Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
2 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
2 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow (Blu-ray)
$14.99
7 hrs ago
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Blu-ray)
$14.99
2 hrs ago
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99
11 hrs ago
Alien Anthology and Prometheus (Blu-ray)
$19.98
11 hrs ago
Neighbors (Blu-ray)
$9.99
7 hrs ago
Jersey Boys (Blu-ray)
$14.99
7 hrs ago
Tammy (Blu-ray)
$14.99
7 hrs ago
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$14.99
9 hrs ago
Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure (Blu-ray)
$4.99
5 hrs ago
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Lone Survivor (Blu-ray)
$9.99
5 hrs ago
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 01-24-2009, 04:44 PM   #1

Jan 2009
Default blu ray has no sound on tv

O.k I have managed to connect my sony laptop to tv and got the blu ray playing.Th sound works great in the menu area of the film but as soon as the film plays the sound cuts.I cant figure it out.I noticed when just watching a bluray on the laptop itself the sound level dropped off when the films start and it is better in menu. Maybe I need to change a setting but would appreciate a techy telly me how!!!!.Dont want to have to call sony to get an answer.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:42 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007
Hercules, CA

What model of VAIO?
Vista or XP?
What audio is the machine using, Realtek or SigmaTel - or both?
What are the audio settings, and what are you using for the audio - the TV or a reciever?

If you have the audio set to 5.1 and only using 2 speakers(and the machine/software doesn't default to 2 channel for you) then much of the sound will be missing
VGN-AR190G - UJ-210S BD Burner
VGN-AR730E/B - UJ-120 BD Combo

like.no.other
Old 01-24-2009, 06:55 PM   #3

Jan 2009

Hello mate,just solved it,real simple as i changed from dolby true hd sound to normal dolby on film setup and it works good.Would love dolby true but I am thinking my sony vgn-fw21L laptop does not support true hd sound.Is this right.Want to know more about this. Thanks for reply as I HAVE SPENT 2 HOURS TODAY JUST TO START A FILM!!. Will be back online tomorrow.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:17 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007
Hercules, CA

Using the pre-installed WinDVD BD?
Lose it and get ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre.

like.no.other
Old 01-25-2009, 04:45 PM   #5

Jan 2009

using preinstalled windvd.Thanks for rec on software.To watch blu ray in true hd sound apart from having a player that has the right coding does your tv need to be true hd enabled i.e HDMI v 1.3 (cable or tv setting) and do you need surround speakers or can u just use tv speakers ?.just want to get a handle on what i need to set this up in future ifanyone knows.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:05 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007
Hercules, CA

Most TVs are stereo - 2 channel.
True HD(I think) is 6 channel - 5.1.

Many TVs now have Simulated Surround... but it aint the same, ya know?
Running the movie through a TV wil still work, but having the sound "surround" you just won't happen.

Yeah, lose the pre-installed WinDVD BD... ArcSoft or PowerDVD 8 Ultra have BD-Live - *NO* WinDVD(even the retail version) has BD-Live.

ArcSoft is my preferred BD player software.

like.no.other
Old 01-25-2009, 11:27 PM   #7
Power Member

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadkins View Post
If you have the audio set to 5.1 and only using 2 speakers(and the machine/software doesn't default to 2 channel for you) then much of the sound will be missing
no you don't lose sound. It will simply mix to stereo. You don't lose any sound information.

Now I'm having troulbe following the original post....after a movie starts do you have no sound or the volume just gets lower? I thiiink you are saying that you get no sound, if so, this is because your computer doesn't support it. Currently the only way to get HD sound on a computer is to have a video card that has sound hardware built onto it and can either output it over HDMI or using an adapter cable, run it to your own sound hardware.
Pizza Breath in The Nostrils of Love

PSN/EA Origin = Toptube (for BF4)
Old 01-26-2009, 03:01 AM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007
Hercules, CA

"(and the machine/software doesn't default to 2 channel for you)"

Been there, done that. That's why I posted it.
Something was set wrong and ya heard some of the music, and the narration would occasionally cruise by the stereo speakers.
Yes! The sound can be missing if there are only 2 speakers and 5.1 is being played.

Once "2 Speaker Stereo" was selected, there was all sound coming out of the 2 speakers.

like.no.other
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software