COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Y Tu Mamá También (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Operation Petticoat (Blu-ray)
$17.98
Jumanji (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$18.96
The Amazing Spider-Man 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Tinto Brass: Maestro of Erotica Cinema (Blu-ray)
$45.34
The East (Blu-ray)
$6.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$74.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Jarhead 2: Field of Fire (Blu-ray)
$17.78
All That Heaven Allows (Blu-ray)
$22.98
Once Upon a Time: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Breaking Bad: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$102.49
Homeland: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$31.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 05-07-2007, 02:39 PM   #1

Jan 2006
Default 'Flags of our Fathers' and 'Letters from Iwo Jima'

I havent seen these movies. But, after seeing both trailers, it made me wonder.

It is has the same thing, the battle in Iwo Jima. And same director, Clint Eastwood.

What I was wondering is. Are these 2 movies a whole? As in, Same actors, same story, but 2 different sides of a story?

That the actors in 'Letters from Iwo Jima' have a brief appearence in the movie 'Flags of our Fathers', and the other way around?
For instance, in the battle scenes? Maybe same battle scene, but different camera angles in each movie?
Old 05-07-2007, 02:43 PM   #2
Special Member

Mar 2007

I don't know about the actors being in both movies, but they are companion movies. Like you said, it's the same battle told from the American (Flags) and Japanese (Letters) points of view.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:47 PM   #3

Mar 2007
OHIO
Thumbs up

Yes i have seen Flags and i really want to see Letters, i believe it is from both sides, and same actors. i am hoping there is a lot more battle sequences in Letter from Iwo Jima, than Flags of our fathers, although Flags of our fathers was a very good movie.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:36 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2007
Daddyland

The entire focus of each movie is very different and the actors are different. The moments when the movies intersect is incidental. For Flags, Clint Eastwood focused on the three soldiers who were paraded around the US as a result of appearing in a photo picked up on the front page of all the newspapers. The actual battle scenes are all flashbacks, similar to Saving Private Ryan. Letters was more of a real-time account of Japan's last stand on Iwo Jima. Eastwood focused on the theme of honor among the Japanese soldiers who knew they were fighting a losing battle. You can see moments when the two movies intersect, but they really are separate films.
EyeSpeech: Speak Your Eye
B&W Speakers
: 802D | HTM1D | ASW-825 | N805 | SCM1
Amps: VAC Phi Beta 110i | Audio Refinement Multi-5 | Integra DTC-9.8
Display & Front End: Pioneer KRP-600 Kuro | Oppo BDP-95
Misc.: VPI Scout | PSA Premier | Electra Glide & Alpha Core cables
Old 05-07-2007, 06:23 PM   #5
Special Member

Mar 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremal View Post
The entire focus of each movie is very different and the actors are different. The moments when the movies intersect is incidental. For Flags, Clint Eastwood focused on the three soldiers who were paraded around the US as a result of appearing in a photo picked up on the front page of all the newspapers. The actual battle scenes are all flashbacks, similar to Saving Private Ryan. Letters was more of a real-time account of Japan's last stand on Iwo Jima. Eastwood focused on the theme of honor among the Japanese soldiers who knew they were fighting a losing battle. You can see moments when the two movies intersect, but they really are separate films.
Yea, you don't HAVE to see them together, but they are companion movies. At least that's how Eastwood wanted them to be known. Not like Kill Bill 1 and 2, which work as separate movies, but you need to see both, but still as companions.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:51 PM   #6

Mar 2007
Post 'Flags of our Fathers' and 'Letters from Iwo Jima'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainman View Post
I havent seen these movies. But, after seeing both trailers, it made me wonder.

It is has the same thing, the battle in Iwo Jima. And same director, Clint Eastwood.

What I was wondering is. Are these 2 movies a whole? As in, Same actors, same story, but 2 different sides of a story?

That the actors in 'Letters from Iwo Jima' have a brief appearence in the movie 'Flags of our Fathers', and the other way around?
For instance, in the battle scenes? Maybe same battle scene, but different camera angles in each movie?
Hello,

I saw both and actually they are two different movies with the same theme with different actors. Also Letters from Iwo Jima is spoken Japanese with English Subtitles. BUT let me tell you I think IMHO Letters from Iwo Jima is way better than Flags of our Fathers. But don't get me wrong I loved Flags of our Fathers. If I were you I would pick up both movies. They do go hand in hand you see the USA side of things in Flags of our Fathers and in Letters from Iwo Jima you see the Japanese side of things. If you think you wont like Letters from Iwo Jima believe me if you sit down and watch and read all of the subtitles you will really like it.

-------------------------------------------
Sony-KDS-R60XBR2- 60" Full HD 1080p
Sony-BDP-S1
Blu-ray Collection-141
Pioneer-VSX-516-K - A/V Receiver
HDMI HD Digital Cable TV DVR @1080i Output
HDMI HD Dish Network DVR @1080i Output
Yamaha - Speakers
Acoustic Research 6' HDMI Digital A/V Cable

Last edited by meyerste; 05-07-2007 at 06:53 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America