
Was there really a huge calling for a High-Def version of this movie? How many copies does Paramount really think they'll sale? Please focus on something more geared toward the current market that may win the format war...Star Trek? Indiana Jones? Did they not learn anything from the debut of Caino Royale and the sales of Batman Begins on HD-DVD?

I do not think Paramount is trying to win the war with any title they release seeing as they are format neutral.

Sure it is important to cater to the earlier adopter, but you have to draw others to the format by having a wide variety of titles.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:22 PM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2006
KY

i wish they would take our advice on all these surveys about what people want... hmmm
PS3 ID: ashliz
G.A.P. Memeber
Girl Gamer
46'' XBR3 Sony LCD

http://pfcdn.net/site/trophy_widget/psn/movies3.png
PS3 Trophies
Old 04-30-2007, 09:46 PM   #5

Mar 2007
East Molesey, Surrey, UK

Quote:

I know, it's utter pants! The amount of drivel that gets 'Blu-ray'd' is unbelievable.

Where's the biggies? Where's the quality? Films like Ultraviolet and that god-awful Fantastic Four are simply a waste of Blu-ray.

Shawshank Redemption.
Green Mile.
Donnie Darko.
Blade Runner.
Cast Away.
Philadelphia.
K-Pax.
Arlington Road.
Sin City.
Lost in Translation.
American Beauty.

That's a bit more like it.
If I'm not here, I'll be elsewhere, probably writing music using my Mac and additional peripherals. :) I love technology.

www.filterlab.co.uk

Last edited by Filterlab; 04-30-2007 at 09:50 PM.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:03 PM   #6
Banned

Dec 2006

Where is the damn Braveheart?

Where is the damn Gladiator?

Where is the damn Troy?

If you release the titles above in BD then I will approve that the Blu-Ray is a success. Until then..... I am disappointed. Please don't make me buy HD-DVD drive and movies.... I really don't want to spend money on it...
Old 04-30-2007, 11:23 PM   #7

Apr 2007

Quote:

I can't say that I'm impressed with the selection of an Officer and a Gentleman on BR. Apparently Paramount isn't aiming to increase profits for home video. Granted, a release of one Star Trek film would blow away any sales this title gives.

But hey.. what do we know. Maybe it's good for them to wait so that if BR wins we get lossless audio and higher bitrates for the goodies and not just a port.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:55 PM   #8
ELLIPSIS

Paramount and other studios are releasing these tites because they have the most control over them. Movies like the Star Wars trilogy and Indiana Jones are not available because they are owned by the big shot producers like Lucas and Spileberg. It's pretty much their decision when these movies come out.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:42 AM   #9
Power Member

Sep 2006
B.C. Canada

An Officer and a Gentlemen is a good movie. I once gave it to my mom who would not watch it. Its something I could watch maybe once a year. Give us the Star Trek movies and that will equate to big sales and repeat viewing. Maybe Paramount could put those movies into warp drive and make us all happy.
-Sony KDS 55A2000 SXRD
-Sony BDP S1 Blu Ray Player
-PSB Stratus Gold Speakers
-Pioneer Elite VSX-94TXH
-Sony RDR-GX300 DVD Recorder
-Motorola HD Sat Receiver
Old 05-01-2007, 01:35 AM   #10

Oct 2006

Paramount is releasing a newly remastered "An Officer and a Gentleman" tomorrow so they probabaly did the HD transfer at the same time.

I'll be picking this one up. It's one I've been waiting for on HD. I like the big catalog titles as much as I do the day & date releases.

They're releasing big catalog titles along with day & date releases to attract a more diverse movie collector on HD.

I don't know if you guys knew it or not but "An Officer and a Gentleman" made over $100 million dollars at the US Box Office so it's not a little title.

Again I think the main reason they're releasing this one is because they are re-releasing it tomorrow on standard DVD with a remastered transfer.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:45 AM   #11

Mar 2007
Ayase-Shi, Japan

I used to buy 3-4 dvd every Tuesday, but because of this I may buy 2 at the most.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:14 AM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2006
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Send a message via Yahoo to WriteSimply Send a message via Skype™ to WriteSimply

It's the WAF - Wife Acceptance Factor.

Most movies are for guys. A lot more are for the kids. It's time to get some for the wives. It's all good for the format so long as they do a good and fair job at it.

fuad
Old 05-02-2007, 03:51 PM   #13

Mar 2007
Buffalo, NY

I think instead of releasing A Officer And A Gentleman they should have released Top Gun. I personally think that'd sell more copies.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America