Best Blu-ray Deals

Black Friday Week is Live, $3.99 Blu-ray Movies »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Masters of Sex: Season One (Blu-ray)
$14.96
8 hrs ago
Person of Interest: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Lone Survivor (Blu-ray)
$7.99

X-Men: First Class (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Son of Batman (Blu-ray)
$8.00
10 hrs ago
The Avengers (Blu-ray)
$9.99

You Only Live Twice (Blu-ray)
$3.99
8 hrs ago
Rise of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$3.99

The Princess Bride (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 6 (Blu-ray)
$31.99

The Terminator (Blu-ray)
$3.99

The Walking Dead: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers

Old 04-04-2009, 07:04 PM   #241

Jan 2008
Juuuuuuuust A Bit Outside....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJxiv1215 View Post
I need to setup a South Florida HT Owners Association or something.
like a support group perhaps???
Excessive Compulsive Ellipses Abuser
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffetfroid View Post
The chip on your shoulder is bigger than Godard's ego.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post
oh dear its a crazy person
Old 04-04-2009, 07:07 PM   #242
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Miami, FL
Send a message via AIM to JJ Send a message via Yahoo to JJ Send a message via Skype™ to JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beta Man View Post
like a support group perhaps???
- Orbis non Sufficit
================

Sonus Faber Venere - Epik Empire
***NO MAIN DISPLAY?*** - Emotiva XPA-3
Pioneer Elite VSX-03 - Pioneer Elite DV-48 - Sony S790
Old 04-04-2009, 09:43 PM   #243

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
aahhh, i would be open to you demoing the sub and other equipment. Big DDY, don't you live in LA... that is the GTG I would want to check out......
I don't live in LA anymore. I am a lot closer to you now in the canyons of the San Bernardino mountains.
HT Room: Panasonic PT-AE8000, Epson 1080UB Proj., Mitsubishi 65" Diamond Series HD TV, Yamaha-RX-A3010 Rec., CinePro 6-Ch. Amp. (350 W/Ch, 8 Ohm), Proton D1200 Amp., Behringer EP4000 & EPX3000 Amps., Oppo BDP-83, Sony BDP-S790, Audio Technica Tuntable, Mitsubishi S-VHS, 2 Def. Tech. Super Towers w 15" subs, 1 Def. Tech. Center & 1 Martin-Logan Center, 2 Def. Tech. Surr. & 2 PSB Surr., 2 Cadence Presence, 2 Bose 901 Rears, 2 Modified HSU 12" Subs, 1 ED DIY 12" Sub, 1 ED DIY 15" Sub, Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer Equalizer, DirecTV HD, Monster HTS 5000 & APC H15 Power Conditioners.
Two-Channel Room: XiangSheng Tube Preamp., Carver TFM-45 Amp. (375 W/Ch), Behringer EPX4000 Amp., Onkyo CD player, Denon Turntable, Yamaha Tuner, 2 Vintage Polk RTA-15TL Speakers, 2 LCY 100 Super Tweeters, 2 DIY Folded Horn Super Towers with 15" Sub., 1 Modified AA HD-SUB12
Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" Diamond Series TV, Yamaha DSP-A3090 Rec., DirecTV HD-DVR, PS3, Zvox Speaker, 1 DIY 12" Sub.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:35 AM   #244

Feb 2009

Just wanted to make sure I hooked it up the best way.

I got an Yamaha V663 and the HD-10 is hooked up one of the LFE channels on the AMP and I just have the cable plugged into I think it was the High Left (top right) plug on the amp. It did come with the Y adapter and the RCA cable, but I am not using it.

I have a second smaller sub (cheapo) yamaha that I am wanting to add so I want to make sure I have this one installed right.

Big Daddy, I expect you will reply with all the right answers
Old 04-05-2009, 05:30 AM   #245

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstutman View Post

I got an Yamaha V663 and the HD-10 is hooked up one of the LFE channels on the AMP and I just have the cable plugged into I think it was the High Left (top right) plug on the amp. It did come with the Y adapter and the RCA cable, but I am not using it.

I have a second smaller sub (cheapo) yamaha that I am wanting to add so I want to make sure I have this one installed right.

1. Use the Y adapter that was in the box and attach it to the sub cable. Then insert the Y adapter into both left and right inputs. On this subwoofer, you will get an increase of 5 or 6 db's. You may have to turn the volume on the back a little lower.
2. To add a second subwoofer, buy a Y adapter (1 male, 2 female) and a long sub cable. Remove the sub cable from the back of the receiver and insert the male side of the new Y adapter into it. Attach the two sub cables into the female side of the Y adapter and connect each one to the appropeiate sub.

With two subs, you will have to experiment to get good bass sound. The end result will be better than one subwoofer as you can create more uniform bass across the room for all listening positions. You have several options:
  • Put one sub in the middle of the right wall and one in the middle of the left wall.
  • Put one sub in the middle of the front wall and one in the middle of the rear wall.
  • Put one in the front corner and one in rear corner, diagonally opposite of the front sub.
  • Put the HD-Sub 10 sub in the front corner, a few feet away from the wall and put the smaller sub close to your listening area. The sub up front will provide you with deeper and lower frequency bass and sub near you will provide you with upper frequency bass sound.
In all cases, move the subs a couple of feet away from the walls and adjust their levels so that one does not overpower the other.
HT Room: Panasonic PT-AE8000, Epson 1080UB Proj., Mitsubishi 65" Diamond Series HD TV, Yamaha-RX-A3010 Rec., CinePro 6-Ch. Amp. (350 W/Ch, 8 Ohm), Proton D1200 Amp., Behringer EP4000 & EPX3000 Amps., Oppo BDP-83, Sony BDP-S790, Audio Technica Tuntable, Mitsubishi S-VHS, 2 Def. Tech. Super Towers w 15" subs, 1 Def. Tech. Center & 1 Martin-Logan Center, 2 Def. Tech. Surr. & 2 PSB Surr., 2 Cadence Presence, 2 Bose 901 Rears, 2 Modified HSU 12" Subs, 1 ED DIY 12" Sub, 1 ED DIY 15" Sub, Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer Equalizer, DirecTV HD, Monster HTS 5000 & APC H15 Power Conditioners.
Two-Channel Room: XiangSheng Tube Preamp., Carver TFM-45 Amp. (375 W/Ch), Behringer EPX4000 Amp., Onkyo CD player, Denon Turntable, Yamaha Tuner, 2 Vintage Polk RTA-15TL Speakers, 2 LCY 100 Super Tweeters, 2 DIY Folded Horn Super Towers with 15" Sub., 1 Modified AA HD-SUB12
Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" Diamond Series TV, Yamaha DSP-A3090 Rec., DirecTV HD-DVR, PS3, Zvox Speaker, 1 DIY 12" Sub.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:03 AM   #246
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2008
Riverside, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
I don't live in LA anymore. I am a lot closer to you now in the canyons of the San Bernardino mountains.
Even better, whens the Demo..
Video: Panasonic 55" P55ST50, Oppo BDP-103
Amplification: Integra DTR-40.2, Naim Nait XS-2 Integrated Amp
2-CH: Jolida FX Tube DAC, MacBook Pro, Audirvana Music Software
Speakers: Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210 C, DM 2/6
Subwoofer:
Hsu VTF-2 MK4, Auralex Subriser
Old 04-05-2009, 06:06 AM   #247
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2008
Riverside, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstutman View Post

Doesn't the 663 have 2 sub outs on the back of it??? I could have sworn.
Video: Panasonic 55" P55ST50, Oppo BDP-103
Amplification: Integra DTR-40.2, Naim Nait XS-2 Integrated Amp
2-CH: Jolida FX Tube DAC, MacBook Pro, Audirvana Music Software
Speakers: Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210 C, DM 2/6
Subwoofer:
Hsu VTF-2 MK4, Auralex Subriser
Old 04-05-2009, 06:09 AM   #248
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Miami, FL
Send a message via AIM to JJ Send a message via Yahoo to JJ Send a message via Skype™ to JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
Doesn't the 663 have 2 sub outs on the back of it??? I could have sworn.
The 663 does....
- Orbis non Sufficit
================

Old 04-05-2009, 04:25 PM   #249
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2009
In the country

I'm just so undecided on this sub it's driving me nuts. I know it's a budget sub and this is what I'm in the market for but is this one of those white van subs??? I am looking at either the 10" HD or 12" HD sub. I have also been eying the PA-120 and not sure if the quality is better with that sub. This seems to be the only place for reviews for the acoustic audio subs as I can't find any other reviews on it.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:33 PM   #250
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Miami, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by erict View Post
I'm just so undecided on this sub it's driving me nuts. I know it's a budget sub and this is what I'm in the market for but is this one of those white van subs??? I am looking at either the 10" HD or 12" HD sub. I have also been eying the PA-120 and not sure if the quality is better with that sub. This seems to be the only place for reviews for the acoustic audio subs as I can't find any other reviews on it.
I would trust Big Daddy's perspective on these.

...Heck, I am.
- Orbis non Sufficit
================

Last edited by JJ; 04-05-2009 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:12 PM   #251
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2009
In the country

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJxiv1215 View Post
I would trust Big Daddy's perspective on these.

...Heck, I am.
After reading many of BD's post I would never argue his points as he seems to have vast knowledge in the audio area. I'm just torn between these two subs and don't know which way to swing. One could say I maybe over thinking a $200 sub.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:14 PM   #252
Blu-ray Guru

May 2008
Columbus, Ohio

Quote:
One could say I maybe over thinking a $200 sub.
YUP...
Old 04-05-2009, 05:20 PM   #253

Mar 2009
Default Erict

Erict i as well was cautious when wanting to buy these subs after getting my HD-10 and HD-12 about a week ago i can tell you i couldnt be happier with the purchase i made i shopped all the big stores as well for high end equiptment heard all the demos in the sound rooms and read all the great reviews on the more expensive subs. To be comepletely honest i cant tell a noticeable difference in the HD'S compared to the latter except for the extra cash i saved by going with the Acoustic Audio's. I am very happy with my prchase and have more than enough clean bass!!!
Old 04-05-2009, 05:49 PM   #254

Nov 2007

Quote:
lets put things into perspective then, considering that there isnt that much feedback on the web for these subs, and the fact that no testing has been done on them, im sure there are a number of people who second guess about buying them or not. truth be told, i too, was skeptical. the same tho can be said about ED's tho, they only recently boomed in the market, and had a number of people suddenly discover them and started the massive wave of people referring them on par with HSU's or SVS subwoofers.

but what would be your options though? you can always consider saving up that $200 and head towards buying into a prestine subwoofer like the ED's better yet the SVS PB10 or the HSU STF-2, bringing your cost into the $300 to $450 range. its definitely worth the investment, and i would argue that you would end up buying another subwoofer in the next 5 years or so. my argument tho is simple - i simply cant end up seeing myself paying that much money for such a subwoofer. maybe its preference, maybe its lunacy, but i dont see much dynamics in getting a subwoofer that can go that low. i like jazz, and well, its not necessarily the most important part of the band if you ask me.

you also have the options of buying a mainstream subwoofer, like the Polk PSW10 and/or the Dayton from Parts Express, and mod them yourself with polyfill and a riser. but then again, these mainstream subwoofers (with due respect of course), would cost you yet $100 give or take, which you KNOW will be spending on an upgrade afterwards.

lastly, you can end up building a sub yourself. as Big Daddy and myself has explained, $200 will not go far in such a field. you want to build something that is worth your while, and not be mediocre about it. Have you considered the innards of designing a subwoofer? how about parts? labor? the parts itself, ONE part would already hit the $200 mark to get the performance you want, plus others.

in closing, this may not be the best subwoofer in the world, but its not the worst either. ive read the specs, ive also considered BD's input on this, and justified its well within reach for $200. 20Hz at $200. not bad. not bad at all. mainstream subs go about 35Hz (which is normal, and, well, not bad IMO), but for $100 more you get around 80db of 20hz noise to rattle your cage.

i sort of promised myself im not going online today, heading out to china beach in san francisco with friends, so will see you folks soon enough. erict, i hope that i somehow have given some input towards your dillemna, and wish you the best in purchasing your new subwoofer. it took time for me to justify me buying mine, which makes it all worthwhile. see my previous postings on other threads, and this would reflect who i am in the field, and my stand towards certain HT theorems and background.

did i buy one?

yes.

enjoy your sundays folks. get outside and get some sunshine or something, you need a tan.
System is very busy now.
Thank you for visiting KONAMI ID portal.
We apologize for the inconvenience.
We would like you to try to access again in later.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:54 PM   #255
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2008
Milwaukee, WI

Heh, it's cold and rainy here. No suntanning for us for a few months probably.

Anyway, I want BD to get ahold of a PA-120 to see if my thoughts on it are correct. Personally, I think it's much better-looking aesthetically, and it probably performs as good if not better than the Acoustic Audio, since it'll hit 24hz at +-3db. It seems that on this forum I'm just about alone in my decision to purchase one.

*edit* Erict- lol, I see you're over on the AVS PA-120 thread too. Just buy one of them. You'll be happy.

Panasonic TC-P50G10 1080p Plasma | Onkyo 805 | PS3 Slim | Xbox360 | Wii | APC H10 | Harmony One
Def Tech BP6B Fronts | Def Tech CLR 2002 Center| Def Tech BP2X Surrounds | PA-120 Subwoofer

Last edited by aramis109; 04-05-2009 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:27 PM   #256
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2009
In the country

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomari View Post
lets put things into perspective then, considering that there isnt that much feedback on the web for these subs, and the fact that no testing has been done on them, im sure there are a number of people who second guess about buying them or not. truth be told, i too, was skeptical. the same tho can be said about ED's tho, they only recently boomed in the market, and had a number of people suddenly discover them and started the massive wave of people referring them on par with HSU's or SVS subwoofers.

but what would be your options though? you can always consider saving up that $200 and head towards buying into a prestine subwoofer like the ED's better yet the SVS PB10 or the HSU STF-2, bringing your cost into the $300 to $450 range. its definitely worth the investment, and i would argue that you would end up buying another subwoofer in the next 5 years or so. my argument tho is simple - i simply cant end up seeing myself paying that much money for such a subwoofer. maybe its preference, maybe its lunacy, but i dont see much dynamics in getting a subwoofer that can go that low. i like jazz, and well, its not necessarily the most important part of the band if you ask me.

you also have the options of buying a mainstream subwoofer, like the Polk PSW10 and/or the Dayton from Parts Express, and mod them yourself with polyfill and a riser. but then again, these mainstream subwoofers (with due respect of course), would cost you yet $100 give or take, which you KNOW will be spending on an upgrade afterwards.

lastly, you can end up building a sub yourself. as Big Daddy and myself has explained, $200 will not go far in such a field. you want to build something that is worth your while, and not be mediocre about it. Have you considered the innards of designing a subwoofer? how about parts? labor? the parts itself, ONE part would already hit the $200 mark to get the performance you want, plus others.

in closing, this may not be the best subwoofer in the world, but its not the worst either. ive read the specs, ive also considered BD's input on this, and justified its well within reach for $200. 20Hz at $200. not bad. not bad at all. mainstream subs go about 35Hz (which is normal, and, well, not bad IMO), but for $100 more you get around 80db of 20hz noise to rattle your cage.

i sort of promised myself im not going online today, heading out to china beach in san francisco with friends, so will see you folks soon enough. erict, i hope that i somehow have given some input towards your dillemna, and wish you the best in purchasing your new subwoofer. it took time for me to justify me buying mine, which makes it all worthwhile. see my previous postings on other threads, and this would reflect who i am in the field, and my stand towards certain HT theorems and background.

did i buy one?

yes.

enjoy your sundays folks. get outside and get some sunshine or something, you need a tan.

Thanks for the feedback jomari. I will give this some thought tonight as I await our 6 to 10 inch snowstorm coming
Old 04-05-2009, 07:27 PM   #257

Mar 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis109 View Post
Heh, it's cold and rainy here. No suntanning for us for a few months probably.

Anyway, I want BD to get ahold of a PA-120 to see if my thoughts on it are correct. Personally, I think it's much better-looking aesthetically, and it probably performs as good if not better than the Acoustic Audio, since it'll hit 24hz at +-3db. It seems that on this forum I'm just about alone in my decision to purchase one.

*edit* Erict- lol, I see you're over on the AVS PA-120 thread too. Just buy one of them. You'll be happy.
a lil review to go by... how accurate would you say this is http://www.hometheaterfocus.com/spea...coustics7.aspx

im still at a brick wall. with my choices.. im back and forth ,, cant decide..

acoustic audio.. svs,,, eD,,, premier acoustics...tca sasquatch-10
Old 04-05-2009, 07:37 PM   #258

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaejw1 View Post
a lil review to go by... how accurate would you say this is http://www.hometheaterfocus.com/spea...coustics7.aspx

I gave you the correct choice in an earlier post. Buy all of them and you won't have to worry about making the wrong choice.

After I bought the Acoustic Audio, I built a 15" high-end subwoofer. Currently I have about 7 subwoofers plus 2 computer subs. My wife believes that our house is fully subwooferized, but I am tempted to buy another Acoustic Audio sub.

I am hoping that they run out of all the models before I succumb to my crazy temptation.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:52 PM   #259

Mar 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
I gave you the correct choice in an earlier post. Buy all of them and you won't have to worry about making the wrong choice.

After I bought the Acoustic Audio, I built a 15" high-end subwoofer. Currently I have about 7 subwoofers plus 2 computer subs. My wife believes that our house is fully subwooferized, but I am tempted to buy another Acoustic Audio sub.

I am hoping that they run out of all the models before I succumb to my crazy temptation.
i hate talking to you.. .. every single time.. you bring reality back into play... dang you.. hopefully i can find someone in my area with the hdsub12 that i could demo... would love to put it side by side with my cheap crap im using now.. just to do a comparison of my own.. with music and movies.. i have tons of test cd's from my car audio days.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:36 PM   #260
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2009
In the country

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaejw1 View Post

What are "ED" subwoofers? Never heard of them.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers