Best Blu-ray Deals

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Guardians of the Galaxy 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Deadwood: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$58.99
Treme: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$64.99
Entourage: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$96.99
Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$89.99
Rise of the Guardians 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Big Hero 6 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Maze Runner (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3D (Blu-ray)
$69.99
Fairy Tail: Part 13 (Blu-ray)
$31.69
Dragon Ball Z: Season 8 (Blu-ray)
$25.89
White Christmas (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Rocky: Heavyweight Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 09-19-2014, 07:39 PM   #1
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007
Default Going from 2 to 3 subs?

I have two Acoustech PL-200's in my front stage and want to put a 3rd sub in the back of the room.

Should I be concerned about they type of sub I purchase as a 3rd unit in the room or matching of the three? Just glancing, I could buy a Polk PSW10 for pretty cheap, but that is a big difference in power and frequency from the two PL-200's. I'd have to spend a bit more to get something similar to the front stage like a BIC F12 maybe.
Detroit/Michigan Sports Fanatic - Go Blue, Wings, Tigers, Lions, Pistons!
Famous Blu-ray.com Quotes:
"the Anti-Crim wasn't banned, though...just regular and pirate version" - jkwest
"Crim if you can read this, give us a sign." - dpompeo (aka dpomp)
"I'm glad you aren't dead." - BruceWayne
"Brucey!!!! nice...getting lucky with some rapper skank!" - jkwest

Last edited by Schultzy; 09-19-2014 at 08:22 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:57 PM   #2

Jul 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultzy View Post
I have two Acoustech PL-200's in my front stage and want to put a 3rd sub in the back of the room.

Should I be concerned about they type of sub I purchase as a 3rd unit in the room or matching of the three? Just glancing, I could buy a Polk PSW10 for pretty cheap, but that is a big difference in power and frequency from the two PL-200's. I'd have to spend a bit more to get something similar to the front stage like a BIC F12 maybe.

Usually you want to use identical subs. At the least, try to be sure they have similar FR <50hz. The more different the FR is down low the more you run into phase shift induced bass cancellation.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Old 09-20-2014, 06:03 AM   #3

Sep 2011
Pittsburgh, PA

I have 5 subs and only 2 of them match. I fkkn love it. Nuff said. :P
Old 09-20-2014, 04:08 PM   #4
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2013
Between Heaven ↑ & Hell ↓ ......
Thumbs up Go for it

I have 3 subs in my living room set up...None of them are identical.

Does it take a little more tweaking to get them all set up right, sure it does. Will it work, hell yes it will. Will you be happy? Yes, if they all are running in phase. Do all three of my subs have variable phase controls, yes. Does that help, yes indeed.

Feel free to visit my galleries.
"Since sound and music perception is entirely imaginary (you can't touch or photograph a musical image), what and how we hear is formed only in our brains and is not measurable. "
Old 09-22-2014, 04:05 PM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy13 View Post
I have 3 subs in my living room set up...None of them are identical.

Does it take a little more tweaking to get them all set up right, sure it does. Will it work, hell yes it will. Will you be happy? Yes, if they all are running in phase. Do all three of my subs have variable phase controls, yes. Does that help, yes indeed.

Feel free to visit my galleries.
Out of curiosity, what phase setting do you have on the ones in your front stage and what on the one in the rear?
"the Anti-Crim wasn't banned, though...just regular and pirate version" - jkwest
Old 09-22-2014, 04:35 PM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2009
-
-

What's the purpose of having two subwoofers in the front anyway, if you have a moderate size, or a small room. Why don't you put one of them in the back? Subwoofers are not stereophonic! Subwoofers outputs a one channeled, LFE audio signal.

Last edited by slimdude; 09-23-2014 at 06:23 AM.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:18 PM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
What's the purpose of having two subwoofers in the front anyway, if you have a moderate size, or a small room. Why don't you put one of them in the back? Subwoofers are is not stereophonic! Subwoofers outputs a one channeled, LFE audio signal.
I've just always heard the more the better with subs. I just happened to put both up front when I decided to upgrade. As bad as it sounds, I also like the look of the two subs in my front stage (haven't updated my gallery in a long time). That is really not important to me, but it is a small plus. I may ditch the idea of three, and put one of the two in the back to see if that improves bass response in the room.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:57 PM   #8
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
What's the purpose of having two subwoofers in the front anyway, if you have a moderate size, or a small room. Why don't you put one of them in the back? Subwoofers are is not stereophonic! Subwoofers outputs a one channeled, LFE audio signal.
Close proximity will increase output by several dB's
Old 09-22-2014, 11:23 PM   #9
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2013

Quote:
Out of curiosity, what phase setting do you have on the ones in your front stage and what on the one in the rear?
All speakers, rooms, and room modes make for different settings. But to answer your question. ...90 & 180....the one behind the couch is also at 180... these are the settings which yielded the absolute best response.

Quote:
The best place to place them is wherever you get the best response. PERIOD
"Since sound and music perception is entirely imaginary (you can't touch or photograph a musical image), what and how we hear is formed only in our brains and is not measurable. "

Last edited by Billy13; 09-22-2014 at 11:28 PM.
Thanks given by:
Schultzy (09-23-2014), wormraper (09-23-2014)
Old 09-23-2014, 04:24 PM   #10
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy13 View Post
All speakers, rooms, and room modes make for different settings. But to answer your question. ...90 & 180....the one behind the couch is also at 180... these are the settings which yielded the absolute best response.
What did you use to test the phase on the 3 subs? Did you use a test tone, or listen to actual movies or music?
Old 09-23-2014, 10:21 PM   #11
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2013

Quote:
What did you use to test the phase on the 3 subs? Did you use a test tone, or listen to actual movies or music?
Test tones, and an spl meter
Old 10-21-2014, 12:22 AM   #12

Jul 2014

I have 2 BIC F12s in front and a 3rd Soundworks Basscube 15 behind the seating area. The basscube is 14 years old. Looking to upgrade and will probably go the diy route with a dayton ultimax 15.

My room is big. 4500cb ft. I don't have the budget that others have but I have a decent setup. I couldn't live with just 2 subs.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:40 AM   #13
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupedogg24 View Post
I have 2 BIC F12s in front and a 3rd Soundworks Basscube 15 behind the seating area. The basscube is 14 years old. Looking to upgrade and will probably go the diy route with a dayton ultimax 15.

My room is big. 4500cb ft. I don't have the budget that others have but I have a decent setup. I couldn't live with just 2 subs.
I've heard good things about that Ultimax 15! Looks like it'll take wuite a bit of power too! what amp are you thinking of using with it?

And nooooooo, I could never go back to fewer subs either
Old 10-21-2014, 01:53 AM   #14

Jul 2014

My basement is already wired with RCA cables so I'm going plate amp - Dayton SPA1000. Wld love to use iNuke for the $$$ and ability to run multiple subs but since I'm already wired with RCA the SPA1000 makes sense.
Thanks given by:
Billy13 (10-21-2014)
Old 10-23-2014, 01:41 PM   #15

Dec 2013
Canada

For anyone getting multiple subs, I think it's worth looking into getting a transducer for your seating instead, like a Buttkicker or Crowson, before adding that 3rd/4th sub.

In most viewing environments, it adds more to the movie-watching experience, IMO.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:16 AM   #16
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
For anyone getting multiple subs, I think it's worth looking into getting a transducer for your seating instead, like a Buttkicker or Crowson, before adding that 3rd/4th sub.

In most viewing environments, it adds more to the movie-watching experience, IMO.
There's a lot to be said however about the shear force of air pressure though that comes with multiples
Old 10-24-2014, 07:04 PM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
LOTR Auckland, New Zealand (Down Under)

^

Another new Avatar Billy. Nice

I'm in the three big subs camp. I figured early on that I could do the traditional two along the front wall system but to smooth it out I should fill in the back of the room. Mine is like a triangle configuration. I figured right the third fills in the hole and smooths the frequency responce.
Source: iPod 160G in Arcam DrDock, 2x Oppo BDP-103D's (Blu-ray, CD, SACD and DVD Audio), PS3 and PS4.
Amplification: Marantz SR7009(Atmos), 2x Marantz MM7055's (10 amps bi-amping 5 channels).
Speakers: (Atmos 5.3.2): 4 x Polk RTiA7's, Polk CSP 1000, 2x Atlantic TLC-8.2, Polk PSW 1200, 2x SVS SB Ultra 13's and triple buttkicker system.
Projection: Dreamvision Yunzi + 3 Tentation Ltd. Ed.
Headgear: Woo WA22 (tube amp), Oppo HA-1 (DAC and amp), Audeze LCD-3.

BLU's FOR SALE
Thanks given by:
Billy13 (10-24-2014)
Old 10-24-2014, 11:31 PM   #18
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badas View Post
^

Another new Avatar Billy. Nice

I'm in the three big subs camp. I figured early on that I could do the traditional two along the front wall system but to smooth it out I should fill in the back of the room. Mine is like a triangle configuration. I figured right the third fills in the hole and smooths the frequency responce.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers